• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 3, 2021

    Home Improvement: Basement remodel: Updating the 1970s to 2020

    Home Improvement: Basement remodel: Updating the 1970s to 2020


    Basement remodel: Updating the 1970s to 2020

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 03:53 PM PST

    We completed a full basement remodel during 2020. The progress photos with detailed pictures, descriptions, and budget are here: https://imgur.com/a/FG1SswN

    Our house is a 1938 end unit semi-detached house in DC with a walk out basement. This basement is approximately 600 square feet. The original basement had 1970s wood paneling, mustard yellow linoleum flooring, and a gigantic bar that took up half the room. Ironically, our previous house had the exact same mustard yellow linoleum floor in the old kitchen. I think this tile is haunting us.

    I developed the design and layout. My husband completed a lot of the electrical work (with some assistance from his contractor friend). We hired 3 separate contractors for the remaining work: 1) plumber for the boiler system, 2) plumber for gas, new water lines, and sanitary for bathrooms/wet bar, and 3) framing/tile, remaining work.

    We had several requirements in mind for this basement remodel: 1) additional entertainment/TV area, 2) wet bar, 3) full bathroom, 4) laundry and storage, and 5) a suite for friends/family to stay when they visit. We splurged on the bathroom because our only other bathroom in the house is tiny. Seriously, it is maybe 5' by 6'.

    If you are looking for a budget renovation, this is not it. Our budget was around $55,000, but we spent just over $64,000. This budget includes every little piece of furniture, bedding, towels, etc. Approximately $22,000 was contractor labor, including demo, boiler installation and boiler piping, additional electrical labor, main water lines, hot water tank, framing, tile, etc. A large chunk of the budget went to creating a wet bar (cabinets, fridge, wine fridge, countertops) for around $6,000. Another large cost was creating a full bathroom (sink and Bankett, toilet, shower and tile products) that came out to about $8,000. There is a full breakdown of the budget in the last picture in the photo album, including where we purchased everything. As mentioned above, we splurged a bit on the bathroom. We had to replace the boiler, electrical, hot water tank, gas line, and all water lines, with materials costing about $20,000. Most items came from Home Depot, but again, a full breakdown is in the album.

    This was around 4-month process from gut to end. Overall, we are really happy with how this turned out. Thanks for looking!

    Edit: updated to include more details about the budget and expenditures.

    Edit 2: Per the mod's message below, here is the direct link to the budget spreadsheet: https://imgur.com/a/BAur60o This includes the estimated and actual budget, as well as where everything was purchased.

    submitted by /u/The_Tuck_Monster
    [link] [comments]

    There are a lot of videos going around of "dryer traps" being cleaned out. You should know there's a difference between "cleaning out your dryer trap" and "cleaning out your dryer trap filter screen."

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 11:22 AM PST

    A lot of people regularly clean their lint screens/filters but don't actually clean out the lint trap itself, which can lead to bad dryer performance and even risk a fire.

    A lot of posts on Reddit recently have shown "lint traps" being cleaned out. Most of these videos/gifs are actually just the lint screens/filters or are outside the dryer itself. Don't think mistake cleaning out the filter for being the same thing as cleaning out the inside of the trap itself.

    Here's a few photos that walk you through what the difference is: https://imgur.com/a/aANbamo

    submitted by /u/405freeway
    [link] [comments]

    We built a wall

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 06:27 AM PST

    This was one of those projects that you think of on a Sunday morning after too many cups of coffee and it actually turns out better than imagined. After planting some trees and perennials in our side yard we wanted to provide some separation from the sidewalk and give the space some definition rather than just a square of grass.

    https://imgur.com/a/kN6lFpf

    The total cost of this project was entirely on the landscape boulders. Saved a ton by going directly to a landscape supply yard. All in all came to roughly $150 - 200 in materials everything else we had on hand.

    Super happy with the result - Makes it seem like we almost knew what we were doing.

    submitted by /u/thegoodestshepherd
    [link] [comments]

    As a first time home owner, I’ve owned my house for less than a month and am now facing huge costs due to previous owner’s negligence.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 03:09 PM PST

    The previous owners converted the carport into an extra bedroom. It has already been a meh space that I didn't care for, but now I'm in the throws of a huge problem and drowning in potential costs because of their terrible renovation skills.

    I came home the other day to find my carpet had been completely soaked in one area of the room after a heavy downpour. So, naturally the carpet will have to be ripped out and replaced, but not only that, I can also tell the owners knew of the issue and did not inform me (possible lawsuit in the works because of this).

    It's evident the water pooled outside due to poor drainage and seeped into the floor this way. When I ripped the carpet up, I was able to see the wall does not fully meet the flooring and there's about an inch opening all alongside the problem wall. I also noticed that there is an area of the wall that was cut out and replaced alongside the problem wall, this is my main tip off that they knew of the issue and tried but failed to fix problem. I will note that the home inspector missed this because the house was furnished when he came to inspect, and I didn't notice the wall fix until this weekend.

    Already I'm imagining it'll cost thousands to remedy the wall issue as well as new flooring. At this point I'm wondering if it would be more cost efficient to convert the room back into a carport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Edit: at this point I would like to mention I've received plenty of opinions on how a lawsuit wouldn't be worth it. I appreciate everyone's input, but ultimately I'm trying to figure out what I can do to mitigate the situation on my own and solve the current problem. I'd like to know opinions/experience from those who have reconverted their room back to a carport, etc. thank you!

    submitted by /u/soitgoes1992
    [link] [comments]

    U-Bolt and lock nut permanent bookend

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    Top load Amana washing machine not draining — Fixed

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 05:14 PM PST

    Just thought I'd share my DIY good news about saving money and learning. Our Amana NTW4500VQ1 washing machine was not draining but it was spinning. An internet search indicated that there was likely something stuck in the water drain pump. I removed the body to reveal the pump. Drained the machine with buckets and a wet/dry shop vac. I found nothing in the pump intake but decided to check the pump exit pipe and sure enough there was a small article of clothing.

    submitted by /u/djc_fileno
    [link] [comments]

    I live in a basement apartment. As such it has no windows. Im trying to create an led video screen window preferably with a live feed of outside

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 03:37 PM PST

    Obviously if that's too complicated I would settle for just an LED screen window with static pictures or pre-recorded videos but the main idea is that it needs to be a realistic looking window with LEDs to make it actually shine light so it doesn't feel so bleh

    I'm looking for the best and cheapest ways to go about doing thiss

    submitted by /u/deafforlolz
    [link] [comments]

    Crazy expensive water bill in first home.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 08:27 PM PST

    Hi,

    Just moved into our first house in northern Illinois and got our first water bill. $600 for 37,000 gallons for a 20 day billing period...

    One thing to note was that the village installed a 'smart' water meter as previously this house was under going renovations, was unoccupied, and wasn't sending water readings to the public works department.

    I checked the water meter when we got the bill and it was reading 39,000 gallons meaning we've used only 2,000 gallons over the course of the last month which is more reasonable to me.

    Given 37,000 gallons is the size of a large pool, I assume a leak of this magnitude would be noticeable. Any suggestions on investigating or dealing with the village?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DaBears50
    [link] [comments]

    Grout is falling out between tiles in bathroom wall. Proper way to fix?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 07:22 PM PST

    As shown in this pic (https://ibb.co/DpPf8vD), the grout is worn. Can I put new grout or caulk over this? Or what is the proper way to fix?

    submitted by /u/aabbcc_easyd
    [link] [comments]

    Grout help!

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 06:18 PM PST

    I'm somewhat handy, but recently moved into a home with a ton of grout. The house is 13 years old, and it doesn't look like the grout had received much (if any) love in that time. Most of it is looking pretty good, but there are some areas that are super dirty, others that seem pretty worn out, and others that are cracked or chipped.

    My only experience with grout is watching my dad (this was about 20 years ago) clean our grout with a toothbrush, and cursing every inch of the way.

    Do you all have any tips/tools/resources for making my grout experience less painful than my dad's? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/battlesnarf
    [link] [comments]

    My first laminate floor install

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 10:09 AM PST

    laminate floor install

    Finally pulled the trigger and decided to install my own laminate floor. This was a 150 sqft room. there was a few hiccups along the way, but overall I'm very happy with the final product. Excited for the next 3 bedrooms and eventually the living room.

    Money spent @ Homedepot

    Hazey river oak laminate floor $300 Moisture barrier/underlayment $100 Laminate floor install kit $30 Base board trim $50

    Tools used on this project Miter saw Laminate floor install kit(highly recommend) Table saw Compressor brad nailer Cats claw and hammer

    I recommend buying the laminate floor install kit as it includes a double sided mallet and metal brackets that fit perfectly on top of the laminate floor so you can push them together without damaging the laminate. Ill show pictures of that.

    The install got trickier as I got near the closets there was definitely allot of trips to the miter saw and table saw to correct some cuts I screwed up on. The miter cuts don't have to be pretty when near a wall as long as your 1/2" from the wall, the base board trim will hide all imperfections. Let me know if I missed anything or I can help anyone with their own future installs.

    submitted by /u/certifiedneto
    [link] [comments]

    What is this ceiling texture called?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 06:17 PM PST

    Anyone know what this texture is called or how it's done?

    Recently bought a new house and it has a ceiling texture I'm unfamiliar with. I need to make some repairs to the ceiling in a few areas and it's hard to find tutorials without knowing what to Google. Any help is appreciated.

    https://imgur.com/a/eUd9wgl

    submitted by /u/cirea22
    [link] [comments]

    Ventless propane stove causing sinus issues?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 08:14 PM PST

    We installed a Vanguard Amity ventless propane stove a few weeks ago. I started having sinus issues but didn't really make the possible connection until this morning when I had started it and was stuffy, then popped my head outside looking at something and my nose cleared. I've gotten to where it feels like a sinus infection that disappears by morning, but I can't find anything saying anyone else has dealt with it.

    Am I nuts? Or has anyone else dealt with it? Any and all symptoms are limited to just my sinuses and nothing else. No CO symptoms, and we do have two monitors, high and low, next to the stove.

    submitted by /u/madlermeow
    [link] [comments]

    Window installer

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 10:10 PM PST

    Trying to figure out who to get a quote from to install some windows. I ordered 9 windows already and the company that makes the windows has a contractor they sub the work out to, and I'm sure there's a kickback there. Anyway they want 3700 to install 9 windows and that seems like a lot so I'd like to get a quote, but I don't know who to call for one. Most installers are affiliated with whatever brand window they sell.

    submitted by /u/Justanotheru99
    [link] [comments]

    Basement finishing question

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 05:05 PM PST

    Hey guys....let me first say I'd call the inspector, but I'm trying to finish out my budget tonight...and obviously they're not open tonight...

    Finishing my basement in Wisconsin, my current plan is 1" eps foam board, glued, caulked and taped...then 2x4 walls with unfaced R-13 fiberglass insulation. This is in a brand new home... (exterior of the walls have 2" eps foam )

    This should meet code for insulation and vapor right??

    submitted by /u/RR50
    [link] [comments]

    are salt based water softeners actually banned in Los Angeles?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 09:59 PM PST

    Hello! My wife and I just purchased our first home, and we're trying to set things up best we can, so of course I went down the rabbit hole of water treatment.

    We're currently waiting on our water test results from SimpleLab to see which direction we need to take, but in the meantime, amongst other things, I've started looking into water softeners. Apparently the salt based water softeners are banned in several communities across California, including Los Angeles (due to the wastewater), yet as far as I can tell, it's not very enforced.

    For example, I saw various plumbing companies advertising their installation services for water softeners. I also found a post on Reddit from a few months back where the OP put in a Fleck 5600SXT in their LA residence. And then at Home Depot two days ago, I saw that they carry the bags of salt used for these very systems.

    So what's the actual deal? Is there a ban? Is the ban just not very enforced? I'm very confused. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/NousSommesSiamese
    [link] [comments]

    Can I build a framed mirror without a router?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 04:46 PM PST

    I have a drill, miter saw, circular saw, circular jigs, jigsaw, kreg k5 pocket hole jig, clamps, and many other tools -- just no router with dado jig or table saw.

    Obviously I'd buy a plain mirror. Let's assume it's 36" x 30". Any tutorials on what I could do to make one?

    submitted by /u/scottymtp
    [link] [comments]

    Help- brand new water heater still goes cold after 3 minutes.....

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 05:44 PM PST

    Hi all,

    After reporting that my hot water goes cold after about 3-4 minutes, my landlord had a brand new electric heater installed. Just tested it after 2 weeks getting back from holiday and it still gets cold after 3 minutes.....what else could this be?

    Is it possible my shower head allows too much water out? I replaced it myself and now my water pressure is fantastic but maybe it's too fantastic that that 30 gall heater can't support? Please help I'm going crazy lol

    submitted by /u/throwitawaynowchili
    [link] [comments]

    Quarantine Pantry Project

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 03:25 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    We have just found out we will be out of work for a bit since we were exposed by an immediate family member. We would like to be thankful we don't have symptoms and take this time to get a project done.

    We've talked about fixing up our pantry closet that is underneath the stairs:

    https://imgur.com/a/3N3pO4d

    So far all that has been done is remove the ugly 1 wire shelf that was existing. My husband bought pine shelves and brackets from Lowe's as you see installed.

    I like the look of wood so he is planning on sanding, burning, and adding a poly coat.

    My question is what brand of poly would be best? Keep in Mind we aren't going in stores so prefer something that can bring it to the car or amazon prime.

    Also we do want to paint the walls in there so the black brackets blend more. I'm personally not a fan of the style he chose but we can make it work. Typically husband and wife can't agree on little details lol.

    Thanks for any input. Any additional input on what would look good feel free to share. Planning on doing some hooks of some sort on the opposite side for the broom etc.

    submitted by /u/ttrovato92
    [link] [comments]

    Are these cracks worrisome? What is this circular patch thing on the ceiling

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 09:20 PM PST

    Hi all, a first-time home buyer here.

    I uploaded the pictures here.

    I am wondering whether these cracks are a common thing.

    Also, does anyone know what is the circular patch thing on the ceiling?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/15acf4d3
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fix this?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 09:05 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/KDuJHtR

    These doors.. man. They close hard, let in lots of air, and and just freaking weird. I thought about putting in a glass sliding door, till the Pella guy gave me a 12,000 dollar quote (sorry, what? I said doors, not gold)

    I am not sure if this was some custom work just done with really cheap crummy doors.. or what.

    I don't want to spend too much money, maybe 6k for the job.
    The goal is to have functioning and non awkward doors. I also want a more secure door, notice that there are against code double cylinder locks, since its just a smash to undo a thumb lock, but thats secondary, and I can fix with Abloy Protec2s.. and I want to see more of my awesome back yard. Any ideas?

    In a perfect world... I would replace these with knotty alder accordion doors..

    The doors are an awkward 110 x 80 or 92 if your count the top bit. I am told that top bit will have to be redone..

    I think my options are,
    Pay stupid money, and go about my life, trying to live with the shame of paying someone 10k+ for a door..
    fix up the issues with the door and live with meh quality.
    rip it all out myself and build my own custom doors and redo the framing ( ... I give it a 50 / 50 this will happen)
    or.. your idea, because all these options suck.

    I don't think I can replace the doors without replacing all this custom framing.. If I could just order an unhung door in the right size, and replace the white with some knotty trim? Why do I think that wont work,,,

    help...

    submitted by /u/Starwind0
    [link] [comments]

    Mid Century Modern cold-roof garage insulation advice needed, please!

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    Hello!

    I have a 1964 MCM ranch in the PNW. After 57 years, the garage is finally going to be finished with insulation and drywall. It has low-slope vaulted ceilings open to the 2x6 joists and roof deck belly. There are four big 4x12 architectural ceiling beams, and those run through the rest of the house, too.

    It is a cold-roof, so I now understand that there needs to be approximately 2 inches of air space between the roof deck belly and the insulation, to avoid condensation by having unfettered air flow to the vents that run along the front wall of the garage. Before I knew this, I bought 2x6 R-21pink fiberglass insulation, thinking to just fill up the joist voids and call it good. Now I'm worried.

    1) Do I return the 2x6 pink stuff and replace with 2x4 R-15? It will automatically give me the two inches of air space needed, but will that insulation be completely inadequate to the point of just being dumb? I do understand that both of those are inadequate, but it's all that can be done-- right? There is no attic, the ceiling is the roof. It will be a garage gym, just hoping for some protection from the extreme heat or cold that comes around.

    2) Do I keep the 2x6, but buy the roof venting baffles (that look like sleds) and buy myself 1.4 inches of airspace (that will not be completely unfettered, looks like they are channeled) and then squish down the 2x6 insulation? This is a more expensive option, but is it a better option, or will squishing the 2x6 down a little kind of defeat the point of the higher R-value?

    I can partially see what was done above the indoor rooms adjacent to the garage, part of it has weirdly flat fiberglass with loads of airspace above, and some parts have loftier fiberglass with too-skinny baffles just laying on top of it, not connected to anything, but it is creating an airspace. I cannot see if they run all the way through to the vents on the other side of the house, or if there is just one on the edge leading to the uninsulated garage. I do feel air flow up there at the edge.

    So, which option do you think would be best? Or is there an option I haven't thought of at all? I don't want to spend for a professional installer, we are capable of doing the work no problem-- I just need a little experienced advice.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/chiavari
    [link] [comments]

    Update: Stinky drain in basement, the expensive culprit revealed

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 02:52 PM PST

    I posted on here twice before relating to the basement drain stinking up my house, with a large amount of sewage about 1 cm from the top of the basement drain. Well, emergency plumber found the issue.

    He sent a camera down there and turns out, there was a huge toilet paper clog. Ok, perfect. He removed it...only to find that the pipe connecting our house to the city sewer line is offset dramatically (city pipe is only on contact with about 1/3 of the outgoing house pipe), and that the TP clogged around that junction. So even though the TP is gone, we are still looking at a 10,000 dollar repair since now we need to get part of the cement in our basement and part of our brick driveway pulled up and dug to reconnect them.

    Le sigh. At least the problem has been discovered but its going to be so expensive to fix. Do any of you know if insurance would cover this? We only moved in 2 months ago and the other tenants had no idea about this so we can't get money from them.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Dancingdanish
    [link] [comments]

    Conflicted about floor choice.. need advice

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 06:26 PM PST

    UPDATE: Thanks for the fast responses! So selling the tile is already a definite no I've learned, thanks for that! I guess we will first try it a year or so to see if it's not too cold for feet etc and maybe try fixing with carpets and then we can still see if we want to put a flooring over it.

    Hello everyone, so in the house we're buying there are currently tiles everywhere. They're (as we've been told and confirmed by my dad) not cheap tiles and my dad would prefer us to keep them but I really don't like them... So we'd like to place laminate in the bedrooms and living room. However, hallway, bathroom, toilet and kitchen also have those tiles and there we're not sure what to put. Preferably we'd like to find something that is like a tile, but looks like laminate. I've seen something called vinyl laminate? And it says it's durable and water resistant. But I've also read it only stays good for 10-20 years? We want something that we put in now and will stay for the rest of our lives.

    Also, is there a way to break out the tile without maybe breaking them so we can maybe try and resell it for a little bit of money? Or do we just have to smash and throw away?

    We're first time buyers and the only things we know about renovations is from TLC shows so please be kind and act like we know absolutely nothing!

    submitted by /u/MrsMrki
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment