• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 2, 2020

    Home Improvement: Plumber I hired just failed the city inspection. Says he will need to charge me extra for the redo. Doesn't sound right to me...

    Home Improvement: Plumber I hired just failed the city inspection. Says he will need to charge me extra for the redo. Doesn't sound right to me...


    Plumber I hired just failed the city inspection. Says he will need to charge me extra for the redo. Doesn't sound right to me...

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    Should have done it right the first time.... right?

    submitted by /u/Rupispupis
    [link] [comments]

    Finally done with my modest bathroom remodel

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/FuGFdqG

    Tore the shower up months ago because of a spot of mold, planning to replace just the shower and it just snowballed from there. Made a ton of mistakes along the way, but learned a lot. Big thanks to my friend Jeremy who talked me off the ledge a few times. "Don't call a plumber, we'll just fix it."

    Very appreciative of the users of /r/homeimprovement for answering my hundreds of questions over the past few months.

    submitted by /u/snorch
    [link] [comments]

    Also posted on roofing, the roofer is finished with my roof, does this look appropriate

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    I am linking an imgur gallery. I am located in the upper Midwest. These are Certainteed shingles. I am concerned about the appearance of my roof. I don't think the shingle alignment of the shingles in the valley is right, I wonder if the zinc strips are appropriately installed. I wonder if the thing on top of the eaves is complete.

    I have an imgur gallery here :

    https://imgur.com/a/SmvNWlQ

    I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

    submitted by /u/fiveorangepips
    [link] [comments]

    Built a shed without a permit

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 03:49 PM PDT

    So as the title says I built a shed without a permit, specifically a building permit. I had the zoning permit from the city as I knew I needed that. The zoning limit was under 250 square feet. So with that I got the approval and built a 240 square foot shed.

    Later in the project when I am approaching running electrical I reach out to find out how to do that and I am directed to the county. I see on their site that anything over 200 square feet requires a building permit. I call the office and confirm and tell them it is already built so hopefully no issues. They explained it shouldn't be a problem but to apply for the full permit before continuing.

    The building permit was approved, only note was to add an anchoring system. However there are some inspections required one of which is foundation. With the shed already built, it's not like they can inspect the foundation. I am going to call tomorrow to schedule the inspection and let them know again that it's already built. I haven't finished it, but structure is up, roof is singled, siding is on, windows are in. I'm terrified of money wasted and/or a lot of work that is for nothing. I took lots of pictures but none specifically show depth of each footing. My plans said I went 12 inches and some were definitely 12 inches, some probably a little short of that in order to maintain level.

    Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? Had I known city zoning and county building square footage was different I wouldn't be in this predicament. Hopefully I am worried about nothing. Next time I will definitely consult both the city and the county.

    submitted by /u/sherwood83
    [link] [comments]

    Help, my contractor is having a general contractor do the plumbing job for a new bathroom

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    We want to do new half bathroom on the second floor (no plumbing exist there currently now). I told all my contractors that came for the quote that we want to do with all permits and codes. The contractors that we picked said they will do with permits and codes. They got plumbing permit pulled by a plumber that I don't know. My contractor gave the job to another general contractor. He is doing the plumbing and piping himself. He is not a plumber but he says he has experience. My wife is pregnant and she is pushing me to get the bathroom done quickly. I am worried that they might mess it up and plumbing is a huge thing. I know the city will inspect the work but I am still worried they might not catch the mistake. Please advise me what should I do. FYI, I already paid him half of the money before the job per our agreement.

    submitted by /u/winter32842
    [link] [comments]

    Can you use a zinc screw on a dryer Terminal Board? Does the type of metal matter?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 05:57 PM PDT

    I lost one of the terminal wire screws and can't find anywhere what type of metal the screws are. Does it even matter? I don't want to start a fire or something

    submitted by /u/WheresMyLeftBall
    [link] [comments]

    Need help removing stuck garden hose end

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    Hello, I need help removing a stuck garden hose end.
    There was a leak in my hose so I went to remove it and all of sudden the female end sort of snapped and broke off. I tried WD40 but did not work, saw some YouTube videos about hacksaw and hot water... wanted to know if those were the best methods to remove this.

    https://imgur.com/a/dXia8VJ

    Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/hanmike333
    [link] [comments]

    Our central a/c smells like septic.

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    We have a two story house and a central air conditioning on each floor. When the upstairs ac is turned on, the house fills with the scent of ... shit. Literally septic. It doesn't smell like a dead animal or something died in the vents. I have no idea why this would be the case, and I do think the scent is only present when the ac is on. You cannot smell anything downstairs or when the downstairs ac is on. What gives?

    submitted by /u/beachbabe237
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on popcorn ceiling quote

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    Hi, this is my first Reddit post ever! I wondered if you've had popcorn ceiling removed before. I was given a quote by a contractor, and I wondered if it's overpriced.

    My unit is 1200 sq ft in Chicago. There is popcorn ceiling even in the bathrooms and closets and laundry area and kitchen. My unit is a 2 bed/2 bath.

    The quote is for $5580 to scrape off the popcorn ceiling; apply plaster, sand, prime, and paint; replace the plastic wire coverings; touch up walls and wood trims; and clean the area. This also includes materials and labor. The contractor stated that it could take 2 weeks.

    Any advice right away would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Princewonder75
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a sliding door

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    Long and short is I had someone install a sliding door and they didn't finish the job so I'm left with this and they are MIA. How would I go finishing this job. The door is in and it is level. There's an 1 and half inch hole on the viewers left side. I have 2.25 inch door molding

    Do I just fill in the gap with spray foam and mount the molding over it?

    https://imgur.com/a/CYUeH57

    submitted by /u/MessnerMusic1989
    [link] [comments]

    Plastic resin shed foundation build

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 06:59 PM PDT

    A friend of mine bought one of these. Per the manual, it says to basically build a 8x10 platform out of 2x6s and place the shed on top of it.

    I am thinking of just using floating deck blocks and not sinking anything into the ground. Any thoughts on this? The shed is going to hold storage such as clothes and other random indoor stuff, no lawn mowers or anything like that.

    Its technically located in a mobile home park so he doesn't really want anything permanent. Would something like this work? My main concern is it blowing away to be honest. Are there ways to sink some kind of stake into the ground to hold those blocks in place? Located in Southwest PA

    submitted by /u/WeberKettleGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Improving a homemade “cat door”

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    We recently purchased a home in which the seller had (sawed? cut?) a cat-sized hole in the laundry room closet door, so that her cat could go in there to use the LB and the dog couldn't dig around in it. This itself is OK with us as we have the same problem and would love to use it for the same purpose. However, the edges of this circular hole appear seriously torn and shredded and in need of a makeover - both for aesthetics and long-term sustainability of the hole. We cannot make the hole bigger, or the dog will fit through. We are envisioning how we could insert something soft and rubbery to surround the edges of the hole that would cover the shredded areas. Does anyone have any ideas of what we could buy or create to make this look nicer? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/buffytuxedocat
    [link] [comments]

    Can some one suggest what to do what to do with this space?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 08:51 PM PDT

    Looking for ideas on how to best use this space. Can you recommend any ideas on how to best use the space between the sink in the washer. Because of the hook ups, the dryer has to sit where it is, and I don't especially like the space in between. Any ideas and advice would be appreciated, thank you

    my sad laundry room

    submitted by /u/d_ladyparts
    [link] [comments]

    Gas Line Estimate

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    I would like to buy my sister a new stove ~ we have a horrible electric coil that barely works. She wants a gas stove badly ~ we both do. We have a gas dryer, I just don't know if there is a gas line already in the kitchen or if it has to be added, and she doesn't know either. I'm trying to estimate the cost difference.

    If it's already there and just has to be turned on roughly how much should I expect? If it has to be installed from the laundry room approximately 25 feet away (and not just a straight line but not kinda diagonal if you're going through the walls) how much should I expect? The layout kinda goes like this ~

    laundry

     mud room step up kitchen 

    I tried to call for a quote, they told me to call the power company first to see if they insisted on doing it or maybe did it free or cheaper but I'm not on the account so I haven't tried to do that yet. I wanted to surprise her. I know the prices vary wildly and it makes it really hard to surprise a person and budget for it because I probably need two visits, one to inspect and get the quote and then the install.

    Thank you!

    Sorry. Forgot to mention I'm in Florida US.

    submitted by /u/hedafeda
    [link] [comments]

    Huge holes in baseboards and bathroom vanity [I will do anything, please help].

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 08:36 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/L3cKx4x

    I just moved in to my first apartment, and there are holes in the baseboards, bathroom vanity, outlets, pipe areas, just about everywhere. This wouldn't normally be an issue, but I am extremely scared of insects. We've had ants, beetles, pill bugs, and the landlord is very slowly trying to combat our cockroach issue. I legitimately can't sleep and had to temporarily stay in a hotel for part of last week. I understand insects aren't a huge issue, but my relationship with them is at a point that I need therapy. I can't keep doing this and need to do whatever possible to fix these issues.

    How can I fill/seal these areas that are letting them in? I don't trust my landlord to follow up a maintenance request and I just need to get to a state where I can function in my apartment. Wood from the floor is also rotting as a result of the issues. Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TimeJustHappens
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Spice Cabinet

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    I'm building a spice cabinet to hang on the back of our pantry door. The sides and the shelves are both half inch pine. I bought wood glue to connect the shelves to the side pieces of wood but I know it will need additional support. Would a #6 wood screw 1 inch long be best or should I look at doing nails? I don't have a nail gun or kreg jig.

    submitted by /u/jj246875
    [link] [comments]

    Found a pipe under my driveway while digging out a window well. Can I blast through it?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/xX5kkMr

    I found this abandoned pipe while digging out a new window well. There is nothing in it, other than dirt. Any reason why I can't blast through it?

    submitted by /u/BradHamilton001
    [link] [comments]

    Doing the dry walling myself but hiring someone to finish with tape/mud

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 12:16 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I've got a handful of sections of wall which are open for renovations and I'm wanting to save money on closing them up. Would it be reasonable to drywall these sections myself and then have a pro to come in for tape/mud finishing work before priming/painting?

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/anonWilder
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to insulate attic "office" room.

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/qM4GsTK

    With WFH having no end in sight, I have been spending a lot more time in my office up on the 3rd floor. It is vented for HVAC, but it hovers around the low-mid 80s on days that it's 90+ (probably 120 in the rest of the attic). It's perfectly comfortable in the winter.

    What's going to be the best/cheapest way to insulate this room? I am thinking pink foam board, but what R value should I be shooting for?

    submitted by /u/nithos
    [link] [comments]

    Help, weird bubbling substance under paint

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    can someone please help. I bought a house earlier this year that was built in 45. I painted the living room yellow and got settled. Then I noticed a patch on the wall that looked raised and rough. When I touched it, it was dry and kind of sand. I scraped it down and repainted the patch. Then it happened again. So I scraped it off and left the patch unpainted. But its come back again. Below is a picture. Any ideas or suggestions?

    http://imgur.com/gallery/idPWay7

    submitted by /u/xcellkat
    [link] [comments]

    Moved into a rental. Have this ugly counter. What should I do?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    I have no idea what's going on here. Is this paint or some kind of adhesive?? The landlord is useless wouldnt do shit I've been told I have a slumlord yay me.

    Anyway this is ugly af if anyone knows how I can change this to just plain old white without contact paper cuz bugs please let me know. If I have to scrape it off and repaint sure.

    Kitchen counter https://imgur.com/a/SKnF26w

    submitted by /u/handlemedown
    [link] [comments]

    Have a question about what I can do for entry door half circle window(above door)

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    Hopefully this is the right place for this question. So when I got home today, I went to the fridge to grab a drink and all the sudden I hear a loud crash. I go to investigate and see pieces of wood from the frame in the floor. I look up above my entry door that has a half circle window above it(split entry) and it appears it just fell off at random. The pieces shattered and idk how to fix it. Is there an upgrade I can do that won't fall down? The window looks weird without the frame up there. What type of adhesive would I use to make the wood stick to glass? Thanks for any help/insight

    submitted by /u/Cymphar
    [link] [comments]

    Am I hurting this dry wall and if not, how should I proceed?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:49 PM PDT

    Just bought an old house and working to update things inside it. One wall had this cork-board material, with mirrors that was very tacky. As I was removing the cork board and mirrors, I started eating into the dry wall. Am I doing this right, or making a big mistake? How should I proceed? Here's a pic of where I'm at right now: https://imgur.com/a/RHhpo1f Thanks in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/Atrus2k
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing windows over long period of time without permit in Florida

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    So I've been replacing old jalousie windows with new vinyl windows over the past few years in west central Florida. Huge improvement in energy efficiency, excellent sound reduction, as well as much more secure and solidly installed to code. Only a couple rear windows and side windows have been replaced so far. Now I plan on replacing the large front jalousie window with an impact horizontal slider that's an exact fit like the other windows, without changing size or structure.. Still have a couple more front windows and Florida room to do, plus front door, but the key thing is, over the next couple years.

    Concerned about getting a permit for this front window, since it will be easily visible from road. Con's to getting a permit are: (1). $125 permit, which would be fine if I did all windows at the same time, but not if I need to get a permit each time I replace a different $170 window. (2). Other windows I did might come up when the inspector comes out, and a permit would force an inspector to come out, which they might not have otherwise done.. (3). If I get tagged for replacing windows without a permit, either right after this front window or sometime later, it might be cheaper than getting 6 separate permits over time, if they write it up as a single permit for entire project?

    submitted by /u/robstv1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment