• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 7, 2020

    Home security: Apartment home security recommendations, not a fan of IoT or other items with vulnerabilities

    Home security: Apartment home security recommendations, not a fan of IoT or other items with vulnerabilities


    Apartment home security recommendations, not a fan of IoT or other items with vulnerabilities

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    In a 1 bedroom apartment, looking to add some layers of defense to the external side of things. Some kind of small scale alarm systems preferably non-monthly cost. Also looking for potential camera solution.

    I don't like IoT devices generally or these newer startup type of products like Simplisafe as they normally have vulnerabilities. Or with things like Ring or Nest or whatever it seems like there is a data breach all the time or some new vulnerability.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlNkQJzw4oA&list=UUm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ&index=9

    I also don't want something recording me where I could wearing no clothes that is saved to the public cloud.

    I can't run wires through walls or attic so something wireless is better but then power becomes an issue. Anyways, my main struggle is security without compromise on privacy.

    submitted by /u/relegatedreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Monitoring Cameras and Entry Sensor Suggestions?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    I moved into an apartment recently and got Simplisafe for a good discount. I wanted to cancel my free monitoring trial so I wouldn't forget to later, I didn't feel the need for it. Without paying for monitoring, I can't arm, disarm, get notified if my entry sensors were triggered or even look at my cameras with a live feed through the app, pretty much rendering it useless. I was under the impression that you didn't need a subscription to do basic things like that, it was optional for police dispatch. Needless to say I am in the process of returning it. I would just like a camera and door and window entry sensors. Are there any solutions where you can self-monitor with a phone app where you can do the things mentioned above with absolutely no subscription of any kind?

    submitted by /u/-alanthegreat-
    [link] [comments]

    I have $300 and I want outdoor security cameras, what should I buy?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    I would like to get at least 2 cameras. Preferably with hard drive storage. I would like them to be wireless and work on wifi and I'd like to be able to see them from my phone. So far the best option I've come up with is this kit from Amazon listed below. Are there any other options out there? I know I won't get anything stellar at this price point. But there is a lot of crime where I live and I just need something.

    https://www.amazon.com/Expandable-Wireless-Security-Hiseeu-Surveillance/dp/B07719HQQS

    submitted by /u/NikolaTesla3699
    [link] [comments]

    Question about ADT Safewatch® QuickConnect

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    My sister had some construction in her house and while doing the work they unplugged her ADT system from the power outlet. It was hanging for a while but the weight of the transformer eventually caused the cables to become loose and come out. Now there are 2 cables a red and a black one. The transformer has 3 screw locations, AC, GND, AC. Wondering if anyone else has this system and how their colors are connected to each location. She called ADT and they want to charge an arm and a leg for a home visit.

    submitted by /u/MetroTechP
    [link] [comments]

    This ADT system was already built into the townhouse we moved into... Can I snip the wires?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/DzgT3Ml.jpg

    Looks to be a Vista 10p

    https://i.imgur.com/JZMTA1F.jpg

    I obviously don't use this ancient system... Debating on razer cutting the wires and trashing it.

    I just want to make sure it isn't connected to the fire detector system.

    submitted by /u/SupaZT
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a Simplisafe...how do I disconnect old ADT system?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    I've just bought an old house that had an ancient DSC keypad and alarm system. Transformer is nowhere to be found but disconnected from the circuit and I've removed the leads from the back-up battery. I've read several posts that say I can just put the wires back in the wall but they are too long to fit back in the wall and when I put an electricity tester over them they still beep as if they're hot. If I turn off power to the house, can I just cut the wires? Will they be a danger if they are live and back in the wall once I turn the power on? The electrician I called said they don't work on alarms.

    submitted by /u/ETTATX
    [link] [comments]

    Reviews online are so mixed. Anyone have a great option on a SAFE, that is fireproof and very secure?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    My neighbors home was just invaded so it really had caused me to reevaluate how secure my home is. I'll post a separate thread another time about "hardening" my home. But for now, I would like a small to medium sized safe to put things in, like car titles and birth certificates and such.

    I do not currently have a handgun because NY state has a long wait time for a permit. I might store some type of pepper spray or something at least in there, to keep away from dogs (idk)? At this time, I really am just thinking to stash a small amount of cash and those things. Waterproof/fireproof would be awesome. Then I can figure out how to best mount one to the floor and even maybe conceal it somehow??? My neighbor owned a business where people pay cash, and they made off with about $5k. I fear they'll keep hitting houses around here.

    Any advice on solid ones that can't be opened super easily would be fantastic. Thank you all. Please be vigilant and stay safe!

    submitted by /u/PM_UR__BUBBLE_BUTTS
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for camera system

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:50 AM PDT

    Recent events have lead me to believe that I need a camera system. I am looking to build/buy a security camera system for a large house. These cameras will be monitoring a long circle driveway, multiple entrance doors, and possibly an area or 2 inside the home. The smaller the form factor the better but larger options are acceptable. Price isn't a large factor but price should be reasonable.

    My requirements:
    5-6 cameras
    Linked to a single system
    Viewable remotely from android app and web
    Motion detection alerts sent to android phones
    Recording motion either to a local system that can be backed up or to my off-site server
    Night vision (preferably using IR as apposed to actual lights)
    Battery Powered (Ideally with the ability to be plugged into an outlet not always on and recharge when power is available)

    submitted by /u/JacobOkanta
    [link] [comments]

    Person detection for existing Amcrest camera fleet: recommendations?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit. My parents are building a new home, and one of the projects I'd taken on with my dad was all the home automation/security stuff. We ran CAT6 to all the security camera locations (14 of them!) and I'd wanted to originally use Unifi Protect cameras, but at the last minute my dad gave me the requirement that the cameras had to be black to be closer to the house's trim color and blend in more.

    I ended up going with Amcrest 4K POE Cameras. So far, it seems like they're great standards cameras (like you can integrate them with most NVR software/hardware) and the video quality is fantastic, but the Amcrest mobile apps seem to be complete garbage and we aren't happy with them. Specifically my dad is super unhappy with how many false positives Amcrest's motion detection pick up. The house is out in the woods and he'd like fairly reliable motion detection for potential intruders on the perimeter of the home.

    Is there a good NVR or software that has some sort of AI-based person detection that I can use with Amcrest's ONVIF-compatible cameras? I see some solutions from companies like Swann and Lorex but they always seem to require "smart cameras", they can't make existing dumb cameras smart. If the solution allowed scrubbing through video in real time, like Unifi Protect and Nest do, that'd be a huge bonus.

    submitted by /u/leimeisei909
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment