• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 26, 2020

    Home security: Looking for discrete indoor motion sensor that sets off alarm on my phone

    Home security: Looking for discrete indoor motion sensor that sets off alarm on my phone


    Looking for discrete indoor motion sensor that sets off alarm on my phone

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 10:15 AM PST

    This may be an odd post, but long story short- due to a divorce and losing some income from COVID, I'm staying with my parents for the next few months to save money.

    The problem is my mother- she doesn't respect my privacy and will walk into my bedroom as she knocks. There is no lock on the door, and it's not my house so I can't install one. I've tried talking to her about respecting my privacy but it doesn't make a difference. As a woman in my late twenties, there are often times I would appreciate a heads up that someone is approaching my room.

    My bedroom is off of a staircase that leads above the garage. The only reason someone would be climbing those stairs would be to get to my bedroom. I was looking into setting up a motion sensor near the bottom of the stairs- but there are a few obstacles & I'm not the most familiar with how these things work, even after doing research. There is no door at the bottom of the stairway, and it's located in a high traffic area. Anytime someone leaves the house, they need to walk through the living room, past the base of the stairs, and into the breezeway to get into the garage.

    If I set up a sensor facing that way I'm assuming it will go off all damn day. My second thought was placing something on the side wall in the interior of the stairwell, facing the opposite wall.

    Does anyone know of a motion sensor that would be a good fit for this purpose? Most of the ones I saw online have peripheral sensors, which I don't want. I only want it to register if someone is actually coming UP the stairs, not walking by at the bottom. I'd like something that sends a alarm/notification to my phone so I have 10 seconds to.. get myself together before my mother walks into my bedroom.

    Also- I'm hoping for this to be as discrete as possible so I can avoid having to explain why I need it in the first place.

    Please, no "relationship" advice about my mother. I have tried several things already before getting to this point.

    Can anyone help? Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/AlllyMaine
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to understand security system landscape

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 01:24 PM PST

    Right now I have a SimplSafe system with various sensors, doorbell cam and another extra camera that I have outside. I'm paying for 24/7 monitoring (happily) with camera coverage.

    I really like a lot of the features that seem to be missing from other providers (wide variety of sensors, mobile app for camera viewing & arm/disarm, keyfob).

    I'm thinking of switching for a couple of reasons and would like to know if there is a system that better suits my needs, or if I need a combination of things.

    Reasons:

    1. The cameras aren't 24/7 recording. I can't go back and just watch what happened at any time. It seems like for the most part none of the cameras in the "home smart security" space really do 24/7 recording (aside from maybe Nest? which doesn't exist any more?), so this may be something I need to suck up, but options here would be appreciated.
    2. The extra camera is wired. I'd kinda like a battery-powered camera (or few) so that I can monitor in spots near where there isn't any power. I don't have exterior power outlets aside from near the door, and don't really like the idea of exterior cameras just being "plugged in". It seems like Arlo has decent battery-powered cameras, but they don't have full monitoring as far as I can tell. (It seems like something got announced at CES 2019, but it also may be Australia only, TBH this has been super confusing).
      Right now this extra camera is running on a cord through a window, I don't like this for the obvious reasons.
    3. The camera seems like an indoor camera with a jacket. The quality just doesn't seem there for the extra camera. It fogs up in the rain. I've had two that did this. Did I just get unlucky?
    4. No smarthome triggers. I wish when I armed/disarmed that I could get something on IFTTT or Alexa or something to trigger. Or something to happen when a specific sensor fires. It's nice that I can tell Alexa to arm the system, but that seems to be the extent of it. This is also the area that appears to be the least well-documented. It seems like Vivint has the "best smarthome integration" but I don't know what exactly that means.

    I realize 24/7 recording + battery is probably a pipe dream, but I'm curious what opinions are around these concerns.

    submitted by /u/admachina
    [link] [comments]

    Car broken into. Need security camera in driveway advice needed

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 02:59 PM PST

    I recently had my car broken into and that has pushed me to try and set up some sort of security in my drive way. I've been looking at the Reolink POE RLC-410 camera, but I don't have any ethernet port nearby to connect the camera to. I was thinking about getting a powerline to put in my garage and run the Ethernet cable to that, but after doing some research it seems that powerlines aren't reliable. I have considered a wireless camera, but I'm also unsure about their reliability also. If anyone can offer me advice it would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ThatBawss
    [link] [comments]

    Phylink camera app for iPhone

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 08:29 AM PST

    Does anyone know what app for iOS will work with a Phylink camera? I have moved from Android to iOS and cannot find one. There used to be one from Phylink themselves but it has been removed, and surprise surprise, Phylink are ignoring my support emails.

    Does anyone have one of their cameras and uses an Apple mobile device to monitor it?

    submitted by /u/rakiya
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment