• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 27, 2020

    Home security: Looking for an Always-On Camera recording to the cloud.

    Home security: Looking for an Always-On Camera recording to the cloud.


    Looking for an Always-On Camera recording to the cloud.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    Hi Everyone,

    Looking for some help here. Moving to a new apartment that has a balcony, providing visibility to a parking spot that I would like to monitor. I'm hoping to find a good wireless solution to mount on my balcony and point towards the parking spot; it needs to be on 24/7 for monitoring but I would like the feed to be recorded and viewed entirely on a cloud, as opposed to keeping hardware at home.

    I know my request ventures a bit into the typical camera - to - vcr method but I'm looking to keep the hardware slim and smart :) .

    Thanks in advance!

    P.S.

    I currently have a Blink indoor camera that I've grown to love and can control using IFTTT/Google Home but otherwise I'm fairly new to home security. All tips are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/b1912
    [link] [comments]

    Moved to House with ADT / Bad Sales Experience - should I switch?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    We just moved into a house that has had ADT service for years and the previous owner raved about her experience both with the service team and with the security they provided.

    When we moved in, I called the number and had a horrible experience. I got a sales guy who, with no real context or explanation, tried to upsell me to a new system. He essentially gave me the choice between the existing service with modifications (which I would have to pay for) or a new, cellular system (that I would have to pay more for). Ironically, there is no cell service where I am, so that's a useless upsell anyway.

    I told him that I didn't want either and I just wanted to turn back on the system that I already have. He told me that I couldn't do that. So, I just told him that I would talk to my wife and get back to them. I figured I would just hang up and call back and start over again.

    Then, 30 minutes after I got off the phone, I got an e-mail saying I was getting an in-person appointment in six weeks, I got a docusign contract, and I got a bill for $140 . This is after I said "NO" to the service.

    I then reached out to them on Twitter to explain the situation and to ask to speak to a manager, and I've just been told to call the 1800 number.

    My alternative is a local security company that comes highly recommended and uses Alarm.com products. My only concern there is that I already have all this ADT hardware sitting around that I don't think they can leverage and I don't want to have even more hardware. I'm going to call and get a quote from them and start from there, but would love any guidance or help this sub can provide.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/finsta_1144
    [link] [comments]

    Consumera

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 11:59 PM PDT

    Consumera is a platform that helps you make decisions to identify the best home warranty plans, home security systems, auto warranty and pest control, etc. With many options available in the market, consumers might be confused in making the right choices. Hence, Consumera is one best place to know more about the services provided through various blogs and reviews and also to learn about different plans and policies. They give insights to best companies providing the above services as well to make your work easy. Find more information at https://consumera.com/.

    submitted by /u/homesecurity_cmr
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a house with a broken ADT WA3001 system - should I fix it?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    Hi, so bought a house with this ADT system that was off (3 keypads dead) and then I found the power for it so I connected it. The keypads (LCD displays) attempt to start in safe mode, give an error and says open circuit. I don't want to pay for ADT monitoring but wouldn't mind having it just to make noise if someone breaks in. I know if I call ADT, they won't want to fix it without a contract. So, is it worth fixing and how could I get it fixed if so? Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/GyromiteRob
    [link] [comments]

    A wireless system for my back yard...

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    I have a disagreeable neighbor.

    I'm not worried about a home break-in, I just want to know when he, his dog or his kids are in my back yard and what they're doing.

    I'd like to go wireless, outdoor and battery powered.

    Blink? Wyze? Arlo is more money than I want to spend. What should I be looking at?

    submitted by /u/rubyfroom
    [link] [comments]

    New construction; DSC vs. Elk?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    All-

    Going to be starting new construction; home builder's alarm/AV vendor works primarily with DSC and Elk. I'm looking for a monitored, cell-using, battery-backed system. Keypads, breakage/smoke/CO2 sensors, siren, etc., hardwired as much as possible. Monitoring company TBD.

    I'll be running a Unifi setup separately with a video doorbell and a variety of cameras to a local NVR. I'm not looking for a total home automation solution.

    I've found that the newer DSC Neo systems talk alarm.com. Not quite sure yet on the Elk systems. We'll have smart/keypad doorlocks as well. I'm trying to see if 1) folks have a strong opinion on DSC vs. Elk in general and 2) if either one will give me some basic status or even control of appropriate smart doorlocks, thermostats, etc. I realize I said I'm not looking for total home automation, just looking for any pluses (or, really, openness) of one platform vs. the other. And, I think alarm.com integration will give me that status/control over compatible devices.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/texas_max
    [link] [comments]

    Add siren in basement to DSC 1832

    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    I currently have a DSC 1832 alarm system installed in my house with 2 PK5500 keypads. 1 keypad is in the basement suite and set up for a tenant. There is currently only 1 siren set up in the front of the house so when the basements alarm triggers it is inaudible to the tenant.

    Is there a way I can add a siren in the basement suite? A wireless solution would be preferable.

    submitted by /u/streetcrabs
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment