• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    Home security: Anyone have experience with security film? Is it worthwhile?

    Home security: Anyone have experience with security film? Is it worthwhile?


    Anyone have experience with security film? Is it worthwhile?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 08:36 AM PST

    We have a few windows (including one right next to the front door) that don't open, just glass. We don't want to put up bars if we can help it, but would like to secure them a little better. Our alarm guy suggested security film (he doesn't do it but there are people in town who do).

    Does anyone here have experience with security film? Did you find it worthwhile? Also, how did it look? Is the view out the window still very clear or cheaply marred?

    We have a lot of property crime here (criminals treat our suburbs like their personal garden), but much of it is designed to be very fast, smash and grab-type stuff vs drawn out burglaries. So a lot of times any hindrance is a plus (I think).

    submitted by /u/transdermalcelebrity
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t set up Night Owl cameras without a monitor?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 08:28 PM PST

    I bought a house that came prequipped with Nightowl cameras and DVR.
    I had no idea how to reset the DVR from the previous owner and be able to use the cameras so I called Night Owl customer service who told me I can reset it and set the cameras up again but first I needed to reset the DVR password and I had to use a television or desktop to do so.

    Of course I don't have anything but a tablet and laptop 😒. So I guess now I have a bunch of cameras I can't use without spending money on a small tv or a desktop computer.

    I am not security camera savvy. Is this how most cameras have to be set up?

    I just want something user friendly, clear recording and with a great mobile app because that's what I'll be viewing the most.

    What would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/itsanofromme223
    [link] [comments]

    Boyfriend works night shift, any lock that can lock behind him?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 08:23 PM PST

    Sorry for a vague title, wasn't sure exactly how to put this.

    My boyfriend works night shifts, goes in at 1am each night. We are moving into a row home in the next few months (we currently live in an apartment building), and I am worried about security. The door has a deadbolt and regular lock, but I am worried because when he leaves he will not be able to lock the deadbolt, and I don't stay up that late to be able to do it when he leaves.

    Is there anything that can add additional security once he leaves? I was looking into those security bars as someone told me it will stay in place when you close the door behind you, but I am not sure.

    I know this seems like a dumb question and there probably isn't anything (as I've looked around a lot) but one can only hope! Thank you

    Edit: sorry I need to clarify, we do have a "regular" lock. Not sure what that's called haha. We have keys we both can use to lock the door behind us. But for EXTRA security, there's another lock but that lock can only be locked from inside (it's one of those sliding locks). I am just trying to find something else that could possibly be added for extra security while I am home at night alone!

    submitted by /u/pennypupper
    [link] [comments]

    Dvr best system and online access

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 08:00 PM PST

    Looking for a cost effective video system to set up at my work... Thinking about an 8 channel system. We have an old one that's been sitting in a box but it's website doesn't work and is super clunky anyway... But from some research it seems like you don't have to use the recommended website, like you can use a different site and connect it to your camera's IP address or something? Someone help me understand this.

    submitted by /u/CBRollin45
    [link] [comments]

    Effectiveness of an intimidating large dog?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 07:22 AM PST

    Just moved. Started following a local Facebook group for the city I moved to and woke up to a post with hundreds of comments about how the crime is so bad. Most comments speculated that is was a combo of lack of education and drug use (meth) in the area. So not professional criminals, opportunistic ones.

    From what I understand, it appears most of the crime is theft, attempted break-in's —-vehicle and home.

    I'm a dog lover and owner of a small inside terrier but never been one to agree with having a dog outside. I'll be home alone a lot now, most nights actually and this may be something I will now consider.

    Let me say I know not everyone agrees with this but I am just looking for experiences if you do or did have an outside dog.

    Having a second dog is a big commitment; training, added expenses, etc. but I want to see how this could be an asset to my home.

    What are your experiences with this? Pro's and con's.

    submitted by /u/itsanofromme223
    [link] [comments]

    Avigilon NVR recommendations

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 12:16 PM PST

    Picked up an Avigilon 6.0L-H4F-DO1-IR FISHEYE CAMERA and I've decided to go the NVR route. Any recommendations? Amcrest seems to have decent nvr's that won't break the bank.

    submitted by /u/SlobbOnMyCob
    [link] [comments]

    I use swann view plus for my home security but it sucks. Was wondering if I could use the same cameras but with a different camera system?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 12:05 PM PST

    ‚Panic Button‘ – style Gadgets Options? (preferably hidden; also: gps tracker)

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 10:47 AM PST

    (Uses i am thinking: I just realize someone is breaking into my apartment, i realize someone is about to kidnap me; also: me just travelling around in the world and people i trust get my gps updates and perhaps alarm if i stop sending for 24h or something)

    What i found so far:
    https://www.invisawear.com/collections/limelife/products/silver-lime-life-keychain

    130 dollars,silver necklace, on double press on hidden button 5 pre-chosen contacts are texted by sms with ‚possible danger + your gps location', works with a phone app
    (battery holds 1-2 years, then you get 100 dollar replacement)
    -> ok, it needs mobile phone and bluetooth always turned on and connect with it
    -> I like the idea, i like the necklace – cause it's something i would also wearing in sleep

    I think i would like something with a simcard and gps right in there, it not needing the mobile phone. I guess that's too much to ask and just not possible right now.

    I am looking for an app that just sends my gps data to a bunch of people i trust. Eg my parents when i am travelling around the world.

    Hm. Samsung watch (Apple watch i guess too) could be interesting.
    Android has this: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050849/
    -> An SOS function!
    Sounds great: So you press the power-off button 3 times on mobile phone,
    then you have 10sec to cancel, else this happens:

    - your pre-set contacts get a message, and a picture at the time of sending and a 10sec audio message and your gps, and then they get new gps data every 30minutes for 24 hours

    I tried: this also works with the phone locked.
    But: It sends MMS (multi media sms). Result: My parents cannot even open this. And i paid 2 euros for every message)

    Besides this mms problem: The whole solution would work even better with Samsung watch, cause i would have the watch on also at night. I presume there is a quick option on Samsung watch to do this SOS Thing.

    Any ideas / comments appreciated

    submitted by /u/Rockkk333
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment security

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 03:06 AM PST

    Hi, i live in an apartment, in the sixth floor. There is only one way in, through the main door. What would you recommend for added security, on the cheap side. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/iaros
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment