• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 22, 2020

    Home Improvement: If you ever run out of parenting nightmare scenarios to play at night, get yourself a magnetic floor sweeper and run it over your seemingly clean front yard.

    Home Improvement: If you ever run out of parenting nightmare scenarios to play at night, get yourself a magnetic floor sweeper and run it over your seemingly clean front yard.


    If you ever run out of parenting nightmare scenarios to play at night, get yourself a magnetic floor sweeper and run it over your seemingly clean front yard.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    I did a budget makeover on our master bath

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:26 AM PDT

    It was low cost and turned out great. https://imgur.com/gallery/zZKX4fa

    submitted by /u/abg2130
    [link] [comments]

    The previous tenant here used drills and screws in the drywall to set up some sort of BDSM dungeon. How do I fix this?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 07:08 PM PDT

    I don't know how to get the screws out (one of them's in a stud but I think that was a fluke) without further jacking up the drywall and I don't actually know how to spackle a larger hole (these will be much larger than a thumbtack or a nail) not to mention how to smooth out the weird spiderwebbing of cracked wall.

    submitted by /u/mamasharkdododododod
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a dumbass who can't use a stud finder

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    I have shelving to install, and apparently I don't understand how to use a stud finder.

    At one point, the stud finder's AC light was going crazy over this whole area, but now it's not.

    Now it's showing a stud horizontally, exactly where I already tried drilling a hole and got stuck after about an inch. In the video in the comments, you can see me go across a section over 2 feet long, and it's not finding any studs vertically.

    What the fuck. Is it possible that I don't have any vertical studs here? Am I do something very wrong? Is my stud finder a cheap piece of shit?

    Disclaimer: I don't know how walls work.

    Edit: I got it, thank you!

    submitted by /u/droppedforgiveness
    [link] [comments]

    What in the shit is this and how do I change it out? Shower head is set to torpedo only.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    Just bought a house and tonight my wife and I spent our first night here. We decided we needed a shower so we gave it a shot. This insane shower head only has one setting, and that's water torpedo to the back. I unscrewed it thinking I'd put our personal one on there that we brought from our previous place. But there are no threads on this thing at all. What can I do to make this a universal hookup?

    https://imgur.com/a/LWdousb

    Edit: Solution has been found! It's a $6 adapter from Ace

    https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/tub-and-shower/shower-head-accessories/49544?store=04047&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfkb6P-Peq14U9buBr3K8IN8DrF0DmP9dSWmcNlrs2ms-n8DYtIshhoaApw5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

    submitted by /u/illusorywallahead
    [link] [comments]

    Polymeric sand vs anything else.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Have a small 10sqft area I am laying for a grill. Polymeric sand comes in a 40lb pail, which is obviously way too much. Curious do I need to use polymeric or can I cheat with something else that is nearly the same for cheaper?

    submitted by /u/kolbasz_
    [link] [comments]

    Tile over Popcorn Ceiling?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    I just bought my first house, yay! Every inch of ceiling is popcorn ceiling, boo! I've seen a few pictures of light weight styrofoam tile being adhered over the top, it looks affordable and not too difficult. Anyone have any insight?

    submitted by /u/lalalaurenglover
    [link] [comments]

    On today’s episode of how fucked up is fucked up... Jokes aside. How quickly do I need to call someone about this crack in my foundation?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/mqdvIaf

    Neighbor was pointing out to us how much the street has shifted towards his house and the foundation damage it's caused (6 inch gap in the foundation of his garage). It caused my husband and I to take a better look at our house. How quickly do we need to address this??

    submitted by /u/suninregret
    [link] [comments]

    Shed foundation question

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 06:40 PM PDT

    Hey y'all, just wanted to pick you're brain here. Gonna stand up a new shed and use my asphalt driveway as a foundation, only problem is that the asphalt pad is about a foot short on 2 sides of the shed if I go with my desired size. I Wasn't gonna frame a foundation with 2x6s but do I have a choice now? Was thinking about filling the sides of the asphalt with gravel and my thought is that if 2 sides are anchored into the asphalt, it doesn't matter that the other 2 sides are sitting over gravel? Again we're only talking about a foot here

    submitted by /u/okan00011
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing unusually installed 40 year old front door from hell

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    I really want to replace my front door with just a basic prehung door because the old one is ugly and drafty. I tried some screw on weather stripping with the rubber tube type and it was still drafty even with the existing spring bronze. I also thought about just painting it and putting better weather stripping on it but I have had no luck getting the rusty hinge pins out and I tried vinegar and penetrating oil twice.

    It is very unusually installed. On the inside the drywall and metal J channel overlaps the rough opening so I can't get any measurements. The house is brick (structurally brick). The opening in the brick is 39 1/4" wide. I can see inside the deadbolt hole which goes in about 2". I can feel the back of the brick to the right, the door stop is 3/4" thick, there is another 3/4" square piece against the door stop that appears to be a filler and then a narrow piece of wood that is for framing the drywall broad side facing the drywall. I have no way to know what is on the hinge side. I am not sure how to attack it and how to be sure when I demo the old door that there will a clear opening for the door and that there will be something to attach it to.

    https://i.imgur.com/h12TeTJ.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/1atm8tb.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/M2Kg0qI.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/YXWKJ9F.jpg

    submitted by /u/sschoe2
    [link] [comments]

    Can you help solve the mystery of the magical laundry closet that once housed a 70s era Washer / Dryer?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    Buying a house and we measured the laundry closet to see what size washer/dryer would could get. The depth of the closet is 31". There is also a gas pipe which extrudes 4.5" from the wall, so the depth is more like 26.5". This doesn't seem deep enough for most any standard dryers. Found some compact ones that were 26" but even that would only leave .5" not enough for vent (?).

    But then we see a picture of the room before renovating and you can see they pulled an old washer dryer out of there. We aren't sure how this was possible. Is it magic or an optical illusion or is there some explanation of how it fit in there? One guess I had was if the back of the dryer were hollow and the lines recessed maybe a 30" dryer could fit in a 31" space? Maybe that gas pipe wasn't there before?

    Also a more important question is how are we going to get a dryer in this space and be able to shut the doors? Our agent said just hang a sheet :( :( :( If the gas pipe and vent were recessed in a box maybe we could get a 28" dryer in there with 3" of clearance at back?

    Thanks for any thoughts, guesses, hints, or clues.

    https://imgur.com/DFTa2Qe

    https://imgur.com/4HELb34

    submitted by /u/larrystarr
    [link] [comments]

    Wallpaper Turning Yellow

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    Hey guys! I'd like to ask for opinions regarding our 34 year old house. When it was built, my grandparents put wallpapers almost all over the house and now it looks yellow ang gross. I'd like to know if a simple paint job could fix this and wouldn't removing the wallpaper damage our walls?

    submitted by /u/pandabear4991
    [link] [comments]

    “Mud Pit” to Patio in two days for $750

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    Last Sunday evening we had some friends over to our back yard for a socially distanced beer. Unfortunately, it had rained earlier and our area was quite muddy. As a result, people tracked a massive amount of mud into our house...

    It put a fire under me to finally build out the patio I had been talking about for a long time. I didn't want to spend a ton on the project, so this is my version of a budget patio.

    I took off the day on Friday to get to work (same day wood was delivered). All day Friday was spent building the frame, moving dirt & planting some plants. Exhausting work. Saturday morning the gravel was delivered and installed, after that I got to work on the pavers, doing my best to compact the gravel as I went. I realize that overtime the gravel will continue to settle and that's perfectly fine with me, I ordered a lot for that reason.

    Here is what used and the cost... - 6 4x6x12 boards for the frame ($200) - 4 tons of 78 pea gravel, installed ($450) - Lowe's Plants, Weed Fabric, etc. ($100) - Pavers (free)

    And here is the big reveal!! I tried to take a lot of pictures during the process to see the progression. I did all the manual work for the frame, initial dirt placement and pavers but hired out the install of gravel (listed above).

    Very pleased with his it turned out. Now I have to figure out how I want the entrance to this space should be. It sits about 25 feet off the road in a downtown city so it's not super private but my wife doesn't exactly want it super private so trying balance that. Open to ideas to create an effective entrance to this space!!!

    Edit: also looking for some new furniture and a gas fire pit (propane) so any good reasonably priced stuff is welcomed!

    https://imgur.com/a/eBpfX5u

    submitted by /u/BeanThinker
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know how to disassemble this pendant light

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    The top and bottom aren't turning around the threaded shaft. I'm guessing the top should unscrew but it might have some thread lock on it. I can't get a good enough grip on it and don't want to use pliers as they'll damage the finish.

    https://i.imgur.com/K4sTErR.jpg

    submitted by /u/poldim
    [link] [comments]

    Exposed wall base plate?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    My wife and I have been slowly replacing our 60 year old cedar shingle siding with Hardie siding, wall by wall, over the past year or so. There have been a few bad bits where we expected to have to repair some structural damage, but no big surprises. At least till now.

    Our den used to be a car port. Like most home owners in our area, it got converted into an extra room half a century ago. Whoever enclosed ours decided to build the wall to enclose the entry such that the base plate is directly on the old driveway. Water on the ground can directly get to the base plate, and you can see the damage to the sheathing.

    The upside is, I live in the desert, and moisture is fairly rare. We have a month long wet season and intermittent (sometimes heavy) snowfall, but that's it. This has probably been in place 50 years.

    So, what are my options? I really don't want to tear out the whole wall, but I could cut out the damaged section, pour some concrete, and put in a new base plate on top of that. That section should not be load bearing, since it was the car port entryway. If there's a reasonable water barrier that could help just shore up what exists that would be nice, but I'm not sure if anything like that would be good enough.

    submitted by /u/pflarr
    [link] [comments]

    Mystery puddle in back yard, accompanied by some wires.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    Hello! I have come for the sagely advice of the internet's, because I think I'm in over my head. I am a relatively new home owner, and yesterday I discovered a wierd spot on my back yard that is always wet. I am in California, and we have had no rain in a while so naturally I investigated to see what it could be. I very carefully dug at the wet spot which was really easy to remove the mud. Beneath about 4 inches of mud, I found this pipe and strange wire, which the wire is partially broken. https://imgur.com/a/DEKs2TM

    I also need to mention, that this is about 10 feet from the back of my house. I realize it could be an irrigation line, but what is the wire? I sort of broke out in a cold sweat once I saw the wire, because at one point I did dig a little with my hand into the water. If that wire is energized, it's still well enough insulated to not have energized the water. It does creep me out to think I might have electrocuted myself.

    What should I do? This house is turning out to have a ton of problems, and I feel like I need to try and do what I can on my own. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/givemebiscuits
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought GE 100% silicone caulk for our shower. Should we completely remove the cheap latex caulk that was applied a month prior before applying the silicone caulk?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    We had the caulking redone about a month ago by the building's handyman who used this cheap, chalky latex sealant that almost seems to be slowly...dissolving.

    It seems like we'd have to chip it away slowly in order to remove it. Will the silicone be able to bond without complete removal of the previous caulking? Any tips on how to remove this plaster-like caulk in the least tedious manner?

    Caulk you.

    submitted by /u/yiiiiiiiiiikes
    [link] [comments]

    Unevenness in vinyl plank flooring

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:54 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/7x0P0jT

    I'm on my second row and I'm getting the gaps as picture and the planks are slightly uneven. Can anyone chime in and tell me what I'm doing wrong?! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mayonnaiseandjelly
    [link] [comments]

    What went wrong with these joints and how can I fix them?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    Gallery https://imgur.com/a/FTc0F4R

    Finally getting to fixing these things. They were like this when I moved in. I don't believe they've gotten any worse in the 8 years I've been at this house. What the best course of action? Remove and replace? Play Darude and get sanding? Can any be salvageable?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Schwatster
    [link] [comments]

    Total Bathroom Remodel

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/3osegwD

    My sister in law and I did all of this ourselves, other than moving the plumbing around and the electrical. We had never done anything like this before, so we learned as we went and really had fun with it.

    My husband and I bought our house 2.5 years ago and have been slowly (very slowly) updating little parts here and there. It was built in 1929, has 5 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. The 5th "bedroom" is just off the living room and has pocket doors that lead into it, and it's really only counted as a bedroom because there is a closet. We use it as a playroom for the kids. The full bath is right behind the playroom closet, and since we don't really need the closet, we decided to expand the tiny bathroom into the closet.

    At the end of June we decided to finally get started by taking out the closet walls. The walls and ceilings are lath and plaster, it was fun but a lot of work! There was a drop ceiling in the bathroom that was probably put there because of the mold on the ceiling. Everything in this bathroom was always getting moldy, probably because there was no ventilation in there at all. So taking all the lath and plaster down and then getting rid of the mold felt great! We got about 2 more feet of height by taking the drop ceiling down, which helps it feel so much bigger. I replaced all the lath and plaster with mold resistant drywall and we put in a bathroom fan to help keep the mold away.

    Also, as we were tearing out the closet walls, we found a small window in the wall. And we noticed the bottom frame of the closet had an opening like a door way. So we are pretty sure this bathroom used to be this size, but they reduced it to add in the closet. I couldn't believe it when I found that!

    But I'm in love with this bathroom! It feels so clean and fresh and BIG! I can't believe we did this ourselves. It was officially finished about a week ago, so it took us a little over a month to get it done.

    submitted by /u/BeautifulSoul28
    [link] [comments]

    Tree hitting line and causing sparks - need to get this dealt with ASAP but want to make sure the tree doesn't croak.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    New to us (as of April) house. We have a huge fruitless mulberry in the backyard. We observed tha some of the branches were awfully close to the overhead lines but shrugged it off.

    Well... That came to a head recently. High winds rolled through and POP POP. Sparks, flashing, freaked the hell out of us. Oddly, doesn't impact our power service at all (can't say the same for the folks down the block)

    We've already called the utility, we're in the system, but I'm curious what we can/should do about the fact we're looking at getting the tree trimmed at the worst possible time (best if dormant). This tree is a huge factor in the appeal of the backyard. We live in the desert SW so a huge, established shade tree is worth its weight in gold.

    This is obviously secondary to the need to, you know, not kill us or ours neighbors or start a huge fire. If we can even get it done, the utility is giving us the run around.

    Anyone with guidance/experience with this? I'm cynical, I assume the contractor they send in is going to do a hack job. Is there anything we can do to help the tree heal appropriately (like have someone come in afterwards?) What would I ask for?

    submitted by /u/rkfrito
    [link] [comments]

    Stained Bathtub and solution before Condo Sale

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    I am seeking advice on how to proceed with a stained bathtub and contemplating a condo unit sale.

    The tub is original from 1982 and of course isn't the most pleasant now days. Its to the point where I am even embarassed to have others see it at times.

    The rest of the unit is move in ready, no repairs required, fresh paint, floors etc. but this dang tub....

    What solutions do you all have? 1. do i just clean the best i can and left the new home owner deal with it? I feel this will make it more difficult for the unit to sell and also be a card the buying uses in negotiation.

    1. replace the tub and eat the cost. Yes, i may realize some of value plus a quicker sell. But again likely losing some money overall.

    2. Purchase this epoxy paint and put it back to white. Its kind of a scabby fix in my opinion but i have seen some real good outcomes. Most reviews mention it smells really back and possibly that would be a hinderance for prospecting buyers?

    Any tips or solutions would be welcomed.

    JS

    submitted by /u/Shamrons_Coma
    [link] [comments]

    How do other people deal with this?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    We have a 2 gallon gas can that we keep just outside of the garage door under a covered area. Squirrels, or some rodent, have chewed the red gas can and made a hole in it. Apparently rodents chew gas lines often, as well as gas cans and things like it. So what do other people do? We don't want to store the gas can in the garage since part of the garage is now a home office (thanks covid) and the whole room will smell so strongly of gasoline. When we store the can outside the squirrels get it. Do other people have this problem? We tried to just put an orange home depot bucket over it but they animals just get under it anyways. I'm just frustrated since gas cans are annoying expensive to replace considering. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Mightymeatballs
    [link] [comments]

    Drilling Cast Iron Sink?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    I just moved into a new house that has a cast iron sink that does not have an extra hole for my RO faucet. Do people usually use carbide hole saw bits to drill through these and should I start with a pilot hole with diamond bit? picture

    submitted by /u/bigboijoey
    [link] [comments]

    Can you guys help me identify this texture?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    Trying to match some new drywall to existing and struggling to get a match. It looks like it's rolled on, but not sure.

    Here are some images. First one is texture with only one coat of paint. Next two are of a room that's been painted a few times.

    https://imgur.com/a/XnJsYBR

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/easyhoneybadger
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment