• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 19, 2020

    Home Improvement: Anyone have Raised Garden Bed Plans They Can Share? Work Finally Shut Down and I want to get Started on My Victory Garden.

    Home Improvement: Anyone have Raised Garden Bed Plans They Can Share? Work Finally Shut Down and I want to get Started on My Victory Garden.


    Anyone have Raised Garden Bed Plans They Can Share? Work Finally Shut Down and I want to get Started on My Victory Garden.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    Thinking about doing something like a 4x8 or 4x16 and trying to save some time on planning so I can get to Lowes to get materials incase they closedown soon.

    submitted by /u/Pompousasfuck
    [link] [comments]

    Help me convince my wife this wouldn’t be hard to DIY

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I am wanting to replace a water heater that has decided to sprout a leak at the base. (I expect the base has rusted out since it is roughly 20 years old)

    My wife wants to hire someone, so I entertained the idea, and the gentlemen that came out quoted us about 1750 just to replace.

    I don't consider myself the ultimate DIY person, but this seems like it should be way to easy to replace. Picture of the water heater below.

    https://imgur.com/a/3GTMQt1

    submitted by /u/coopdiddy
    [link] [comments]

    Home improvement idea requests.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    My partner and I just purchased this home. It is a small home but has a large lot open to some great views of mountains. I would happily appreciate any unique ideas on building some additions to keep with the aesthetic. Pics are attached in the link.

    Exterior and lot:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/brIK30s

    Interior:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/kkQeHW3

    submitted by /u/htggideas
    [link] [comments]

    Mysterious Hole in Basement

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    Hey All:

    I have a small hole in my basement (USA, Indiana) that I was recently going to fill in with some masonry caulk. After digging out a bit of dirt I could see, I realized it was quite a bit deeper than I ever anticipated.

    A pic is included here. It is approximately 5" deep and when i stick a tape measure down it some damp dirt comes up in the process. Obviously, way too big for a bit of caulk.

    I think my best bet would be to get some Quikrete and maybe a grout bag to fill the hole with, but I wanted to run it past you guys and gals. Is there anything I should be mindful of or a better way that you think I should do it?

    As an aside, I believe the drain in the photo is traveling in the opposite direction from the hole, so I don't think filling in the hole will impact the functionality of the drain.

    Thanks for all the help!

    submitted by /u/joshuanl0ve
    [link] [comments]

    What is this fastener?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 05:39 PM PDT

    I'm in the process of planning out some work in my basement and would like to know what these fasteners are called. I didn't see anything like them at my local big box retailer and don't know quite what to search for. They hold wood against a concrete wall that's wrapped in insulation. These were installed by the builder to the best of my knowledge, not a previous homeowner.

    Photo link: https://imgur.com/a/RX6WF9k

    In a similar vein, if you happen to know what the product name of the insulation is I'd be interested in that as well.

    I'm in Colorado if that matters.

    submitted by /u/DrewScu
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for routing external speaker wire up horizontal vinyl siding?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    I'm trying to get an outdoor speaker setup, and the amp is in our finished basement. When our generator's power inlet receptacle was installed, there was a channel created that runs perfectly to the area of the basement with the amp, so I was planning to use that hole to run the wires and then drop below the siding and run to the left (as seen in the attached pic). The problem I'm running into is not knowing how to elegantly run the wires vertically up to either position "A" or "B".

    Has anyone done something similar and have any tips? Do I cave and get a plastic sleeve that runs next to the gutter on the outside?

    https://preview.redd.it/kte2o073k4n41.jpg?width=768&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=9a52129edbe4babb7e023fc12011ba1339ab7bcd

    submitted by /u/mrbean21
    [link] [comments]

    How did I mess up my 3 way switch installation?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    Hello! I've installed quite a few dimmers on our single pole light switches and they've all worked fine. Yesterday, I installed two dimmer switches on two separate light fixtures that are each controlled by two switches. They both appeared functional after I finished but this morning we realized that both switches can turn the light off if it's on, but only the switch with the dimmer can turn the light on. The other non-dimmer switch will not work if the dimmer light is switched off. As far as I can tell, I connected the common wire to the hot one in the new switch, and the travelers to the other two wires. What the hell did I do wrong?

    submitted by /u/rariya
    [link] [comments]

    Nail through electrical

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    Hey guys, quick question for a few opinions. I hired a contractor to shiplap an accent wall. He put an 18 gauge brad nail through an electrical wire with a nail gun. The breaker tripped and wouldn't stay back on. After finishing the whole wall he pulled the nail out and now the power stays on. He says he doesn't have to replace or fix the wire. I think he does. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Cr0uchPotato
    [link] [comments]

    Water down disposal drain trips GFCI - Not Good or Very Dangerous?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 04:38 PM PDT

    Title basically says it all. We just bought a "new" house. It was built in 1914 and much of the wiring is still knob and tube. The previous owners did some fairly unskilled renovation in the last decade, including an incomplete slop job on the kitchen, which I believe includes updated wiring. There's a new GFCI receptacle above the counter by the sink. We've noticed that when we dump a bucket of mop water down the sink with the disposal in it the GFCI trips. The disposal works when the receptacle is reset. I'm starting to read up on residential wiring, anticipating decades of working on this house, but my immediate questions are: 1) what's going on on this circuit? and 2) this is obviously Not Good. But what are the risks if we continue to use this sink and occasionally the disposal? We plan on gutting the kitchen to the joists some time in the next year, so it's not a long term situation we'd be dealing with.

    submitted by /u/Holyelephant
    [link] [comments]

    Repair Cut Frame Studs

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    Hi all, recently we had some plumbers come in and replace our sump pump and add new drainage. In the process, they needed to cut through some studs and drywall, as well as dig up some concrete. In the 3 photos below, you can see how it was left when they were done:

    https://imgur.com/a/ZYDmFLH

    I'm pretty handy when it comes to home DIY work, so I figured I could give this a shot. The only thing is I've never worked on any basement framing before so I had a few specific questions:

    1. Do I need to add insulation or a moisture barrier between the concrete wall and studs? It doesn't look like there was any there before.
    2. Is a sister joist enough to repair the cut studs? Just one stud nailed beside the cut stud? Or is it recommended to use sister studs on each side?
    3. Would you recommend a Ramset gun to nail the base plate into the concrete? Could I get away with a hammer drill bit and concrete fastener?
    4. Assuming I use pressure treated 2x4s for the base plate, is a sill gasket needed between that and the concrete?
    5. The barrier between the concrete and the brick fireplace can be removed right? Guessing that was just for protection during the pour?

    If you need to know location for codes or anything, this project is in MA, USA. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/awful_source
    [link] [comments]

    Residential Window Tinting Help

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    I live where we get quite a bit of sunlight so I want to add tinting to the glass windows surrounding the house. I called a few local contractors and got some quotes. One of the contractors I called works alone and he gave me a very detailed explanation of the different types of residential tinting film (solar, privacy, protection; correct me if I'm wrong here). I've looked online for more information and none of them go into too much detail. The man that worked alone said he used a metallized/metallic CX35 film from Panorama that blocks out 80% heat. Is that a good brand? Another contractor provides VISTA Window Film. How does Vista compare to Panorama? Are there any other brands worth checking out?

    My other question is where can I find more detailed information about the different types of window tinting available for residencies? Also what brands are the most trusted?

    Any things I should watch out for when hiring a contractor for tinting? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/TheRealFakeKorean
    [link] [comments]

    Was quoted $2250 to move Ameren meter, is this accurate?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    I live in Illinois and we have an electric company called Ameren that supplies power across the state. Well I bought a house in October, then 2 weeks later I get a letter in the mail from Ameren saying they had someone come out to upgrade my meter but could not access the meter, so I would either have to move it or pay an additional $20 "manual meter" fee on my bill every month.

    I called them and asked if their person could simply use a ladder to upgrade the meter and they said no. I then called one electrician and sent him a pic of my meter (it is located on the back of the house and is higher up than most meters). He emailed me back with a $2250 quote. I just did not have the money to do that so I put the whole thing off and Ameren actually didn't start charging me the extra until January.

    Now that Spring/summer is coming I want to look into getting this moved or whatnot so I don't have to pay the extra $20 a month. SO I am wondering, is this an accurate estimate? I was very shocked that Ameren just can't bring a ladder out to do this one time upgrade. and if I do need it moved, can't it simply just be lowered to the regular height most are at as the breaker box is just on the other side of the wall.

    Pic of meter: https://ibb.co/dLqrppf

    submitted by /u/voltagejim
    [link] [comments]

    Should I turn my oil fired boiler off in the summer?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 08:37 PM PDT

    I have an oil fired boiler for my hydronic baseboard heating system. Right now it is only used as emergency heat for when my electric heat pumps can't cut it. My water heater is direct fired so it doesn't need the boiler on to function. My boiler is over 30 years old.

    Should I turn it off in the summer when it's not being used? I am getting conflicting stories from Google searches.

    Right now I have the low temp on the aquastat at 140 and it doesn't seem to fire too often to keep that temperature. I'm going to monitor how much fuel it uses when not being used to heat the house now that we are moving out of winter and it won't be used.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/BCeagle2008
    [link] [comments]

    I need ideas for securing a vinyl fence to keep critters out and to keep a new dog in.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    We are planning on getting my daughter a dog for her 3rd birthday this year and need to puppy proof our fence.

    We have also seen evidence of animals in our backyard. I have found lots of little piles of poop (maybe neighbors cats or raccoons?) and yesterday I found a chewed up bone.

    Some of the areas of our fence reach all the way to the ground and others don't. I'm sure they did this because the fence had to be at least a little level but the ground isn't. Please excuse the dirty fence, we haven't pressure washed it yet this year.

    Any ideas on closing in these gaps

    It's at least 150 feet of fence we need to secure so we're trying to be as cost effective as possible.

    submitted by /u/akolby89
    [link] [comments]

    Best crown molding for first time DIYers?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    I'm another person that is now working from home and stuck inside for the foreseeable future. So I am looking to add crown molding to our main living area. I can measure and get enough there but was wondering what kind to buy.

    For the top of our cabinets I plan to get real wood that I can stain to match the cabinets. However for the regular stuff, going from the wall to ceiling, I've heard great things about the polystyrene molding.

    What factors do I need to consider when looking at crown molding? What supplies will I need for the different kinds? Hoping to buy tomorrow!

    submitted by /u/gingertastic19
    [link] [comments]

    Employer moved me into a moldy home that has flooded frequently...how can I make it safe?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    I drew the floor plan and showed where water was coming through the walls when it rained. The right side of the home is slightly higher than the left, so water was going under the right foundation and flooding into the left side as well. https://i.imgur.com/HZrE0uL.png

    When they first bought this RV park, they started renovating this apartment for me to move in. The whole building was a hoarder nightmare with garbage stacked all the way to the ceiling. After buying carpet and painting the the office, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom, they decided they were "over budget" and couldn't spend any money to finish the place up. The maintenance guy that has been working here for 20 years told me the park floods waist high every few years, in addition to warning my regional manager that the building slightly floods every time it rains.

    In my laundry room, you can see black mold on the walls 3 feet high. My boss decided to ignore the warning of flooding and said, "We'll deal with that when we come to it". My maintenance guy said, "All you have to do is spray it down with bleach and you're good to go." He sprayed the walls and wiped them down, but they're still black and I don't believe for a second that it's safe. As expected, the building started flooding when it rained and my boss did not want to spend the money to dig through the asphalt around the building to stop the water from the outside.

    His alternate solution was to break up the concrete flooring near the walls inside the building and pour liquid sealant to block the water since my maintenance guy has a jackhammer. It seems to be working so far, but our general contractor warned us it's not going to hold forever. The hallway, side room, and back room are unlivable and smell terrible. Whenever I go into one of those rooms, I quickly get a headache from whatever I'm breathing in. My boss won't approve the purchase of any paint since we're "over budget", so I tried to use some old paint from some leftover cans that were in the hallway. The old paint made it smell even worse to the point where I can't open up the hallway door without gagging.

    The hallway smelled like piss, so I originally tried to spray a bleach mixture on the walls and scrub them, as well as mopping the concrete floor with lysol. After that, the hallway smelled like a mixture of piss and bleach. Once I tried painting it, it literally smelled like somebody shit in the hallway or an animal died. I tried spraying air freshener and it made it smell even worse somehow. At this point, I'm getting ready to spend my own money since the company obviously gives zero fucks about my safety. I've been living here for 3 months and they're unwilling to put any more money into making this place livable.

    submitted by /u/UtahUnloader3
    [link] [comments]

    Can I install a dog door on this type of door?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    And has anyone had any luck with a storm door that also has a dog door on it?

    Thanks

    https://imgur.com/gallery/4wsJOBR

    submitted by /u/Jonny-Pain
    [link] [comments]

    Not Happy with Something Contractor Did - Need Advice

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I just purchased a new home and hired a contractor to remodel my bathroom. Everything looks good, except for one thing that really bothers me. In the shower, he installed the corner shelves in such a way that looks... "unbalanced" to me (see picture.)

    Not only are they concentrated in the top of the shower, the middle one is super close to the water monitor/valve. I don't think it looks right but maybe I'm being too anal.

    I didn't specifically tell him to space them out, but he alsohttps://i.imgur.com/t4Jd5Ow.jpg didn't ask. I told him that I don't really like where they are, but he said that they really can't be moved at this point.

    Am I being petty? Is it reasonable for me to insist he spread them out more? How involved would that be? This is all new to me and I appreciate any advice.

    Thank you

    ![Picture](https://i.imgur.com/g0V5oam.jpg)

    submitted by /u/Syynaptik
    [link] [comments]

    Crappy paint on crappy wood

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    Bought an older house and a lot of it has badly painted thick semigloss paint over wood in rough shape. What's the best way to treat this to make it look halfway decent? Not sure if I should strip it / sand it / prime paint, or fill it with some kind of putty/compound. Any advice would be great. See photo for example. Thank you.

    https://ibb.co/PMcC2Bk

    submitted by /u/shanetold
    [link] [comments]

    Installing LED light tape inside fridge?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    I've got a fairly new (5 years?) Whirlpool french door style fridge. It was in the house when we bought it. The LED lights on the fridge and freezer side both flicker 90% of the time when the doors open. It's rare that we get the true dimming light on when the door opens.

    I can only find one example online about installing LED light tape inside the fridge, but think it could be a viable option.

    Has anyone else successfully replaced their LED lighting module with LED tape?

    submitted by /u/Shredthegnar1369
    [link] [comments]

    Can this table be used outdoors and if so, how can I seal it?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/snugDDQ.jpg

    Buying this online, I'm trying to figure out what type of wood this is and whether we can use it outdoors.

    submitted by /u/stopppppppppppp
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas on under cabinet lighting

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/mpaQ1Jw

    What type of under cabinet lights would be ideal under these 2 cabinets? I've tried battery operated ones and they just suck, too dim and don't last long. Looking for a wired solution - is there potentially a way to hardwire them into an existing connection?

    There seems to be an open connection left by the prior owner concealed under the cabinet. Wondering if I can use this for a hardwired solution?
    https://i.imgur.com/rlxqlPh.jpg

    submitted by /u/Widowmakr
    [link] [comments]

    How to flatten/even out plank edges at joint

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    I just had hardwood floors installed last week. For the most part everything looks good. There is just one area that I want to fix that has minor issues.

    The floors are hardwood oak. There is one joint where the edge/end of one plank slightly overides/overhangs the adjacent plank and creates a bit of a lip. The perfectionist in me wants to have it fixed so that the edges are lined up better.

    Is there an easy way to fix this myself that doesnt involve removing the plank and putting a new one in? I think it was poor selection of a wood plank by the contractor and may ask them to come in and help fix it. Thanks for the advice

    submitted by /u/crazymonkey2020
    [link] [comments]

    Gutter question

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    Been getting a lot of heavy rain and I have a unit that's been getting water in the basement. I discovered the gutters are sloped the wrong way not allow water to run towards the down spout on each end of front of the house. Would it better better to remove all the gutters and fix the slope or to just add a down spout to each side where the issue is https://imgur.com/a/hn9ZncT/

    submitted by /u/MNichols45
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment