• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    Home Improvement: Toilet mystery

    Home Improvement: Toilet mystery


    Toilet mystery

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:08 PM PST

    Okay, so what is the deal with toilets? I find them anywhere between $75 Canadian and upwards of $500. What's the difference? They are all white, similarly shaped and sized. Sure, there may be the water saver option on some, or an inch more height to others but overall I have never in my life sat on a toilet and thought to myself 'damn, what an exceptional shit'. And if so, it was probably b/c of the heated seat and not the porcelain. So, bowl-connaisseurs of r/homeimprovement, please let me in on the secret, what makes the difference?

    submitted by /u/FirmPalate
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on PEX

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:49 PM PST

    Long-time listener, first-time caller.

    I have 67-year-old, original, galvanized pipe in my lovely Mid-Century time capsule. It's still working, there are no leaks, and I'm not suffering from lacking water pressure or noticeable rust but I know that these pipes are most of a decade past their service life and I want to repipe before something really expensive happens.

    I have done preliminary research and the low price point for PEX and its durability seem like a no-brainer. What am I missing?

    1. How do ya'll feel about PEX? Primary pitfalls or benefits?
    2. Hire a licensed plumber to install or one of these national companies offering bananas deals?
    3. I know copper is king, but given the 30K price tag, it's out of reach for the time being. If not PEX or full copper, is there any other choice?

    Thanks for the advice!

    UPDATE: Thanks, Hive Mind! I'm hearing that PEX Expansion A with copper sub-outs is the bees knees. And, I'm now going to start watching youtube to see what all this home-run stuff means and maybe develop the gumption to tackle (some) things myself. I am arachnid-averse, though, and I'm not sure I'll survive under my own house for very long. Only one way to find out!!

    submitted by /u/mpati3nt
    [link] [comments]

    DIY baseboard turn into mold nightmare

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:54 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/dolst7F

    Hi all, originally I was going to change out the floor to lvp and baseboard to my basement unit condo. I had bought it this past Oct. Found mold behind baseboard which lead me to a little more investigating. Removed 2feet of drywall and found mold and what looks like it's been there for quite a while.

    It seems like the water is coming from outside via the foundation. Condo management said they're going to seal the walls but is giving me the run around and are not trying to repair the drywall and rotted out metal studs... wouldn't they cover it since the damage is caused by the water leak? What do I do..?

    submitted by /u/Such-Ad-8707
    [link] [comments]

    What is this grey stuff called so I can google how to add more of it to these gaps?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:21 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/LySBXsR

    I want to add more of the grey mortar to fill in the gaps where the chimney meets the wood. What is this stuff and technique called so I can learn how to do more of it?

    submitted by /u/penguin941
    [link] [comments]

    What would I have to do to fix up these cabinets?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:28 PM PST

    We just moved into a new rental and the place is pretty nice, but a little dinged up. I can handle the paint touch ups around the rest of the house, but is there any way to make these cabinets look a bit more respectable? A lot of the varnish (I think that's what it's called) is flaking off and it just looks so beat up.

    We're just renting, so I really don't want a big time intensive solution like taking them apart/sanding/staining/etc (which I realize is probably the best thing to do) but I would like to make them a little bit less of an eyesore. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/box_o_foxes
    [link] [comments]

    Need to fix the newel post, without a chainsaw

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 12:44 PM PST

    Would appreciate any suggestions before I make a mess. I had initially planned to drill a hole at an angle the width of the top of a lag bolt, then a smaller pilot hole for the threads through the bottom of the post into the subfloor, run a lag through, and then fill the hole with a dowel - cut flush/stain.

    House is about 40 years old. I looked around on the sides of the post to see if there was already a dowel plug I could drill out and tighten a bolt, but I don't know that exists on this.

    Thanks!

    It's Wobbly AF:

    https://i.imgur.com/qnYJ65l.mp4

    Bottom sides:

    https://i.imgur.com/e4ASdwR.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/fD7i8OQ.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/zYY2Ohb.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/c9VJsal.jpg

    Top (cap covers screw tightening to railing)

    https://i.imgur.com/dJpBBzG.jpg

    submitted by /u/veritasgt
    [link] [comments]

    I have the worst drawers in my house. They make an awful racket when opened or closed, any help would be appreciated.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:23 PM PST

    This weird type of drawer is used in my kitchen and bathrooms. They make an awful noise and are generally just terrible. If it were a regular erase I'd just replace and probably upgrade the slides. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a pic of these drawers.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/YmyyTTU?s=sms

    submitted by /u/soapdonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Is LVP truly the best choice for a basement?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 09:40 PM PST

    From what I understand, LVP is king for my situation, but wanted to ask here just to be sure as I prepare to tackle my first room.

    About the room:

    Currently has gross thick carpet that smells like mildew when humidity gets high
    No windows in this room, but it is a walk-out basement
    Underneath the carpet is the concrete foundation of the home.
    Room is a possible future location for cat litter box (for when we get another pet)

    I'm off of work next week and determined to at least get started on the project of transforming that room. If nothing else, I want to pull the carpet out. From what I understand, 1 week would not be out of the question time-wise to also purchase and install LVP in that space.

    So, questions for the hivemind:

    • Is LVP truly the best choice for a space like what I'm describing? Should I also be thinking about other options, like staining the concrete, or installing some kind of garage floor product?
    • Is LVP truly as DIY-friendly as they say? I know enough to purchase a high quality product with a thick wear layer and a good locking system. Currently considering HD Lifeproof or possibly the Mohawk from Costco. Apart from that, I don't know what I don't know. Any other tips or tricks (or tools I need that I don't know I need) are welcome.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/secretlycurly
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make my shower more powerful?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:09 PM PST

    I feel like the term "power shower" is misleading because when I changed to an electric power shower it was even slower than before

    I've heard hotels have water tanks above the roof that help them deliver really good shower flow rate. I've also heard of installing water pumps. What is the most practical way to get really really powerful shower? Like Gallons per second hot hot water.

    submitted by /u/newsround123
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical cracks in crown molding

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:34 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/jcKHjOg

    We renovated and added crown molding to our home back in March. Once the cold season started, I started to noticed vertical cracks appearing in the crown molding (see picture link for example). My guess is that the cold weather, lower humidity and interior forced air heating caused the wood to shrink & crack.

    (1) Could it have been installed improperly / is there a way to install it so it doesn't happen?

    (2) If I wanted to patch these cracks, could I use Dynaflex caulk and then paint over it? Or is there another approach beyond completely redoing it?

    submitted by /u/ima007
    [link] [comments]

    Appliance Help: Side-by-Side Fridge Doors Not Closing Flush

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:54 PM PST

    Just bought and installed my first fridge in my first house. I've leveled it front to back (using a shim) and side to side (no work required). I've worked the only adjustment available to level the doors. There are no feet only rolling wheels. Things appear to be level according to my measurements.

    As you can see here:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/oPssc5B

    The doors don't close flush. They start flush at the bottom but as you go up the door protrudes more and more. Currently the ice maker isn't hooked up until I install a tee valve this weekend.

    This is the Whirlpool side-by-side I bought: 24.6-cu ft Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Ice Maker https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-24-6-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel/1000422565

    I've messed with it a ton and I can't seem to get this figured out. I would be very appreciative of any thoughts or insight. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/doesnotvalidate
    [link] [comments]

    Getting new interior doors for my house, should I pay $2000 for shop painting?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:58 PM PST

    Looking to get new "solid" core single panel shaker doors for my 70's ranch to replace the cardboard chewed up slabs that we currently have. Including the garage and closets it's around $3k for pre-hung.

    Is it worth it to spend the extra $2k for shop painting? We're pretty big into DIY and have done all of our own work, but wondering if people like the shop finish versus home brush and roller?

    submitted by /u/sourcrude
    [link] [comments]

    100 lb TV on a full motion mount on a concrete wall?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:58 PM PST

    I have a 100 lb 85 inch TV coming, and was planning on having it mounted with a full motion mount on a concrete wall, but was recently advised against that. Apparently the grip of a concrete wall won't be able to handle that much weight when the arm is extended outwards.

    I did find some mounts from Monoprice that advertise compatibility with this situation, but I wanted to be sure that there's a safe way to go ahead with this. Some suggested using drop-in anchors, but I was again advised against it.

    Is there any way I could make this work, or should I just stick with a tilt mount?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/treqwe123
    [link] [comments]

    Terracotta Spanish tile floor help

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:55 PM PST

    Trying to fix up my mothers place. She has terracotta Spanish tile floors and someone painted over them with an oil paint. The paint is now chipping And I don't know how to fix it. Can I strip the paint and then some how refurbish the tile to make it look ok? Also, I don't know how to post pictures. When I try to add pictures it says this subreddit doesn't allow pictures. Which is odd bc I've seen pictures on it. Please help and thank you!!!

    submitted by /u/peacePAZpeace
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] What's the best way to handle this Pergo step down?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:37 PM PST

    I chose Pergo for our flooring and I've come to a section where I need a long stepdown. See pic below

    https://imgur.com/a/TOT3dUM

    I don't love the capatread because they don't make one that can run the entire length of the runoff and they're very expensive. I also don't love trying to push the flooring up against a matching baseboard because it seems like there should be a ridge. I'd like to avoid having a transition bump if possible because it's a very long transition and I think people would trip over it.

    Been noodling and asking advice for about a month on this one. Please help.

    submitted by /u/todaywasawesome
    [link] [comments]

    Plumbing Plan

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:36 PM PST

    Alright, doing some research for a plumbing endeavor. Some quick details about the house: Built in 1950 story and a half 3 Bed / 2 Bath currently All the bathrooms are and will be stacked on top of each other Plumbing is 70/30 galvanized/copper Water heater is 25 years old

    We're doing a master suite upstairs so adding a bathroom, and most the basement will be accessible while we run plumbing/electrical. Planning on redoing all the plumbing supply lines and water heater while we're in there. Got all the PEX A fittings, tools, etc available but trying to figure out the plan. Figure I'd ask here. My general plan is 1" main line through the softener. Split to 3/4" branches, with 1/2" fixture lines off the 3/4" branches.

    So my questions are: Am I crazy to do a primary hot and cold branch, with fixtures off of it, or are home runs better from a manifold? What is recommended for a recirculating loop now?

    My thinking is if I do a main loop for hot water, I'll get hot water at all the bathrooms at the same time. But are home runs that much better? What am I missing other than serviceability of home runs?

    submitted by /u/Littlerascalls
    [link] [comments]

    Finished grouting the newly laid tile in my kitchen yesterday and now it looks uneven and sloppy. Is this me or could it be the warping in the tiles? Any way for me to fix it?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:01 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/OqNtu37

    Images in the link - - Woke up this morning excited to see the flooring after the grout and dried and now I am questioning my existence. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Nozsc
    [link] [comments]

    Crackling sound from light switches throughout the house.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:17 PM PST

    Hello, we moved into a newly built home and since then I have noticed the bedroom light switch would make crackling noises when you go to turn it off. Its noticable if you slowly switch it off, dont really hear it if you switch it fast.

    Looking for answers on Google only comes up with solutions as a faulty light switch. However, that seems unlikely as the home is newly built and the crackling switches are on atleast 3 separate light switches.

    Another thing is the light flickers sometimes when something gets plugged in the outlet in the living room.

    Also maybe related, but one outlet does not work on the bottom floor. We live in a 3 story townhouse.

    Any ideas what it might be? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/lowvndslow
    [link] [comments]

    If you’ve been through a major remodel, how disruptive was it? How long did it take?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:21 PM PST

    We are currently looking for a new house, our current 1920 farmhouse is very cute and cozy and we really like the 2.5 acre lot, but we don't have a garage, would like something a little larger and really want at least one bedroom on the main floor because eventually we'll be old and want that option. Unfortunately most of what we're seeing available is split levels and I REALLY don't care for that style. There have been a couple of houses we did like but we were outbid by a large amount on both. We're starting to think maybe we should stay here and see what we can do to add on what we want but we don't have any experience with going through a major remodel, so I wanted to get some idea what other people have gone through? The biggest remodel we've been through was a kitchen redo here after water damage, that was a 3 month pain in the ass, mainly due to insurance claim finagling. Any advice would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/passesopenwindows
    [link] [comments]

    First time owning dishwasher.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:27 PM PST

    After cleaning out drain noticed small amount of water under screen. Is this normal or should it be completely empty?

    submitted by /u/MAS1313
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of help do I need?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 09:49 PM PST

    My house (Pacific NW, Seattle-ish area) is only 10 years old but in the last two years has started creaking like it's a 1910's craftsman. Two noises are actually bothersome, but what kind of help am I looking for?

    1) Carpeted hallway upstairs has about 6ft that creak no matter where I step; I've bought and used about 10-12 of the specialized break-away screws to no avail, despite following the directions and, I think, hitting the floor joists.

    2) Every morning when the furnace turns on, an interior wall upstairs closest to the furnace in the attic "pings!" repeatedly and rhythmically. I can't honestly tell if it's metallic in the walls, nails popping, really loud water dripping, echos from the furnace itself, or what.

    Are there people to call and help with this? Am I looking for flooring installers and HVAC? Or just a general handyman?

    My wife and kids thank you for advice!

    submitted by /u/SuddenVolume4
    [link] [comments]

    GoBoard transition to drywall in shower

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:00 PM PST

    What's the recommended way to transition from GoBoard to drywall? Will the polyurethane caulk + waterproofing membrane be sufficient (like for every other GoBoardoard joint), or does it need to be thinsetted + waterproofed? I plan on putting the transition under tile. I also plan on using greenboard, if that makes a difference.

    submitted by /u/nullsignature
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Crossbar and Fixture

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:25 PM PST

    Evening fellow redditors,

    I got a bit of pain at the moment. I am replacing a light fixture in my entryway and the light fixture I bought came with a standard crossbar and I screwed it flush into the junction box. However, in doing so the crossbar became too deep and now I can't attach the canopy. There is a little ring that I screw onto the base of the crossbar that allows the fixture bowl cover thingy to stay put.

    Here are some of the pictures:

    https://imgur.com/a/vAx5JPu

    Any ideas on how I can lower the crossbar so I can screw the ring around the cover? Thanks!

    EDIT: Got it now, screw the crossbar into the fixture I bit to high. Just adjusted it lower till the threads were exposed through the cover!

    submitted by /u/ImmunogenicError
    [link] [comments]

    Mount a tv to a non conventional wall

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 09:34 PM PST

    About to mount a TV to the wall. This wall is not a standard wall. It's a layer of sheetrock on top of 1x2 firring strips. Behind that is brick. How would you recommend I secure the wall mount bracket?

    submitted by /u/icedutah
    [link] [comments]

    How to make my table look better (poor paint job)

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 08:45 PM PST

    Going to try to keep it short

    Moved into a new apartment with a built in kitchen nook (100+) years old. The tabletop was freshly painted but whoever painted it used some sort of shiny acrylic topping coat on top of the old oil leaded paint. Now I have plasticy film peeling off and it looks horrible. What can I use on top? I don't want to sand it down bc of the lead in the paint but I'm worried anything on top of the peeling acrylic would end up peeling as well. What would be the correct paint to use?

    submitted by /u/1nOmniaParatus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment