• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 3, 2020

    Home security: DSC: Stay-only zone?

    Home security: DSC: Stay-only zone?


    DSC: Stay-only zone?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    I just ordered a PC1832 and keen to get started. I've been reading the installation manual, specifically the zone definitions (pg 30) and I'm not sure I can do what I'm hoping to do.

    I'd like to have a zone that's armed only when the system is in 'Stay'. I know that's somewhat backwards to their paradigm of having some zones (eg. motion) apply only when you're 'Away'. My scenario however is, when I'm asleep, I'd definitely like to be awoken if my garage opens. However, I'd like an easy to use (ie. not involving bypasses) arming mode where the garage can still freely be opened by us (eg. to deposit bikes, etc. when we arrive home) without concern about the alarm system, and by neighbours who may be tending to the garden when we're vacationing.

    In short: "Stay" would arm the whole kit (I don't plan to have any motion stuff). "Away" would arm everything but the garage.

    Is this doable? Thank you all.

    submitted by /u/bwwatr
    [link] [comments]

    DSC PC5020 Upgrade...need a gut check

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    I am dropping my ATT telephone service (Fiber) and switching to Callcentric (VOIP provider). We have direct monitoring to our local police department over the telephone line (3 min response time). At a minimum, I need to replace the communication link. That got me thinking it might be time to update our alarm system to allow for smartphone access. That opened a pandora's box and a $1600 quote from a local alarm service company. Money I would prefer not spending.

    So, I thought I would explore doing this upgrade myself but wanted to bounce the idea off of the wizards of r/homesecurity for input and a gut check.

    Existing System - DSC Power864 (circa 2004)

    PC5020 - Panel

    PC5108 x 3 – Zone Expanders

    SLA1055 Power Patrol – 12v 5Ah Battery

    PTC1640U – Plug in wall transformer

    LCD5501Z - Keypads x 3

    32 Available Zones but 29 Zones in use (includes FIRE)

    All Zones are hardwired back to the cabinet.

    Proposed Changes

    - Replace PC5020 panel with PC1832

    - Keep existing 8-Zone expanders, keypads, battery and transformer

    - Install new dual-path SEM unit: ADC-SEM210-PS-AT

    - Establish both LTE and backup IP communication path

    Goals

    - Restore communication link with monitoring service (local police department) with a cellular and/or IP communicator

    - Have Alarm.com type app services on my phones/desktop. Our monitoring service supports Alarm.com, I have not asked about other vendors.

    - Find a solution that requires parts I can easily source, with installation and programming instructions that I can follow.

    Questions

    1.) Is the PC1832 a good choice to replace the existing PC5020, given I have 29 zones and three-zone expanders. I ask because the quote I got from the alarm company specified the PC1616.

    2.) Existing PC5108. I plan to leave these zone expanders wired in place and attach the 4-wire coming from the last expander to the new panel. Any problems with this?

    3.) Wiring the new panel. The wiring diagram of the PC1832 is almost identical to the existing PC5020. Is it as simple as moving the wires to the same locations on the new panel? I assume yes, but wonder if I am missing something.

    4.) Connecting the SEM210 to the panel. Is it as simple as running the SEM BLK/YEL/GRN to the same connectors on the panel (Keybus), and the SEM RED to the battery?

    5.) Upgrade Keypads? I see that the PC1832 is backward compatible with all PowerSeries keypads. Is there a compelling reason to upgrade my existing LCD5501Z keypads (other than aesthetics)? Is there functionality only available on a keypad that I can't access on the Alarm.com app?

    6.) Is the current zone configuration stored in the keypads or on the panel? If I keep my existing keypads but replace the panel, will I have to program all my settings/zones again? Is there any other way I can lose existing programmed information?

    7.) Dual-Path. Is it worth it? Or should I just activate cellular communication?

    8.) Favorite vendors for components? Any that provide better support for DIY?

    9.) What are the important but perhaps not obvious things I should do or consider before I start disconnecting wires?

    submitted by /u/Keystone0605
    [link] [comments]

    Have Nest Cameras and Nest Minis and Hubs, Nest for security or SimpliSafe?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I need to install a home security system in my house. I'm already invested in Google's ecosystem, and want to know if I should expand that investment by using a monitored Nest security system, or instead opt for the cheaper SimpliSafe. Will there be any real benefit to having all Google for everything or will a hybrid system work fine? What would I miss out on?

    Here is what I have right now that's Google Nest:

    • 3 x Nest Home Hub
    • 3 x Nest Home Mini
    • 3 x Nest Camera Indoors
    • 2 x Nest Camera IQ Indoor

    I'll need at least the following:

    • Glass break sensors (probably at least 2 or 3)
    • Door sensors (4)
    • Window sensors (there's 20+ windows on the first floor and basement, don't know if I need one one on every)
    • Motion sensors
    • Fire alarms
    • Central monitoring service that calls police/fire department automatically
    • Smart lock

    We may want the following, but they're not necessary

    • Outdoor cameras (2)
    • Video doorbell

    The house we're trying to protect is 6000+ sqft and we have small children. We don't have any pets. Not sure if it's relevant, but will be looking for a smart thermostat in the future as well.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mrmeowskers
    [link] [comments]

    Did somebody try to break into my flat?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 03:38 AM PDT

    Did somebody try to break into my flat?

    Hello everybody, I'm sorry if a question like that doesn't belong here but I thought I can find some knowledgeable people here. When I came home today I noticed a strange resistance putting my key into the lock in my flats door at the end of the lock but everything worked normal. After getting in I tried to lock the door from the inside but the key was very hard to get in the lock at first. After a few try's I got it in but it won't turn whatsoever. I tried again from the outside and from there, everything works fine. My question is now, did I just have a bad day am my lock broke or ist there a possibility somebody tried to lockpick it and brake into my flat? I don't know much about that stuff and am a little worried. Thanks in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/Fir3str1ker
    [link] [comments]

    Need a panic button pendant for the Honeywell Lynx 7000

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:59 AM PDT

    I set up a Lynx 7000 panel for my elderly mother years ago and she carries two remotes with her, the four button to arm / disarm / panic, and a one button medical pendant for medical assistance. Her pendant isn't working, not sure what the make / model is or what battery it takes. I don't have a way to get a picture or part# off of it, but I remember it being dark grey and rectangular with a square black button in the middle. Anyone know what that pendant was, or of any single button pendant would be? I've been searching for everything online and can't find a single thing online but the 4 button.

    submitted by /u/keitheii
    [link] [comments]

    Eufy Cam Cloud Storage

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    Multiple videos and articles talking about the cloud subscription service but I can't find it on their site. Anyone who owns a Eufy cam pay for it's cloud service?

    submitted by /u/KazumiSchlierenzauer
    [link] [comments]

    Firewood and broken bottles tossed over the fence. Need remote monitoring day/night

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 05:31 AM PDT

    My mom has some difficult neighbors and there is a high homeless population but it's escalated recently. On two occasions, she's come home to find broken bottles and burned firewood tossed over her fence onto the pavers by her house. She has talked to the neighbors and they say they don't know who is doing it.

    I want to get her a good system for outside - need good video day and night and the cameras will need to see past the fence (not sure if there is any issue there?). Also need remote monitoring. I'm not sure that just motion sensing will work by the time things land in the yard.

    Ease of use is good but not critical as I can help her set up and monitor. Thanks for all suggestions, especially if I'm missing something!

    submitted by /u/wisemolv
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment