• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 3, 2020

    Home Improvement: RANT: When will the "we need to sit down with both homeowners" sales pitch process end?!?

    Home Improvement: RANT: When will the "we need to sit down with both homeowners" sales pitch process end?!?


    RANT: When will the "we need to sit down with both homeowners" sales pitch process end?!?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    We have only been homeowners for 5 years, but we have already gone through this sales pitch routine too many times, and we hate it so much! I am sure it still works with some people, but I feel like these pitches is what sitting through a timeshare sales meeting must be like. I really so much prefer someone coming over, looking at what needs to be done, and then either right there or later send me a detailed quote. I recently had an experience with two HVAC companies, both reputable and highly recommended in the area.

    Vendor #1: Looked at the job, asked questions, answered questions, and then sent me multiple detailed quotes through an online proposal system.

    Vendor #2: Looked at the job, used gadgets to measure everything, made the call to the home office to confirm something was going to be "very expensive, i.e. what he feared", how an AC works (because I don't know anything or know how to look up stuff on the internet!) and then the bombshell: it's really better to sit down and talk about the options instead of sending emailed quotes and talking on the phone!

    I hate that last part so much that even if vendor #2 was going to be cheaper, I probably wouldn't have gone with them. Thankfully, they were more expensive, by a lot!

    submitted by /u/h2d2
    [link] [comments]

    Regret letting an electrician in while I am doing major unpermitted unlicensed remodeling

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    As I said, I was doing some major remodeling, but one day there is an electrician a few houses away on a call, so I asked him to come over to figure out a minor issue. He gave me a bad quote, I got his number, he left. Two hours later code enforcement came. Now I have to get inspected or may have to undo some work, worst is that I may have to hire someone for a drawing because I moved an interior non load bearing wall by a foot. On top of this about $2000 permit fee. Either way, it will cost me thousands more.

    I am so regret ask him to come. However, I am not 100% sure it's him that reported me. It has been a very tough year for me. I am trying to talk myself out of the depression, hey, at least I will get all the work permitted correctly.

    Location Southern California.

    submitted by /u/fire_p123456
    [link] [comments]

    Finished DIY bedroom remodel on an 80 Y/O house in Kansas

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:45 PM PDT

    Just finished remodeling the master bedroom of the house I just purchased! To fix the layout of the house I had to remove a vanity in the master bedroom and build a hallway where it was to get to the bathroom. This way people wouldn't have to walk through my room to get to the bathroom. I also had to demo the closet in my room, it was ugly and not practical to use. This project took me a little over a month of working on my days off. I'm not sure of the exact cost but it was probably $600 in materials, $600 on an electrician, and $1,000 for the carpet. I bought most everything from sutherlands and the small hardware store in my town.

    I posted a gallery of the progress on imgur and here is the link http://imgur.com/gallery/Gym3YDX

    Please let me know what you think. This is my first remodeling project and I had to do a lot of YouTube and googling along with some help from friends. If you have any question or suggestions on what I can do better I'd love to hear them as I sill have a lot of work to do on this house. Next step is putting shelves in my closet, then remodel the bathroom, then living room, then kitchen!

    submitted by /u/RangerBert
    [link] [comments]

    Getting roof done and project manager is saying I have to replace all wood now that the shingles are off.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    I'm having my roof replaced right now, and the project manager just called me and said I have to replace all the plywood on my roof and it will be an extra $2,800. I came home and they showed me the one piece they removed that was pretty damaged, but I looked at the roof and could see it was the piece where I was having a leak. Do they really need to replace all the wood, or are they just trying to up charge?

    Edit: The results. I ended up replacing all the wood. The house was built in 1976 and had the original 3/8" plywood with the rafters 24" apart. The main reason is they had to replace all wood with 1/2" plywood to meet code and I wasn't sure if the roof would look even. I was replacing the roof because I started getting leaks at one side of the house, so there were a decent amount of pieces that needed to be replaced. That in addition to the bad pieces here and there I felt like the best thing to do was to replace them all. I also live in the northeast and we do get a modest amount of snow. Also, I don't believe they were trying to upcharge me. They only charged $50 a sheet and I know each sheet probably costed $35, so not a ton of profit when you consider labor. I think their main motivation was they guarantee their work for 10 years and replacing all the plywood would make issues later on much less likely. Either way, I'm still glad I was able to question them instead of just accepting the additional work to clear my conscious. I would like to thank everyone here for your quick responses and helping me seem like I knew more about roofing than I actually did. The owner of the company actually had to come out and look at the job and talk to me. In the end I'm happy with the outcome and think replacing all the wood was the best decision. Thanks again. Let me know if you think I made the right decision or not.

    submitted by /u/ewas86
    [link] [comments]

    Selling a home with non-permitted work

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    I've got a question for DIY'ers who live in strict permitting counties. In mine, the requirement is technically to pull a permit ($100+) anytime you put up drywall, run wiring, even replace a bathroom sink...basically if I wanted to be completely above-board I'd need to spend nearly as much on permitting as most of the small renovations cost...not to mention the time waiting for city inspectors.

    If I choose not to pull permits for every task now, when it's time to sell the house I'll have to declare if I'm aware of any non-permitted work done. I'd rather not commit fraud by saying "no," but if I say "yes" what should I expect? Will this typically flag the city to immediately demand I tear out walls, tile, and cabinetry to investigate every upgrade? Will potential buyers likely demand I have it retroactively permitted? Do I just have to sell "as-is" and likely take the negative repercussions of doing so?

    submitted by /u/spald01
    [link] [comments]

    Turned off valve under sink to fix a leaky faucet, now no water will come out at all

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    Just moved into our house and the bathroom sink had a leaky faucet. I shut off the water underneath the sink, removed the handle, and tightened the valve stem. Easy peasy. But now when I open the valves all the way under the sink, only a dribble is coming out of both hot and cold.

    Did I overtightem them and somehow break the valves?

    EDIT: and yes, I turned the valves back on and have turned them both directions

    submitted by /u/heir-of-slytherin
    [link] [comments]

    Used the Giani countertop paint kit. How does it look so far?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/1UsbalV

    I'm using the Giani White Diamond Countertop Paint Kit. I primed the countertop and then used the sponge they provided to apply the three different paint colors.

    I'm following the instructions but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Please let me know what you think.

    The next step is to use 600 grit sandpaper to sand down the countertop. Then I will apply the topcoat.

    Before sanding, I'm considering applying more paint (if possible) where the backsplash meets the countertop. This is because I don't know if the caulk is going to hide the black that's on the countertop that's located right under the backsplash.

    submitted by /u/t3chb1zn3ss
    [link] [comments]

    Help! How do I dispose of muriatic acid that has been in the sun for?????

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    I am home visiting with my family and was helping clean out an area of the yard which has been ignored for some time. I found two full bottles of Muriatic acid in a box that have a warning label of a hazard class 8.

    I have no idea how long these things have been in the sun for, but it's been at least several years. This is in Southern Nevada, with temperatures reaching the low 110's. From what I can tell the caps do not appear to be vented. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can dispose of these safely, or if there is any service I can call to have them removed.

    submitted by /u/jalalala
    [link] [comments]

    What is this thing? It sticks out of the wall towards my bathroom sink.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ZzdW663 The wall it's in separates my bedroom from the en suite

    submitted by /u/boomboomshrimp
    [link] [comments]

    We just found mold in our basement? What do i do

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    Do I need to throw away all the clothes in our basement? Do we have to sanitize anything. If I come into contact with people before I end up cleaning anything will I end up getting them sick(especially if they are immunocompromised) I'm just really confused on what to do now

    submitted by /u/Notdinosauce_313
    [link] [comments]

    Install insulation into ceiling to prevent footfall noise?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:24 PM PDT

    I'm looking to dampen the noise of people walking in the apartment unit above mine. I'd like to explore putting more insulation and new drywall into my ceiling as a solution. Does anyone know how much it might cost to hire a company to do this?

    submitted by /u/Somewhere_Too
    [link] [comments]

    Home inspection

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    I currently have an under mounted sink that is properly silicone caulked. However I did had some 2x4 cuts under the sink to ensure it wouldn't fall out with any additional excessive weight in the sink . Is this something a home inspector would flag me on?

    submitted by /u/peteydubz
    [link] [comments]

    Backup generator question

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 08:54 PM PDT

    I live in south Louisiana and constantly having to deal with power outages with major storms. I bought a Duramax 13,000 watt dual fuel portable generator. Just had my home wired for a 50 Amp receptacle outside. I have a 3-ton central AC unit, house has all LED lights etc. My home has electric stove, electric dryer/washer which I could keep off when running air. Would the 13,000 watts be enough to adequately power the central air? Being near swamps where just walking outside for 2 seconds causes a sweat buildup AC is my main concern.

    submitted by /u/swamprat504
    [link] [comments]

    Help Removing this Switch Box from Wall

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:21 PM PDT

    Hi, I am trying to figure out how to replace this cable outlet box with a box that holds an Ethernet port and a cable line. I am struggling though with how to remove the box from behind the plate so that I can access the cable line and run an ethernet line to the basement.

    Any thoughts on how to remove this switch/outlet box from the wall. It looks like it has horizontal metal bar/maybe nails that are keeping the box in place.

    https://imgur.com/a/dZux98K

    submitted by /u/ffunk5
    [link] [comments]

    Granite install

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    So they just finished our granite install and they used a substantial amount of caulk. Is it normal that they do this?

    https://imgur.com/a/Wk5JtAn

    submitted by /u/Botline
    [link] [comments]

    Noticed this gap between the floor and wall in my basement storage area

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/tFhJ3Se to the right there is no Gap and I see the wall there is chipping: https://imgur.com/a/xXcWs9L

    Sorry for two links

    submitted by /u/killedBySasquatch
    [link] [comments]

    How serious is this mold issue? Soap, water and paper towels is working well so far but it' been here for years

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:48 PM PDT

    Under slab leak?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm new to this sub so forgive me if I may not be on the right sub to ask this advice. I'm a new homeowner for about a month now and I've noticed outside of my house, on the opposite side of the kitchen sink and dishwasher, there's significant moisture along the slab and the surrounding grass and dirt. It doesn't seem to be coming from the facet of the house and inside the cabinet where the sink is isn't wet or show signs of ever being wet. What I'm asking is, a theory of what it could be and what it might cost to fix it on my own or if I should be better off leaving it to professionals.

    submitted by /u/Laine73
    [link] [comments]

    Could this be signs of foundation issue?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    Hi first time home owner here.

    Recently I noticed that there are gaps between the wood floor in some places. Stepping on the wooden floor or carpet sometimes creates squeaky sounds. Also the fireplace's backslash is separated from the wall. Not sure if these are normal expansion/separation...

    Here are the pics - https://imgur.com/gallery/fOwyw3Z

    I haven't noticed any actual cracks on the walls or door/window getting harder to open. Are these early signs of foundation issue that I should call up a structure inspector? If not what service should I contact to get them fixed?

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: The house was built 2002 with slab foundation. We bought the house last year and it didn't have these gaps. Not exatcly sure about the construction materials...just a regular house with wood and bricks? The ground is leveled, at least I don't see any obvious slope. We're in Texas so with clay soil I'm concerned about any potential issues.

    submitted by /u/ycmonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to "redesign" room? First time touching my room in almost 10 years and a little lost with how to go about.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:22 PM PDT

    Hey, so I currently have this project of wanting to clean, paint, and change the complete look of my room. I've been asking some question on nostupidquestions as I never really thought to find a home improvement subreddit. Currently, I have emptied the entire room and just put the first layer of joint compound on small areas around the room. I plan on doing another layer after 24 hours (if i could do it sooner I would love to know but I'm just following what the instructions say on the tub). I then will just tape off areas around base boards and windows and start painting. I purchased these paints:

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-ULTRA-1-gal-OR-W04-Nice-Cream-Extra-Durable-Flat-Interior-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-172001/313069398

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-PLUS-1-qt-PR-W15-Ultra-Pure-White-Flat-Low-Odor-Interior-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-105004/310869459

    is it as simple as just painting 2 coatings and thats it?

    My next thing I need to ask to how to handle the floors. I first thought of just getting vinyl stick flooring but a part of me feels like these floors are just so bad to do that. Like I should clean them by sanding or something of that sort. I also have an issue with the door rubbing on it when closing the door:

    https://imgur.com/a/hFV2TjW

    Here's an entire look of the room tonight:

    https://imgur.com/a/1C1eRxz

    thank you so much !

    submitted by /u/NewYearWhoDis1
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing floor tiles. Is this the best time to install underfloor heating?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Hi, we just got a really old house in the UK and doing a extension, loft conversion and refurbishment which includes replacing the floor tiles (maybe with Amtico Vinyl which we currently have in our apartment).

    We dislike carpet so would like to have tiles on ground floor, 1st floor and loft.

    We're thinking: since we're removing the existing tiles and carpet anyways, this is probably the best time to install underfloor heating since the flooring is already gone? Did I understand it correctly?

    submitted by /u/ChakaChakaBoomBoom
    [link] [comments]

    Shingle Cedar Siding Cost

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    We just bought our first house, a little old 1860's house in Massachusetts. We knew going in that the siding was in rough shape and were prepared to pay for stripping and re-siding the whole thing. We're staying with the cedar shingle both because we love it, and the house is on the historic registry.

    All estimates we've gotten though have been 2-3x more than we expected. We're getting estimates in the 60-80k range for stripping and siding with cedar shingles, as well as trim work for a 1,900 sq ft house. I really can't find anything online about the cost to fully re-side a Cedar shingle house, has anyone recently gone through this?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/cjerk
    [link] [comments]

    New fridge occasionally tripping breaker

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    The house is a 2017 build in Central Texas and it's our first. We bought a new GE fridge as the previous owner took the old one with him. We've been in the house six weeks and discovered the fridge off three times so far, with the breaker tripped every time. Resetting the breaker powered it back on no problem each time. It's been at least a week between each incident. The fridge is on a dedicated outlet on a 20A breaker.

    How do I start troubleshooting this? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined - I've built many computers, do my own brakes and replaced all the deadbolts in the house. I have many years of desktop support and sysadmin work under my belt and know how to troubleshoot. I lack knowledge of home electricity. How can I eliminate the fridge, the outlet and/or the breaker as being the cause(s) of the issue? I would like to narrow this down a bit before I start having to throw hundreds at an electrician...

    submitted by /u/fogelsong
    [link] [comments]

    First DIY Vinyl 90s Laundry Floor to 2020s Vinyl Peel and Stick Patterned Tile

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    Before and after imgur photos

    • Liquid nail 4 oz $5.56
    • Nail end plier/cutter $21.98
    • Caulk 10 oz $10.28
    • Heavy duty caulk gun $17.68
    • Caulk finishing tool / lid $6.98
    • Small pry bar ~$10
    • Utility knife ~$15
    • Towels and water for caulk free
    • Envelope mail free (put behind our bar or trim when removing)
    • Putty knife ~$4
    • Vinyl seam sealer ~$15
    • x5 packs of 10 peel and stick tiles ~$97
    • Henry vinyl floor primer $6.98
    • 3" roller ~$5
    • Reused trim free Total cost : ~$215.46 / 3-5 hours of time _________\

    How: I watched and read a lot about this. Removed trim first, cleaned floors, used vinyl stick primer. These measured center and stuck tiles.. replaced trim by cutting off nails, used wood glue to return, caulked trim. Most of floor corners match but if you look close some don't exactly meet at adjacent tiles.

    I wouldn't not recommend this patterned tile if you are ocd it will drive you crazy. I went over the white/white tile edges with caulk and cleaned themes then I used the vinyl seam sealer (not sure if necessary) on the corners and wiped/cleaned the excess.


    3-4 nights after work..a bit at a time. Wanted to try it out, anything was better than the vinyl on there before. I don't plan on using vinyl peel and stick anywhere else in the house.

    submitted by /u/financehelp2020
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment