• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 16, 2020

    Home security: POE cameras on access point routers with vlan

    Home security: POE cameras on access point routers with vlan


    POE cameras on access point routers with vlan

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:04 PM PDT

    Hi I am looking to set up 3 cameras on my house. I am looking to purchase 3 Dahua cameras as I have seen them recommended for its budget price. However would like to keep them private, which i saw a VLan would help them isolated from the internet for any possible vulnerabilities

    I currently have my main router which is connected to an unmanaged 8 port switch, which is all sent to the keystone jacks in all of the rooms, and etc. I have put 2 routers that are configured as AP mode or access points. Then there are computers and wireless devices which are connected to those routers. (I got routers instead of access points, for cases like these, where the router, configured as an access point, would provide both wired and wireless switching)

    My question is, to set up a Vlan, I understand that i need a managed switch, but I am not too sure how I would go about connecting the cameras. I am trying to not drill holes and fish wires, so was hoping to connect the POE camera to one of the Access point mode routers. But if i were to do so, the cameras would be connected to the main router which if I did my research right, would be connected to the internet thus making my intent invalid?

    I am still not too sure how a vlan works. Can I have the cameras connected to a VLAN via an ip address instead of the port? because if that were to be the case, I would assume I can just make static addresses for the cameras and separate those from the rest of the devices(beside the NVR which I assume should be connected to the cameras). If not do i have to get multiple managed switches for each camera and connect to the same VLAN?

    Any other suggestions? I have not purchased anything yet, but would like to have a functioning idea so I can try and budget this security camera a little better. If there is any links that I have missed, please let me know

    submitted by /u/mexicanhanu
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to use security cam for wildlife at cabin

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 12:01 PM PDT

    Hi! Thought I'd ask here, as I assume you people know a thing or two about security cameras. Perhaps some of you also have experience with trail cameras.

    So, I'm looking for a gift for my mother. She loves to watch wildlife and birds, and we have a cabin in a forest clearing in my neighbouring country. There is wildlife on the property, but they obviously leave when we're there.

    I was originally looking for a trail camera, but I figured since the cam will probably be set up on one of the houses on the property, I would also look into security cameras. I don't really know the technical differences.

    These are my criteria:

    - No Wi-fi (cabin doesn't have Wi-fi)

    - Video recordings preferred (as opposed to stills)

    - Instant notification to my mum's phone would be cool

    Should I be looking at security cameras at all, or would a trail cam be better? Can I get a decent one with the above criteria for under $500? Any recommendations are very welcome!

    Thanks so much for any help, it is very much appreciated. I have no experience with video monitoring whatsoever.

    submitted by /u/DeepEnoughToFlip
    [link] [comments]

    Argus 2 camera questions about accessing recorded video/photos

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 10:06 PM PDT

    • I basically want to know if I have to take out the microSD card and view the media on my computer, or can I access everything via mobile app + router/wifi?
    • Any worthy heads-up stuff about this camera I should know about? Im in Indonesia so not many options for the wire-free battery camera.s
    submitted by /u/splishyandsplashy
    [link] [comments]

    Do Reolink really only work with proprietary NVR's?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    been looking at the Reolink RLC-410 because of features and most importantly price. I was sold until I scrolled down and seen that they only work with Reolink NVR's.My idea was to start small with one or two cameras, but eventually add maybe total 3-4 outdoor and 3 indoor cameras. I was hoping to save a few hundred bucks and use blueiris. I don't think I would need storage long term but the ability to move the videos to my NAS would be nice on like a 7 day rotation.

    Anyway, got off topic i think. Are there other cameras that match the RLC-410 that are compatible with non proprietary hardware/software?

    submitted by /u/didyoureset
    [link] [comments]

    Bad Idea? Thoughts/Recommendations?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 06:18 AM PDT

    So, I have an idea, and I wanted to get the hive's thoughts on my (likely crazy) vision.

    I live in a suburban area in the Midwest, with a corner house (road intersection touches my property). Nearly all vehicles come to the intersection in front of my house and turn left (away from my house).

    My house is on the side away from the streets; I have a fairly decent (30 feet or so) amount of front yard on either street.

    I want to be able to collect good footage of the license plates that go through the intersection. I'm a huge fan of Ubiquiti gear, unless someone has a compelling reason or idea on something to switch.

    My (crazy?) idea is to run a cat6 (shielded?) from my house to the light pole in the middle of my front yard. Then, via PoE, I'd hide a Unifi G3 under the physical light, pointed directly at the location where they would stop at the intersection. From the front of my house to the street is about 40 feet; this would put a camera about 25' away from the home, so it should have pretty good angle towards license plates.

    We generally don't turn on the yard light via a switch by the main door.

    Based on my reading, the interference from the existing power cable should be minimal. I could use a powered WiFi camera there and avoid running the ethernet cable, but my experience with WiFi has been...to avoid when possible. I'm about....90% confident I could fish the ethernet cable from the pole back to the house; obviously if that fails, then it's back to the drawing board.

    Prior footage of cameras on my house towards the street gives unusable license plates; the angles get hard to decipher. However, if my camera was quite close to the street, my theory is that it should be able to catch the plates pretty well. Another option would be to try and figure out a way to waaaay more zoom on a camera mounted on the corner of my house; there was a thread of a guy who hacked apart a G3 and put on some custom lenses, but I'm not that ambitious.

    Am I crazy? Is this a bad idea? what do others do/recommend?

    submitted by /u/tethys1564
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment