• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 6, 2020

    Home Improvement: There is an obnoxiously loud foghorn noise anytime I flush a toilet or use any sink in the house.

    Home Improvement: There is an obnoxiously loud foghorn noise anytime I flush a toilet or use any sink in the house.


    There is an obnoxiously loud foghorn noise anytime I flush a toilet or use any sink in the house.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    If the water hasn't been used in my home for more than about 20 or 30 minutes and I go to use a sink or flush a toilet from any of the three bathrooms in my home, it makes an obnoxiously loud foghorn noise from somewhere in the crawlspace under the house. I suspect it's coming from this. Any ideas on what would cause this noise and how I can fix it?

    submitted by /u/ace425
    [link] [comments]

    All the thanks to the person suggesting testing your furnace before it gets cold!

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:52 AM PDT

    I previously posted on here during the summer asking about how frequently you should clean/check the evap coil drain because mine had plugged up and overflowed. Turns out some of that water got on the gas control valve and broke it. After seeing that post not thinking I would actually have any problems, I tried mine and sure enough it didn't work.

    Worse off, it didn't even work in a way that was explained in the technical manual for it. Only having a vague reference saying that if the diagnostic light is solid then replace the control. Unsure of whether that meant the control valve or control board, I choose the one that made the most sense. Given the A/C and fan worked, just not the heat it seemed like the most logical choice. Once I got the part in and also picked up a new set of pliers to be able to hold it while tightening the black pipe, I had it swapped out in about 30 minutes and thankfully have heat again.

    Although as almost anyone should be aware, I gave myself plenty of time since I still shouldn't turn the heat on until no sooner than Nov 1st.

    submitted by /u/utvak415
    [link] [comments]

    Removed basement stairs now upstairs floors slightly uneven

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    So i removed stairs from my basement (I still have 2 exits and points of entry) last summer. I lowered and poured new cement in my basement. In the process of the pour i removed the basement stairs, my lolly columns was also replaced with a new set of lolly columns. When the contractor added the new lolly columns there was a loud pop sound when removing the middle column. I had structural engineer come in and i was told everything was ok. He said and i quote " That I just woke up an old sleeping house and there was nothing to worry about". I noticed that my two family old house took a little dip, nothing major but i noticed it. Two doors would not close unless i picked it up a little bit. I am in the processes of starting to frame up and close up my basement but i don't want to close anything without addressing this issue. I am not sure which one caused the dip, the stairs the columns, both or just the house reacting to the additions.

    I recently took a shot at jacking up my beam. I used the starting of the beam as a reference point to know what needed to be leveled with no success. It actually made the doors harder to close. But the floors are becoming even but not the stairs area.

    so here is my questions?

    Is there any way i can figure out which angle do i need to go. Meaning what approach i can take as a DIYer.

    The other option is finding someone that will be able to do it. I am located in NYC so finding someone that can actually do the work is a little complicated. I have checked craigslist, thumbtack and just asked around with no one giving me the right answer.

    I have tried leveling out the the floor with no solution.

    Here are some pictures.

    https://imgur.com/a/E4hcof0

    submitted by /u/brooklyn2k
    [link] [comments]

    Driveway Gate Over Asphalt

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:36 PM PDT

    I'm planning to build a driveway gate (mainly to keep the kids in the backyard) across about 9 feet of asphalt. This would be my first non-trivial home improvement project, so I'm not sure if it's too difficult.

    The asphalt goes all the way to the house. I'm thinking about a double-door gate. Is it correct that I will need to put in a post by the side of the house? What's the most budget-friendly way to break through the asphalt? And are there any potential issues with digging a 4-foot hole (e.g. does putting it too close to the house risk water damage)? I think it needs to be 4 feet because of the frost line (southern ontario). The other post is shared with the neighbour, and it's a bit old. Would it be better to put in ANOTHER post to hang the gate on?

    This is the driveway: https://imgur.com/a/lUDkdJ0

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/wrengar
    [link] [comments]

    My water is coming out black!?!?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 04:54 PM PDT

    I wish I could post a picture but my water is coming out black from every faucet! Within the past 2 years I've installed a new water heater, new softener, and all new copper piping to every faucet in my house! Why the hell is my water just now turning black and how do I fix it??

    submitted by /u/lovin193
    [link] [comments]

    Completely gutting and remodeling a bathroom - where to start?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is a dumb question. We are gutting and remodeling a bathroom that is roughly square in shape and measures about 8 ft x 8 ft. We know, roughly, what will go where and need to pick out a sink, vanity, and toilet, design the walk-in shower to be constructed and select the showerhead, etc., decide on lighting, choose flooring materials and a mirror, and decide on paint colors. So basically, everything. What is the best way to start this rather daunting process? Is there a free website where you can create a rendering? Thanks for any insight.

    submitted by /u/LPHutz
    [link] [comments]

    Fire Prevention Week

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 09:44 AM PDT

    It is currently Fire Prevention Week in the US and Canada. As such, it's a good time for a few reminders, based on a few posts I've seen today.

    1. Check all your smoke alarms. If battery operated with accessible batteries, change the batteries whether they need it or not. Check the dates: smoke alarms are only good for 10 years. If they need replaced, they're on sale everywhere right now. Also a good time to pick up CO meters with explosive gas sensors.

    2. Inspect your fire extinguishers. Check the pressure gauge to ensure they're still holding. Do a visual inspection to check for rust or signs of deterioration. If they're no good, replace. Write the inspection date in permanent marker on the extinguishers. You should have one on each level of the home, with an extra in the kitchen and in the laundry. The one in the kitchen should be rated B for flammable liquids. If you have a garage, there should also be at least one there with a B rating (the garage is where I keep my largest one, as the garage is also where most of my flammables live). It's also a good idea to keep automotive extinguishers in any vehicles. If you don't have any, get some - they're on sale right now.

    3. Review your fire escape plan. If there is a house fire, what will you do? Do you have a plan to get you and your family safely out of the house? If a path is blocked, are there alternate routes of egress? Where will you meet once you're all outside?

    4. Clean your dryer. There are 3,000 dryer fires in the US every year that cause $3.5 million in loss, several deaths, and numerous injuries - the vast majority of which are due to failure to clean the dryer. I am frequently surprised by the number of people who are unaware that dryers have a lint trap that needs cleaned after every load (all dryers have them - find it, clean it after every load). Additionally, dryers require a periodic thorough cleaning: pull it out, disconnect the exhaust duct, and snake a vacuum hose into the dryer to clean it out. Additionally, inspect your ductwork: should be solid 4" metal ductwork, no screws, no longer than 35', each 45° turn counts as 5'. The termination outside should not be screened - it should be a louvered cap; screens are prohibited by M1501 because they clog with lint. The ductwork itself should also be cleaned out. This can be done either with a Shop Vac or a small electric leaf blower.

    5. A small one, but an important one: that bin of extension cords? You know the one. Go through it. Toss any of the cords that are taped up, frayed, or scorched. Seriously - they're cheap. Don't keep junky, old, unsafe cords.

    If anyone else has anything else to add, go for it!

    submitted by /u/chrisbrl88
    [link] [comments]

    Purple discoloring on vinyl floor help

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:30 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/DFnrDeq

    Does anyone know what could cause this purple discoloration on the vinyl floor? There are no signs of moisture or mold. I have this in two different areas on the floor, one area was covered by a garbage can & the other area was covered by a stool. It appears to be on top of the vinyl. I've tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, vinegar, a magic eraser, and dish soap with no luck. I just can't figure out why there's this coloring and how to get rid of it. There have been no chemicals in the bathroom, no hair dyes, no permanent markers…

    submitted by /u/fightms
    [link] [comments]

    Should I paint unfinished (no drywall) garage walls?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    My garage is completely unfinished and pretty dingy. I am about to start organizing the entire thing and want to make it look at least a little more spruced up but don't plan on finishing the floors or walls. I am thinking of just painting the wood beams and boards white. There is also some plywood seismic retrofitting that I would paint also. Is there any reason that painting any of this would be a bad idea?

    If I do paint I assume using a sprayer will be the best option. Any other tips for painting in this scenario?

    Pics of the walls:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/bMbbtwL

    submitted by /u/Elliswr
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Messed up bathroom caulking...

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    I was re-caulking all around the bathtub/shower with silicone and, based on advice from the internet, used painter's tape to keep things neat. Most of it went well, but I waited too long to remove all the tape and when I pulled the tape off my last corner some of the caulk ripped off with it.

    https://imgur.com/a/ts8bKMH

    As you can see in the photo, most of the caulk looks great but part of one seam is ripped up and partially dried.

    Is there any way to salvage this? I'd rather not rip out all the fresh caulk and redo the whole thing, especially because the rest of the caulking went great. It's just one part that messed up.

    submitted by /u/probablynotunique
    [link] [comments]

    New construction home. Has anyone ever worked with a ceiling fan box like this?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 05:56 PM PDT

    I have tried mounting the bracket to the screw holes that are visible and they are to close together. Am I missing something? Did they install the wrong box?

    https://imgur.com/a/ud58Qck

    Here's what the box looks like

    submitted by /u/Kodak34x
    [link] [comments]

    how do I remove this drain grill

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:40 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/pVrbWWy

    Silly question, but how do I get that grill up? Just pry it? I want to scrub in there, as it's getting build up and draining slowly. thanks!

    submitted by /u/edielakelady
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the difference between a $2k Fridge and a $12k Fridge?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    Like even with out any fancy things I see $12k Miele fridges and wonder why? I'm in auto engineering so I know country of manufacture costs a lot but it you can't even tweet from that fridge /s

    submitted by /u/Caeser
    [link] [comments]

    Potential Home Cracks: Should I run?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    My bid on a new home was accepted, but I'm pretty worried about the cracks in the ground outside. I'm still planning to hire a professional, but wanted any outside input or expertise if this is a turn and run situation! Any input greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    https://imgur.com/a/55JP4nR

    For some details, this is in Tustin, CA. Assuming this is a slab concrete foundation. Happy to provide whatever details I can.

    submitted by /u/trevortypes
    [link] [comments]

    My mom's condo has a "central" exhaust or fan motor that has seized and stopped working.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    Preface: Condo is 35+ years old Location is Toronto, Canada

    The motor plugs into a "housing". (Don't have pictures of that)

    The motor spins and pulls air from the kitchen and washroom then exhausts out to the balcony.

    From my knowledge this looks like it could be the original one for the unit.

    I don't know where to begin or how to start looking to replace this.

    Her condo management is really bad. When I asked where I can find and buy it the building manager replied "That's its your responsibility as the owner to find it and replace it. Not my priority or responsibility to find this."

    I tried googling condo exhaust motors but I'm really confused where to buy or what to buy. I know I have to get similar rated HP, phase and voltage though.

    Thanks to for reading =).

    Motor pictures

    submitted by /u/maximusfapinus
    [link] [comments]

    LifeProof Carpet Cushion for Concrete in Basement?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    Getting ready to finish the basement bedroom and I came across this carpet cushion (padding) on Home Depot's site that I haven't seen before and cannot find much info on. Thinking it might be pretty new.

    Seems like it would be perfect for my application. I don't want to build up a subfloor, my ceilings are already just under 8 feet slab to trussing.

    The basement slab is dry and has always been dry, but it's a basement so there is always water potential. I like the fact this padding is waterproof and has the textured bottom for airflow. Seems like over kill for price, but I'm really leaning toward it. Is there something similar not as pricey? Or does anyone have any experience with this product specifically to provide a review?

    submitted by /u/NidificeOG
    [link] [comments]

    How do I locate/identify an external, low-frequency noise pollution? Suggestions wanted.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    I live in a house at the end of the neighborhood, with several non-residential buildings within 1-2 blocks.

    The issue is that there is a low-frequency sound that is audible for about half of any given day, when background/incidental noise dies down. It is a persistent humming, droning, a lot like a big diesel truck is idling on the next block over. Most noticeable when all windows are shut. I am 100% convinced that my home is not the source. For a while I kept a journal of times I noticed its presence/absence. There is no pattern i could identify. The noise has been lurking for at least 3 years. In my area we just got out of the A/C almost-always-on season, and now that there is no sound to mask this noise, I am noticing it acutely for the 4th winter I've lived here.

    It could be HVAC of the (church, gas station, library, commercial buildings, multi-unit condos, etc etc etc) near my home. Could be a train yard that is 3-4 miles away. Could be a hundred things. I would believe a lot of theories, there are simply too many plausibilities to be making hypotheses, and so that brings us to my question:

    I want to hire the Thomas Magnum, PI of noise pollution. I want Magnum to identify the source of this noise.

    I will decide what to do with that information after I figure out how to obtain it. That thread is for later.

    But for now, I need some ideas on: What kind of audio-savvy professional should I be seeking out in my metropolitan area of 2-3 million people, in the United States?

    submitted by /u/tinyLEDs
    [link] [comments]

    Outlets have electricity running to them but are not working

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 03:43 PM PDT

    I have a total of three outlets in the house that are non-functional. They will not power anything plugged into them, however, when we use our voltage tester on them the outlets are reading they have electricity running to them. I'm not positive how one would fix this. Another issue only one of the outlets has is it's almost like it's too big to hold a plug. Anything plugged into it just falls out. Any advice on this would be fantastic. I really don't want to call an electrician because they're bananas expensive, but will if it's not a simple solution or dangerous.

    submitted by /u/567646
    [link] [comments]

    Blackout curtains for skylights?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    moving into a new apartment with skylights in the bedroom. we have a 3-month old that needs darkness so skylights are not terribly ideal.

    we're thinking blackout curtains could work but i've never found any that aren't for traditional windows. does such a product exist? i've found blackout curtains that have suction cups but typically the suction is only on one end meaning it won't adhere to a skylight properly.

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/Heavy_Cheddar
    [link] [comments]

    Beeping noise (pretty sure not a smoke detector) in the house

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    Hey all!

    A few nights ago, around 3 a.m., we heard a single beep, then nothing else. It sounded like a smoke detector, but it didn't continue to beep. The next night was uneventful (no beeping).

    Tonight, we heard whatever it was beep again, this time twice and about two hours apart. I've checked all the smoke detectors. It sounds like its coming from the kitchen/living room area.

    I plan on replacing all the smoke detectors tomorrow, just in case that's the issue (and they're 14+ years old).

    Any idea what this could be?

    submitted by /u/JcpuddlesF3
    [link] [comments]

    At my wits end

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm hoping someone reading this can help.

    Since March of this year there has been a loud, very deep hum in our house.

    We have shut the power off to the house and gone through it with a stethoscope (it wasn't a very good one mind you).

    We have had a plumber in to check the water pressure. We have had the furnace people in and Toronto hydro out to check the power lines.

    The city will not come out to investigate the noise unless we can tell them where it's coming from.

    We do not know what to do. The hum causes the house to vibrate slightly, we think. The vibration could just be because we have been living with it for so long if that makes sense. It is disrupting our sleep and I miss having the option of a quiet house.

    We are in a semi and early into out investigation we asked our attached neighbour's to shut their power off so we could determine if it was us or them. (They said they did but we had to ask them multiple times so I have my doubts).

    The him can be heard from the front and back porch but that's as far as you can hear it when outside.

    Does anyone know who we can call to help us with this? Does anyone have a similar experience?

    Thanks in advance. 😔

    submitted by /u/Zillariffick
    [link] [comments]

    Typical Shower Installation?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    Hello, I recently purchased a home and the more I look at the master shower the more confused I get about its installation, and I wanted to make sure that it was installed at least somewhat competently. I believe it is this neo-angle shower surround, with an acrylic pan.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/STERLING-Intrigue-27-9-16-in-x-72-in-Framed-Neo-Angle-Shower-Door-in-Silver-with-Handle-SP2275A-38S/202952390

    The shower wall is tile, but it almost seems like they threw tile onto existing drywall or something. There are some gaps at the edges where the tile ends, and I can see behind the tile maybe 1/8". Also the pan seems to be recessed past the tile wall, as if they installed the pan first and then the tile on top, is that normal? The shower doesn't seem to have any major leaks, as I have access below the shower, but it definitely needs some new caulk and some grout touch up. Photos show some of the connection points.

    https://imgur.com/mv5nY5v

    https://imgur.com/GCrJcVp

    https://imgur.com/8Z8Ha2S

    submitted by /u/galacticphotos
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to turn a detached garage into a home gym. In Texas.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    Hey y'all, I'm looking to turn a detached garage into a home gym.
    I live in central Texas, zone 2.
    I'm hoping to keep this as inexpensive as possible, I'm working on a pretty tight budget.
    Most of the posts I've seen have to do with keeping it warm in the winter. That isn't a problem down here so I'm trying to find the best options to keep it as cool as possible.

    Pictures of the garage

    So far from what I've been reading it seems like insulation is the cheapest/easiest way.
    I'll being doing the installation myself so was looking into faced batts, would I also need to do sheetrock/OSB on the walls?
    Should I do the ceiling or fill the support beams?

    Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/duckgrayson
    [link] [comments]

    Wood: Can I paint on top of Clear Waterproofing Sealant?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    I have some wood on a small dog house (for outside) that I just constructed from spare pieces I had laying around. I recently treated the wood with Olympic Maximum Clear Waterproofing Sealant, but now I think I'd like to paint the wood instead (just for appearance). The sealant can's label doesn't talk about paint. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/quiethandle
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom water vapor removal

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm looking for ideas and wondering if anyone had any experience on this matter. In our home (purchased 2 years ago) none of the bathrooms have exhaust fans, instead the house has a multi room air to air exchange system. Push a button and this machine swaps the air out.

    The problem is when we shower, there's noticeable droplets on the walls. Doesn't matter if we do warm or hot water, shower quickly, keep the door open or shut.

    I'm open to installing an exhaust fan but unsure of how feasible it is, since both showers are on the second level, and how I would vent them out without cutting through the steel siding.

    If anyone has experience with these air to air exchange machines or tips about their use that would be great.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/volstock2098
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment