• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 3, 2020

    Home security: Do security gates on doors work?

    Home security: Do security gates on doors work?


    Do security gates on doors work?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    I've been looking at the Unique Home Designs Guardian from Home Depot. Basically, it is made of solid powder-coated steel with an internal aluminum mesh. The mesh, which is consisted of a solid aluminum plate with holes punched onto it and then welded onto the steel, and the steel bars, prevent reaching in and opening it. It also has reinforced hinges using 4-inch one-way screws. Should I buy it to further prevent easy entry via my front door?

    submitted by /u/Trench_Ratt
    [link] [comments]

    Electronic Deadbolt Recommendations. More in comments.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    HOA Property Security Camera Recommendation?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    Hey folks,

    I'm on our HOA board and have been tasked with looking into an outdoor security system to watch over our driveway area for an 8 unit townhome development. We live in a small development where car break-ins are common (Atlanta), so we're only looking to have a camera system that overlooks a one road driveway. Initially looking into the systems available today, there seems to be an abundance of vendors out there when compared to even just a few years ago. Any recommendations on where to even start comparing vendors?

    At a minimum I need:

    1. a durable outdoor camera
    2. record/playback capability
    3. night vision

    I wanted to avoid some of the plug-and-play systems (nest, google etc.) because my concern is that they could be easily compromised. Also they'd likely be placed far enough away from a router they wouldn't get signal. What do you suggest?

    submitted by /u/Schley_them_all
    [link] [comments]

    Am I silly to accept a computer from an admirer?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    edit - I'm deleting details since this is becoming an active post

    There's a man who has been trying to get my attention for a few years. He is not my type and I have never given him any reason to think he had a chance. I'm polite to him though and I listen to him when he vents. For context, he's a neighbor. He found out my computer broke and then a week later, he flags me down when I was checking the mail and says he has an extra computer that he just bought but he doesn't like it and gives it to me. I accepted it because I need a new machine (I'm on my chromebook now though) and I did a factory reset on it.

    I covered the webcam with a piece of tape, but it's not completely opaque tape. There is some visibility through it, its gold decorative tape. If I turn the camera on, shadowy shapes are visible but you can't see any firm lines so it works for me.

    I've been falling asleep to netflix with the laptop in my bed. And sometimes the screen flashes bright... it only happens when I'm in bed and it's happened three times now. I know the camera can't see me, but I don't know enough about computers to know if maybe it's being controlled remotely and it's trying to brighten the screen to get a better image?

    If this is the wrong sub to ask, lmk. Thanks for any help.

    EDIT: by factory reset, I mean that I went into system settings and formatted the computer, wiping everything (hopefully) and then did the Windows Fresh Start reset. The only thing that had concerned me was the screen flashing quickly. It probably is just overheating from my bed so I feel much better and don't think I need to bother the people at r/techsupport.

    second edit: I'm going to go into more detail here and let you all know that he tried to give the computer for about a week, and I said I was ok thanks anyway, then one day he flagged me down and asked me to wait there in the lobby, then he returned with the laptop and put it in my hands, it would have been impolite not to accept it at that point and I don't want to make anyone angry... Anne Boleyn used to refuse Henry VIII gifts in order to make him heated and emotional and I'm not trying to lose me head. The story we are playing is that he's just a nice, kind man who was helping me out from the goodness of his heart. That's the boundary. Remember this is my neighbor who knows where I live. The gift was forced on me, I intend to keep the peace, and boundaries, and remain safe in my home.

    submitted by /u/kaeladurden
    [link] [comments]

    Discord group

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    hello everyone my self and a few friend have made a discord group to help find people in your local area to help improve home defence if you would like to join pm me thanks ;)

    submitted by /u/mrfunberg1945
    [link] [comments]

    Do cheap security doors work?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:08 PM PDT

    Just purchased a home from a friend. He did me a solid and installed a security screen door at the entrance. Not trying to sound like an unappreciative dick, but he gave me the receipt to the door and it was the cheapest available security screen door at Lowe's.

    Its pretty new, like a week new.

    Does this work at all? Should I take this out and install more expensive ones? Or is the below one probably good enough?

    Here is what he got me? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-Gibraltar-Black-Steel-Single-Door-Security-Door-Common-36-in-x-81-in-Actual-39-in-x-81-75-in/50374750

    submitted by /u/GarageRich
    [link] [comments]

    Good 360 cameras under 250$?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:05 PM PDT

    Does anyone have any recommendations for new or used 360 panoramic IP cameras under 250? I need one that supports hardware dewarping as a separate stream.

    I was looking at a used Axis P3007. Does anyone know of any newer cameras for around the same price point?

    submitted by /u/drowningblue
    [link] [comments]

    Deadbolt Ratings

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    Excellent

    -Medeco Maxum (Probably the best deadbolt on the market)

    -Hercular Mul-T-Lock (Almost as good as the Medeco Maxum)

    Great

    -High-end versions of the Schlage B60

    -The Schlage Primus

    Good

    -The Kwikset 980

    -High-end Defiant locks

    -Most Yale loocks

    Bad

    -The Kwikset 780

    -Most Defiant locks

    Belongs in a landfill

    Kwikset 660

    ANSI grades

    Grade 1, which is the type you want.

    Grade 2, which is also acceptable.

    Grade 3, which is ANSI for 'dumpster content'.

    submitted by /u/Trench_Ratt
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know if this is a home security system?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    Is there any way to reduce the amount my door opens with a chain lock?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 01:04 PM PDT

    I mean any way without removing or moving the chain lock. I want it to open about 1/3 of what it opens now with the chain lock engaged

    submitted by /u/millera85
    [link] [comments]

    looking to change my security system

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    So have been thinking about re-doing my security system as DIY. What DIY systems works with wiring that is already existing? I know SimpliSafe doesn't but what does outside of Konnect.io?

    submitted by /u/DJKermie
    [link] [comments]

    How reliable are the GPS/Spy tracker detectors?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 09:32 PM PDT

    Reposted here since so far no answer on another sub:

    I'd like to get one just to occasionally check my truck, and hotel rooms & such for listening devices and cameras, too. Are they reliable? Any you'd recommend? A lot of reviews on many of those seem fake, and almost all sound alike so I'm not sure whether to trust them or not.

    submitted by /u/yawaworhtdeirrow
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment