• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 11, 2020

    Home Improvement: For the love of god buy cut resitant gloves and wear them.

    Home Improvement: For the love of god buy cut resitant gloves and wear them.


    For the love of god buy cut resitant gloves and wear them.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    I luckily can get them from work, but do not ever go cheap. A dude broke into our garage, its an older house so I'm replacing an entire window he broke. Turned out to be a neighbors ex husband who made off with my brand bew mower.

    But anyway, a piece sizeable piece just dropped on my hand, it's old glass and would have filleted me, but instead all I have is a step above a paper cut. The piece also hit the top of my boot, thank home improvement jesus that they are redwings.

    So the moral of the story is pull all the broken glass out of the window before distributing the frame. Also, never slouch on your ppe, because you cant sue yourself for workmans comp

    submitted by /u/IamtheBiscuit
    [link] [comments]

    Car Talk

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:30 AM PDT

    Hi folks,

    Back in the day there was a fantastic podcast called Car Talk. Basically, folks would call in, describe the problem with their cars, and two experts would give their opinion. The experts had all the incentive in the world to give advice that was in the best interest of the caller, since that builds up their reputation, their listeners, and ultimately their pockets.

    I would find something similar for home improvement / repair projects to be such a great resource, and wanted to ask if this already exists? An unbiased opinion like this would be so helpful. In fact, I would pay good money for someone to figure out the issue, but with incentives aligned so that they have no reason to prescribe a solution that is more than what I need. (Maybe that already exists?).

    I'm a first-time home owner with a damaged wall, and figuring out what needs to be done next to impossible. (I can go on a rant here, but I will restrain myself).

    submitted by /u/f0rgot
    [link] [comments]

    Tree Removal: is it cheaper to do this in the wintertime?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    I recently moved into a home in subdivision of a suburb that used to be a nursery, so there are a lot of old trees. I have one in my front yard that is a massive sequoia leaning heavily into the street. It has branches hanging over my house and even leaves touching the street. Occasionally when it's really windy, a huge branch or two will fall. It's hollow, dying and dangerous.

    My question for this group: I got quotes for removal ranging from $2,300 - $4,000. Family and friends tell me to wait until the winter and it'll be $500 to remove. No actual tree removal person has given an estimate that low.

    Has anyone waited and found cheaper removal options in the colder months?

    submitted by /u/simplevolcano
    [link] [comments]

    Can you buy doors other than prehung with frame?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 06:28 AM PDT

    EDIT thanks, got my answers. Thanks all.

    My neighbor wants to replace her door from her interior to her patio, which is currently all glass, with one that has built in doggie door. So I pictured just buying the single piece door "slab" that is 79 x 36 with built in dog door on bottom half of that. But all I see is prehung with the full frame included. Is it ok to just buy this, and toss the frame in the garbage if no other option? Meaning can we just put the new door itself on the 3 hinges? Or are the frames not all the same so perhaps there would be a gap putting it on the old hinges? Maybe not enough demand for these so they only sell the prehung option?

    For example.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steves-Sons-36-in-x-80-in-Classic-Clear-Half-Lite-RHIS-White-Primed-Fiberglass-Prehung-Back-Door-with-XL-Pet-Door-FWTH-36XLP-4IRH/302350530?MERCH=REC-_-rv_search_plp_rr-_-NA-_-302350530-_-N

    submitted by /u/thinkofanamefast
    [link] [comments]

    New laminate floor squeaks

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    Long story short, new (high) quality laminate is squeaky when you walk on it. I would say I followed all the instructions regarding preparation of the surface and also the installation. The only different thing is that the underfloor used is 5 mm and on the package they say to use 1-3 mm underfloor. I noticed this after I laid down the ground floor (approx 40 square meters) but I would say the thicker the underfloor is, the better for the final result. Now, I don't know if I should continue with this underfloor I already have on the first floor and in the attic or should I get a 3 mm underfloor. What else could be the reason of squeaky laminate? Someone told me it will stop doing this in a couple of months, but I dont believe this. The reason would be that it need time to adjust to the concrete floor under it.

    And the main question is: what I can do now, to stop the squeaking?

    submitted by /u/8cmc
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help finding and eliminating the awful cat pee smell.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    For some months, my wife and I have been slowly driven crazy by the terrible smell of cat pee. It all started right after we got the fireplace removed from our living room. That's where we smell it coming from the strongest. We've looked at everything in the room in close detail, nothing has any wetness or stains. I've looked all over with one of these guys and nothing has shown up.

    My wife and I are seemingly the only ones who smell it. Both our parents have come by several times and haven't smelled anything. The smell seems to come and go, because there are sometimes a couple days in a row I never smell a thing. It's making us think we're going insane. Does anyone have any suggestions for us before we're committed to a mental hospital?

    submitted by /u/jarredpickles87
    [link] [comments]

    Clear water comes out of old pipe during heavy rain

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 06:20 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me who I should try to find to help fix this. When we get a heavy rain I get clear water that comes up from an old disused pipe. The pipe doesn't run to or from anything, the new pvc pipe you can see is what replaced it. I know I can mitigate with my sump pump and all but I was wondering if there is someone who could come and try to actually fix the problem rather than just use the pump to get the water out after it's already come in. This link shows a very badly shot video I took of the issue:https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPBQFz5wj5pQiSESVMsAUy7EEiywZfI2OtOoblEeoNDIqrm2pgdWdFWXThbz5f6ew?key=cjZqVHlFY1Y1dmYzRkhuQVAzNWVBbW92LTQ3Y0FR Thanks in advance. I apologize for the thrilling commentary on the video, I had shot it for the plumbers that put in the new pvc pipe but when they came out they said that it looked like the water was coming up from the ground right there and that them replacing the pipe was not the cause.

    submitted by /u/Preparation-Which
    [link] [comments]

    Is carpet so bad?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    Ive been planning out some upcoming projects including new floor coverings in a few rooms. I was looking at doing carpet in a few rooms but everyone ive been talking to has been reacting to that like its the stupidest, grossest idea ever. Is carpet suddenly out of style or something? Everyone is telling me to go laminate/hardwood for the entire house. ...i want to feel carpet under my feet sometimes, does that make me a bad guy?

    submitted by /u/The123123
    [link] [comments]

    Moved an outlet 12 inches

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    I had to move an outlet about a foot and created a small loop. I think this is fine but just wanted to check. Thanks

    outlet

    submitted by /u/single_dad_of_2
    [link] [comments]

    Any digital tools for mapping the electrical wiring in my house?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    I recently bought a house and am going to start some projects involving lighting soon. I'm looking to map out the wiring and get an understanding of everything. Some of the circuits are a little...unintuitive. I know how to check with the breaker and a multimeter to see what outlets are on what circuits but want to know if there's a good digital way of organizing my findings visually. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/PoopOnMyNoggin
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with leftovers from brush?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    Hey all, boyfriend and I just purchased our first house 9/25 and have been hard at work fixing it up. There was a huge thing of overgrown brush that I've chopped down. We want to get rid of it and hopefully grow grass there one day. There are so many individual sticks with roots and we are not sure the most effective way to get down in there and remove it all, roots and all. We are hoping we might be able to rent some piece of equipment vs buying something we are only going to be using once (hopefully) but honestly not sure what we should be looking for. Any advice?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/BeF1kQz

    Pics in the link. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/xstarlesseyess
    [link] [comments]

    Any reason why not to seal this up? (space around gas pipe entry into home)

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    I can't figure out why this was left unsealed. There was a cover over it at one time, so maybe previous owner figured not important? Seems like I would want to seal up the area around the pipe. it's about 1/4 to 3/4 inch gap around the pipe.

    Can anyone see any reason why not to seal this up? I figure I would just use some spare caulking from another project.

    https://imgur.com/QsdscV7

    submitted by /u/dctimmer
    [link] [comments]

    Converting 5 bd 2 ba to a 3b 3 ba

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:27 PM PDT

    I'm looking into buying a fixer upper and have an interest in one that has a pretty odd layout. It has 2 very small bedrooms at the front of the house that are basically useless (like on either side of the front door where you would imagine a formal living or dining room to be). One of the small bedrooms shares a wall with the medium sized room next to it so I just wanted to take down that wall and make it one very large room that will then have enough space for a private bathroom to be added. The other small bedroom can actually basically stay the same but I just think it would make more since to be modeled as an office.

    Anyway, I'm wondering how big of an effect this could have on resell.

    submitted by /u/pomegranatelover1990
    [link] [comments]

    Squeeky floors in 120 ish yr old house

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 06:54 AM PDT

    I live in a 120 ish year lod house with crooked floors and the rest of it. The floors have 1/2 -3/4 inch thick boards 4 inches wide laid across the joists and then another layer of thin narrow hardwood going the direction of the joists ontop of that. The floor is super squeeky. This is a BIG problem for the floors above the bedrooms. What is the best way, and what is the most cost effective/labour effective way to make it end?

    submitted by /u/magpies4life
    [link] [comments]

    Bought new house - should I re-use the old plastic waterline to the fridge through the crawl space?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    Hei hivemind,

    I am wondering if it is safe to reuse an existing waterline from sink to fridge. It looks like it has not been connected for a while.

    Any tips/hints are appreciated.

    Grouchy DB

    submitted by /u/Grouchy-Database6635
    [link] [comments]

    Rafter span\size question

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    For a pergola what size should the rafters be if they need to span 16 feet? Currently have 2x10's at 20 ft rafters on order but wondering if I could step down to 2x8's. These rafters will be resting on a single 2x10 Beam resting into a notch cut into the top of the 6x6 posts.

    https://imgur.com/a/Z7BEOX5

    submitted by /u/EricOfSeattle
    [link] [comments]

    Fence in front yard, yay or nay

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:04 PM PDT

    Would it have any impact on my homes value to fence in my front yard? It would be chain link, continuing from the back yard. I have a dog, and our outdoor times kind of have to be coordinated with the neighbors dog so they don't bark at each other. Most of the time it seems playful but annoying nonetheless.

    I would love a privacy fence but those don't really seem to go in a front yard. Except for a shield type, of which I love the look.

    I don't intend to fence in the entire yard, maybe ten feet out?

    submitted by /u/mystymaples71
    [link] [comments]

    I was told my chimney is too short compared to my next-door neighbor and the electric company wanted to shut down my electricity. Is this possible?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    The next-door neighbor added an extra floor to his building. He needed my mom's signature and she was okay with it. Two months ago the electric company said my chimney is too short compared to the next-door neighbor and wanted to shut down my electricity and gas. He started screaming at my mom telling her she is committing suicide and asking her "Don't you get sick!??" She said no and he said "I'm shutting down the electric and gas." I called the gas company told them he harassed my mom and made a big enough stink where they brought someone over and turned it back on. Does my chimney have to be taller than my next-door neighbor?

    tl;dr Does my chimney have to be taller than my next-door neighbor's property?

    I'm in NJ btw

    submitted by /u/The0Walrus
    [link] [comments]

    How do I prep this surface for paint? Pic included.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:47 AM PDT

    So I'm staying at my in-laws for free right now and to say thank you I've offered to replace their vanity. The one they chose is 3 piece, and the two side pieces sit a little lower than the original. I'm going to paint the whole bathroom anyways, so no big deal.

    BUT, I don't know what this surface is. It looks paper based, so I dont think I can just sand and prime it. Not sure what to do next. Any tips are appreciated!

    https://imgur.com/a/kX3G6As

    submitted by /u/goppeldanger
    [link] [comments]

    Is metal roofing worth it?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    I got a claim back from my insurance for $11,000 to replace my roof.

    My house is only 1,200 sqft and I have heard metal roofs are pretty good. I don't even know what the cost is but I am going to get 3 estimates.

    Just wanted to hear y'all a opinions and if $11,000 would cover roof install, it's a typical gable roof

    submitted by /u/throwaway78978976
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with Recessed Lights

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    I was hoping for some help with a minor issue. About 15 years ago we put in recessed lighting in our kitchen. In the last 8 months as the lights burned out we would replace them with new incandescent bulbs. Increasingly, we find the bulbs don't fit the sockets. The lights are the same in every way according to the box (we've tried multiple), but they don't screw in right. If I take an older bulb from a different socket, the old bulb works in the other socket, but the new build doesn't work in either.

    Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/ThomasSMagnumPI
    [link] [comments]

    Our cat tore through the flexible air duct. Is this a project within DIY reach?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 11:17 AM PDT

    The thermostat wasn't turning the heat on recently, so I headed to the basement to find Bernie sticking his head out of some flexible duct which he had torn a big hole in. I think it's the cool air return portion.

    I don't have any experience with HVAC, but consider myself fairly handy. Do you think I can reasonably replace this section of vent? Any tips for me? Thank you!

    Images

    submitted by /u/aleksandrovna
    [link] [comments]

    Help! I'm trying to winterize/enclose my Brooklyn apartment balcony for the long COVID winter! Anyone think there's a better way?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:05 PM PDT

    I live with my roommate on the 6th floor of an apartment building, and we have a nice-sized balcony -- approx. 7' x 15' ft. -- facing the inside courtyard of the building (which is itself enclosed on three sides).

    We're trying to find a way to somewhat enclose the space for the winter without significantly altering the structure or paying lots and lots of money. I have googled the hell out of this, but can't find any examples of someone else doing it.

    We have rod iron railings, and the roof of the building extends out over our balcony, already enclosing it from above. We know we won't get total enclosure, but blocking out most of the wind and much of the cold would be a huge improvement on doing nothing.

    Our plan so far: We are considering hanging a custom sized heavy-duty see-through plastic tarp from the rod iron railings on the roof above, and fastening them to the bottom of our railings (the tarp we want to buy has reinforced metal grommets on the sides). At the moment I'm considering hanging the plastic with paracord, since it's strong, cheap and suitable for outdoor use. And a nice gray will blend in with the concrete. This first photo shows where we envision the plastic going -- it would wrap around the outside of the railings. I've also included photos of the railings themselves.

    Then, in the space between the railings and the floor of the balcony, we'd attach something to insulate/keep wind and cold out (thinking either pool noodles with paracord fed through the center and tied to the railing base, or snake sandbags).

    Toward the outdoor shared stairwell, there is a walkway between the railing and the wall by our patio door that we'd probably hang another separate plastic panel to block, but fasten the mid-point with just a bow so that we could move through it quickly if needed.

    As an aside, I've reviewed our lease and there's nothing explicitly saying we can't do something like this, except POSSIBLY a clause about projections added on to the building. These are not defined in the lease and the example leading to it is an awning, which I don't think I'm proposing.

    But I'd still like to limit what we add on (I'm trying to avoid building any official structure). I'm thinking that just a long sheet of plastic is almost like a curtain and less likely to cause complaint, especially with a hands-off building manager and chill super.

    If we can't hang the plastic, I thought we could affix tall metal poles to certain points in the railing and attach the plastic to the tops of those. But I think this method would let a little more air in, because if we hang the plastic sheet, it would overlap the concrete ceiling a bit and be pulled taut.

    Anyway, maybe this is an insane idea but we'd love any advice re: this plan. Is there a better way to do this? Is it dumb to even try? Just trying to find a way to enjoy being outside year-round, since we're anticipating another shutdown at some point.

    Tldr: how can I safely, cheaply and sturdily winterize / enclose my apartment's balcony?

    submitted by /u/kelly4dayz
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about chalk finish white cabinets but my pantry door and door to the garage will also be white but with a semigloss finish?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    The upper cabinets will be chalk finish white and the bottom will be a shade of blue. But my pantry door and trims are semigloss. Would that look odd? Should i change the finish of the cabinets or door frames? Walls are eggshell.

    submitted by /u/ladysnowbloos
    [link] [comments]

    Holes on sub floor

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    Our new carpet goes in tomorrow and we noticed that holes were made in the sub floor. Does anyone know what this is for and why?

    submitted by /u/lrlr20
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment