• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 21, 2020

    Home security: Replacing Brinks - Suggestions?

    Home security: Replacing Brinks - Suggestions?


    Replacing Brinks - Suggestions?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    We have had Brinks for the past five years and I'm desperately wanting to get away from them. Right now, we are paying $60 a month for antiquated technology. I'd like to go with a new service/company, even if I have to buy the system upfront, and minimize my monthly cost (avoiding long-term contracts if possible). What I'm looking for are:

    - My wife likes the LCD display at the door (if anyone is looking in the window, they see the alarm and its status) so I'd like some kind of active keypad display that can be mounted or attached to the wall easy enough

    - Our house is 2400 square feet, so I'll need a system that can reach over a large residence

    - The system needs to be accessible via a smartphone app (both iPhone and Android)

    - I would like the system to have "smart house" accessibility if possible (e.g. Nest thermostat, garage door, cameras, smart locks) so if I want to expand, I have that option. Prefer to use Google tools.

    Any recommendations for a company/system? I've looked into Ring and SimpliSafe, but am not exactly "wow'd" at this point.

    submitted by /u/Jewdebega
    [link] [comments]

    Security cameras

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I'm looking to buy a couple security cameras for my house.

    What I don't want is to pay a monthly fee.

    Ideally I'd like to be able to access the live feed 24/7.

    And I'd want to record to a laptop with 2TB hard drive.

    I don't mind setting up a server and having the cameras on DC power

    Good image quality and night vision would be great.

    I don't know if all of this is possible I know the top brands have their own software and cloud etc but I'm after a DIY tech approach

    Thank you any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Liamonline
    [link] [comments]

    Color Night Vision security camera

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 12:07 AM PDT

    Hi all! We've been using Nest for our security camera at the office. Our CFO requested it to be upgraded for colored night vision. I've looked into lorex and hikvision but I believe that both of them are not real colored night vision but colored camera with very high sensitivity. Because of this, you need some form of available light for it to be able to capture. I've been looking for reference on how dark is too dark and how dark will work just right. Currently, we are using Nest IQ indoor and if turn off the night vision, it is pitch black. Will lorex and/or hikvision color night vision work with this kind of environment?

    I know that this is more of an office settings instead of home security but I figured that it applies to both settings.

    submitted by /u/whitelighter01
    [link] [comments]

    Cam placement?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    Camera Placement?

    Looking for help on camera placement. I have a side entry garage. Thinking i can point one exterior cam towards the street and get view of anything coming up to enter doors. Then 2 inside garage on opposite walls. Garage is about 24' deep and 53' wide. Love your expert opinions.

    Pic of Plan

    submitted by /u/EnderOfWor1ds
    [link] [comments]

    DSC Motion sensors

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    Does anyone have any experience with the DSC line of wireless motion sensors? Was looking to get the PG9914 but wondering how good is it. There seems to be a more advanced unit, PG9974P which is supposed to false less, thus concerning me about the first unit. Anyone use either of these?

    submitted by /u/cbb777
    [link] [comments]

    DSC to Qolsys?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    I have a DSC Impassa system that I set up 4 years ago. Now, with the 3g sun setting I need to either replace the 3G for $150 or update to a new system. Would it be worth going to the Qolsys IQ panel 2 that could run all of my DSC senors or just stay with the impassa system. As a side note I have the alarm monitored with alarm relay and I use Smartthings for some HA. It looks like I can get a Qolsys panel for about $450.

    thanks

    submitted by /u/Millbarge_Fitzhume
    [link] [comments]

    Question about VOIP phone line (Xfinity) and ADT

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 06:03 AM PDT

    It looks like I am going to have to switch from Fios to Xfinity and therefore change from my current POTS landline to a VOIP phone. I have a traditional old style ADT security alarm (installed in 2007) and it is not compatible with VOIP. I'm no longer under contract with them and I am trying to decide whether it would be better to upgrade the ADT system or simply cancel and go with something like Ring, which I think is considered cellular (I'm not very technical and I'm struggling to understand how all this works). From reading online, it seems that the Xfinity VOIP often doesn't transmit the signal. Can anyone give me their advice or experience on this issue. I would be really grateful for any help with this. Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/sweetiesmom09
    [link] [comments]

    Kogan Home Security Password Reset

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:00 AM PDT

    Forgot password for Kogan 1080P 1TB Security System with 4 Wireless Cameras Model Number: KASS4WC1TBA User Manual just says log in to reset.. yeah thanks. Online can find anything helpful. Soft or hard reset will do, just annoying having no access. Can see feed of cameras but cannot edit or stream to third party devices. Please help/ideas.

    submitted by /u/blackers88
    [link] [comments]

    Has my IP camera been hacked? (ieGeek 1080P)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 03:31 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I'd like to hear your opinion about a weird thing that happened with my IP camera. Some months ago I bought this IP cam from Amazon with the intent of checking on my pets while I'm not home. Over, let's say, a six month period I caught my camera doing this three or four times in the middle of the night:

    • I hear a small noise coming from the camera, like the lens is opening up

    • I can see the infra red light turning on for a second, then off again and that's it.

    The camera doesn't turn around or anything like that, that's everything that happens.

    Keep in mind that I don't use default passwords on my router and camera, and that I've reset the camera to factory setting AND changed the password after the first time this happened. However, the thing has happened again so I'm wondering if it's just a normal reset/update procedure or something like that. Problem is, no one seems to be talking about it, so it feels very weird.

    On top of that I found this article about IP cams security concerns mentioning the exact camera I have and well, it's safe to say that I won't use it again.

    I'd like to ask:

    1) Do you think my camera was hacked?

    2) Can you recommend a camera that it's safe to have indoor? I know that nothing is really safe but hey, this camera I have now seems to be particularly weak so anything with some decent security standards would probably do better. Again, my intent is to check on my pets while I'm not home. Ideally I'd like to have more than one camera and have the possibility to stream the video to my mobile on the same app. I don't need to record footage.

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/Flying_Caribou
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment