• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 26, 2020

    Home Improvement: Basement Office

    Home Improvement: Basement Office


    Basement Office

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    I created a space in the back corner of my basement for my home office.

    Quick gallery reference here.

    1. So my original temporary office didn't turn out so temporary and I needed a space to focus better on work. I decided to turn this back corner of the basement into my office area.
    2. First thing first in this process was controlling water damage. Months ago I fixed some drainage issues that fed water towards the house. This fixed the corner of the basement and prevented further mold growth. After months of observing no water, I thought it was safe to start the renovation and cleaning the walls.
    3. Next step - remove the drop ceiling. It was old, smelled, and was a highway for mice at one point in time in this old home. The drop ceiling was fairly easy to remove with a hammer and a crowbar. The tiles themselves I cut up with a utility knife for easy disposal. The whole thing in this 10x12 space only took up two trashcans. I also gained 6.5 inches of height by removing the drop ceiling. Here are the exposed joists.
    4. Next step was to do some rewiring to add an additional outlet, dimmer, and new wires to 4 pocket lights in the ceiling. We are doing exposed ceiling to give an industrial feel but to also maximize the basement ceiling height. After removing some of the paneling on the one side of the wall I found some old friends :( Here are the panels back up with new outlets and a dimmer switch ready.
    5. Now for my favorite AH HA moment. The outer parameter of the walls had old insulation and I didn't want that showing with my exposed ceilings. I removed them and replaced the insulation with spray on Great Stuff - AND IT'S BUG REPELLENT and it's PAINTABLE. Here it is applied.
    6. The lights I chose were these pocket lights from Amazon and they are excellent! I made bases in the ceiling to hold them. I also redid some of the duct work so that I can apply duct that is paintable.
    7. Ceiling painted a dark charcoal black! I used an electric spray gun from Amazon ($65) and it did very well. Two coats and the ceiling was finished.
    8. Next step was tackling the carpet. I removed the old carpet and it was so old it left a black crumble mess that used to be rubber. Some elbow grease and a few scrapers removed most of it.
    9. Now that the carpet is removed, it's wall painting day! I used the spray gun again to paint the walls because cinderblock walls have tons of micro holes that are impossible to fill in otherwise. This made quick work and looked pretty good after just a single coat. I later touched up lighter areas with a second coat using a roller.
    10. RedGuard the floor. The floor wasn't in perfect condition and I wanted to seal it. RedGuard was able to still stick to the floor and creates a waterproof barrier at the same time. After two coats it was plenty enough to protect the new floor and allow adhesion for my carpet tiles!
    11. Carpet is laid! Doing the seams between the old/new carpet was annoying but it makes the dividing of the room much more professional looking.
    12. New desk, new monitor and hardware. Oh - and a tree. The cats are going to love it...
    submitted by /u/isometrixk
    [link] [comments]

    Were my house painters lazy? Is this normal?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    They didn't paint the side or rear window trim. Is it normal to skip it? Told me it's a "California paint job". https://imgur.com/a/OfFfBPX

    submitted by /u/Penguuinz
    [link] [comments]

    Opossum entering through attic gable vent tubes

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    My neighbor told me she saw an opossum climb a wire along my wall and enter an attic gable vent tube this morning. I assume it is living in the attic. Maybe there is more than one? Who knows.

    Anyway what can I retrofit onto the tube so the opossum can exit but not return. I don't want to poison it (or them) because they are good to have around and I don't want anything rotting in the attic. I considering just removing the wire but I'd risk trapping the animal in the attic if it has no way of climbing down. I also don't want to just seal the tube as I won't know if the animal is inside or not.

    I used google and am calling these attic gable vent tubes. I will be putting mesh on all tubes once I am confident there is nothing inside the attic.

    submitted by /u/1tossawayplz
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing 40 inch bathroom vanity

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    I want to replace 40 inch bathroom vanity. I am seeing my choices in 39/40 vanities are small and comparatively expensive. The width between the 2 walls is about 40 inches. Any recommendation.

    submitted by /u/junagadh123
    [link] [comments]

    New construction? Doorless shower?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/KwDd1dc

    Not sure if this is ok to post...first timer...

    We're in the process of closing on our new construction home. A recent visit since we're closing Monday revealed that the shower in the master was setup in this configuration. I can't for the life of me understand how this could be at all practical. Working through the mechanics, if I'm standing backwards rinsing soap out of my hair, water will go down my elbow and all over the bathroom floor. Not to mention open air on wet body -- no thanks. Am I wrong here? I can't find a single picture online setup in this configuration. Seems the open end needs to be towards the back. I'm thinking I need to have discussion with the builder...

    submitted by /u/yojvek82
    [link] [comments]

    What to do about toilet, installing LVP

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm going to be installing some LVP flooring in 2 of my bathrooms.

    Currently there is sheet vinyl on the floor and I'm just going put the lvp over the top.

    So my question is how do I adjust the toilet for the change of floor height? I believe I need to pull the toilet out to install the flooring under the toilet, and redo the wax seal. Do I need to do anything to the flange or install anything new? Or would I be good just installing new wax and reinstalling the toilet?

    Thanks in advance for your help! You guys are always so helpful.

    submitted by /u/iflihi7462
    [link] [comments]

    Halp

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    I have a light that has a cord that I wanna connect a switch to what do I do

    submitted by /u/InsaneLocke
    [link] [comments]

    Portable/Window Air Conditioner Recommendations?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    Hello, I've always lived in a house with central air. I'm most likely moving into my first house next week, though it doesn't have AC. One day I'd like to have it installed, but not this year.

    Any good recommendation for portable or window units, whether they be at a hardware store or amazon? House is one floor, well insulated and about 1120 sqft.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Tarkov00
    [link] [comments]

    I designed and built a deck! Full photo journey inside!

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    other day while washing hands a little screen fell out and before I took notice it went down the drain but since the waters sprays out very heavy kinda like a jet stream causing the entire counter space to get wet it’s so frustrating any ideas what happen and how to fix it !?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    I couple weeks ago our bathroom faucet started spraying different it was a bit heavy and water would come out kinda side ways the the other day while washing hands a little screen fell out and before I took notice it went down the drain but since the waters sprays out very heavy kinda like a jet stream causing the entire counter space to get wet it's so frustrating any ideas what happen and how to fix it !?

    submitted by /u/Ranm102
    [link] [comments]

    Paint recommendations for an absolute rookie

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    Any advise for a good paint brand? Just bought our first house and the walls are primer white. I'm looking to paint our bedroom with three gray walls and one navy wall. Aside from painters tape/tarp/quality roller, any other must haves?

    submitted by /u/mstevens092120
    [link] [comments]

    Foundation for garbage can shed

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    Looking for a relatively easy way to make a foundation for a Suncast garbage can shed. I'm storing a generator in it.

    Looking to avoid having to lay concrete. Someone said if I tamp down the soil really well and lay quarry process on top, that should be good enough. Will that work? Any other suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Entire-Rush
    [link] [comments]

    Dumb electrical question but need advice

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    Need advice please. Wife wants me to hang lights above our bed but she bought lights that need to be directly hardwired.

    I purchased on Amazon a a lamp cord to direct connect to a plug https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SK6QDXM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_mgYrFb6JKT01P

    It has a blue wire and a pink wire. Which one do I connect to the Hot wire (Black) and to the white wire? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mannyray
    [link] [comments]

    VOC free / odorless paint

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    I usually use sherwin Williams paint. Just used some in a small closet. Couldn't stand the fumes from the emerald urethane paint on the trim. So I've been poling around online at paint.

    Has anyone tried ECOS paints? ECOSpaints.net. Or any other paints you can practically eat? Do they look ok and last long enough?

    submitted by /u/Grahf0085
    [link] [comments]

    Mini split wall unit over a bunk bed. Will I freeze my kid?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    It's the only wall that can fit a mini split. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Can I aim it more upwards so it's not directly on him?

    Some people online say to always put a split over the bed, but I feel like a bunk bed is just overkill.

    submitted by /u/jackalooz
    [link] [comments]

    Please help, my house smells like poo?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    Hello there. I moved into a rental home that was built in the 50s about two months ago. It has its dated quirks. I like scented candles and plug ins, and utilize a few in my living room (first room you walk into). But for a few weeks, whenever I walk into my front door and catch that first purest smell of home, it smells like a fresh shit!

    You know how sometimes you can tell when a restaurant/public bathroom has just been bleached and cleaned, but someone's definitely already broken it in with a shit? Smells of sterilized bleach but definitely poo smell underneath. And it's consistent - I imagine if one of my pets pooped inside (and they seriously will not, and I've looked everywhere, no poop) it would've changed smell or lessened over time? But this is the same smell, bleachy poop. It's not overwhelming but it's definitely present.

    It's driving us crazy! I'm gonna talk to my rental agency tomorrow, but what do you think I should ask them to look at? Do you think it's the vents? Septic? AC unit outside/inside?

    Also, just some details: I can't pinpoint it very well. Sometimes I think I smell it stronger when I'm breathing straight cold vent air. I have a chimney with a closed flue. I've had my pipes checked by the city and they said we probably have sediment build up in our old pipes causing water pressure issues. I have used a bleach tablet in my toilet tank, it is dissolved now, but the smell isn't strong in my bathroom. I opened the tank and it looked and smelled normal.

    Any ideas are really super appreciated. Never dealt with this problem before and it's quite embarrassing :/ thank you!!

    submitted by /u/wooobbuffet
    [link] [comments]

    Does this hardwood look like it can be refinished?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/MU05LGV.jpg

    My house was built in 1941. I've only exposed a small portion of the 12 x 12 foot kitchen. I realize that I won't see the full picture until I take up all of the vinyl. This is probably the worst of it, since it's where the water heater used to be. The floor is otherwise level.

    Here is a pic of the rest of the house for comparison.

    https://i.imgur.com/fkz8Oj2.jpg

    Is this refinishable? I was going to put down tile, but the tile guy said he would have to remove the hardwood to put down plywood before backer board and tile.

    submitted by /u/bandaloof
    [link] [comments]

    Washing machine (front load)

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 10:44 PM PDT

    Is it ok to continue using washing machine where the rubber that contains the area where clothes are placed is worn off?? Also, is the rubber replaceable?

    submitted by /u/frozonuggs
    [link] [comments]

    Just tiled backsplash, any options to adjust outlet height by 1/4”?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    Just finished tiling my backsplash and now it's somewhat obvious that my 3 kitchen outlets are 1/4" off from each other. I haven't grouted yet so I'm still considering busting the tile out to move the outlet but drywalling in such a small space sounds difficult. Since I need outlet extenders for the new backsplash I was wondering if there were any options so that I could move the outlet up or down a small amount.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/mynameiskeven
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical crack in foundation (40 year old house)

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    This crack is not conveniently accessible (it's under a deck that would require me to go under the crawl space). There's no direct access for rainwater to get to this. How important is it for me to have this patched up? I am presuming this crack has been here for a very long time (just discovered it in a very un-obvious location). Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/pbass_pick
    [link] [comments]

    Vinyl Plank - Should I cover this with a transition piece or re-do it?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    Here's a photo of what I'm dealing with: https://i.imgur.com/Ma3moFF.png

    I'm getting ready to put carpet on the stairs but when I installed the vinyl plank, I did it with the old carpet still on it. I stupidly didn't pull it off the tackless strip to get it more flush, so I just cut the plank as close to the carpet as possible. I honestly didn't realize it would leave this big of a gap. And yes, it's a big gap. I got out my quarter round and I don't think it'll even fit..

    I guess maybe it's just subjective at this point, but what do y'all think I should do? It's in the corner and at the "end" of where I laid down the plank, so it's not terribly difficult to take it out, the only problem is I have some baseboard to pull out, and there's a door frame next to it which I'll have to re-attempt (lots of swearing last time around).

    Alternatively I can put in a transition strip there, but would it look weird at the bottom of the steps? I'm leaning towards this as it's the easiest, but can see why people would want it flush.

    submitted by /u/iHaveADD
    [link] [comments]

    Replace Main Water Valve

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    I need to replace my main water valve as it won't shut off (and ultimately my city water company needs to replace the meter). Am I thinking if this to simply, or do I just need to shutoff the water coming into the house (using the city water valve by the street) and then literally unscrew/replace the two valves?

    I plan on using pipe tape, but it feels like these should be soldered?

    https://imgur.com/a/NxBCgSg

    submitted by /u/BuddyBing
    [link] [comments]

    best screw to install attic fan?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 10:08 PM PDT

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Installing an iLiving exhaust fan, but screws are not included.

    Hole are 9/32" x 1/2", so wanted to see what the best size screws to use?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/oldhousediyer
    [link] [comments]

    Extending an old concrete patio - how to do it right?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 06:14 AM PDT

    Hi folks,

    I have a project I'm planning out for either later this fall or early spring involving extending my incredibly small concrete front patio over a city/townhouse sized sloped "garden" that was overrun with weeds when I moved in. My goal is to create a larger usable space for a grill, some patio furniture, etc. This is the first big DIY project for me as a new homeowner so I figured I'd ask the experts for some advice on different directions I can take the project

    Current look: https://imgur.com/a/SrIYPWe

    Details:

    • Located in Philadelphia, PA - we get some of a freeze/thaw cycle but nothing too crazy
    • The concrete around the front all looks to be old, I do realize one of the options is to demo the existing slab and start fresh, however the previous owner decided to place the HVAC condenser unit out front - the moving of which would cause a lot of problems
    • The "garden" area is a 6ft x 14ft with a sloped grade from 12" to 40" top to bottom
    • I'd say the condition of the current slab/patio is "ok" with some cracking and patchwork done by the previous owner, its not pretty but functionally its usable

    Potential plans:

    • Addressing the current graded garden - My idea here is to use cinderblock, mortar & rebar to build up a retaining wall level or slightly above the current slab, then backfill the void with dirt, sand and crushed stone. I believe in my area as the retaining wall at its highest point would be under 48" I wouldn't need to work in a structural engineer or plans, but I do want to make sure that a standard cinderblock wall would be strong enough here
    • Drainage - The current setup has plenty of weep holes at the bottom of the grade, would continuing to use these be enough or should I account for further drainage plans? I do plan to bury some sort of pipe as I raise the grade which I can then connect the HVAC condenser's drain line to, thinking about using PVC but am unsure on the material
    • Railing - The concrete was poured around this railing, I'm planning to hack this railing out where the metal meets the concrete , possibly replacing with an extended one further down the line. I'm unsure what tool would be the best for this job/other use cases - I'm eyeballing an oscillating multi tool purchase for general use/many other projects, has anyone had a good experience trying to hack through cast iron with one or should I use an angle grinder?
    • Top Finish - This is the big question for me, I have a good idea on how to engineer the functional construction - but am a little lost on how to tie everything together cohesively between the new & the old. Two possible ways I see going are 1) build up the level of the new to match the old, then lay brick pavers over the old concrete + new fill, essentially putting in a new "floor". My concern here is if pavers would adhere to old concrete well? 2) build up the level of the new lower than the old, pour a new slab then pour a thinner coat over the old & new for a uniform surface. My concern here is the technical complexity of doing so, if I would need to drill rebar into the old slab and if adhesion issues would occur. This piece is where i'm struggling the most with, any advice is much appreciated
    submitted by /u/vaeatwork
    [link] [comments]

    Bolt size conversion help?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    I'm not very handy with this stuff so please pardon my ignorance. I got a set of metal cubby lockers for storage and I need to anchor them at the top, to my wall for earthquake (california) and childproofing. I have thick baseboards and the lockers are not centered on studs so I was thinking of mounting a 2" x 2" piece of wood to the studs behind the lockers (by the way, lag screws or wood screws?) and then attach the lockers to the 2x2. The lockers already have all these holes all over that I think fit Universal 10-25 Locker Bolts. Rather than drilling more holes in the lockers, I would like to find a screw that snugly fits these holes, to go through them (with a washer I think too) into the 2x2. I'm having trouble finding what the locker bolt size translates into in sheet metal or wood screw sizes and also not sure what kind of screw would be best. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/rebsrebs
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment