• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 11, 2020

    Home security: How Likely Can a Person Hack your Home Security System?

    Home security: How Likely Can a Person Hack your Home Security System?


    How Likely Can a Person Hack your Home Security System?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    This is one of my irrational fears, but let's say you install (or have someone install) some security cameras and monitors in your home. Is it possible for a person with malicious intent to hack the security system, if they work for the company that makes these products?

    By hacking, that could mean, getting access to the cameras to spy on people, or successfully unlocking doors in the house without alarms going off.

    Note: I don't know where else to post this question, since r/AskReddit doesn't allow text for some reason. If there's a better place to ask questions like these, please let me know.

    submitted by /u/Te-Yurina
    [link] [comments]

    Going labor rate to install a hardwired system

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    From time to time, I wonder if I'll sleep better at night with an old-school hardwired system instead of my current wireless sytem. Just for curiosity's sake, can anyone give me a ballpark idea of the labor costs involved with installing:

    • A conventional hybrid system, like a DSC 1832
    • in my three-story wood-frame townhome, with
    • two door sensors and two keypads on the ground floor, all within a few feet of each other
    • one door sensor, two motion detectors, and a siren on the second floor
    • one keypad, motion detector, two window sensors, and the can itself on the third floor

    I realize my exact cost will vary. But before I waste anyone's time by having local alarm companies (most of which are mostly installing wireless now) come out here and give an actual quote, I want to find out if my ballpark is closer to $1k or closer to $5k or if I'm better off just hiring an electrician.

    I'm not looking to debate the merits of wired vs wireless. I'm just wondering about the cost of my curiosity.

    EDIT: No basement or crawlspace; slab foundation. Easy access to attic. No drop ceilings. Electric is already in place where the can would go. Fairly new building (circa 2012). I'm fine with drywall getting patched up; we're about due for an interior paint job anyway. Knowing this will cost more, I'd prefer to just have the system installed and I'll monitor with a company of my choosing.

    submitted by /u/CatOfTheDecade
    [link] [comments]

    Magnetic door locks?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    We're remodeling and changing out our front door to a french door. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi system that would work with a magnetic lock. I'll have it on a battery backup so it still works when power is cut but are they as secure as deadbolts? More so? Recommendations on models? Other recommendations on securing a french door? I plan on having it swing to outside instead of in.

    submitted by /u/hand___banana
    [link] [comments]

    Recording 24/7 over Wifi. Bad idea?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    I will eventually run an Ethernet cable to my camera but how bad of an idea is it to set my camera to record 24/7 over a reliable WiFi connection?

    submitted by /u/Junior466
    [link] [comments]

    Record video for a whole day or two?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Is there a camera which can record constantly for 1-2 days regardless of movement and save the files to a cloud or a memory card? I am looking at D-Link and TP-link but the description is saying they can record between 30 seconds and 6 minutes depending on the model.

    submitted by /u/Shingekun
    [link] [comments]

    How do people like the eufy cameras

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 07:01 AM PDT

    Hello! I am continuing my quest to find homekit compatible stuff. I like the interface of homekit a lot. Eufy comes up a lot and was wondering what everyone's experience with them is?

    submitted by /u/cantankerous_cow
    [link] [comments]

    Analog NVR? Options

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    I bought a house and previous owner had some lighting and I believe cameras installed. I would like to plug into the system, but the box is very expensive and I'm not sure if it even works. Need some help and ideas on your experience with this type of system since I have none. Other option is to go with a home security system like ADT.pics of connections

    submitted by /u/earlytomorrow1
    [link] [comments]

    CCTV Question

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 10:40 AM PDT

    Hi, uh, weird question.

    I understand this is the homesecurity sub so my intended question may be beyond the scope. Instead I'll ask: does anyone have a good sub recommendation for large corporate CCTV setups? r/cctv is dead mostly, I've asked this question there twice and gotten bad responses.

    The question I want to ask is: does anyone know any software for Windows 10/PC which is capable of viewing the live feed and playback of cameras/DVRs/NVRs from many vendors, with no limit on the connected devices? (live view and playback limit of 32/64 is fine) Management features would be nice but aren't required.

    My important systems are from Dahua, HikVision, and Uniview, but I also have Bosch, iPolis (Samsung/Hanwha), IndigoVision, Milesight, ZKTeco and even some generic ones.

    Essentially I have DVRs/NVRs all over the place and I'm using SmartPSS, iVMS, EZStation, and the other dedicated apps for each brand. Some of the apps are so bad, like SmartViewer for iPolis - I can't install it on most machines, and when I do it doesn't want to work properly. I would really benefit from some agnostic solution. But everything I try ends up not working properly or not at all.

    submitted by /u/kaldarash
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment