• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 21, 2020

    Home Improvement: Disagreeing with spouse over bathroom remodel cost. Need help.

    Home Improvement: Disagreeing with spouse over bathroom remodel cost. Need help.


    Disagreeing with spouse over bathroom remodel cost. Need help.

    Posted: 21 May 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    We have a handyman and his crew who have done small projects on our house.. retexture walls, pain, install moulding, fix tiles, install a door. Out of curiosity I asked his labor cost for remodeling my bathroom. I want the layout the same but I'd like a new vanity, new tile floors, a new toilet, a new tub and shower head, and tiling on the tub/shower walls. Our bathroom is nothing special... pretty small. He said labor would be around $1800. I told my husband and he said absolutely not, that is too low and we never sign contracts with him. He has not done us wrong yet and I don't know why I would risk going to a different contractor who might take months to finish, so shitty work, etc.

    My question, is $1800 too low? Should I hire someone who I can sign a contract with? Should I ask my current handyman if he has a contract? It is kind of a weird situation. He owns a power washing and remodeling company, but he always has to ask his "boss" for labor costs first. Idk who his boss is. He was only able to guess the labor for a bathroom remodel bc he has been in mine before. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sk8erboi1985
    [link] [comments]

    Splitting floor joist, Help needed

    Posted: 21 May 2020 04:59 PM PDT

    Looking at a floor joist in the basement there seems to be some splitting/cracking. Amateur here trying to strengthen it. Applied some loctite pl glue and clamped it. couldn't really get it applied properly. There is a knot in the joist which seems to have spawned the crack.

    Thinking I could possibly screw some wood screws through it in a few spots to tighten it together?

    What would you do? Any type of screw or length you recommend?

    https://imgur.com/rE3sD6e

    https://imgur.com/CTLGFKZ

    https://imgur.com/EoUUWor

    submitted by /u/NorthDance
    [link] [comments]

    Jackhammering next to curing pool shotcrete

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I was hoping to get some thoughts and advice - we're having a pool built by a local company, and had our shotcrete put in yesterday. This morning, less than 24 hours later, the gas company came and jackhammered a 2' deep trench alongside the entire 30' length of the pool. In one section it looks like maybe 4" of dirt between the trench and the shell.

    I'm surprised at the fast scheduling of this ... my assumption is that it's bad to vibrate concrete as it's curing, but our project manager insists that this is normal and won't cause long term issues.

    Here's pictures of the trench in the very tight space between the house and pool.

    Is this cause for concern? If the jackhammering did cause issues, would it cause visible issues or is this something that's going to cause cracking years down the road?

    Thanks for any input!

    submitted by /u/garblah
    [link] [comments]

    Gold for identifying this outlet

    Posted: 21 May 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    Two electricians and a handyman are stumped.

    One of the outlets in the room that looks like this one has a "Controlled by GFCI" sticker on it. It is also connected to an exterior non-GFCI outlet on the other side of the wall.

    Is this a timer?

    https://imgur.com/Fm0o45Q

    submitted by /u/ProcessingRight
    [link] [comments]

    Uneven garage door after replacing a snapped torsion cable.

    Posted: 21 May 2020 05:04 PM PDT

    Basically the left cable rusted and snapped and made the garage door uneven. Like when I close it all the way, there's a small 1inch space on one side.

    So I replaced the torsion cable hoping to fix it but nothing. I had to realign the other cable because it came off the drum too. I noticed that both cables are a bit loose when the garage is fully open too.

    I tried loosening/tightening the drums but nothing really worked. (Maybe I'm doing it wrong?)

    I haven't touched the middle spring because of the danger and if I have to resort to it, I'd rather just call someone more experienced.

    Basically my question is, how do you tighten the cables and fix the unevenness. ?

    submitted by /u/Niferwee
    [link] [comments]

    Tank vs Tank-less water heater

    Posted: 21 May 2020 09:57 PM PDT

    The water heater has been leaking and am about to order a new. Wanted to check with folks here on what the general consensus is.

    Tank-less seems to have the following advantages

    - efficient (save around 20-30 $ a year over the efficient tank models)

    - space saving

    Tank water heaters seem to have the following going for it

    - cheap ( almost half the cost still )

    - less or no maintenance required

    Is it worth the hassle to switch over to tank-less?

    submitted by /u/twopieman
    [link] [comments]

    Roofing Insurance Claim Denied

    Posted: 21 May 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    I live in a St. Louis suburb and had a hail storm come through on March 27. Since the storm occurred, houses all over the neighborhood have begun getting their roofing replaced. After some discussions with some neighbors, most of the said that their insurance companies covered most, if not all, of their repair costs.

    I had a roofing contractor do inspection first to see if there was enough damage to warrant a claim. He said there was enough damage and provided a bid to replace the roof. This morning, I had the insurance adjuster come out saying there was practically no damage at all.

    Should I have the roofing contractor come out with the insurance adjuster to perform a joint inspection? I feel like the adjuster is saying no to protect the insurance company and the contractor just wants the business.

    FYI my shingled roof is about 15 years old and I am in now way a roofing expert so I'm not sure how to look for damage myself.

    submitted by /u/sj1439
    [link] [comments]

    Hand-nailed baseboards are loose and won't stay flush to wall. Do I suck with a hammer and need a nail gun?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    I installed some 1/2" thick particle baseboards in my basement, and overnight certain spots have come loose. I drove them in with a nail setter, made sure I was hitting studs (pretty sure), but still no luck in some areas. I'm wondering if:

    1. need a nail gun?
    2. need different nails? (used 4D 1.5" smooth shank finish nails)
    3. need to get better with a hammer? (I bent about half of them and am wondering if I made the nail holes too big because of this)

    Thanks for any advice!

    Update: Shite...Thank you for all the advice! Sounds like I need longer, potentially thinner nails, and a nail gun will be my best bet.

    Trying to decide between a 16ga and 18ga nailer. Don't have a compressor yet, but plan to get one soon. If battery powered is just as reliable, I may be interested in one of those instead. As this will be my first gun, looking for whichever has the most usability. My baseboards are already swiss cheese at this point, so I'm happy to go with a 16ga if it is more versatile and will hold the baseboards in place better.

    submitted by /u/anon__34
    [link] [comments]

    Yard drainage issue

    Posted: 21 May 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/VF3Y4ni

    County property behind several houses has a drainage ditch which leads to a neighborhood pond. Our back yard has standing water when it rains. Looked today and noticed a roll of carpeting type material accross the ditch. Appears to be secured with a pipe through it into the ground. It looks to have been there a while.

    Would the county have done that? It acts like a dam, keeping water in area behind our house.

    submitted by /u/LuckyAce1974
    [link] [comments]

    Lights in kitchen went out, any electricians here?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    I have some weird electrical stuff going on. When I woke up this morning I turned my kitchen lights on. I brushed my teeth and when I came back to the kitchen the lights were all out but the switch was on. No big deal, I just need a new switch, right? WRONG! Installed a new switch and the lights still won't come on. Breaker is good for that switch, the outlet under it reads 120V AC and the wires to the switch read the same in the off position but OL when the switch is on. What do you think the issue could be?

    submitted by /u/axarmstrong35
    [link] [comments]

    Dishwashers that dry well

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:19 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    New to this sub! I've been on the hunt for a new dishwasher ever since my KitchenAid stopped drying and started producing a bad odor along with white film covering the dishes. I tried everything to fix it (replacedfilter, new heating element, etc.) and concluded that we just had to buy a new machine. This was 6 months ago and now hand-washing/drying everything is getting very old.

    After doing some research I've seen that Bosch is a highly recommended brand, but I've read mixed comments about their drying ability. Does anyone recommend anything else?

    submitted by /u/warrenkitchenwitch
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing Windows, am I paying too much?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm replacing 16 windows and I just got a quote from Anderson Renewal for $22k for all the windows. He said it was fiberex as for material. I'm wondering if this is normal amount to pay for or should I bail out asap? Thanks for help.

    Edit- I live on Long Island, New York. Sorry for lack of information, first time buying new windows.

    submitted by /u/Tridus1x
    [link] [comments]

    I've had an untreated patio deck for the past 2 years. Stained it every spring, and would chip/peel away by the fall. Is power washing + sanding the best way to treat it before I stain this year? (NE climate)

    Posted: 21 May 2020 09:53 PM PDT

    Trying to replace circuit breaker. Are these compatible?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    I have the following photo of the currently installed one and the one I found at home depot. The internet says you can replace afci with cafci, but these aren't quite the same size either. Is it still OK? Breakers

    submitted by /u/theGentlemanInWhite
    [link] [comments]

    Growth between pavers

    Posted: 21 May 2020 02:20 PM PDT

    Algae

    This is the second season on my 300sq ft paver patio and there's a lot of algae in between the joints of the pavers. It did rain a lot (US Midwest) the last few days, but the patio has great pitch and doesn't hold much water as far as puddles. Also, when I go to spray it away with the hose the algae actually pulls out the polymeric sand. Any insight into what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/TattooTeddyy
    [link] [comments]

    ISO Recommendations for low maintenance ways to deal with tiny side yard

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    We recently bought a house that has a small side yard. There's about 6 feet between our neighbor's fence and our house.

    https://i.imgur.com/h4DIpSM.jpg

    We never use this area of our property. There is a small stone paver path but otherwise it was dirt/weeds/grass. We put down black plastic to kill everything off a few months ago and are now trying to decide what would be the most low maintenance (without costing thousands and thousands of dollars) to redo this part of our yard.

    Our ideas so far:

    • Rock garden - Fill the whole area with rocks and some stepping pavers. This would take care of the mowing issue, but with two trees we're afraid their dropped leaves/flowers will eventually just build up a dirt layer in the rocks and we're back to where we started.
    • Poured concrete - In our old house we had a similar small side and the previous owner had poured a complete concrete walkway between the house and the fence. It was nice. Issues here would be that we'd like to keep the two trees or at least the one on the far end (which is actually the front of our house). We think if we did this we would stop before the far end tree. We're guessing this would be pretty expensive.

    That's all we can really think of. Are there any other ideas? Again, we don't use this area at all and our top priority is making it as low maintenance as possible.

    Not sure if these details matter but we live in a mostly dry climate and get snow in winter.

    submitted by /u/Michento
    [link] [comments]

    Tons of scratches in the stainless countertops

    Posted: 21 May 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    was thinking maybe its time to do something about it? then let it go for a while and do something about it again down the road. the stove/oven is also in the same way right in front of the front burners, could use some attention but i dont know how to go about it.

    submitted by /u/tomsfoolery
    [link] [comments]

    Remove Hedges Easily

    Posted: 21 May 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    I remember seeing a post a while ago about removing some hedges, and I thought I'd share my 2 cents! Took us around 4min to remove one hedge. Ratchet and chain, y'all! We knew these hedges had a shallow root system, so we knew that it most likely wouldn't be wrapped around the water line. We then tied some straps to a sycamore, and tied the chain around the base of the hedge, and then just ratchet-ed it out!

    Check it out! Hedge Removal

    submitted by /u/linzgibs
    [link] [comments]

    screwing in extra nails into drywall

    Posted: 21 May 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    I am thinking of trying to deal with periodic drywall popping noises on a certain section of wall in my bedroom (which I believe are due to expansion and contraction from temperature changes) by screwing in extra nails to secure it in place.

    Good idea or bad? I guess my main concern is what types of nails I should use (like what length?), and how much I risk hitting things like electrical wires or plumbing.

    I read that I should try to screw it into the studs behind the drywall, and I am going to use a stud finder to help me with that. But I also read that electrical outlets lie on the studs, does that mean the wires might travel up the studs?

    Any help appreciated thanks

    submitted by /u/ideagraph
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to install countertop supports?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    These granite countertops were installed today and I am hoping to get some guidance. My bar top is 13 inches deep with a 6 inch overhang. The wall supporting the bar is 5 inches deep. (Picture linked below) Do I need to install some sort of support bracket? I am finding cabinet support brackets online but they're all 8 inches deep at the smallest. Bar

    submitted by /u/zjjhn
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to tile over a floor that bows up in the middle?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    I live in a very old house with hardwood floors throughout except in the kitchen and bathroom where there is sheet vinyl over Hardie board that is nailed/screwed onto the original hardwood. I've had the foundation professionally leveled as best as can be, but the kitchen floor still bows up somewhat in the middle. The slope is fairly gentle but noticeable, and I think too much for leveling compound to fix.

    My wife wants it tiled. I'm not sure it can be.

    Have any of you had success with tiling over a floor that is bowed?

    submitted by /u/freerangepenguin
    [link] [comments]

    What does “Export only” on a mini split A/C mean

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    I'm trying to buy them online, but I keep seeing this everywhere

    submitted by /u/HeavySigh14
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom Vent Fan Ducting Issue?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 06:52 PM PDT

    I was up in my attic this evening verifying my radon fan was in fact dead and figured I'd check all the other bits and bobs while I was up there.

    There are two bathrooms that vent near each other and one looks fine while the other appears to have some darkness around it that I figured might be moisture escaping a seam or seal somewhere.

    Photo of the ducting out the side of the house.

    https://imgur.com/a/s7Y1qTY

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/strikeralley
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to push back this wall and put in a tub/shower?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    Trying to expand my bathroom. Is it possible to get plumbing for a drain over to that side of the bathroom? Joist direction obviously isn't ideal, and there is a bathroom below it. Just trying to push the wall back 3-4ft.

    http://imgur.com/a/b0nYoxc

    submitted by /u/bakerskitchen
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment