• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 7, 2020

    Home Improvement: Posted a few weeks ago looking for advice on whether to tear down or repair the deck on our new house—husband and I chose to repair it and thought we’d share what we did. Advice/constructive criticism is welcome!!

    Home Improvement: Posted a few weeks ago looking for advice on whether to tear down or repair the deck on our new house—husband and I chose to repair it and thought we’d share what we did. Advice/constructive criticism is welcome!!


    Posted a few weeks ago looking for advice on whether to tear down or repair the deck on our new house—husband and I chose to repair it and thought we’d share what we did. Advice/constructive criticism is welcome!!

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    I turned a fuel oil storage bunker into a root cellar

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 05:53 AM PDT

    I live in a house built in the 70's in southern Finland and recently switched from oil central heating to a geothermal one. That meant that the former oil storage tank placed under the garage in a small 6 square meter (~65 square foot) concrete bunker was no longer necessary, so I thought I'd turn it into a root/wine cellar.

    The project involved a lot of concrete casting, tiling, cutting 2 by 4s into blocks for the floor, a lot of burnt wood finishes and and a tiny bit of metalworking and electrical stuff.

    The part I don't know anything about is about ventilation in a root cellar, currently it has next to nothing (except small cracks in the hatch), so if that's something I should worry about, I'd be happy to hear about it.

    Here's a link to the album: https://imgur.com/a/y6W1bRh

    submitted by /u/Kelpo
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get multiple quotes without taking advantage of contractors time?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    I'm a new homeowner and want to repair my deck. I want to call multiple contractors to get a range for how much this project will cost. How do I go about getting multiple quotes knowing that some of these will not be selected for the job? or is that okay? Sorry if this is a no brainer.

    submitted by /u/alligator412
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone hate metal studs as much as I do? Help please, new here.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    Hello ladies and gentlemen. I'm a total noob online, well at least I feel like one. I've been lurking though, since way back when say, folks lived within their means. Anyway, I got a new Apartment in the city I commute to. It is in a studio in a very old industrial building. Epoxied concrete floors, the works. Most of the wall space is drywall and the rest is brick. Love the brick, I can drive a masonry screw right into the mortar where it is strong. The drywall though, is all masking metal studs.

    The layout of these studs has me inventing cuss words and plotting murders. It would seem that there is not a lick of space between them or more like there is a wall (of steel) behind the wall. I'm 90% sure that it is not aluminum, I've gone at it with all kinds of bits and fasteners and there is no easy way to drive a quick screw up in it, should I need to hang a portrait of myself on a stead.

    I'm hoping that someone out there has some experience with this and maybe has a go-to for making quick work of putting fasteners in the wall. I'm not too proud but do want to state that for the most part, I'm pretty handy and usually "make it work". I inherited every tool under the sun when my father died, he was my guy for this stuff and he could fix anything. I love using his tools and learning new things and hope to pass on the same knowledge. Please help, sorry for over sharing and embellishing. Cheers from ground zero, Richmond, Va.

    submitted by /u/turfninja
    [link] [comments]

    UV Window Film?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    My house has a single bradford pear tree (I hate on it but I just bought the thing) and so gets basically no shade for most of the day. I live in the south, so it's a problem. Does anyone have experience with DIY UV window film? Does it keep your house cooler? Does it kill your indoor plants? (I'm actually pretty worried about this aspect) My main question is does it work, and which type do? I love all the sun coming in, but I'm looking for options that let me keep the sun but lose some heat. I put up blinds when I moved in, but I'd like to keep them open for the sun. Lived in a small dark apartment before this where I had to keep everything closed. I'm open to temporary or permanent options, but diy rather than someone coming in to install.

    submitted by /u/Laurelwoodsong
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Brad Nails Do What They Want

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    Nailing some trim to the edge of 1x4s today, I learned that brad nails sometimes decide to make an abrupt turn and come out right where a thoughtless person (i.e., me) has their finger. Went in through my middle fingernail and under the nail about 1/4".

    So, if you have as little common sense as I seem to and read this before your project, don't assume the brad nail is going to stay on the path you're aiming.

    submitted by /u/justlurking278
    [link] [comments]

    Laser cross beams

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    Doing alot of bathroom remodels and was wondering which laser level cross beams are reliable for tiling walls and floors. Trying not to spend a fortune on it though .

    submitted by /u/Eustwice_R_Deewoh
    [link] [comments]

    I'm thinking of alternatives to excavating my backyard by hand with a shovel. I've been thinking of renting a skid steer but I've never used one. Is it easy to learn/maneuver?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    The area being excavated is 35' x 10' and will be excavated to a depth of 8 inches.

    This is the machine I'd be renting: https://www.compactpowerrents.com/rental-equipment/skid-steer/skid-steer-tracked-roc-700-1200-lb/

    So how hard is it to learn?

    Aside from renting a skid steer, I've thought about hiring help to do the digging.

    submitted by /u/Zappa-
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice mounting my monitor to a wall

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    Hello there! Novice DIY-Er here and I need some help mounting my 38 inch monitor. Here is my current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/5YwqaxH

    The monitor (without the stand of course) is about 20 pounds and I don't have an available stud to mount it on. It's either too far to the left, too high, or too far to the right. My home is an old house, so it's mostly concrete behind my drywall.

    After much failure and throwing my tools down in frustration, I've decided to come here. Is there a way to anchor this thing to the wall without a stud? It's only 20 pounds, and I'm sure somebody probably has pulled this off. Here's my plan, while I wait for somebody to help.

    1: Putty the wall, fill the holes and smooth it out and let it dry out while I sleep and sulk over my failure.

    2: Sand down, putty and fill again (if needed), then re-sand and paint over to make it like I'm starting from scratch.

    3: Go to Home Depot and hope somebody here helps me figure out how to anchor this to my wall. I'm just 21, so I'm not an expert at these things.

    Help please!

    submitted by /u/ThePoorCollegeKid
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good layout???

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    Looking for some feedback on a potential layout to install a 1st floor bathroom. Exterior doors and windows cannot be moved. My poo stack is highlighted in the second picture. That wall cannot be removed, it is not structural, but most of my HVAC is there.

    It creates a weird room (long wall) where the dining room was. Dining will be moved to the back when that wall comes down.

    https://imgur.com/a/eweEDDJ

    submitted by /u/notquark
    [link] [comments]

    Should we do it ourselves or hire someone?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    Last week husband and I built a brick patio. It's located at the bottom of our backyard, down a hill. Not a HUGE hill; I mow it with a push mower, and consider it my workout for the day.

    Because it's at the bottom of the hill, I'd like to build stairs that lead down to the patio. Maybe three or four steps at most.

    Husband threw out the idea of a retaining wall as well, to divert rainwater and mud away from the patio.

    I find the idea of building a wall and stairs crazy intimidating. I asked our general contractor what he would charge us to do it. He said ballpark around 1400.00, from soup to nuts.

    So now I'm left with the universal question. Which one do I want to spend: time or money?

    We can afford the GC. It would take a big bite out of our savings, but the job would be done correctly.

    OR.

    We can do as much research as we can and tackle it ourselves. We built the patio, and it's lovely. We redid our master bathroom last year, and it's great. But stairs and a wall? I don't know.

    So what would YOU do?

    submitted by /u/GTFOakaFOD
    [link] [comments]

    Generators: Kohler vs Generac vs whatever

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    So let's talk generators. I need a standby propane generator at about 20kW and I can't make heads or tails of the options. My electrician says Kohler is the best, and of course we all know Generac. Even within those two I have a hard time telling the difference between models. Can someone recommend what I should be doing, or at least educate me?

    submitted by /u/hamhead
    [link] [comments]

    Self leveling compound question!

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    We are putting LVP down in a 19x18 room. We just got the carpet pulled up and there are some spots that dip down about 1/2 inch while other parts are level and some are only a slight dip. That being said, do we need to cover the entire room with SLC or can we just pour over the spots that really need it? Would it be more work to not do the whole room or will it really self level to where it won't cause a bump between the SLC and just straight concrete?

    submitted by /u/MissXmasBaby
    [link] [comments]

    Will a small fridge raise my room's relative humidity?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    I bought a fridge (3.2 cube ft) some time ago and I am thinking about moving it to my office room. However, I have lots of books in my room and an important spike in rh can damage them on the long. Will it raise the rh in my room?

    Btw, I am waiting for a dehumidifier I bought some days ago, I think it may help

    submitted by /u/Alone_Sandwich
    [link] [comments]

    Should I use a Hole Saw, Paddle, or Forstner Bit for particle board?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:50 PM PDT

    I'm trying to cut a 2 inch hole in the top of a desk I'm building. I've read a few threads where all have been recommended, but I want to know which is best. I rather not screw up the top and have to get a new one. As it's all put together, I should've planned a bit more.

    Thanks for the help :)

    submitted by /u/DylanCO
    [link] [comments]

    Crack in Drywall

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    So, there's a nice long crack down my drywall, which I tried putting over, but it jut keeps cracking. There's a metal beam behind the drywall, which I guess makes for bigger expansions and contractions with the temperature differences? Is there's more durable solution that doesn't involve reinstalling the drywall? Thanks in advance!

    Here's a pic

    submitted by /u/free__upvotes
    [link] [comments]

    Missing dryer vent.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    We recently purchased a home on Tucson, AZ. It's been nicely updated and everything I've seen with regard to the renovation looks to have been done well and correctly, except the dryer vent. The washer/dryer closet is an interior space so no direct route to an outdoor wall. It's a Santa Fe style house so the roof is flat. They didn't run 220v so we're stuck with a gas dryer. There's no basement so it has to go up. While it would be possible to run a duct between the eaves and vent to a wall, the easiest and less destructive way would be to vent out the roof. The internet disagrees a lot about venting to the roof but we don't get snow so ice isn't a problem. Anything I should be aware of or are there any suggestions on how I should install it?

    submitted by /u/EatRightDieAnyway
    [link] [comments]

    Carbon monoxide detector occasionally beeping

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    I own a 5 unit apartment building and the CO detector in the attic where the furnaces are beeps occasionally. It beeps 4 times as if there is carbon monoxide, but it stops after a few minutes and then starts again a few hours or sometimes days later. The heat is all off in the building. Could this just be a faulty detector or could something more serious be going on? How do I go about figuring out what's wrong?

    submitted by /u/Relarela
    [link] [comments]

    Help Request: DIY Pavers reinstall/redo.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 05:03 PM PDT

    TLDR: Never done pavers, asking for help

    East Coast

    Long version: It's FINALLY dry, and the back yard pavers came loose and my boys pulled them up.

    Here's the pictures: (Before)

    I'm able-bodied to do the work, I have most basic tools minus a brick/stone cutter so I'd like not have to cut any stones but :) hey, much appreciated. Any suggestions or starting points on ...anything would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

    submitted by /u/DarkJester89
    [link] [comments]

    Need help rewiring my doorbell chimes, pics in comments

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I have an arlo doorbell camera that I've used for about 6mos. now. It works great, however when I first installed it, my downstairs chime wouldn't work properly. So, I put wire nuts on it to silence it and rely on just my upstairs chime. Problem is, the upstairs chime is always "whirring".

    I havent figured out how to power the video doorbell without

    1. The downstairs chimes whirring (I have it disconnected now and in the pic so it doesn't chime, the upstairs does when the doorbell is pressed)
    2. The upstairs chimes whirring

      Upstairs Chime Wiring Downstairs Chime Wiring

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/torpid_tapir
    [link] [comments]

    Stoop Improvement

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    Hey all. Just curious if anyone has any ideas about how I can reasonably cheaply make my ugly poured concrete stoop look a bit nicer. I'd ideally redo the whole thing with nice brick or something like that, but that's not in the budget right now. Is there a way to "refinish" this area so that it looks a bit nicer? Thin coat of concrete or paint or something?

    Appreciate any ideas!

    https://imgur.com/gallery/PEvUoKR

    submitted by /u/almostjay
    [link] [comments]

    Close crawl space A/C vents in summer?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    Lots of mixed opinions on google so I turn to Reddit!

    I live in IL with hot and humid summers. Would it be more efficient to close my vents in the crawl space or leave them open?

    submitted by /u/I34rt0s
    [link] [comments]

    Want to run ~12 cat5/6 cables from the basement to the attic.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    Old house with some brick walls has led me to need more than 1 wireless access point. I'd also like to add PoE security cameras and some extra wall drops in rooms with no basement access.

    Should I put a conduit in that holds all of them or just run them up through a wall haphazardly?

    submitted by /u/epaphras
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have experience with the company Prime Cabinetry?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    Trying to order some RTA cabinets from them online, the specs check out pretty good (3/4 inch shelves, 1/2 inch solid wood dovetailed drawers, solid birch doors, etc) and I love their interface. Just wanted to see if this is too good to be true, I've heard bad things about national RTA retailers.

    submitted by /u/blueChinchbug
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment