• Breaking News

    Monday, August 24, 2020

    Home Improvement: Neighbor tried to convince us to take our fence down. Have yours ever done it?

    Home Improvement: Neighbor tried to convince us to take our fence down. Have yours ever done it?


    Neighbor tried to convince us to take our fence down. Have yours ever done it?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 09:29 AM PDT

    We bought the house two months ago, and just moved in this month. When we were out pulling weeds, our backyard neighbor came over to greet us over the fence. He told us that we only owned a tiny section of the fences around our house (basically 1/3 if the fence separating his property and ours), that the fences were in bad shape (not that bad imo), and that both sides could take the fence down if we wanted. He already convinced one of his neighbors to remove the fence between his backyard and their backyard, so now the 2 families kind of share the same backyard.

    Now I'm a typical conflict-avoiding Asian, but I still had to say no. I value my privacy, and I don't want my neighbors to see it when we dance to Youtube videos (secretly crazy introverted stuff). In fact, I would put up 10-ft fences if I could. I plan to do a survey to determine who owns which fence, and if what he told me was true, we would just install a new fence on our property, and he can remove his.

    Have your neighbors ever tried to convince you to take your fence down? I would think that would decrease your property value, wouldn't it? Plus this particular neighbor loves having parties at his place during Covid (no distancing, no mask whatsoever), and my city is a red zone.

    submitted by /u/catsmom585
    [link] [comments]

    Retaining wall and fill, or complete fill dirt for garage site?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    I'm a big DIY guy, but this is a much bigger project.

    I'm looking to add a 24'x36' garage at the end of my driveway on a slab, however there is some serious grading needed and I'm weighing my options.

    Current Site and Shitty Plans

    First off, I'll be excavating the stumps/roots pictured before anything.

    My first option is to rent a dump trailer and bring in ~50 yards of fill dirt at least to level the site for a slab and building. This is going to take some time as I can only pull around 3 yards at a time with my truck. This will ultimately be the cheapest, but I'm not sure about longevity and how well a slab and building will sit on this.

    My second option is to have a retaining wall built, filled with appropriate drainage and fill dirt, and topped off with a slab. This is the most expensive obviously and I've calculated ~270 sq ft of retaining wall. I haven't been able to find much on this approach as most videos I've been able to find are retaining walls built to hold existing, undisturbed dirt rather than a garage.

    Would love to hear suggestions from professionals or people that have taken on a similar project.

    submitted by /u/that_irks_me
    [link] [comments]

    Getting New Roof: Can shingle removal be a diy job?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    23 squares gable roof, 3-4 layers of shingles, approaching the end of its life.

    I have a quote for $8000 to replace with Tamko or Malarkey shingles. The contractor has been really nice and unexpectedly itemized quote (I have little faith in most contractors in this town, so a nice surprise). Half the quote is for removing the shingles. I had no idea this was so expensive.

    Now I haven't mentioned this to my wife yet, but this got me thinking whether I can do the removal myself. I can rent a dumpster from the city for $200 and they will take it away when I am done.

    Am I being an idiot? Should I suck it up and pay the contractor $4k to remove the shingles? I have extensive diy experience, but nothing this big. I can take a week off to do this, but really should I?

    Any comments/criticism is welcome.

    Edit1: Thanks for all the feedback, which very quickly convinced me that I was being too naive. The contractor gets the full job!

    submitted by /u/adapt2
    [link] [comments]

    1960s pink bathroom renovation - album

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    Bathroom remodel -Done

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    Excited to be done with this one. I have done some tile work and different projects in the past but nothing this extensive. This one was quite a bit of work. Proud how it turned out and the fact i did it over the course of about 3 weeks. Thankful for the extra time at home! All in, it cost me about $3k.

    What I did: I raised the ceilings above the vanity and tub. Moved some electrical, added a vent, redid the plumbing to raise shower head and plumbed a new valve. Oh and new tub, flooring, vanity, light, cabinet/etc. I was a little worried how the drywall texture and seams would turn out, but honestly they turned out great, I am most proud of that. lol

    One tip: PEX makes plumbing so easy now. I would recommend anyone give it a try. That said, I would not use the crimp system next time, i sold my crimp tool and bought a PEX A for the next bathroom.

    Note; I couldn't just pull the wire and put it in the proper place in the studs as the length was too short, I would have had to put in a junction box/etc. I had an electrician come and he said to just make grooves and cover with the metal drill plates. To make room for the wire, I use a paddle bit and just drilled straight on, twice (side by side), to make the groove.

    I am sure there are countless things I did wrong, but I am happy. Plus it's a almost never used guest bath.

    Finished Product

    https://preview.redd.it/ktqgx86nw4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=c9fc4272c57a53d62a3905acb029f5b3f7c266a2

    https://preview.redd.it/md3kpe6nw4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=ff3f2816f3b18c8da476d60163b33d89fcc112d5

    https://preview.redd.it/3akgcc31w4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=3e066b5872943bd589eeb5a49ad8facdf453416b

    https://preview.redd.it/u9eul6spv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=1fb1dd65b635189d001bf67c104cfb8c79c00d63

    https://preview.redd.it/orbeg6spv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=30cc3ebc83848448483a03e33f9c1286ead3a850

    https://preview.redd.it/916syfspv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=c604462497c0a227d5d929f029d77bce08a01f94

    https://preview.redd.it/817glcspv4551.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f142ead29b4c2f4f73205e3bc2138e1911907cf4

    https://preview.redd.it/5fgxahspv4551.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=e61871e371f471883ba7a9cb23259ac07d28e619

    https://preview.redd.it/22wd9lspv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=47505258b4e7f660049b3db4557c7f310581dba7

    https://preview.redd.it/szqcr6spv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=fd36ecf8f0fac874cc6e22cd294dfb69d8c5f784

    https://preview.redd.it/sewp4aspv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=74a8412bcdc1f1e25986970648026d75df6eec06

    https://preview.redd.it/sjrkgespv4551.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=00948db079e95413b1cb245303b8334108426934

    https://preview.redd.it/mjzf4hspv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=a8a2096a470ae170d4e0ff4496262e0136f75a73

    https://preview.redd.it/pzrhrkspv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f80bf5d71e7b5298b96f2482d6c97b4d02a5e037

    https://preview.redd.it/x6aj7mspv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=aed94ad43fa0529a262f867870986d99b1e32b34

    https://preview.redd.it/476mmospv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f992c62b95706439d4ab3d2ed5de5ca5defed496

    https://preview.redd.it/qvbim2upv4551.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=79b84cace1d84fd3cf1c9dbc13bb9be7ee1662b9

    submitted by /u/doggsofdoom
    [link] [comments]

    Cutting a Dog swimming pool... help needed!

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    I need to cut this dog "swimming pool." It's too high for my 8 year old golden to jump in and out of. It is actually this stock tank we bought at tractor supply and is very heavy duty.

    Why don't we just buy a normal kiddie pool you might ask? My golden retriever is obsessed with retrieving rocks from underwater. It is his life's passion. Kiddie pools, we are lucky if they last more than a couple of days, so we had to get this.

    So anyway, it needs to be about a foot shorter. It's approx 2.5 feet tall now. Have a saw to cut it with, but after cutting afraid the edges will be abrasive and hurt him if he made contact. Can anyone recommend what to do after sawing it to desired height to make it safe for him?

    Very much appreciate any helpful tips! :)

    https://imgur.com/gallery/Jxbigym

    submitted by /u/likes2walkwithdog
    [link] [comments]

    Rent or Buy?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    What are things you would consider renting instead of buying?

    submitted by /u/louiesalainee
    [link] [comments]

    Not a home, But i could use some help making my barn man cave less disgusting.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    The house that I live in has a two-story barn, We do not live on a large properties so it is used as a storage and as a hangout space for me and my friends. We have recently installed electricity, that being an air conditioning unit and light switches as well as some outlets. It gets really dirty and bugs can get in easy through the windows and where the roof connects to the walls. And I just want to make the place look better overall.

    However, I am young and cannot really do electricity or large projects. Could anyone recommend small projects I could do to fix some things and make it a more livable situation? Please ask questions about the barn because I'd be more than willing to answer if it could help.

    pictures

    submitted by /u/_Goldy82_
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to fix up Grandma's building in Brooklyn

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    Grandmother owns a building in Brooklyn, going to try and renovate a few small parts of it here and there

    Figured I'd start with the bottom part of the doorway, any suggestions as far as filling in the gaps/cracks in the concrete where it meets the sidewalk? I'd also like to paint it, haven't painted concrete before, any suggestions as far as something super weather-proof would be helpful

    Link to Images - https://imgur.com/a/q4GOsN0

    Appreciate any and all suggestions!

    submitted by /u/thesoupwench
    [link] [comments]

    Bad smell coming from sink area in kitchen led to something else...

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    I have been trying to pinpoint a horrible smell in my kitchen since March. I have looked at the dishwasher and the drain line. Clean for the most part. Cleaned the garbage disposal, sinks, everything.

    I just so happen to go under the sink one more time and notice one of the drain lines off the spigot coming into this vent thing.

    Valve

    Awesome! Maybe this valve is going bad and it's only like $14. I'm willing to try anything. I get to looking at video and pictures of these air valves and none of them have holes in the top. Hmm, a little weird. I take a close look and wouldn't you know it, a patch job.

    Problem number 2

    Pretty sure you aren't supposed to drill a hole in the top of the valve for the reverse osmosis spigot. Now I have to replace the valve AND figure out how to tie in this drain properly.

    I have a garbage disposal with a place for the dishwasher drain to dump into. Do they make any types of adapters that have a wye that I could also tie the spigot line into? Is this even the right way of doing it? I am handy ish but my time is limited. Below are some more pictures of the rest cabinet under my sink:

    Under sink 1

    submitted by /u/Myst3r10
    [link] [comments]

    Uncorrected drip from kitchen faucet. What do?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    As a new homeowner, I am excited to report that I am learning to hate the slapdash contractors that cut every corner they knew of when they built our first home. The previous owners were a lovely couple but quite a bit older and unable to adequately repair a lot of issues.

    The next adventure in home ownership made itself apparent when a dribble of water showed up, uninvited, on our kitchen floor. The sink was already poorly attached to the granite countertop and had made my list of things to do. Some of the clips affixing it to the countertop had started to come loose leading to a gap between the undermount sink and the countertop.

    The faucet is now the larger culprit. It gives off a steady dibble dabble every time it's turned on. This pools in the center of the kitchen sink cabinet floor and has caused it to sag and mildew after so many years uncorrected by the previous owners.

    My first thoughts are to:

    1. turn off the water
    2. break the plumbing connections
    3. remove the sink
    4. clean, recaulk, and reinstall the sink with clips
    5. cut out the old cabinet floor
    6. add plywood bracing underneath
    7. add a new plywood floor
    8. reconnect the plumbing connections

    Am I missing anything? Is there something else that I should do?

    submitted by /u/woodsja2
    [link] [comments]

    Exterior Caulking Advice

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    House was built in 97 and the exterior caulk between the siding is pretty much all gone. I have heard that painters are the ones who can do this or it can be done DIY. In your experience, would you hire professionals (it's a two story house), which professionals would you hire (painters vs handyman), or is it relatively easy to do DIY? Thanks!

    EDIT- location is PNW in the US

    submitted by /u/jjjellybelly
    [link] [comments]

    Pier and beam foundation perimeter.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 03:46 PM PDT

    Hi folks, my wife and I just bought a house north of Billings, it was built in 2018 and we are the second owners.

    We have a pier and beam foundation with 6' helical piers and blocks with shims. The previous owners piled rock and dirt up against the perimeter of the house, but there are lots of open areas around the perimiter and our inspector told us we would need to insulate it better. So how should we go about doing that? Also, is there a way to create more room in the crawl space? There is maybe only a foot of clearance in some places, I am trying to think ahead for maintenance purposes and at some point we would like to put an addition on our house.

    We are first time home owners, so I'm not sure how urgent things like this are or if it's something we really need to worry about. My wife and I are pretty capable people and would rather do things ourselves than hire work or repairs out.

    Side note, it can get pretty cold and windy in Montana. There is a circuit breaker for heat tape that apparently heats the pipes if it gets cold enough under the house. The entire floor has R19 insulation as well.

    Thanks!

    Pics of our foundation and house

    http://imgur.com/a/h0pHGAl

    submitted by /u/mistachrisjr
    [link] [comments]

    Can a secret concrete coal room support a hot tub?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    Bought a house last winter. Eventually discovered an old coal room the inspection missed (whole different story)

    Yesterday, a friend offered a free hot tub which ironically fits perfectly on top of this coal room. Would a hot tube full of water and people collapse 6" of old reinforced concrete? Is this a terrible idea?

    https://imgur.com/a/0xYudes

    submitted by /u/brandosm
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with my walls?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    My house (built in 1997, Kyushu, Japan) has wallpaper on the walls which has yellowed over the years and looks generally a bit crap. The wallpaper is over drywall (石膏ボード). I am trying to decide what to do:

    1) Paint over the existing wallpaper with a white paint to make it look fresh again.

    2) Take off the wallpaper (seems to come off pretty easily) and then paint directly over the drywall underneath, filling in any screw holes with plaster.

    3)Take off the wallpaper and apply white plaster over the drywall.

    Any advice? In the case of 1) above, do I need a special kind of paint? The wallpaper seems to be the type that can be painted over (I got some samples from the Internet and tried them in a few places to check for peeling/bubbling....all okay and it's been several months now). The thing is, the paint samples I got are for quite an expensive paint, and if I can use any paint, well then I would rather save the cash. I used this :

    https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kabegamiyahonpo/rkpk-tn-ori-s28/?s-id=ph_pc_itemname

    In the case of 2) above, is it okay to paint directly onto drywall?

    It's just me doing the work and I don't want to break the bank.

    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/tachibana7853
    [link] [comments]

    New house, just moved in, things are suddenly falling apart! And rodents, too!

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    I'm overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

    I just moved in to a new (to me) house. It's a long story, but I was so excited about having a working kitchen and laundry room again! And this seemed to be a really nice house.

    While cleaning the kitchen cupboards yesterday I discovered (I think) mold or fungus through the boards: some were literally falling apart, and letting the cupboard doors close on their own caused a fine dust of wood flakes and black specks to fall on the counter below. I'm pretty sure the damage was caused by moisture from the dishwasher below. The cabinets are 30 years old and made of some sort of particle board.

    I don't feel comfortable putting food or dishes in the cabinets, or anything on the counter below. I can't seem to get them clean. I think I have to tear them out.

    Later on that day (so, last night), my cat fell through the laundry room ceiling. The laundry room is right next to the kitchen, and has a shitty drop ceiling. He brought a lot of the ceiling and some insulation down with him... and a fuck ton of what Google image search tells me are mouse droppings. There's a flickering light hanging by some wires, and I can't get the door open. I shut the door and blocked it off. I'm kind of afraid to open it.

    And the house passed a pest inspection with flying colors just last week!

    I'm not very handy, but I have tools and know some basic woodworking. I imagined some low-key home improvement projects I could start tackling to improve my skills over the years... but not a surprise kitchen and laundry room remodel on day one! Is it reasonable to think I can do this myself in a reasonable time?

    And s it safe for me to even clean up the laundry room myself with the mouse droppings?

    TL;DR: found mold and mouse droppings, thinking of just tearing everything out and starting over. I don't know where to start, or who to call for help. Please help!

    submitted by /u/SufficientAsk2898
    [link] [comments]

    Do toilets use filtered we'll water?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    It doesn't need to go through the filter does it? The water recently got a little darker but it looks fine at the filter.

    submitted by /u/slamdotswf
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix this peeling paint?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 10:53 PM PDT

    I duck taped my vents due to the forest fires (not my greatest idea, but it was better than breathing in the smoke), and upon peeling it away, the paint also peeled away in some pieces.

    As I am renting, I'd ideally like to avoid repainting the entire wall, as that might cause a bit of trouble with my landlord. Is there any way to fix this?

    I do have access to the original paint, if that is of any help. Below is a picture of the vent and paint peeling. Thank you for any advice!

    https://imgur.com/a/XntcNaH

    submitted by /u/dev_json
    [link] [comments]

    Have to cut access hole through tile for shower repair. Options for closing back up?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    Noticed a leak into the crawl space from the shower riser. Plumber thinks there is a sharkbite connection in the wall between the valve and shower arm and that's where the leak is coming from. So due to this location and no access behind, he has to cut through tile.

    Once the leak is fixed, I'll need to repair the hole somehow. One option is to tear all the tile down and re tile the whole shower surround. Or I could do a fiberglass surround. I could just retile the one wall where the hole needs to be cut.

    Are there options for patching a hole or replacing one tile, assuming I can match it even remotely well?

    submitted by /u/hazertag
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen countertops- help with pricing and standard procedure

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    Anyone have a ballpark of what I would pay for materials on the following:

    • counter top (15 ft, L shape)

    Want some kind of rock that won't stain. Other then that not too picky.

    Seems like the stores take the measurements and do the installation as well.

    What's a ballpark price for this? Use Home Depot or local guy?

    submitted by /u/Jumbo86
    [link] [comments]

    Countertop over hang vs. cabinet hardware.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I've got a question about countertop overhang. I had been planning on a 1/2 inch overhang beyond the front face of my doors/drawers as this seems to be standard. I just ordered my cabinet door hardware and it is about 1 inch deep which will make it protrude about 1/2" beyond the overhang of the counter. I'm wondering if this will make the cabinet hardware be in the way or if I should increase the overhang on my counter. I can't remember how it was in my past kitchens and thinking about it now it seems like the hardware will be in the way of I continue as planned. I also feel like too much overhang on the counter will look funny.

    submitted by /u/berelentless1126
    [link] [comments]

    How to get an end piece vinyl plank tight?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 12:55 PM PDT

    Check out my Imgur link. I'm having problem with not having space to get this odd piece to fit tightly. I'll have the same issue when I get to the end of my house. What are the recommended methods to get an odd space plank to sit tight?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/7uGzDbA

    submitted by /u/Mayonnaiseandjelly
    [link] [comments]

    The grate that covers a window well to my basement window has two metal bars that stick out a lot. Seems pretty hazardous, especially for children. How can I best mitigate this?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 10:26 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/Jg4v4pM

    Is there a good material or approach to putting good weather-proof padding around these things?

    submitted by /u/109876
    [link] [comments]

    Have a hard wood floor that’s splintering, need help on deciding which finish to use (or an alternative to fixing this)

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    Pretty sure using my chair at home has fucked up my floor:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ZYtaeUe

    How do I determine what I have and what I need to get to help restore this a bit? If there is a finish I could apply directly to the wood, ideally, I'd like to do that. But I open to any and all suggestions on how bets to handle this.

    submitted by /u/_heisenberg__
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment