• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 26, 2020

    Home Improvement: PSA: Don’t wait till Thanksgiving to find out that peeled potato scraps shouldn’t down the garbage disposal.

    Home Improvement: PSA: Don’t wait till Thanksgiving to find out that peeled potato scraps shouldn’t down the garbage disposal.


    PSA: Don’t wait till Thanksgiving to find out that peeled potato scraps shouldn’t down the garbage disposal.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 11:58 AM PST

    I don't want to talk about it.

    Edit: PSA #2: Thanksgiving is a bad time to realize you loaned out your plunger 2 years ago and you never got it back.

    submitted by /u/BeHereNow91
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a house with this clever hot/cold outdoor faucet that I don’t know how to make work.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 04:27 PM PST

    Anyone have ideas on how to make this work? My guess is you have to unscrew the collar?Hot/Cold Faucet

    submitted by /u/Thrinw80
    [link] [comments]

    Dish soap kills wasps/hornets and even large spiders

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 09:19 PM PST

    It eats away at their exoskeleton. There are bottles of dawn in spray bottles that are stronger than their bottled friends. A lot of people don't know this! I've learned this from a youtube channel where this dude is super experienced with wasps. So don't let them terrorize you outside and keep some dishsoap near ya

    submitted by /u/Micheal__Afton
    [link] [comments]

    Really having a dilemma on what to do with the floors in the house I am purchasing. Any advice would be appreciated.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 07:43 PM PST

    Hi all.

    I am closing on a house on Monday, and we will have a pretty good amount of time before we actually move in to do things like paint and figure out the flooring.

    The house has hardwood floors in the living room, dining room, and bedrooms. They are pretty old and dated, and just don't look that great. It has an ugly carpet in the basement that would need to be replaced as well, but that's not a top priority.

    My wife is not the biggest fan of hardwood floors, so the initial thought was to carpet the living rooms and bedrooms. Then when I started talking about that, people kind of blasted me for covering up perfectly good hardwood floors. I started looking at the cost to restain and refinish the hardwood, and holy hell it's expensive. From what I was reading, it's about $3 per square foot minimum. Like I said, that is a lot of floor to refinish, and my budget for this is roughly $3k.

    My wife then started talking about LVP in the living room and maybe the upstairs.

    Basically, what are everyones thoughts on HW vs. Carpet vs. LVP? Like I said, it's a big job for really all three. Not really even sure I have enought money to do all of that, since its roughly 1000 sq feet to refloor.

    submitted by /u/Mikeb1123
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove white paint from brick fireplace?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 04:55 PM PST

    New home has whitewashed brick around the fireplace. Easy enough to remove myself?

    submitted by /u/Heavy_Cheddar
    [link] [comments]

    Large floor tile loose

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 04:52 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/xfuOHTO

    Size is 32x16"

    Second year in the house this December. We noticed a small bit of grout come loose about 3-4 months ago, and it's now evolved (devolved?) into this situation. The tile itself is very slightly able to wobble. There is an area with the "hollow" sound along the one corner.

    From what I read, the optimal route of repair is pull the tile up and redo...issue with that is the island wall is blocking it a bit.

    I'm fairly handy, but have zero tile work and am at a loss with the next step. So...what say you handy people of Reddit? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/kcfoot
    [link] [comments]

    How do I estimate the efficiency of my gas boiler?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 04:51 PM PST

    Trying to determine whether it's worth the cost to replace my current boiler (I know the answer is usually "no", but I still want to do the calculation). My house is a 1500 sqft bungalow with 6" of insulation in the attic (actually I'd like to get that up to more like 20"), built in 1955. The boiler appears to be original to the house and is 510,000 BTU/hr. From what I can tell it's way oversized for the house. I was told it is actually probably a small commercial boiler, meant for a triplex or something. My heating bills are astronomical, even though gas is cheap here. How do I figured out how much I would save in energy costs by upgrading to a mid or high efficiency unit?

    submitted by /u/McKellarLite
    [link] [comments]

    8ft Vinyl Fence Recommendation

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 04:19 PM PST

    Checked HD, it would be over 10k in material alone. 6ft is cheaper but I really want 8. Recommendations would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/onemoredollar
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to easily split a wall register?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 05:06 PM PST

    I have a small powder room that doesn't have a register/vent so it gets a bit cold compared to the rest of the house. I could install a new duct line split off from the main but there is a wall/floor register right on the other side running in the wall cavity in a 2x4 wall. I'm wondering if I can just cut out the back of the rectangular duct and install a baffle to split the air to two registers and then fine tune with how open the registers are. Or is there a premade solution for this? I found some split return air ducts for equalizing are between rooms but not this specific setup

    https://imgur.com/a/Av5f4Jw

    submitted by /u/redlude97
    [link] [comments]

    I'm trying to figure out a quote for new countertops but I cant figure out the math

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 07:07 PM PST

    Okay so I measured my counters tonight but I think I'm messing up the math to get the square footage. I did

    (88.5x38.5)+(157×25)+(25×16)+(25 ×17)+(50×25)+(36.5×25)

    I took that answer and divided by 12 to get feet and it was insane- like 300 square feet. My kitchen is around that size. But all those numbers are length and width of my counters, and it's extra because I didn't include the sink cut in that is 32.5x19.

    Where am I messing up? I'm terrible with math.

    submitted by /u/sabertoothdiego
    [link] [comments]

    Want to learn how to build to code by building a deck and shed. Are there kits, plans or books I should read? What are the best most concise and straightforward ways for me to learn?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 02:02 PM PST

    Want to learn how to build to code by building a deck and shed. Are there kits, plans or books I should read? What are the best most concise and straightforward ways for me to learn?

    submitted by /u/OutdoorsyGeek
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts On This Tool Purchase

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 12:56 PM PST

    I'm purchasing a house with my wife in January and I want to take advantage of holidays sales, without buying things I dont need of course. I was thinking of purchasing this tool kit to acquire some basic tools at what seems to be a decent price. I'm trying to get some thoughts on this price/kit. Thanks! https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-6-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-P1819/309659455

    submitted by /u/nahaka1
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling fan with dimmer switch

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 04:33 PM PST

    Hello all, my wife and I just purchased a new home and all the ceiling lights are dimmable. Obviously all the switches have an off and on switch as well as a dimming switch to lower or make the lights brighter. Can I hook up a ceiling fan to one of the switches? Will anything mess up? Even if I just keep the dimming switch all the way up and not mess with it?

    Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/Vhsanchez89
    [link] [comments]

    Hanging hammock inside apartment

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 03:50 PM PST

    I'm hoping to hang my hammock in my apartment, wondering if anyone has experience with this!

    My hammock is 108" L x 55" W. The area I'm planning on hanging it in is about 9.5 ft across. I have two heavy duty caribbeaner clips and eye screws that can hold 320lbs per eye screw and am going to use a drill to make pilot holes in the walls. I'm referring to "theultimatehang.com" which I was recommended to use for calculations, but I'm still nervous to get drilling. Does anyone have advice on this topic?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/yitsmeofcourse4
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fill this gap in the trim of my exterior doors window? Water leaks in.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 09:00 AM PST

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/REy2iYS

    I was thinking acrylic caulking? Not sure.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ZappaMugs
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to fix my garage door?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 10:10 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    The door of my garage has an older setup, as shown in pictures. Sometimes the rollers slip out, the whole thing loses alignment, you have to watch the left side else it will "bind" against the garage door opening, etc. My husband was looking at adding extra reinforcement to the rails to try and get it riding smoother, but with Corona we would really like to get this figured out in as few trips to the hardware store as we can. We would be open to refreshing the parts, some kind of replacement kit, or something else? When trying to look up options online, I'm lost in all the different types of doors, this one doesn't "roll" with panels like many of the options I see online. What's the best way to go about getting a door that opens and closes easily? Extra bonus points if we can lock/unlock and open/close from the outside!

    https://imgur.com/a/n4BbA54

    Edited to add: the door is 7 ft tall, 8 ft wide

    submitted by /u/myownstunts
    [link] [comments]

    Plywood over Particleboard subfloor?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 09:23 PM PST

    Renovating a 1970s cabin. The flooring in the living room is 1 inch particle board over planks. I need to raise it 1/2 inch to be level with the kitchen and plan to install vinyl plank flooring on top. Particleboard is sound and dry. Am not worried about raising the floor as the ceiling are high and the adjoining room has already had the floor raised.

    What are the options? Can I install 15/32 plywood over the particleboard and bond it with adhesive and nail. Do I nail through the particle board and into the joists? Or does the particleboard need to go and be replaced with 1 inch OSB or plywood?

    submitted by /u/neverendingphd
    [link] [comments]

    I seem to have purchased a home in which someone tried to finish the basement but stopped?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 07:21 AM PST

    Hi All,

    First off, Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for staying at home and safely browsing Reddit. I apologize for the terrible title, but I believe it's true. Based on the pictures, are you able to tell if this is the work of someone who began to frame the basement and then decided to rip out all the work?

    My goal this winter is to finish the basement myself (or at least as much of it as I can), and I'm wondering how much of a hitch this "previous work"(?) puts in my plans. There are, what seems like, nails sticking up out of the concrete flooring all throughout the perimeter of the portion of the basement which I planned on finishing... Is it a big deal to pull those out? Do I need to fill in the little holes that may remain? Why might someone go through the trouble of framing the basement and then ripping out all of the work?

    In any case, thank you for your time. Again, Happy Thanksgiving.

    [Pictures](https://imgur.com/a/WY1FfYg)

    submitted by /u/Scythorn
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to determine if my shower tile in recently purchased home is slate or not?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 09:11 PM PST

    I want to buy a new shower head but it says it won't work on slate.

    submitted by /u/Whitey98
    [link] [comments]

    Custom Curtain Rods

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 09:02 PM PST

    Hello all!

    I am looking to install a continuous curtain rod (no brackets in the middle, no telescoping) for my patio sliding doors with a length of 120 inches.

    From research, I noticed that my usual sources (Crate & Barrel, CB2, Pottery Barn, etc.) don't fit my parameters. They have curtain rods but once it exceeds 60 inches or so, they would need to splice/split the rod with a connector in the middle or brackets. I'm looking to be able to continuously pull all the curtains to the left (or right) without it getting stuck in the middle or feel that "bump" hence the need for a continuous rod that's sturdy enough for the length and weight of fabric curtains.

    Does this mean I have to go custom? Any experience with custom curtain rod companies?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_A_FUN_SELFIE
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix damaged wood finishing?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 08:49 PM PST

    Krazy glue got on my table and ate away at the glossy finish. I want to fix it and make it less noticeable so how would i go about doing that? Also I'm sorry if this sort of post isnt allowed on this subreddit. Please let me know where would be a better place to post.

    submitted by /u/ReformedWheeze
    [link] [comments]

    Improved insulation and bathroom venting over bathroom next to garage, connected to knee wall.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 08:48 PM PST

    Insulated my terribly "insulated" knee wall/bathroom attic connected to garage.

    Edit: link formatting Edit 2: formatting of supply list

    Pics

    I had a home energy audit done on my house in May and found some spots of terrible insulation. This project is concerning a space in the attic over a bathroom on the opposite side of my garage wall and a knee wall with my living room on the opposite side. In pic 3 you can see that the insulation that I inherited was was placed between the studs of the wall separating the garage from the space in question and also between the studs separating the top of this space and the inside house attic. This created a space that had the cold garage air in it, as it was not air sealed at all, and that cold air was directly against my living room wall and bathroom ceiling. I essentially created a new, smaller conditioned space by insulating the knee wall and bathroom ceiling itself. I live in southern Colorado in the energy star R-value zone 5.

    I used a combination of fiberglass batts and fiberglass rolls to achieve my R-value (more details in picture notes below).

    I also fixed the ventilation of the bathroom fan, as before it was simply an un-insulated vent hose literally nailed to the roof sheathing where the roof vent was. I installed a correct goose neck vent in the roof and connected the fan to it with insulated flex duct.

    All supplies came from Home Depot.

    1 package R30 16x48 inch batts - $60.98

    2 packages R38 24x48 inch batts - $174.96

    4 packages R30 15 inch x 25 foot rolls - $129.92

    1 package R8 4 inch x 25 foot flex duct - $41.64

    1 goose neck roof vent - $27.68

    1 3" 90 duct elbow - $4.24

    1 4" to 3" duct reduced - $6.62

    120 yards Flex fix silver duct tape - $9.75

    100 yard Vinyl hangar strap - $13.98

    Sheet metal screws - $4.42

    Plus tax and less veteran discount, grand total: $494.74

    Imgur pics

    1: The bare space before placing all of the insulation. The orange great stuff you seen in the far end is in conjunction with foam board insulation closing up a gaping whole that existed between this space and my furnace closet inside.

    2: Alternate view with some insulation already in because I remembered I wanted before pictures after I already started.

    3: Page from energy audit done in May showing temperature difference. The thermal image was taken from inside the living room looking up at the knee wall. The temperature is the knee wall itself and the blue temperature is the inside wall that forms a sort of shelf. The top of the shelf part is the ceiling/roof of the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The non-thermal pics are the ones the auditor took, they show how the insulation was originally in the space when I moved into the house.

    4: Knee wall and bathroom ceiling. From this angle you can sort of see a little "pocket" between the knee wall and bathroom ceiling that's about 2' deep. As you can see by the height of the studs on the bathroom ceiling, the batts I stuffed into the pockets did not get compressed too much. Stuffing the pocket was necessary because it's bathroom ceiling space underneath.

    5: I took this picture from standing (crouching) in the attic space over my garage looking at the knee wall. On the opposite side of the knee wall looking in this direction is my living room.

    6: First layer of batts. R-30 on the knee wall, R-38 on the bathroom ceiling. I went with the 38 on the ceiling because Home Depot had them in that width (24" compared to the knee walls 16") for cheaper than R30, so I said why the hell not. The black straps are vinyl duct hanging straps. They're laid down in this picture in preparation to be stapled up holding the second layer of insulation onto the knee wall.

    7: Progress on getting the rolled R30 batts up onto the knee wall. I tried my best to get a good balance of tension on the straps so as to secure it the wall well enough to not sag but also to not compress it too much.

    8: Knee wall second layer fully up

    9: Cleaned up the hangar straps. Zero functional difference but I couldn't just leave them hanging will nilly.

    10: Part of the way through laying the rolls down on top of the bathroom ceiling batts.

    11: Finished product. I know this isn't the most flattering angle but getting that last roll down on the bathroom ceiling closest to me was a bitch, because as you can see the space between the studs to get into the space was tiny, and I am most certainly not.

    I'm not a pro by any means, just an engaged new homeowner. Critiques and feedback welcome.

    Thanks for checking it out!

    submitted by /u/Di5cipl355
    [link] [comments]

    Why would the previous owner install a switch in this location? As far as I can tell, it’s not wired to anything. It’s in the living room where you would put a couch.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 07:43 AM PST

    switch

    Edit: I haven't checked, but it's probably wired to the plate next to the switch... but still, what could this be for? Why would you put a switch so close to the floor?

    submitted by /u/AberrantDevices
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment