• Breaking News

    Monday, October 12, 2020

    Home security: Time for Home security.

    Home security: Time for Home security.


    Time for Home security.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 04:29 PM PDT

    Hello Everyone.

    Never had problems in our neighborhood for years but all of a sudden cars around us are getting broken into, and a home. I been trying to research alarm systems but everything is Ring, i dont think its high quality enough.

    I'm looking to get a few High quality cameras for the outside. I want to be able to actually see people. I'm planning on installing some good flood lights around the garage area and entrances. What do you guys prefer? I'm willing to spend some good money. The more convenient to install everything the better.

    submitted by /u/Misterious27
    [link] [comments]

    Compilation of cellular cameras available in Australia

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 02:23 AM PDT

    So I've been looking into getting a cellular camera for convenience of deploying it wherever I want and not being dependent on any sort of internet connection or power. My primary use case is to have video recording triggered when detecting a person and sending me some sort of notification immediately on detection. I don't require cloud storage either.

    What I don't like (and is unavoidable) is having to use the manufacturer's software in order to monitor it. Does this not render the camera useless if the company suddenly went bust? By the looks of it, the cellular cameras avaiable are only compatible with their app, so I'm spending up to $600 to essentially lock myself into their ecosystem. Yes, technically I don't have to buy it but no company offers anything different so I'll have to deal with it.

    Hoping to spark some discussion surrounding availability, reviews of the list below, and anything in between.

    After a lot of reading it looks like there are 3 main companies that offer this:

    Reolink ~$375

    This seems like the popular choice here and it has optional cloud storage which seems to be only if I want to save it to the cloud, otherwise it can save to a local SD card.

    Uncertain but assumed is that it allows local storage + notifications (push AND email) as a free feature. Bad news is that if it's stolen you (obviously) can't access the cloud but I guess you'll get a notification and email anyway of who did it.

    Possibly carrier locked to Telstra / Vodaphone but no comments as to whether MVNO's work. (e.g. AldiMobile uses Telstra's network)

    Arlo Go ~$575

    Not much info on this although it belongs to Netgear. They just reshuffled their plans recently but it comes with the Arlo basic plan which doesn't expire and has 7 days motion-audio recording.

    As much as I like the small form factor, it cost $4.50 per month for any sore of detection notification.

    Uniden guardian solo 4G (with solar panel) $650 (can't find standalone price without solar)

    Similar to the Reolink in terms of features, although I (and possibly many others) recognise Uniden more and possibly have more (irrational) brand confidence just based off of name alone. I will say there's a lot less talk about Uniden than Reolink in this subreddit.

    Comes with the typical 7 day history, with instant push/email/sound alerts and a local sd card backup. Coming at almost twice the price as the Reolink, it's a hard sell given that they have the same features.

    Also I literally just noticed that they have the EXACT same physical design. (who came first?)

    Extras/Alternatives (Trail cams)

    Trail cams are an interesting bunch, comes with features you don't typically see in the security camera categories, they have different use cases and some may converge into those who want to use it for security rather than wildlife so the option is there. Prices are about the same as security cameras. They look like the OG security cameras without the markup.

    There are a bunch of trail cam shops online, closest to my use case is the Spypoint link-micro ($360). Although it only sends an image, you get 100 photos a month without any extra cost.

    These are generally made to suffer tough conditions in the outback, which is great! Although they are generally a lot larger less inconspicuous as they have large antennas. Some of these trail cams work without apps and solely off messaging meaning they don't rely on the company staying afloat to upkeep their app!

    SIM plans

    Some cameras above are locked to certain carriers and I can't confirm whether MVNO's work. On top of that, not many operators offer long term (generally 365 day) plans with the low data a cellular camera generally takes. My specific use case, I probably wouldn't use more than 5GB for the year.

    I have currently found AldiMobile offering $95 for 30GB on a 365 day plan. They also offer PAYG at $0.05 per MB, but that adds up to $50 per GB.. Would like to see if anyone has found a better plan.

    What am I going with?

    I honestly have no idea and the lack of information for a cellular camera doesn't help, it's quite a niche use case. But for me, knowing immediately when something is happening is pretty important.

    I'll likely go for Reolink but I'm eyeing off Uniden. I haven't looked too much into trail cams but if I find more smaller form factors like the Spypoint link-micro, I might consider it - depends if I can compromise having no video and only images since I will still be able to get instant notifications.

    submitted by /u/HistoricalJellyfish0
    [link] [comments]

    Home security abroad ?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I want to buy either 2-3 cameras for my grandparents house (outside of the usa) and I would like to be able to control them from over here (USA). By controlling is just seeing the video feed and troubleshoot easily. I know I would have to installed them myself and there is stable internet at their location but what brand, or type of cameras would you recommend? I want them to be safe and they don't feel safe anymore so they asked me to get them some security cameras just so they don't have to worry. Please let me know I would really appreciate it

    submitted by /u/yogurtLover2
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for Home Security

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    My friend is looking for suggestions for a camera security in hope of finding/stopping a parcel thief. He says he's looking for something ~$350, two cameras; one outside for porch and one inside. He can't mess with the wiring in the residence due to him being a renter so it rules out some possible options. Other features he mentioned were wireless, SD or Cloud is fine, wide camera and good quality video. Night vision and love streaming. He said he's looking at Blink XT2 and Eufy at the moment, but the reviews are really mixed.

    What do you guys think?

    Thanks so much! If I can help with providing any additional information, please feel free to ask.

    submitted by /u/sakuaya
    [link] [comments]

    Unhappy with Ring camera performance

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    Installed a Ring 2 doorbell and a wireless battery powered camera about a 3 weeks ago. The doorbell isn't too bad. About what I expected but the camera is honestly pretty disappointing. It regularly fails to pick up motion and record when there's motion and the battery life is pitiful. Its been installed for 3 weeks or so snd the battery is at 70% as of today. That sucks.

    So, while I will probably keep the doorbell i will looking for something to replace the camera. I only bought one because I wanted to see how well it worked before buying more and im happy I did.

    Any suggestions for camera systems? Looking for entry level to mid level systems. Honestly I may just go with a service if I can't find anything that looks really good. But I'd like to hear from anyone here as well.

    submitted by /u/TNLongrange
    [link] [comments]

    Just moved - 3 outdoor cameras installed

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Just moved into a house with three outdoor cameras pre-installed. There is a set of wires coming out of the wall upstairs which I'm assuming are part of the camera system. I know that I need a DVR to get these cameras up and running but I'm not sure about how to provide power to the cameras.

    Even though there are only three cameras (that I can see) coming out of the wall there are: - 3 yellow wires that I assume connect directly to the cameras - 5 red wires that look like power cords - 1 CAT5 line I've included pictures of each of the wires: https://imgur.com/a/veZTbdB/

    In an ideal world I would love for these cameras to interface with HomeKit. I know that I would need to purchase a Rasberry Pi and install homebridge.

    Any recommendations on DVR and additional equipment I would need would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/shhhhhgotosleep
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding the right security system

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 07:23 AM PDT

    So I already have a camera system around the house wired in. I'm looking for sowmthing audible for windows and doors. I don't want a monthly subscription. I need 12 window and two door sensors. I'd like to have something with a code and when armed they're all active when unarmed they are all off. Arm when leaving or at night otherwise no worry of the noise if someone opens a window while we're home. Is this system like I want available or an option? Just tryin to figure out options. Thank you

    submitted by /u/realbarbeque
    [link] [comments]

    Continuous recording security camera?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    Maybe someone can help me. I'm looking to purchase a continuous recording security camera, but I've yet to find one in my price range ($200 max). I don't just want motion or sound recording, I want recording 24/7 and the ability to download clips. I'm willing to spend up to $200 plus reasonable yearly cloud storage costs, or if I can use my cloud storage, even better.

    Any recommendations?

    Update: I realized I had a NEST camera I wasn't using, and they offer 24/7 recording for $120/year. I need something to fight back the fines my upstairs neighbor is trying to cause me from our condo association. He torments my dogs to bark by dropping things and pounding on his floor (my ceiling) and then reports us to the association for a noise complaint. I know ridiculous, but some people have nothing better to do with their lives than terrorize dogs.

    submitted by /u/ElementGeek
    [link] [comments]

    ~8 Port PoE Managed Switch Reccomendation for Home CCTV Network

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 06:36 AM PDT

    Hi a friend has asked me to design a home CCTV system on a budget. I've come up with a rough design:

    https://imgur.com/rsMLEPo

    He wants to view CCTV on his laptop, phone etc. I don't want to broadcast all the CCTV traffic over his home network - so planning on using some layer 3 VLANs on a manged PoE switch. I'm an eterprise network engineer but have no idea on small business/home products. Could anyone suggest an 8 Port PoE Managed Switch which could be used for this application. Budgest is <£100, willing to buy used off ebay. Thanks

    submitted by /u/thecebbster
    [link] [comments]

    some cool sites to see how safe you are

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    hey everyone, there's a lot of bs out there that cost a shit ton and do terrible jobs of telling you how safe you are. here, i will give you some of my favorite security check.

    so, i'll just list them out here

    1. CityProtect
    2. NeighborhoodScout
    3. FamilyWatchdog
    4. Nextdoor
    5. SpotCrime
    6. Moving's City Profile Reports
    7. CrimeMapping

    that's it, if you want to have quick summaries and links to those tools, here's the source: https://www.defiel.com/how-safe-is-your-neighborhood/

    thank you and warmest regards

    submitted by /u/Defiel1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment