• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 11, 2020

    Home security: Looking for advice - woman living alone, which security and defense options should I go with?

    Home security: Looking for advice - woman living alone, which security and defense options should I go with?


    Looking for advice - woman living alone, which security and defense options should I go with?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm moving into a new house soon, and it'll be the first time living alone that wasn't in an apartment. Up until now I've never really thought about home defense or security.

    One-level home, under 1000 sq ft. Suburban area. I have 15 ground-floor windows, and two doors going in/out of both entrances. I don't honestly think the area is that bad but I know some folks would say otherwise. It's mostly drugs, not really violent crime. I don't really hear about break-ins. My neighborhood in general seems nice with good neighbors. It's a corner lot so pretty much my whole yard is visible and it's on a busier street.

    I have a carport instead of a garage so it is obvious when I'm not there unless I take my bike. I'm close to everything so I bike to work a lot and the car stays home.

    My main question is - do you think it would be best to go with option 1: an alarm system (like Ring, SimpliSafe, etc that I can set up myself), along with wired 4k outdoor cameras, or option 2: just the wired cameras and some door + window alarm sensors (that aren't linked to a monitored system)?

    I do have a dog (pit) and will probably have another sooner rather than later (not for security reasons, he just needs a sibling lol) and my permit to carry. I feel comfortable and safe about being home alone, it's moreso when I'm gone. I thought maybe just having the general alarm sensors on doors and windows would be a deterrent if things were to ever get that far and I'll get notifications from my cameras anyway. I plan on reenforcing both doors in both entrances with steel doors without windows, long screws in the frame, better deadbolts etc. Getting flood lights. I keep a radio on for my dog while I'm gone too.

    Edit to add: I have those small basement windows too. Was planning on putting security film on them and reenforcing those with good locks though you'd have to be pretty slim to wiggle through those I think.

    What are your thoughts and opinions? Should I get a security system or stick with just the cameras?

    submitted by /u/bigthrowawayenergy09
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm.com vs. something else

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    Hey,

    This morning, I found a random baseball on the curb in front of my house. I am absolutely sure that this is a marker for my house to be broken into this week.

    I have been researching and I saw that I have a local company that uses Alarm.com for their system. Should I go with local vendors or something national like ADT or Vivent?

    I heard that ADT is the best system in the country. The other day a door to door ADT salesman came by and I let him into every room and backyard to closely look around to give me a good recommend. I saw that he had no work badge so I couldn't get his name.

    submitted by /u/GarageRich
    [link] [comments]

    Preventing False Motion Detection Alerts

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    I purchased and installed an ANNKE 8CH Security Surveillance System a few weeks ago, but I keep getting false alerts at night from, I'm assuming, the bugs flying around.

    Any ideas? I've lowered the sensitivity to the lowest setting before zero and it'll still go off 20-50 times every night.

    submitted by /u/MasterAlthalus
    [link] [comments]

    Plastic Windows?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    I'm thinking of making my own windows with hardwood frames and a layer of polycarbonate sandwiched between two sheets of Acrylic plastic. How hard would it be to break one?

    submitted by /u/Trench_Ratt
    [link] [comments]

    How reliable is ring?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    So my wife and I just purchased our first home and want to install ring doorbell cam. How reliable is it? I've seen some post saying that it's delayed. Does it depend on how fast your WiFi connection is? Is there another brand that's more reliable or better than ring? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/jay_miah
    [link] [comments]

    Please help pick correct home system

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 07:56 AM PDT

    So I already have a camera system around the house wired in. I'm looking for sowmthing audible for windows and doors. I don't want a monthly subscription. I need 12 window and two door sensors. I'd like to have something with a code and when armed they're all active when unarmed they are all off. Arm when leaving or at night otherwise no worry of the noise if someone opens a window while we're home. Is this system like I want available or an option? Just tryin to figure out options. Thank you

    submitted by /u/realbarbeque
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment