• Breaking News

    Monday, April 20, 2020

    Home Improvement: Squirrel sealed in attic

    Home Improvement: Squirrel sealed in attic


    Squirrel sealed in attic

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    So I screwed up. I sealed a squirrel in my attic yesterday. I was so sure it was out and about when I was working up there and sealed the hole it was using. Because the hole was in a super-awkward location, I used a combination of hardware cloth and spray foam. Wouldn't be able to remove it easily.

    Anyway, having already screwed this up pretty royally, I'd appreciate any tips and wisdom people have.

    Planning on trapping it. Have a nonlethal squirrel trap coming tomorrow. I left a few peanuts, a raw almond, and some water up there to acclimate it to the intended bait and keep it alive for another day. Also aware I need to relocate it several miles away.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/dc_guy79
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Time sensitive. Hired contractor to side my house. They will finish today. They secured their scaffolds by nailing them to my < 1yr old roof. Roofing contractor said he can replace damaged shingles for $450. How to proceed? Pics in post

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:22 AM PDT

    ---Update

    Spoke to siding contractor who agreed to replace shingles but also explained how they're glued together and ripping them open will cause more problems than sealing the nail holes. So I'm going to have them seal the nail holes.

    Moral of the story is to do siding before the roof next time

    Hope this helps one of you

    ---end update

    Do I deduct the 450 before paying them? Do I pay them in full and take them to small claims? Not sure what the correct protocol is here. Obviously I want to talk it out with them first, but in the case they don't agree to credit the 450 I want to know the best course of actions are.

    Pics: https://imgur.com/a/6HXsfEk

    submitted by /u/a_day_with_dave
    [link] [comments]

    Foundation Cracks

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    Hello, I have a few hairline foundation cracks. I wasn't too worried about them at first, but should I be concerned that this one in particular runs vertical and horizontal? There also seems to be some small crumbling around the crack. I get a little bit of water in the basement (maybe a small puddle), but is unfinished and I'm not worried about the water, just the foundation.

    I'm in the upper midwest if that makes any difference. If it is something that needs further looking into, who or what kind of business would I call to check it out? Thanks for any help! :)

    https://imgur.com/a/A0LQhlA

    submitted by /u/110357
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be acceptable to use 4x4 Ground-Contact Treated Lumber Pieces with Plywood on top as a simple shed foundation? Will pressure-treated 4x4's stand up the test of time? Phoenix, AZ

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    Best way to paint 1 side of cinderblock wall? - Los Angeles

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    Hi reddit! The wife and I are about to embark on the final stage of fixing up our backyard - painting our hideous pink cinderblock walls. We're looking to DIY something as we had vacation planned the first week of May that is obviously now canceled due to coronavirus :\

    https://imgur.com/WOMmA6C

    We're having a bit of analysis paralysis right now though as there's tons of paints to choose from, plus an additional stipulation that makes it more complicated -

    We're only painting 1 side of the cinderblock, as the other side is the neighbors yard. We are also not planning on doing the tops, as it may potentially drip onto the neighbors side. Is this a bad idea? Moisture will obviously be able to get in through the top and backside, will that mess up the paint facing inward towards our house and yard?

    That said, what is the best type of paint (and primer) with that consideration in mind? We're looking at Elastomeric Paints but I'm wondering if that's potentially overkill (or not). I know you need like 4x more Elastomeric paint than normal which is going to make this job quite expensive - but if it fixes the potential moisture issue, then it is what it is.

    It's going to be a fairly large job, we have 3 walls, totalling about 1500 square feet. The included picture is only half of one wall.

    Thoughts and advice are appreciated! Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/drfragginstein
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling Fan PSA

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    I've experienced this issue with every house I've owned and wanted to highlight it as it is an easy fix and how it may even improve the look of your ceiling fan.

    Over time the fan blade screws may become loose and cause your ceiling your blades to droop slightly and possibly even have a blade detach during use. I've never experienced a blade coming off, but after tightening the bolts I've seen dramatic improvements of the look of the fan.

    They are easy to tighten and I've included a short video so you can see just how loose the ones I found today were before I tightened them.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/JgRaEs1

    submitted by /u/20yrstoomany
    [link] [comments]

    Installing garage cabinets

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 07:30 PM PDT

    So I bought a 54 inch cabinet for my garage. It was easy enough to assemble. And I hung it in the garage. The way it was hung is by screwing a piece of wood that was angled up and on the back of the cabinet there was a piece of wood that was angled down. You just rest the cabinet on the wood. It seemed to go ok. My question is that the cabinet doesn't sit flush against the wall is it supposed to?

    submitted by /u/throwingitaway1981
    [link] [comments]

    Adding floodlights under soffit

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    My house only has 1 floodlight at one corner of the house. I'm looking to add another to the other corner of the house (under the soffit). I've done electrical before but never adding floodlights. Just have some questions: 1. Can I use the rectangular old work gang box to mount the floodlight flush to soffit or does the junction box has to be the round type? 2. Is it preferable to surface mount or flush mount, or does it matter? I'd rather flush mount since it looks cleaner. 3. There are some articles that said you have to have a junction box outside and another junction box in the attic, which is ridiculous since I've never seen that set up before. Is that just a local code requirement?

    submitted by /u/rookie777
    [link] [comments]

    LED strips

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've been trying to do my research and look up sources and recommendations, and I think i've figured out exactly what i need, but i'm having trouble finding reputable brands. hoping someone here has input on bang for buck on some LED strips.

    I need about 55' to run the ceiling in an office, so I'm hoping to get 2x10m strips to run in either direction and cut the excess. From what I understand, I should be going with a 24v power supply to avoid voltage drop at this length. RGBW would be ideal, but i'll take RGB if i can get a yellow/orange that looks like warm white. I'd also like to be able to connect to google assistant to set timers, voice control, groups, etc.

    I made the mistake of ordering the cheap kit on amazon, but the app/wifi controller only works for a few minutes before disconnecting and the controller has to be reset. basically it's unusable with google assistant.

    submitted by /u/tb_94
    [link] [comments]

    Any DIY ideas on how to fix this?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    Cracked faucet knob on the outside of the house. Luckily its shut but I'm afraid I'll break it if I use it again. http://imgur.com/gallery/ToeM2Mt

    submitted by /u/Chrs987
    [link] [comments]

    Hi! I could use some exterior house painting tips - especially how to prep the house. Scrape? Pressure wash? Sand? Thanks!

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Current condition if fair to good. Some spots with peeling paint, but for the most part the old paint is in tact.

    Curious about pressure washing vs sanding vs just painting over the old paint.....

    Also, was curious about paint eaters or nylox brushes....

    Also, was going to use Dunn Edwards paint and Kilz primer..... is this the right way to go?

    Any info on paint scrapers, bushes, etc appreciated!

    Thanks folks!

    Happy home improvements, at least it gives us something to do!

    submitted by /u/Fewwordsbetter
    [link] [comments]

    My parents think this chandelier is ugly

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    My parents think that this, well in my opinion great looking chandelier looks ugly. Can you guys please 100% honest tell me if it looks good or ugly and outdated?

    https://imgur.com/a/de9vo4V

    Edit 1: if you don't like it image it with a different color that isn't brass

    Edit 2: this house was built in the late 70s to early 80s

    submitted by /u/GamerconYoYT
    [link] [comments]

    What would you include in a new home starter kit?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 06:02 AM PDT

    My husband and I just bought our first home and will be moving in about a month. Looking to see what people would recommend including in a starter tool kit for outdoors and indoors. We are starting from scratch.

    Yard has a lot of landscaping and garden beds.

    submitted by /u/mahknz12
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling to paint my kitchen island

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Formal disclaimer I am not even remotely qualified to paint anything. I hate it, I'm no good at it, and usually I do everything to avoid it at all costs.

    Last weekend I took two cabinet boxes, framed and trimmed it out and made a kitchen island where there wasn't one before. Came out great! But I'm painting it before I get the stone top put on and I'm worried a brush and roller aren't doing the trick.

    I primed it first with one coat and I'll do a second coat tomorrow, and maybe it's just the primer since I don't have much experience with using it, but brushing and rolling it is leaving streak marks and those weird roller spots.

    Once I pick the color, I want to get as even of a coat as possible and I'm worried if I stick with brush and roller it's going to come out streaky and blotchy and I'd waste all the time and effort I'd put into building it. Suggestions?

    submitted by /u/TheRealShackleford
    [link] [comments]

    Well Water + Iron Filter...Pro Changed The Settings....How to Fix?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    My house has well water (but is on the city sewer, so I still pay for the water I use). I have the pump, then a pressure tank, an iron filter, and finally a water softener.

    I was having a problem with hard water and thought calling a professional was the right thing to do. The guy also changed a bunch of setting on my iron filter, even though we had no problems with iron (and he didn't test the water, so I'm not sure if these changes made sense or not).

    • The filter regenerates every night now
    • The process now takes 76 minutes, I swear, it used to be a lot less but I have no idea how much less.

    I don't know what the settings were before, but my water bill went crazy high in the months (I get billed quarterly) following his visit.

    Can someone tell me if this seems reasonable? I've since set it to recharge once every other day and the water quality seems the same. How do determine the correct settings. I called the company back and they are pushing real hard saying I need to replace the iron filter and the water softener and that they'll set everything perfectly; but want $4,500 installed.

    There are six pins starting at '0' and then a bunch of empty spaces until two pins at 66/68 minutes then two empty holes and two more pins at 72/74 minutes.

    My last water test said 5.7ppm iron, 7.07ph with 28 grains of hardness from the well directly. The home hardness tests say my water is soft and I know if I leave a glass of water out it doesn't turn orange...but the water bills a lot more than I'd like to spend.

    Any help would be very much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/robdude16
    [link] [comments]

    Are these tile surface irregularities too high to places smartcore or coretec over it?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    Refacing cabinets

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    Can this be removed with a heat gun or blowdryer? Looks like a skin pasted on the cabinet

    https://imgur.com/a/kNW1f1s

    The cabinet fronts seem and feel like wood but not sure, but no biggie, they're going to be replaced anyway. But I won't have a seamless color if I can't take off the 'wood' skin on the base frames.

    submitted by /u/chuchujiggly
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with DIY old fence staining!

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm looking to bring this old wooden fence back to life a little bit. I'm not sure how old it is or when the last tome it has been stained, but not since I've moved in my home (4 years ago).

    Anyways, from what I've gathered from other posts, I'm a little lost on the steps/products. The goal is to clean and stain into a darker brown color.

    Do I use a low pressure power washer, followed by hand scrubbing with a brush and a product like Bar Keeper's Friend, then once the fence is dry (about 1 week) has a paintbrush with the stain??? I'm not sure what type of stain to use. Also, if I want to change out the brackets holding up the wood (they are rusty), do I remove before painting or paint first then replace??

    Any advice would be appreciated so I handle this task properly.

    Fence pic: https://imgur.com/nxQHUM7

    submitted by /u/nattybber
    [link] [comments]

    New construction sump pump has left my yard a mess. Need advice

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/7B6OH1f

    I have sub pumps on both sides, they constantly run all day. To put it in perspective I closed on this house 3 months ago, and I haven't had a single day where my side yards have been dry. they have been muddy messes to the point where I can't even walk in them. Even the cable guy had issues getting to the box because of how muddy it was. I've contacted the builder through the warranty but they've said if it's sub pump water related they won't be able to help. This amount of water everyday just doesn't seem right.

    submitted by /u/viper2ko
    [link] [comments]

    Landscaping question

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    What is the best material to put between the house and grass, for both ease of maintenance and to keep soil moisture down and termites away? I've heard that mulch draws termites due to the humidity, not sure if that's correct or not. I currently have black mulch atop weed fabric in the backyard and sides of the house. In the front I laid weed fabric and white rocks in one area (see pics). The other part of the front had mulch that I just removed. Question is, should I just replace with new weed fabric and mulch, or should I do weed fabric and white rocks. Or is there maybe something better that I don't know about to put down? I currently have 2 trees in that front area and will also be adding 3 boxwood shrubs. About two years ago there was pine straw in the entire backyard and sides, and the previous owner had termite problems. I had the house treated for termites and haven't had a problem since, and I want to keep it that way. I'm in Georgia, if that helps any and house is on slab foundation. Thanks for your input.

    https://imgur.com/a/MqfCJdw

    submitted by /u/jerry_1234
    [link] [comments]

    Blue Subway Tile for Bathroom

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 11:16 PM PDT

    Well I'm beginning to consider redoing my entire bathroom and I have this idea in mind for doing the entire shower and half wall around the bathroom in blue subway tile. However, I'm having difficulty finding colored subway tile, especially for a decent price. Anybody know where I can find some? I'll be covering 150-200 square feet.

    Edit: Buffalo, NY

    submitted by /u/mlchristopher90
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor faucets leak from handle.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 11:16 PM PDT

    Under contract for a house and both outside faucets leak from the handle when turned on and don't hold any pressure. They're frost free models so they have a long stem. Is there a way to replace these without ripping out the wall on the inside of the house?

    submitted by /u/housewoes2020
    [link] [comments]

    First house layout help? :)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    Hi, we're looking to buy our first house and have found one that we're hopefully going to buy after this lockdown period! We'd be looking to extend the kitchen across in some way I think. I just wondered if there is anyone (with more of a clue than us!) on this forum who had any nice ideas about kitchen/bathroom/layout renovation ideas please? Thanks! https://imgur.com/LdI8rvD

    https://imgur.com/dg7g12I

    https://imgur.com/syRV6FK

    submitted by /u/Hanslan_
    [link] [comments]

    A room in my basement smells moldy the walls clearly had mold on them from a previous owner. I sprayed mold killer on the walls and it seems a lot better. Should I just paint killz primer over it and call it a day or need new drywall? The walls are not solid and not rotted.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 10:52 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment