• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    Home security: What are the most affordable security measures you can purchase for your home?

    Home security: What are the most affordable security measures you can purchase for your home?


    What are the most affordable security measures you can purchase for your home?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:10 AM PST

    My sister just purchased a home. It's her first time living on her own without roommates.

    I was making a list of things she can affordably purchase (items under $400) to feel safer at home.

    So far I have:
    - driveway motion sensors - Doorbell camera like Ring that sends alerts when motion is detected - recording floodlight for dark corners of her house - maybe a smart doorbell that shows her on an app that the door is locked

    Please chime in with any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/dcdc06
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendations for wireless home alarm

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:09 PM PST

    Need help with new alarm system

    Any recommendations for a wireless alarm system with smart phone self monitoring?

    We recently sold our home and left the hard wired Vista 20p+Envisalink system. I couldn't recommend that setup enough for a value system.

    Now we have a new home with that is not prewired. I don't not want to pay the costs for a full wired installation and am settling for wireless.

    Are there any systems of setups that will give us the service similar to Envisalink self monitoring on a wireless system?

    Any recommendations for a Honeywell wireless self monitoring system or anything else?

    submitted by /u/Mespin07
    [link] [comments]

    Best/favorite door reinforcement product?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:58 AM PST

    Hey all, I'm looking to install some door reinforcement kits. I've seen a few products and have been looking at ones with a strike plate across the entire jam.

    The 2 products I'm looking at are

    Door armor MAXStrikeMaster II

    I'm liking the Door armor MAX however if I install this on my front door I don't really like the look of the door shields on the outside of the door. The hinge plates seem really nice to have. Can't decide on nickel to match my door handles or white to blend in with the door and frame.

    The Strike Master kit comes with less parts and is more expensive. However it seems it may look better on a front door.

    Any other kits or parts to check out?

    I have 2 doors I was thinking of reinforcing, my front door and garage side door. I'm reconsidering adding one of these kits to my front door unless I can get it looking semi nice. I was probably just going to get longer screws for the front. The side garage door I don't care how it looks and is most likely entrance point being the most stealthy way.

    Will a full kit like the door armor secure my side door that is only a door knob lock that is on the knob? No deadbolt, was thinking of adding a yale handle lever lock which I believe holds a bit stronger than the knob lock but not like a deadbolt.

    For longer screws what length and should I get square or torx style for extra grip driving long screws? Will an impact driver do the job with regular Phillips? Just got one and accidentally drove screws through my doorbells plastic mount, haven't had a chance to try it out for anything else.

    Also was looking at protective film for my huge windows on my garage doors. Any recommendations, I think 3M makes a product. Any other brands to check out?

    Appreciate the input!

    submitted by /u/WookieWeed
    [link] [comments]

    Home defense without a dog?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 09:47 AM PST

    I have a gun, security system, security film, cameras, hardened doors, and most other common recommendations on this sub. But I don't have a dog. I don't have a pet. I work too much to properly take care of a dog.

    I would want this dog to be integrated into the household, not just be used as some tool.

    That being said, what else can I possibly do? Every single piece of advice on this sub is telling people to get a large dog that can scare off intruders. Well I disagree with that as that would imply a dog is merely a home defense tool and not part of the household.

    Is there any other way to defend my home without a dog?

    submitted by /u/syshshshsbejdbs
    [link] [comments]

    Any ideas for POE camera to capture accidents at an intersection?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:30 AM PST

    Currently, I like about 3 houses from an intersection that has accidents at least once or twice a month. They're usually pretty bad ones (ie walls gets knocked down, large trees get toppled over). Fortunately, no one has died so far.

    I have quite a few Ring cameras wired via POE watching around the property. I thought about pointing one of them at the intersection, but I'm not sure their "motion-activated" recordings will work for this particular scenario.

    Does anyone have any suggestion of what camera I could use to see that far? Given the distance (around 300-400ft), I just want to be able to see how the accident occurred. I don't expect night vision or too much detail (ie no need to see license plates or what people look like). I used to have the Lorex system that I bought from Costco a long time ago, but those cameras have gone bad already. Also, I would just need 1 camera, not those 4 or 8 camera sets.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

    UPDATE: I forgot to specify that the only source of power at the camera location is POE via a CAT6 cable, and I don't plan on running anymore wires through my attic.

    submitted by /u/itsaquark
    [link] [comments]

    Discrete indoor camera

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 08:40 AM PST

    Hi, this isn't really home defense but I'm looking for a poe camera for a baby room that I link to my existing blue iris system. I have a few outdoors that are POE and indoors is all WiFi since they were older and cheaper. With the baby, I'd like to get a good night vision camera that works well in very low light and hopefully have two way audio. I have Wyze cams as well but I don't trust WiFi to be on all the time so I'd prefer to go POE to have the capability of monitoring the baby all night via a monitor. I'm open to mounting positions whether it's on the wall or ceiling or tabletop. I just don't want a huge bullet camera in the room, so maybe dome cams are the best option?

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/Crankygnome
    [link] [comments]

    Not security camera savvy, currently have Night Owl cameras

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    I bought a house that came prequipped with Nightowl cameras and DVR.
    I had no idea how to reset the DVR to use the cameras so I called Night Owl customer service who told me I can reset it and set the cameras up again but first I needed to reset the DVR password and I had to use a television or desktop to do so.

    Of course I don't have anything but a tablet and laptop 😒. So I guess now I have a bunch of cameras I can't use without spending money on a small tv or a desktop computer.

    I am not security camera savvy. Is this how most cameras have to be set up?

    I just want something user friendly, clear recording and with a great mobile app.

    What would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/itsanofromme223
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment