• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 26, 2020

    Home security: What is your take on this break in?

    Home security: What is your take on this break in?


    What is your take on this break in?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 09:04 PM PDT

    Nothing stolen, but all windows and doors were left unlocked by the intruder.

    Someone broke into my apartment while I was on vacation. The door was clearly pried open with a crowbar. But nothing was taken/disturbed. All the doors and windows were unlocked, though, and my balcony is only a half story off the ground, so easily accessible.

    I am taking steps to secure the apartment as much as possible, my real question is...what do you think their purpose was? They ignored top shelf liquor. They left an iPad and a PS4. I had cash in a pretty obvious drawer and it wasn't touched.

    It's almost as if they broke in, unlocked everything, and left.

    submitted by /u/julbr84
    [link] [comments]

    Simplisafe Security Breech?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    I had seen on another post on the Simplisafe forums where there was a security breech at Simplisafe: https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/installing-and-using-simplisafe/water-sensor-not-responding-n

    I then realized I had the same email address respond to me when I had reached out via the Contact Us Page on Simplisafe's site at the end of May: [customer-support@simplisafe.mypurecloud.com](mailto:customer-support@simplisafe.mypurecloud.com) They had asked me for my base serial number suggesting that it may need upgraded along with my address and telephone number. I provided only my serial number and never heard anything again. I even replied again and never heard anything. Fortunately I did not include my address and phone number like I was requested to.

    I sent a message to Simplisafe via their website Sunday morning (8/23/2020) inquiring about this but no response. I called Monday (8/24/2020). The customer service rep I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. I told her the date of the email chain and she checked their system and said she had no record of my email in May... which I said "Exactly because your website was compromised!" I told her other users had reported the same thing and had to have their entire system replaced. She said she doesn't see that anything was compromised but that she does need to send me a new base station because the modem needs replaced. She then transferred me to tech support to inquire about my sensors.

    Tech support thought I needed to "troubleshoot my sensors." I explained everything again which she appeared to not know about this. I offered to forward the email, ect... she put me on hold to reach out to someone else. She came back on and had me confirm the email date again, which I did. She came back a few more times, told me she was still researching and put me on hold again....As I am writing this email I have been on the phone with them for 39 minutes now and still on hold.... She came back at 41 minutes and asked me to send the email to them and that their escalation team would have to look at it and get back to me. She said I could respond to the email ticket with the email. Then she put me on hold again to create the ticket. She came back on at 49 minutes and asked me for my best contact number.... I asked if I would get an email to respond to with the ticket number so I could send the email I had and she said I might not. I asked for the ticket number and she said there wasnt one..... I said ok you just told me to respond with the email... how do I get it to you... and she said if they need it they will ask for it during the call. I was told the escalation team would call me today....

    A little while later on the same day Monday 8/24/2020, Simplisafe had finally responded to my inquiry I posted on their site and of course did not understand what I was talking about so I went into detail on my response and asked this to be escalated....

    Here we are 8/25/2020 Tuesday evening... I have not received any emails, phone calls, nothing.......

    If there was truly a security breech, Simplisafe should have sent an email to every single customer stating that if you sent an inquiry within a specific date range that they need to reach out to Simplisafe. The fact that this security breech has been swept under the rug is just scary! The fact that they are not telling their techs or customer service reps is disturbing as well unless if they are told to not admit anything when a customer calls in.

    Yes I should have checked to make sure the email was actually from Simplisafe but since I had done the inquiry through their Contact Us page on their website, I did not think twice about it. I will never make that mistake again. I was successfully phished.

    Here is that email chain:

    On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 3:21 PM \*redacted** wrote:*

    I appreciate you taking care of that.

    My base station serial number is \*redacted***

    On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 2:22 PM Dave from SimpliSafe <[customer-support@simplisafe.mypurecloud.com](mailto:customer-support@simplisafe.mypurecloud.com)> wrote:

    Hi \*redacted**,*

    Thank you for your email. My name is Jeovanni, a representative here at SimpliSafe. I would love to assist you! I understand that you are having trouble receiving your referral bonus.

    My apologies. I have applied for your free month of service. I believe that we need to send a new cellular module out to you for your Base Station. We have been slowly phasing out our 2g modules for a new, stronger 4g module. To get this order started, I just need your Base Station's serial number and your preferred shipping address.

    If you have any more questions, please write back to us or give us a call at 1-800-297-1605. I can also set up a direct call to you, just reply to this email with the best time and phone number where you can be reached and I set up a follow-up call. We're open from 9AM to Midnight, EST, seven days a week.

    Jeovanni

    --------------------------------

    SimpliSafe, Inc.

    [customer-support@simplisafe.com](mailto:customer-support@simplisafe.com)

    1-800-297-1605

    Monday - Sunday: 9am - 12am EST

    submitted by /u/tsmartin123
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I shop for POE systems?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    I need to purchase a system with probably 4-6 cameras. Looking for 4mp minimal. Is Reolink a good brand? Where should I shop other than Amazon? Any brands that I must stay away from?

    submitted by /u/Home_Excellent
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor security camera, wireless. Snow and cold resistant.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    Hi, looking for a reliable outdoor security camera that is able to take what our Canadian weather gives it. It is important that it is wireless as I don't want to run cables. Saw the heimvision HMD2 on amazon and it seems good. Just wondering if anyone can share their experience with it, and if they used in excrement winter conditions. I already have an indoor security camera from heimvision and quite like it. But this is my only experience with their products.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/HichySd
    [link] [comments]

    Never go with Vivint

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 07:17 AM PDT

    I think most people on this sub know this already, but I have been with Vivint for one month and I understand why people can't stand this company. Sharing my experiences so that others don't fall into the same trap.

    I bought a new house and signed up as a new customer last month. Was promised $100 "activation" + $49 for one month of service, followed by two free months. Way overpriced, but alright, I will give them a shot.

    Surprise, surprise, they "forgot" the two free months and charged my credit card (which magically was signed up for autopay). I have spent 5 hours on hold with Vivint over the last day. I keep calling in, getting told I need to speak with Customer Loyalty (Why? This is a Vivint billing error), and then nobody from Customer Loyalty picks up. Endless hold.

    Horrific, horrific service. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR VIVINT. Ring, Nest, Abode, Cove all do this better and cheaper.

    submitted by /u/MidnightMiasma
    [link] [comments]

    For anyone who has one of the amcrest cameras with starlight illumination, can you see passing cars clearly without blur using the color night vision?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    Any experience with SkyBell and Total Connect?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    I have a SkyBell and I have configured it to work within the Honeywell total connect service. I'm curious if anyone else is using this combination of products?

    It seems as if the SkyBell has trouble establishing a connection on demand and with detecting motion. This behavior seems to be getting worse. I even notice this when using the SkyBell app outside of Total Connect. Maybe the issue is with SkyBell entirely, but I would be curious if others could share their experience - good or bad.

    submitted by /u/drkbrew
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice [denmark]

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I am looking for a home security system. I run a full Google / nest system where I can - cameras, door bell and so on, but Google does not offer their Nest Secure in denmark. I could buy one home from us, but I'm not sure if it would work properly - I just want a home alarm, mostly for the door/window sensors. Does anyone know if secure would work, outside of US, and if not - any suggestions with other systems that works with Google assistant?

    I've looked in to ring, but it seems like the compatibility is with Alexa and very lackluster on Google assistant.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheRune
    [link] [comments]

    I can’t believe it is so simple to bypassing optex sensor

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    I bought an Optex WXI-AM, which is known to be one of the best sensor manufacturer. If you look at the documentation of the product, it appears very clear that someone who will simply bend down will not trig the alarm. I tried it out and i could walk to the sensor and touch it without any detection (while bending bellow 3 ft)

    I know that there is no magic, especially if we don't want to much false alarm, but it sounds like a major vulnerability for such product....

    submitted by /u/sharko21
    [link] [comments]

    Multifunctional Wireless Home Security Camera System 30% OFF!

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    Eyez-On Envisalink Solo and EnvisAlarm

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    Anyone owns, tried or have any feedback on either the newer Solo product or the monitoring service?

    We currently have an old DSC product installed. I would want to leverage the installed wired sensors. Unlikely add more sensors.

    I can see not having a panel being a potential issue for my wife unless we have a proxy, Bluetooth or some geofence option that turns off the alarm when close to home. Don't know if their app does that or not. Seems like a good self and maybe low cost monitoring option. We would likely complement that with other security options like Arlo cameras and smart locks. Leveraging separate solution that can hopefully link to Apple's HomeLink.

    All comments thought and input welcome.

    submitted by /u/LBarouf
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm Monitoring: Geoarm, Alarmclub?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    I'm interested in getting a HomeKit compatible alarm system, and the Honeywell Lyric is the only one that meets all my needs. I would like to buy it myself and not have to be locked into a contract, but only a few places sell the Lyric. Has anyone had any experience with GeoArm or AlarmClub? Their websites seem kinda sketchy and outdated. If not, are there any other companies that provide the same service? (Total Connect, Celluar Monitoring)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Westleydchen
    [link] [comments]

    Cp Plus ip camera bitrate and iframe settings

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 03:33 AM PDT

    Hey i recently bought an ip camera setup for my home. I bought 9 ip cameras(1080p) and 1 nvr. The quality is pretty bad. Whenever a car goes by it lags a lot. I am using the following settings(photo attached). My internet speed is 250Mbps. What should i do to increase the quality and decrease the laggy quality and bufferness.camera settings

    submitted by /u/shubham1520
    [link] [comments]

    Unauth and wireless cameras

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    House is protected by Ring

    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    We made an offer that was accepted on a house. It has a Ring doorbell on the front door and a sticker that says Protected by Ring on a back window. That's all the information I have at this time.

    If this was going to be your next house, what would you do?

    submitted by /u/FreeTuckerCase
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment