• Breaking News

    Friday, November 20, 2020

    Home Improvement: Remember: That Really 30 Minute Youtube DIY Video Can Be Watched at 1.25× or 1.5x

    Home Improvement: Remember: That Really 30 Minute Youtube DIY Video Can Be Watched at 1.25× or 1.5x


    Remember: That Really 30 Minute Youtube DIY Video Can Be Watched at 1.25× or 1.5x

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 10:10 AM PST

    I have a hard time remembering this but I frequently struggle through videos that are full of info but are just so damn long. Watching at 1.5× speed has been a huge time saver for me.

    submitted by /u/le_shrimp_nipples
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried using European light switches in the US?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 10:16 AM PST

    If anyone has traveled to Europe you know the switches I'm talking about. They're large paddle style switches that you can use with your arms full of groceries simply by using your elbow. Has anyone attempted to use them in the US?

    submitted by /u/praguer56
    [link] [comments]

    (Tool/Gadget review) Magnetic drywall outlet marking tool - This thing has finally solved my inability to cut-out accurate outlet holes!

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 11:25 AM PST

    Hi there. First, I'm not going to plug any specific product as there my be other similar products out there. I removed the "marketing" label in the pictures but the logo is still on the tool.

    https://imgur.com/a/Kn9YE0f

    So I have done a lot of DIY drywall over the years and I've always struggled with getting accurate outlet/switch cutouts.

    I usually do a bunch of measuring, marking, and drywall saw cutting - only to put up the sheet and see that I'm off by a 1/4 or 1/2 inch. Then I'm stuck cleaning it up with tape and mud so the outlet/switch cover fits right.

    I found this little tool online some time ago and bought it. It's been sitting in my shop waiting for my next drywall adventure, which just arrived with the current cabin I'm building.

    It's really simple. No moving parts. No batteries. Just magnets.

    This little cheap tool has made me finally proud of my box cutouts!

    submitted by /u/power-cube
    [link] [comments]

    Shot glass and garbage disposal

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 07:56 PM PST

    So the kids did the dishes tonight and let a shot glass go down the sink and turned on the disposal. I was hoping no big deal. I've unclogged the garbage disposal before. Vacuumed the inside of the drain then used a hex key to manually turn the disposal to try to dislodge the glass. Now it's stuck and won't rotate any longer. Am I screwed?

    I know I can remove the disposal but once I do how likely am I be to get out the remaining glass if I think it is deep within the unit?

    submitted by /u/Frontline989
    [link] [comments]

    Cabinet choice and home value

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 09:09 PM PST

    We're wanting to add some cabinets and considering IKEA vs. more traditional cabinets. Either way they'll have the fancy hardware. How might our home value generally change between these two options? Does one seem generally more valuable than the other to prospective buyers?

    TYIA

    submitted by /u/Cwtchwitch
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on removing deep, stuck staples

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 07:53 PM PST

    I have a home built in the early 70's, with staples being used to fasten the subfloor down. These floors are extremely squeaky and have disgusting carpet. So I started my project today to replace the carpet with LVP. Problem I've run into is that these staples don't budge (even when I can grab them with vice grips) and are buried below the surface of the plywood. I'd like to salvage the plywood as it's 5/8" thick on 16" centered joists, so it seems plenty adequate; not to mention currently ridiculous lumber prices. I would just leave the subfloor in and go for the new install; but as mentioned before, the floor squeaking drives me insane. I need to remove the subfloor and lay it back down with adhesive and screws.

    I've browsed several posts but can't find someone with a similar problem to mine. I'm going to try home depot in the morning, but just wanted to see if there was someone out there with wisdom pertaining to this specific issue. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/telephat
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix this

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 05:55 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/BZ48JBe

    From pushing a chair into drywall, pls help :)

    submitted by /u/blueeyedknees
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on installing hardwood in living room that would meet LVP in kitchen

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 11:19 AM PST

    I picked up roughly 400 sq feet of engineered maple hardwood that was only 5 yrs old and installed floating for a really good price. I'm trying to decide how it would look to install in my living room, however it would end up meeting up against a gray-ish LVP.

    The hardwood would begin there and I would replace the carpet with the LVP to meet it at the living room

    Here is how the hardwood looks directly against the LVP.

    Does doing this make sense or would it be awkward? Worst case, I would just use it on my office project and get rid of the rest.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SpaceShipDoctor
    [link] [comments]

    Did the flooring company do a good job of repairing our floors?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 07:55 AM PST

    We're paying a hardwood flooring company to refinish and replace some bad/damaged flooring in our new apartment. We're concerned about the gaps left with the new floor planks. Is this to be expected? When we've mentioned this to the workers they said they were matching the existing flooring.

    https://imgur.com/a/YHngD9Z

    submitted by /u/Adamas_Mustache
    [link] [comments]

    How to scrape/remove old grout from bathroom tile?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 03:43 PM PST

    Just moved into a townhouse and was unhappy with the state of our bathrooms. The grout in our shower stalls are cracked and have an unpleasant color despite my best attempts to bleach/CLR it. Our maintenance crew 'fixed' the old tile grout by putting little patches of grout on two areas, which obviously didn't help 95% of the remaining grout and resulted in shower residue to build back up.

    I would love to know if there's a tool to scrape some of the grout (the grout lines are only 1-2mm thick) and then if there's a sealant or something I could put on top to make the grout more appealing and make it easier to maintain with proper cleaning.

    My apologies if my terminology is off on some of these things, just trying my best to explain the situation. Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/michelle_coffee
    [link] [comments]

    Rim joist pach

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 04:19 PM PST

    Hi I had a old vent that was no longer needed so I got the bricks patched outside but the whole in the rim joist was still there so I got someone to put a new pice of wood with a pice of blue skin so cover the whole behind the brick. The vent was a old 6 inch round duckt. The wood alredy has the discoloration.

    So is this pach ok. If not what shuld I do.

    Also i had my kichen renovated and the installer told me vent ducks for the bedroom above needed to be rased slightly as the bulkheads were being removed to put better upper cabnets and the crown molding. But he cut the wood I dont know if it is supporting or not

    I asked him and he told.me a metal beam was above it so it was not supporting the wood was in the bulkhead.

    This was 4 months ago and I am having no issues with saging drywall cracking nothing.

    If a problem was to happen would I alredy see it.

    Link for pictures Is the wood on the rim joist ok. https://imgur.com/a/UKhbvtF

    Thanks.

    I can provide more info if needed.

    submitted by /u/XxmagicboyxX
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation for clearing out overgrown brush

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 05:49 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/ObvjE6e

    I bought a brush cutter for the smaller stuff , kind of works on anything that's less then an inch in diameter. Also have a chain saw attachment but it keeps getting jammed from vines etc.

    Any other suggestions? I want to get rid of all of this crap and plant some nice bushes instead.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/daterxies
    [link] [comments]

    hello! I am wanting to extend my chain-link fence so that it can fence in the side door as well, which one of these possibilities would work best?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 02:46 PM PST

    my driveway goes all the way up to the side door, and I am undecided if I should have the fence go around the driveway, or over it. Mainly, I want it to be functional and not look ugly. I do have some driveway space to sacrifice if I decide to go over it, I'm just concerned of the appearance.

    possibility-1

    possibility-2

    possibility-3

    thank you for your input!

    submitted by /u/Kiko7210
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative ways to keep home addition costs down

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 07:16 PM PST

    Hi all, I am looking to add an addition to our house that is either 11 x 12 or 11 x 20, depending on the cost difference to be used as an extra bedroom/office. I understand that traditional advice is that it is cheaper to build up than out, but we have a single floor house and do not want to move out during renovations (month-to-month rentals are scarce and expensive here). When I look at price estimates online, they vary from 20k to 100k+. We live in the tri-state area (NY,NJ, CT). With knowing that there are a slew of factors to sway the price in many directions, what are ways to keep the cost of a home addition down?

    1) When expanding out, does the entire roof always have to be replaced? Our roof is in good condition and appears newer, though we do not know the exact age of it (estate sale with limited info).

    2) Does the entire house's siding have to be replaced? We have a slightly faded color siding in good condition and the addition is planned to be in half of the front of the house. Any way creative ways around having a different siding or is aluminum siding not difficult to repaint to be matched?

    3) Most affordable foundation? Front of the house is nearly level to the ground (two steps to the door). The main house has a dirt floor basement where the front half has not been dug out (approx 3 ft clearance in the front and 6 ft clearance in the back to have room for hot water heater and laundry).

    If you have had an addition of this size in a fairly high cost of living area, I'd appreciate ballpark estimates you've received. Thank you all in advance for reading and any input you may have!

    submitted by /u/slowchurnedrunner
    [link] [comments]

    Help with solving a baby gate issue on open riser staircase

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 10:34 AM PST

    Hi there! I'm sure I could come up with some solution for this issue, but trust that this sub might have some better ideas to make sure I go with the simplest/most elegant solution.

    I own a split-level town home with an open riser staircase. We need to install baby gates for the regular reasons, but also because the open risers are specifically not safe for small childern. (Side note, I love the look of these stairs and they are grandfathered in to any codes, so we don't want any solutions that involve closing the risers.)

    The issue is, we have an asymetrical gap at the end of the staircase on the main floor that makes standard baby gates neary impossible to attach, so I think I'm looking at some customization here.

    Photos of the staircase and gap in question: https://imgur.com/a/W154dPl

    I plan to secure the gates with hardware vs. the tension-style since they'll be up for a while. I'm open to creating some kind of railing extension or other options. Ideas welcome!

    This is the style of gate I'm considering, but know I might need to customize: https://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Safeway-Hardware-Mount-Safety/dp/B006UMUBE2/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=black+baby+gate&qid=1605897148&sr=8-16

    Location - east coast USA (can be more specific if it matters)

    submitted by /u/alliegator31
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get my bathtub drain removed - I've busted two of the four crossbars. What can I try next?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 06:40 PM PST

    I have an older bathtub and drain that I want to replace. I bought a removal tool (fits across two bars, not all four), it snapped a bar. I got a heat gun, tried heating it up, then twisting again, only to break another bar.

    Now I'm down to two cross bars as you can see here.

    What are the my next steps before I have nothing left to torque? Is my only hope something like this?

    submitted by /u/HiHeyHowdyHello
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for new Smart Thermostat

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 06:08 PM PST

    I currently have a Nest thermostat, and I'm interested in trying something new. The main thing I'm looking for is granular stats on usage, and I'd prefer it not have a smart assistant baked in.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/webmin88
    [link] [comments]

    Added shiplap to a wall and having an issue with door/window casing.

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 09:42 PM PST

    I recently added shiplap to a wall with a door and window and I am having an issue with the door casing now. The shiplap has the added thickness on top of the drywall and it is no longer even with the jamb so I cannot add casing like I typically would.

    I can either trim back the shiplap and butt it up to the trim ( it would still extend out passed the trim) or I can try and shim the door jamb to get a more seamless look. Any advice or help is appreciated.Shiplap to jamb spacing

    submitted by /u/howsyermommanem
    [link] [comments]

    Is my house making me sick?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 05:51 PM PST

    Since covid, like many people I have been spending a lot more time in my house. I've had increased headaches since around Sept and suspect it could have something to do with my house.

    I'm curious if anyone has had tests performed on their home or have discovered anything in their house that could cause health problems. I've changed furnace filters, cleaned, have carbon monoxide detectors installed etc. The symptoms seemed to have started around Sept so I thought it may be related to turning on the furnace and not having windows open as much.

    I've thought about cleaning my ducts although I've heard mixed reviews on that.

    The house was built in the 70s and has seen lots of renovation. Basically everything except the basement has been upgraded.

    I'm not allergic to anything but it's been awhile since that test so thinking of getting retested.

    submitted by /u/mtbandrew
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a best way to deal with a sump pump cover and vinyl flooring in a basement?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 11:42 AM PST

    I am installing vinyl flooring in my basement and there is a sump pump cover that sits flush with the floor in the corner of the room. Originally I was going to run the flooring as close as possible to the cover and cut the planks so you could access the cover.

    I'm using the floating floor style of planks that are not glued down, will I run into issues if I just let the flooring end where the pump begins? Or is it better to square off the corner where the cover is and give the flooring something to butt up against? Or is there a better way to deal with it?

    I have a couple photos of that helps:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/exwKO8u

    submitted by /u/notedrive
    [link] [comments]

    Basement waterproofing questions/opinions needed

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 09:21 PM PST

    Hello! I just closed on a house 2 days ago and plan on moving in roughly a month from now. I have 4 cats that have an eye for trouble so I would really like to get the basement cleaned up and painted before we move in to avoid their getting into things. There was a bit more going on in the basement then I remembered so I want to see if anyone has any insight. I have attached photos below from the inspection and a previous visit to the house below.

    I planned on removing the old paint from the walls and painting them with this paint.

    https://www.menards.com/main/paint/interior-paint-stain/waterproofing-paint/zinsser-reg-watertite-reg-lx-concrete-masonry-waterproofing-paint/271098/p-1444452984691-c-8033.htm?tid=-4894525858068861250&ipos=12

    There are chunks of the floor missing where they put in support beams. I'd like to fill these in and make them as smooth as possible. (I would love any suggestions or product recommendations for this).

    Once the holes are filled I plan on painting the floors.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/D4ZvcsJ

    Also can anyone explain to me the purpose of the creepy plastic covered room? Thus far I have assumed it was for murder purposes.

    Please let me know if you have any suggestions, comments, or warnings!

    submitted by /u/Cattherapist4
    [link] [comments]

    Water heater setup question

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 10:01 AM PST

    Is any one aware of what this pipe is for? This runs against the stud and now dripping water from the end which triggered my water leak detector. Haven't seen this pipe dripping water before. This outlet pipe is connect to the cold water. Also, what that knob does?

    Thanks!

    pics

    submitted by /u/prazy4real
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment