• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 25, 2020

    Home Improvement: I did a subway tile backsplash for my dad

    Home Improvement: I did a subway tile backsplash for my dad


    I did a subway tile backsplash for my dad

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 04:25 AM PDT

    “It’s just a bidet installation!” they said. “It should only take 20 minutes!” they said...A tale of my first home improvement project catastrophe...

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    We badly need the main sewer pipe in our house replaced or relined, and until we can get that scheduled, we can't flush any paper. So being the enterprising and brand new first time homeowner that I am, I bought us a lovely new bidet! All the reviews said the installation was a piece of cake so I happily got started on it during the toddler's nap time, figuring it would take no more than a half hour.

    Thus began an epic 13 HOURS OF BULLSHIT. THIRTEEN. ONE-THREE.

    I get the toilet seat off and all my equipment set up, and start on step 1: shutting off the water valve to the toilet. And I swear to Christ...I hardly even touched the damn thing when the handle just straight up snapped off in my hand. Well ok. Shit. Need to replace that...just needs a new shut off valve and a wrench, right? How much money and effort could that really be?

    Three trips to Ace, $200, a 16 piece set of wrenches later, and I still couldn't change the thing out. The original owners had built-in cabinets placed so close to the shutoff valve and toilet that no tool besides my hand could really fit into the space, and a long handled wrench could only turn about 2mm before I had to reset its position. But what choice do I have?

    So a few hours of exhausting hand cranking later and I have the broken valve off the pipe. I'm also soaked because despite turning off the water to the house, the line was still pressurized when the handle snapped off and it's bubbling a damn river into my bathroom. Que sera, sera, it's finally time to replace the shutoff valve(!) but then...I see the compression ring. And my already mentally frayed ass spent like an hour trying to get that fucker off before I finally did the research to learn it's a useless endeavor without a specific tool, and I could just use the old one with the new shutoff valve. With dumbass moments like these I'm not sure how I manage to walk and breathe at the same time...

    Anyway, yay! Finally bidet installation time! Step 2: replace the rigid water supply line with a flexible metal hose, and attach the bidet adapter. Smooth sailing now, right? WRONG. WATER IS EVERYWHERE. I spent another couple of hours trying to diagnose the different locations of the leak. Another 2 trips to Ace. Plumbers putty. TFE paste. Piping tape. New gasket rings for the 3 way ball valve. And all of it done in a space only 2 inches wide.

    Everything is finally attached with a nice tight seal except for the toilet fill valve shank apparently, because water pours out from above the lock nut whenever I turn the water back on. And FUCK ME, the space under the toilet was already so tight to work in that there is literally zero room left between the water shutoff, water supply line, bidet adapter, and bidet control arm, so now I have to take it all apart again just to unscrew and reseat the nut properly. But how hard can that be, right?

    The answer is: impossible.

    Whoever installed that fill valve originally fucked me in two ways: first, despite all fill valve instructions saying NEVER do this, they used some kind of tool to tighten the plastic locknut onto the valve shank, making it way the fuck too tight and stripping it completely. All I had left to grip was maybe 2mm of soft plastic which had been butted up to the porcelain so tightly that even that 2mm was worthless. It was like trying to unscrew a piece of candle wax in a tight 2 inch space that didn't allow for a pair of pliers to fit in properly. The second way they awesomely fucked me is that they used some kind of glue to create what they thought was a secure connection between the lock nut, fill valve shank, and washer, but which should never have been used on the kind of rubber washer because it was so fragile and damaged that the little bit of manipulation I put on the shank when installing the bidet adapter was enough to help fracture whatever prayers were holding the seal together. After the fact, this also helped explain why the locknut would not come off - it had been glued in place and then expertly stripped.

    I tried everything to get that locknut off, and I just couldn't. I started this damn project at 10 AM and it was now 8 PM with no end in sight and Home Depot closing an hour. So I did the only thing I could and went and bought a Dremel, to use for the first time ever in a tiny 2 inch space while lying on the ground surrounded by water and next to the most important piece of porcelain in the house at 10 o'clock at night, while my toddler was sleeping in the adjacent room (no pressure!)

    The execution turned out to be just as nerve wracking as I imagined, and it barely worked. I got through about half of the shank pipe only to discover the glue, and I resorted to trying to just snap the thing out with my hands now that I had a point of weakness.

    By 11 pm I was FINALLY done with installing the new fill valve set, reattaching the bidet, and cleaning up the bathroom, and had a moment to silently scream into the endless void while taking a shower.

    The palms of my hands are black and blue, my entire body is aching from the positions I was in, and the muscles in my arms feel like jello. The whole ordeal cost me $350 in tools and other supplies, and I can't help but think about the fact that I probably could have bought an entirely new toilet with a built-in bidet for that same price.

    Lessen learned: there is absolutely NO SUCH THING as a "quick 20 minute home improvement project".

    submitted by /u/TransplantedNoob
    [link] [comments]

    $13k Shower Remodel - My First Major Project.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    For starters, here's the link to the album. There's a bonus photo awaiting those who make it to the end of the album.

    TL;DR

    Total Project Cost: $12,824.98

    Demo total: $620.85

    Tile total: $2,595.53

    Vanity/Cabinet total: $3,846.11

    Woodwork total: $929.10

    Shower Glass total: $2,158.44

    Contractors total: $1,518.34

    Miscellaneous total: $1,156.61

    Start-Up total: $2,372.11 - Not included in the total. Explanation in full post.

    The main body of work was done in 8 months. Total time was just over a year due to a materials delay, followed by a ruptured achilles and the surgery, recovery, and rehab thereafter. As I'm a veteran, most of the totals include military discounts, 10% on average, so you may find that these costs are little lower than you might expect.

     

    I included most of the details of the actual work in the photo descriptions in the album. What I'm going to include here are numbers and the timeline. I started this project in April of 2018, with all the major work being done by December, but some of the finishing touches were done throughout 2019 due a ruptured achilles in September, followed by surgery, recovery, and rehab. I'm good to go now, though. Even in better shape than before. Anyway, had the achilles rupture not have happened, the total time, minus delays due to mistakes both by myself and vendors, would have been about 5 months, with the shower operable about a month after the first hammer-strike of demolition. My wife and I both work full-time and have a young son, so work was done around his school schedule and our work schedules. We have a membership to our local YMCA, and I'm a firefighter with access to showers at the firehouse, so not having a shower for a month was more of a hassle for our son than my wife or I. The best part of this was we literally hosed him down a couple of times. Everyone had fun.

     

    Start-Up

    I'm including this because we got ourselves a real fixer-upper, and as this was my first major project, there was essentially a start-up cost to becoming my own contractor. There were a lot of tools I didn't have that I knew I would either need for this job, or the ones to come. This included everything from a voltage tester, to a table saw. For this project, the tools I needed include tiling hand tools, a tile saw, a chop saw, a pneumatic finish nailer, and some hand tools. I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but those are the big ones I can think of. All that being said, I'm not including this in the over-all project total as these aren't project specific. I wanted to include this here, though, for anyone thinking of taking on major projects who might not have all the tools necessary, as this is still part of the cost of getting it done, it's just that you can reuse this stuff on other projects, while tile, woodwork, and fixtures for example, are all one-project use items. I'm even including paint and primer in here, as I had all but the green paint for other projects already. For primer, I used Zinsser Cover Stain, and for paint I used Benjamin Moore Aura, and Benjamin Moore ceiling paint.

    Start-Up total: $2,372.11.

     

    Now, where did the $13k come from? Mostly the tile, shower glass/door, and the vanity/cabinet. If you factor out a costly mistake on my part, the total would be $500 less, but I was - still am - an amateur, and didn't account for the finished walls in a measurement, which proved to cost us almost an extra $1K. So why only a $500 difference? That's explained under Vanity/Cabinet.

     

    Demo

    I needed a dumpster. The base charge was $530, but I guess I was overweight or had something not allowed in it or something. I forget their reason for charging me extra, but that was another $90.85.

    Demo total: $620.85.

     

    Tile

    For the shower accent wall we used 12x24 Bits & Pieces Multicolor Muretto Cold, and for the other two walls we chose 12x24 Bits & Pieces Natural Powder Bone. The shower floor tile is 2x2 Bits & Pieces Pewter Smoke Natural. The grout for all of the shower tile is Laticrete Permacolor Sterling Silver.

    We chose 6x24 Alava Cottage Wood tile, with Tec Light Pewter sanded grout for the main bathroom floor.

    All the tile is porcelain.

    Marble was chosen as the curb cap.

    The shower accent wall is 46sqft, the other two shower walls are 56sqft total, the shower floor is 20sqft, and the main floor is 48sqft. The cost of the tile, marble, and grout was $2,369.76.

    The Ditra, thinset, and the leveling system came to $225.77.

    Tile total: $2,595.53.

     

    Vanity/Cabinet

    We picked the JSI Trenton 54" 2 door, 4 drawer vanity with shelf, with a Cambria quartz top. I forget the name of the pattern, and it's not on any of the invoices. The cabinet is a 12" x 30" x 90" utility chiswick maple allwood cabinet with the gentle close hinges. We also opted for chrome hardware on everything over the stuff that came with it, so that added some extra cost.

    This is where the major issues were. One, I messed up some measuring. We originally ordered a 36" wide cabinet, but the finished space just barely fit a 30" wide cabinet. This mistake cost just shy of $1,000.00, as I couldn't return the original cabinet. The new cabinet took about a month to get. The other issue was the vanity. It was delivered fully assembled, but the drawers weren't closing properly. They rubbed, making a hell of a squeak and already showed signs of wear on the paint. I took a look to see if I could square it away, but the screws weren't sunk in the proper position, though they weren't so out of position that clean, new holes could be tapped. I didn't want to fill the holes and redo it for fear of messing up and voiding any kind of coverage it comes with. Plus, for the kind of money we spent, I really didn't think I should have to do that. So, I called the vendor and they ordered up a new one. It took almost a month to get it. Guess what? Same goddamn issue. Nearly another month wait. AGAIN, same issue! I call them and I'm really annoyed at this point. The owner of the company ends up calling me shortly after that call, and he asks how I want to settle this. I told him I wanted the display model because I was in there the other day and it was functioning perfectly, but I wanted a partial refund because I'm getting a display and the whole ordeal cost me time. He agreed that that was fair, so we settled on a $500.00 refund and the next day the vanities were swapped. The display looked as good as the new ones and functioned even better, so all was well. The timing for each issue pretty much overlapped, so the total delay was just shy of two months.

    Vanity and Cabinet total: $3,846.11, including a $500.00 discount, and $1K mistake.

     

    Woodwork

    The shiplap is standard, big box store, pre-primed ½" x 5" x 8' boards, coming in at $477.17 for about 65sqft of it.

    The trim is ¾" x 8" baseboard, chair rail, some door trim, window trim, and a corner piece to cover the shiplap as it meets the tile next to the cabinet. I got about 24ft each of baseboard and chair rail, 16ft of door trim, and 16ft of window trim. This came to $451.93

    Woodwork total: $929.10.

     

    Shower Glass

    We knew nothing about the company we chose going into the process, but they were really good. They gave us a military discount, installed everything in about an hour, and came a few months later to tighten up the door after a bit of settling. We were very happy, and if there's a next time, we'll go with them again when we need shower glass.

    Shower Glass total: $2,158.44.

     

    Contractors

    When friends are actually trade professionals, you should always assume you're going to pay full price. That being said, I did not. I paid a total of $1,300.00 for labor for plumbing, drywall, and plastering, plus $218.34 in plumbing supplies. Drywall materials were actually covered by the cost I paid my friend to drywall & plaster.

    Contractors total: $1,518.34.

     

    Miscellaneous The vent fan is a Delta BreezGreenBuilder GBR100 100 CFM Exhaust Bath Fan that cost $65.85. The shower finish plumbing is the Symmons 3505-H321-V-CYL-B Dia Shower System, and cost $537.99. It's starting to rust a bit, which kinda pisses me off considering what we paid for it. Insulation was $225.77. Toilet is a Kohler Highline Complete Solution 2-Piece 1.1 or 1.6 GPF Dual Flush Elongated Toilet, costing $327.00. I love this toilet. It happily eats everything we throw at it, and it's yet too clog. Knock on wood…

    Miscellaneous total: $1,156.61.

     

    Total Project Cost: $12,824.98.

    submitted by /u/flyboy3B2
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: Add a gate to patio railing

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 05:13 PM PDT

    Not that anyone was holding their breath, but I did it. This involved: cut out a section of the railing, trimmed it down, swapped out the rotting post, added some bracing, and installed hardware. The hinges were definitely a bit too big for the gate, but whatever. I ordered them online during the time of COVID and thought they would be fine. They're functional.

    Images here: https://imgur.com/a/ZQIrvW1

    Original post here (boring, don't bother clicking the link): https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/hh147k/advice_add_a_gate_to_patio_railing/

    submitted by /u/GUTyger
    [link] [comments]

    Am I the only one who struggles with Drywall patching?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    The past couple weeks I've patched several holes in my walls and ceiling. I have fairly smooth walls so I made so sanded it down so it was perfectly smooth.

    It looked just fine but when I left it try and paint it, I can see plenty of imperfections. Some of it is from the fact that the new patching has added some thickness to the drywall and others is from the fact that the texture from the paint is different.

    I have a lot of respect for drywall contractors after this experience.

    I'm thinking of hiring someone to re-do my work, but wondering if it is really realistic to have the patched area completely undetectable from the old?

    submitted by /u/kmin4240
    [link] [comments]

    Where to take classes and/or gain knowledge in home improvement skills

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    I am trying to find out how I can, in a nutshell, "get better" at home improvement projects. I have successfully replaced a kitchen faucet, re-caulked a shower, replaced an outdoor spigot, and patched a hole in the driveway (kind of) so far. But, the entire time I was doing all of these things, I was pouring over YouTube videos and struggling to figure out what the first step even was. I felt like I was struggling the entire time and didn't know what I was doing. Every trip to the hardware store was overwhelming.

    I never got any instruction in these things growing up, so I'm starting almost from complete scratch. I have looked at local community colleges and vo-tech schools, and they have things like masonry, carpentry, electrician, and HVAC classes, but they are all offered during the day, and are geared towards people looking to make a career out of it. I work full time during the day, so that isn't an option for me.

    If I need to run a new water line, or put up a retaining wall, or move/add a light switch, or replace a window, I have absolutely no idea where to even start. Is the best way to learn these things really to just watch videos and try to copy what I'm seeing? Should I just hang out here for a while? Is there something I'm not thinking of?

    submitted by /u/ParticularWingspan
    [link] [comments]

    Small project ideas while house sitting for parents

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 06:37 PM PDT

    Basically in 26 been living at home rent free last few years. I contribute in purchasing groceries and whatnot

    My parents plan on selling this home and downsizing in near future for financial reasons. They want to do some paint and carpet updates but they already have specific ideas in mind so I don't want to mess with their design

    I'm home alone the next couple of weeks and would like to do something to contribute towards getting the house ready for staging and photos or whatnot. I work full time so something for the evening. Ideas? It could be a few little projects or one that's a bit larger

    I don't want to do anything too personal or sentimental since they are selling so something more practical. I noticed that within the garage the steps and door to enter the home could use a good scrub and cleaning. Maybe fresh coat of paint. Not sure if that's a dumb detail that doesn't matter for showings

    Any ideas for deep cleaning or small projects appreciated

    TYIA for any ideas!!

    submitted by /u/matcha-frap
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove a penny floor?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    About to buy a house and the previous owners installed a penny floor in a bathroom. I believe it was sealed with epoxy.

    How would I go about undoing/removing this?

    Can I just tile over it?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/CrunchatizeMe_Capn
    [link] [comments]

    Leaky Kitchen Faucet Spray Head

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    Trying to get some help on tracing the source of a leak in the spray head assembly on my apartment's kitchen faucet. From time to time the spray head will start to slip off of the nozzle and water will leak through the bottom of the head. You have to apply pressure to get the spray head to seat but it takes very little use for it to start leaking again.

    I feel like there is a missing o-ring that should sit in the groove of the black nozzle to prevent leakage past the bottom of the handle. Similarly, there is an empty hole that looks like it may be for a set screw or something similar that locks the head in place. Another alternative is that idk wtf I'm talking about and what I actually need is a new spray head assy since mine should not be pulling apart like that

    Tried googling but really finding anything specific to this issue, any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/gtN1
    [link] [comments]

    Are old metal kitchen cabinets worth money?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    I had seen some article a while back that old metal kitchen cabinets were worth money because people want to recreate a particular look from the '30s-'50s. My house was built in 1949 and still has the original cabinets. I'm looking at redoing my kitchen which is a good size and has a lot of these cabinets in good shape. I think there are about 20 upper and lower cabinets of various sizes including a pantry of sorts that is about 7' tall.

    If there is a market for stuff like this, where would I find it?

    submitted by /u/barnacledoor
    [link] [comments]

    First time skim coating - thoughts?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Had water damage which led to damage in my paint and plaster walls. Knocked out the paint and loose plaster, filled with joint compound, skim coated, painted. My first time doing all that except for the painting. Thoughts?

    https://imgur.com/a/2m8Vkw6

    submitted by /u/ProductionSound_Net
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a water conditioner, softener and reverse osmosis. Can you make all 3 work together?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    I got a really good deal on all of these and I want to know if they will all work together? The water in my area is extremely hard. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/kevinn760
    [link] [comments]

    Interior Brick Disaster

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    Hello all! Me (F23) and partner (M24) have started to renovate a garden unit in chicago that has been used as a storage space for the past century or so and turn it into our first ever apartment together. We have decided to keep the exposed brick/stone walls. Which we love the look of. However someone painted a wall black without sealing the brick first. We have been trying to strip the paint (it is very labor and time intensive) and at this point we just want to know if we can seal over the painted brick to stop dust/dirt gathering. Any help would be super helpful! This is all new to us!

    submitted by /u/tboz4
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix cloudy granite that has turned white?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 08:43 PM PDT

    Hey guys. Sorry if this is the wrong sub but I don't know where else to ask for advice on this. In the upstairs bathroom the granite around the faucet of the sink has formed a white buildup of what appears to be scratched granite? When I clean I use bleach on the granite but the issue is that it has only formed around the faucet handles and the spout. Could it be mold? But if it is mold then how because I thought bleach killed mold? Thanks

    submitted by /u/YummiTheMagicalCat
    [link] [comments]

    Toilet chips/glaze defects

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    I wasn't originally planning on re-doing our basement bathroom, but the more things I find wrong with it the more I am leaning toward the re-do it side of things. The most recent thing I noticed is a chip inside the toilet bowl that is through the glaze as well as some sort of inclusion flaw in the glaze inside the toilet bowl. Other than looking bad; do these defects impact the water tightness of the toilet bowl enough to warrant replacement? Both defects are below normal water level in the bowl.

    submitted by /u/Jonesmp
    [link] [comments]

    First DIY. Replaced basement carpet with gym floor tiles.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    Recently moved into this house and decided to make a workout area for us. No time to remove the wood paneling this year though.

    https://imgur.com/a/Fmrr0gG

    submitted by /u/blacksheep_esquire
    [link] [comments]

    Had musty smell downstairs in the spring. Now we’re refinishing floors and noticed a moisture leak

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, just looking for some advice. Moved into this house almost 2 years ago. This past spring during after extended heavy rainfall we noticed a musty damp smell in our downstairs by the sliding door. Couldn't pin point where it was coming from. Ran a dehumidifier for a couple days and it took care of the smell. We didn't have this problem last year at all.

    Fast forward to this week when we are refinishing the downstairs. We just had our floors levelled with self levelling concrete and the contractor had sealed the cracks with mono foam. It rained a little yesterday and now I see moisture coming in under the sliding door. UGH. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated

    Some pictures:

    submitted by /u/LenticularLove
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-work before painting fresh drywall? Do we need to “mop” the walls?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 07:49 PM PDT

    Fresh drywall (Sheetrock + tape/mud + texture) was finished in our basement last week. The drywall contractor kindly gave us some basic tips on painting. He didn't mention anything about the standing dust on the walls.

    A few google searches have taught me that "mopping" fresh drywall is a thing, to get the dust off before the primer goes on.

    I'm assuming we need to do this or just at a minimum use a towel to knock off the dust so it doesn't get stuck in the paint. Can anyone advise please and thank you?

    submitted by /u/cw1115
    [link] [comments]

    Curtains for Uneven Ceiling

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    I originally was hoping to get floor to ceiling black out curtains for my room. However after seeing the actual room itself, I noticed there's a weird part that sticks out on the left (right above the windows). How would I be able to install curtains for this room? Are there curtain tracks that can turn around corners like these? Thank you in advance!

    https://imgur.com/a/KypWC6f

    submitted by /u/NameMee123
    [link] [comments]

    Ghost studs

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    I'm looking at my wall to mount my tv, and I found the studs using both the knocking method and a stud finder, I've previously only used the knocking method, and there's definitely something in the wall, however when I drill the drill punches straight through as if it's drywall, and I get no wood on the bit

    Additionally, the studs are ~21 inches apart center to center, and the studs are different widths

    It is possible that they are steel, because I don't have a strong enough magnet in me to check, but it seems like the spacing of the studs is really inconsistent, and I've never lived somewhere with steel studs before so I'm not sure

    EDIT: I drilled a couple holes and found the actual studs, I dunno why I was having so much difficulty but they were very offset from where I thought they were, weird

    submitted by /u/Woflecopter
    [link] [comments]

    Let's Talk About These "Hose"

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    Just bought a house and I'm looking for hose. Does anyone have any brand / type recommendations that won't constantly kink? The hose will be used for watering, washing car, etc.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DIYHomeInspection
    [link] [comments]

    I renovated my kitchen last year and though I should share the experience.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    Over a course of basically 4 weeks last year I completely gutted and renovated my kitchen (and main level flooring / trim), and took a lot of progress pictures to share. Here they are!

    https://imgur.com/a/YaTgzrB

    I had a pretty tight timeline from the start and wanted to get this project completed as quickly as possible so I didn't have to live without a working kitchen with two kids and a wife for too long. It worked out well in the end. It was tiring, but I hopefully saved myself a bunch of money by doing it myself. Between working 55+ hours M-F every week, then taking on a couple of the items that I really had to concrete plan in place for I was in a little over my head at times, but got it done.

    First weekend (Nov 1st) was all about demo. We already ordered the cabinets and had a delivery date (Nov 7th). We also already had a date scheduled to measure for counter-tops which if we ended up need to push back would add several weeks to our timeline, and add several weeks of living without a kitchen. Everything was right on schedule and I was going to keep it that way.

    Demo went smooth, the first weekend I ripped out all of the cabinets, old appliances, and the tile flooring. I also hung new drywall where I had to rip it out due to the fake bricks taking the drywall off with them.

    During the next week I finished the drywall and took delivery of the cabinets. The weekend brought a day of hanging cabinets, and another day of leveling base cabinets, as well as some plumbing for the new sink and pot filler.

    During the next week it was getting everything set up for counter measuring. Installing the new sink (cutting into a brand new sink cabinet), double checking measurements for appliances and whatnot, and building the island. That weekend was flooring, a lot of flooring.

    The following week was light, appliances installed, odds and ends worked on (pot filler). Sunday I built the back side of the island, countertops were scheduled to be installed the following day.

    Next week right on schedule the counters were installed Monday afternoon. Spend my nights that week hooking up the sink, new disposal, dishwasher, basically bringing the kitchen back to working order, in 4 weeks time.

    After that I took it easy and just worked on the weekends really, the rush was over and i could take my time. Installed a new door one weekend, the pot filler another, under cabinet lighting, re-wired a couple dimmer switches, finished the trim work another weekend, trimmed out the island, had my buddy do the tile backsplash. It was an overall fun project, but if I could do it again I probably would have taken some time off from work instead of cramming a full kitchen renovation into nights and weekends on top of 55+ hours a week at work.

    Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks for watching!

    submitted by /u/eoncire
    [link] [comments]

    Drano goes down the sink just fine, but water backs up...we're lost

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    Hi Everyone!

    We got a clog in our kitchen sink (double basin) and have no idea how it got there. After using 2 bottles of Drano we thought all was clear, we ran the hot water down the sink and it was draining slow but still draining. Both sides would back up. We then used another bottle of Drano and it completely went down down drain, no issue and left it over night. I went to go do dishes this morning and just after rinsing a coffee mug, there the clog was. again. Barely any water was used. And now it is not draining at all. I am getting a plunger after work since ours dry rotted, but could there be a bigger issue? We live in LA and have a sewer line, no septic.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Grapefruit-Sensitive
    [link] [comments]

    I renovated my laundry.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    We had a really dank laudry downstairs, so we ripped pretty much everything out and refreshed it.

    First thing was to level and reline the ceiling. It's hung on the underside of the floor joists for upstairs, and was at least an inch out of level in spots.

    Then a few coats of paint, new taps, vinyl plank flooring, flatpack cabinets and a new door. I had to replace the old door jamb and window surround. Made sure to mount the jamb properly. It was a fun surprise when I worked out the old one was literally only glued to the brick.

    We're happy with how it turned out given that I did everything except plumbing (except the sink and waste) and electrical myself.

    Only problem is that the dog lost her bedroom. She got a cosy new kennel as part of the deal though.

    Hope it's up to standard.

    Finished

    Before

    More pics here

    submitted by /u/StefeSoo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment