• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 12, 2020

    Home Improvement: Pandemic Garage Renovation

    Home Improvement: Pandemic Garage Renovation


    Pandemic Garage Renovation

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    Garage Renovation Album

    The pandemic gave me plenty of time to tackle a project I've been wanting to do for 4 years now - finally renovated our 2 car garage. I took a ton of pics so thought I'd share in case anyone wanted to follow the journey.

    This is 95% done now. I have to swap out the outlets and switches still, and we have a ceiling rack and tire wall rack to go up, but other than that, it is mostly "done."

    The floor epoxy I used was from ArmorPoxy: https://armorpoxy.com/ My garage is ~750sqft so I used one of their "Master Kits" and one "Add on" kit. I also purchased extra flake online (Rust Oleum mix and pure red).

    Slat wall was purchased from DIYHomeCenter.

    All other materials are nothing special. Sherwin Williams paints, and general lumber/hardware.

    submitted by /u/pointdablame
    [link] [comments]

    My mom is moving out of her house of 45 years...we have found a variety of household fire extinguishers all expired, all unused. How do I dispose of them?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:06 PM PDT

    If you're going to do any slab work, don't be cheap like me....

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    Heavy equipment mechanic here: been renovating the master bathroom on this 80's home for a few months now while doing several other projects since we bought in December of 2019. Things like new toilet flange, LVP flooring, new vanity with stone countertop, replaced all drywall to save myself weeks of tearing 2 layers of painted-over wall paper out, opened the door frame since it's mine and the wife's and attached to our bedroom, soldered adapters to go from copper to PEX lines in the shower area, etc. All DIY 1sts for me.

    Since I'm a mechanic and have a field truck full of tools I own, when I got to the old drain that's about 1" from the wood frame and under a slab, I kinda stopped working on it for a while because I've never had to remove concrete and basically stressed over it for a couple of months. I went after it a few weeks ago with a 4lb mini sledge and a long punch (for driving pins/bearings on heavy equipment) and got about 2" of concrete busted but made a huge mess with pieces flying everywhere all over the new bathroom - and yes, I placed drop cloths on bathroom fixtures and thick rolled cardboard over the new flooring to protect it all - it was just frustrating me and I just felt defeated. So I decided to quit being cheap and spent ~$50 at Home Depot and rented a Makita 20lb rotary hammer and moil point bit to knock the slab out to where the new drain is going to go and I gotta say, I wish I had done this 3 weeks ago when I started swinging a hammer. I rented it for the minimum 4 hours, and in 2 hours I was dropping it off. Done! Lesson learned even after turning wrenches for over 10 years. If there is a tool for the job that's available - get it!

    The album link posted is progress from January until today. Like I said, this bathroom isn't the only thing that I have done in this house but it certainly has gotten the most of my attention. I'm proud to say that everything in this room is from my own work but there have been days I've often wondered why I tackled it all, lol! I'm sorry for the long-winded post.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/VSFUSAk

    submitted by /u/Rubixdimension
    [link] [comments]

    DIY board and batten wall

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/LwCE0Sy

    I've been wanting to do this in my house for some time now, finally took the plunge! Materials we bought included 1x6 pine boards for the horizontal rails, 1x3 pine boards for the vertical boards, and a 1x2 pine board for the top ledge (would've preferred to use MDF board, but Home Depot did not have all the sizes we needed), 2 inch finishing nails, liquid nails, caulk, a caulk gun (since we didn't have prior) and a quart of paint (ottertail from behr). All together, supplies cost just about $100. We took the existing floor board off, used a dremel to cut the corner of the joining floorboard. We painted the whole wall and boards to save time later. the horizontal boards were attached with nails only into studs. To determine the length between vertical boards, we took the length in inches, subtracted the total width of all 6 boards, and divided by 5 total spaces. The vertical boards were attached with liquid nails and nails since most did not fall on studs. the top ledge was attached with nails and liquid nails as well. we spackled and sanded all the nail holes and caulked all of the gaps. We finished off with a final coat of paint and reattached the faceplates. Ta-da! Already planning another room with a similar project :) very easy and inexpensive for a professional (ish) looking product.

    Helper cat optional, but very worth it for morale.

    submitted by /u/PAforbabies
    [link] [comments]

    Differences between EU and US homes?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 02:52 AM PDT

    First time home owner soon and I've been heavily reading up on this and other subs for renovation guides/ideas. One thing I kind of noticed and now have to always keep in mind is that the applicability of some tips is limited, as houses are built differently in US and EU (for me specifically, Germany).

    This seems to go beyond just minor house layout/cosmetics and in what cables are used, how the norms and standards are. E.g. a tip that is often said here is to just pull conduit for cables everywhere because it's so easy to go through walls. It finally clicked for that the basement ceiling and inner walls are essentially "open", mainly wood construction that is closed up. Whereas in Germany I have to go through a quite some concrete and/or bricks to open up walls, so the effort in work and time to lay more cables and conduits is multiplied.

    Now that this realization hit, I'm wondering what other major differences in home construction you know and I should be aware about between US and EU?

    submitted by /u/FashislavBildwallov
    [link] [comments]

    Wanted to share master bath remodel

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    Before pics

    I'd never done tile before this and not sure how much I'd want to do after lol. 12x24 tiles are tricky and it took me 2/3 of the way thru to get a groove going with it. The floor wasn't bad but the shower walls were a bitch especially trying to get everything to work with the mosaic strip and the niche.

    The rot you see is from water seeping in thru the cinder block wall behind where the mirrors were (the mural covers a huge mirror). This has been leaking for years I'm assuming and we've been in the house about 5 now.

    Bathroom remodel pics

    additional pics

    I ended up gutting the entire thing and ran my own plumbing and wiring making sure to check codes first. All outlets are ran to GFI plugs. Oh and in case anyone notices the drain for the shower in the floor framing pic, yes I totally missed putting a P-trap in the drain. Fortunately I was thinking about it before I poured the self leveler and cut a hole in the subfloor to fix it. Would have really sucked to have missed that.

    Replaced the old door that opened in and put in a soft close/open pocket door. Old shower was only 2x2 and the new one is 4x6 where the tub was. Oh and the main part of the floor is heated now as well.

    I framed houses when I was in my 20s and worked other construction jobs during that time but at 50 have forgotten a lot of it lol. I have mad respect for the tile and drywall guys out there because doing that right is a serious art form. Took me about 4 months to do this after work and all that. Budgeted about $7k and it took over $10k in materials.

    submitted by /u/MarineBri68
    [link] [comments]

    1957 Stables Renovation

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    Progression pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/qU5lmTO

    When we moved into our house, it had a beautiful stables. Unfortunately I had no idea how badly termite ridden and rotten it was. I renovated it right back to how it must have looked in 1957.

    This project took 3 years, all occasional weekends. It was in a few notable phases:

    1) Repair Electric. The underground electric wire was busted so I replaced it with a buried cable. This gave power and all the original wiring still worked, apart from the fact that someone wired Live to White and Common to Earth. Guess the Live wire died first. Now I can power tools though there is a voltage drop under heavy load.

    2) Remove all the rotten shingles and rotten wood.

    3) Repair the structure, with a lot of sistering and use of varythane to make sure rot doesn't spread further.

    4) Spray for termites.

    5) Replace a ton of rotten trim so everything looks nice.

    6 New cedar shingles with a ridge vent and soffit vents. This should help the roof last a lot longer by limiting high temperatures in the attic space. It's comfortable in there even on a very hot day.

    7) Filler and primer.

    8) Topcoat. Purchased an airless spray gun which is incredible. Never going back.

    It was a labor of love and extremely expensive because cedar has become pricey. Probably $5000 overall but don't tell the wife!

    One day we may even get horses.

    Hope you enjoyed reading, happy to answer any questions!

    submitted by /u/thebemusedmuse
    [link] [comments]

    Remodeling house and took off return vent where they framed the ceiling lower and saw this.

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/463HohZ

    I know nothing about how this should work, but I would guess there should be ducting running to the large vent and the three vents to the bedrooms. Instead it's just framed and the sides and top are drywall. The two wholes on the right down the way are for two bedrooms, to the left which can't be seen would be another just like that

    submitted by /u/Jfdelman
    [link] [comments]

    Moisture barrier for foundation/crawl space

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/5aFRFN4

    Is there anything I could paint on the exterior brick to keep moisture out of the crawl space? Or do I need to put down some type of poly barrier? Has anyone done this before?

    submitted by /u/mikeys_hotwheels
    [link] [comments]

    Fix or replace brick planter?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! Looking for your wisdom on next steps for this planter.

    I have this brick planter in my front yard that is totally falling apart. I plan on taking the small stones out of it to better assess the inside condition as well. So my question for y'all:

    Replace the planter.

    • Was considering building a wooden planter in its place. If I do will I have to re-pour a foundation for it?

    Repair the planter.

    • Might be possible to remove the stones, get the bricks back in a good square order and tuck point the mortar joints but am unsure.

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/YoICouldBeWrongBut
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure if right area but I need help with cloudy well water, it's not air!

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 10:03 PM PDT

    Evening everyone!

    I have well water that gets into a pressure tank, then runs through a sediment spin filter.

    The other day i was power washing my sidewalk and water stopped . I believe my tank ran empty.

    I went downstairs and saw the sediment filter was clogged with black grey gunk, i emptied it out and turned water back on.

    Sand and grit kept getting in the filter, so i empty it out again.

    Today i decided to empty my pressure tank and refill it a few times to clean the system out. Now all my drinking water has a cloud in it. Any idea how to fix it? Should i let the tank settle before using any water? New tank?

    submitted by /u/DudeJesse
    [link] [comments]

    Dehumidifier recommendation?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:53 PM PDT

    The top Wirecutter pick isn't available anymore.

    I need 70 pints, and something I can attach a drain hose too.

    Any help appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Lilsebastian3434
    [link] [comments]

    Strange Window Reno Decision To Make!!

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    We have original 1968 windows and we'd like to renovate them. However, my husband and I can't decide on what we should do with a seven-pane large window. The support beam isn't in the center of the windows, so we're concerned that if we do 2,4, or 6 large picture windows in the existing opening that it will look off-center. We've never done a big project like this and want to make sure we're not making any mistakes. How important is it for the windows on either side of the beam to be symmetrical? Or should we consider closing the window opening so it can be even? The measurements on either side of the beam are 130" and 102." We're also changing the other smaller windows on the other side of the house too.
    House Photo
    Photo from bottom of driveway

    submitted by /u/BecksZame
    [link] [comments]

    [Request] Tell me about your Appliances

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 12:30 PM PDT

    I am going to reno my kitchen, a full gut job. I have no idea what to do with appliances. Long term, french door vs. side by side refrigerator won't make a difference. Gas vs. electric oven each have pros and cons. Dishwashwer, many now are quiet, but what makes Bosch standout? Laundry, you got front load vs. top load but what else really makes a difference?

    I'm thinking the kitchen big 3 Oven, Fridge & Dishawasher. Also Laundry, Washer Dryer.

    I want to see if we can get a big conversation going, because when I search appliances, I see a lot of posts with few comments. Everyone reading this can add to the conversation. This exactly how they say in school, there are no stupid answers.

    Share whatever you like:

    What do you have now? What do you like or dislike?

    What would you want to upgrade? Within a budget, or no budget.

    Is it worth getting a set or mixing and matching as long as you stay consistent on color?

    What brand stands out ahead of the competition? What brand will you absolutely not touch?

    What is worth the extra $200, or $500, is it ever worth the extra $1,000?

    submitted by /u/jostrons
    [link] [comments]

    Open all windows every so often?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    I've heard that it's a good idea to open all the windows in your house every so often, to maintain the windows. Something about drying out moisture from around the windowsills? Or making sure the hardware get some "exercise" maybe?

    Anyone know if this is actually worthwhile? If so, how often and for how long should you open them?

    EDIT: Note that these are typical hand-crank casement windows on a house.

    submitted by /u/buddyjstewart
    [link] [comments]

    AC can’t keep up... why?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    I rent a house, and the AC here can't keep up if the temp outside hits 85. The landlord's been here five times. He's has a technician out three times. They've replaced parts, cleaned the outdoor unit, checked things, climbed on the roof, and done everything possible save for buy a more expensive unit.

    We've had the thermostat set at 71 for weeks, and yesterday our house was 83 by 8pm. It stayed hot much of night.

    Any ideas what could be wrong?

    I know the obvious answer is "replace the AC unit", but they've checked off every box and the thing is running "as well as can be". The vents blow cold air. We just can't keep the house cool.

    Side note: My wife and I are both partially disabled, myself much more so as I'm waiting for spinal surgery to fix broken surgical hardware. We both have heart issues (I've had two valve replacements and a pacemaker), so being in a hot house every day could raise the stakes a bit, and we can't afford to move.

    submitted by /u/PyroBob316
    [link] [comments]

    Almost complete bathroom renovation

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:45 PM PDT

    My Memorial Day weekend project that took six weeks is now almost finished. I learned a lot, including which skills I do not possess (tiling) and which things I never want to do again (tiling again, plumbing maybe).

    I have some trim carpentry left to do (baseboards and quarter round, the cove moulding in the corner by the sink), and I need to order and hang the mirrors. I may hang some shelves above the toilet as well, but that's not happening any time soon.

    Total project cost was approximately $3700, I think. I lost track of some of the "fuck I need one $2 piece" trips and the "now I can return $50 worth of unused supplies" trips. I did every bit of it alone, except reconfiguring the drawers in the buffet and some of the reconfiguring of the drain lines (a friend of my boyfriend is a master carpenter and contractor and was staying with us for a few days, so he took charge in there for a long weekend. Fine. I needed a break).

    Demoed the floor (peel and stick over porcelain tile over 1/2" mortar bed), removed the vanity and vessel sinks, removed the backsplash and mirror, swapped out all the lighting, laid a new tile floor, painted, cut new custom baseboards, installed beadboard and trim, base, quarter round, renovated an old 1940s/50s buffet into a vanity (sanded, stained, poly'd, painted all the hardware, painted the insides of the drawers and cabinets, cut the sinks, reconfigured the drawers to fit the plumbing), dropped in new cast iron sinks and installed new oil rubbed bronze Victorian style fixtures, new towel bars, and artwork. Phew!

    Painful project, but I absolutely love the way it turned out.

    Album: http://imgur.com/a/kR2mZBs

    submitted by /u/Final-Law
    [link] [comments]

    Removed deck ledger, rotted out spot on the house framing

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 08:28 PM PDT

    Yikes. The home we bought three years ago had a very worn deck we knew we would need to replace. We decided since all our vacations are canceled this summer it was the time to do it. We got the entire deck down easy enough and started to explore and planning our new deck. Well we found some problem spots. I am curious if anyone else had dealt with this... and basically how screwed are we? Any thoughts or advice appreciated. Here is a picture: https://imgur.com/a/L6cZXhM?s=sms

    submitted by /u/bemorecreativetrolls
    [link] [comments]

    5/8" drywall screw size

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    For 5/8" drywall, I've seen 1-3/8" (or longer) screws recommended. Neither HD or Lowes has this size. On the other hand, USG Sheetrock's own installation guide says:

    On 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" thick panels, use 1-1/4" Type W Bugle Head Screws

    Has anyone had issues using 1-1/4" screws on 5/8" drywall?

    submitted by /u/NeedsHootenanny
    [link] [comments]

    Removing mold on sealant around bathtub

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    We live in a rented apartment and despite our best efforts at using the window to let moisture out we are seeing some black mold growth on the sealant.

    Any suggestions on how to remove this?

    Mold around bathtub on seal

    submitted by /u/OnceUponACrinoid
    [link] [comments]

    Drain dehumidifier

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    I have a dehumidifier in the basement but currently no place to drain. (No floor drain) I just empty the bucket every day and would like a more autonomous solution. I have a pipe nearby that drains directly into the floor. It looks something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-4-in-PVC-Sewer-and-Drain-3-Way-Sanitary-Tee-4P09C/100112172 , where the horizontal intake comes from the house, the bottom goes into the floor and where the top has another screwed on cap like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-4-in-PVC-DWV-MIPT-Cleanout-Plug-C4818HD4/100344823 . Unfortunately the pipe is like 4-5" in diameter and is PVC. I was thinking about adding another splitter or something at the top like https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-4-in-x-2-in-PVC-DWV-Hub-x-Hub-x-Hub-Sanitary-Tee-C4811HD442/100678011 , then drilling a hole and putting a hose in there for draining. Is this the right way to go about this? Is there a better alternative?

    submitted by /u/TwistXJ
    [link] [comments]

    Portable evaporative coolers

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    Will they cool a room or will they just be a fan but blows cooler air? I realize that the windows need to be open, if the outside temperature is hotter than internal, will it negate the work done by the evaporative cooler since there will be hot air coming in, but the cooler will cool that air?

    submitted by /u/h4ppidais
    [link] [comments]

    Sealing holes behind oven

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    Is it safe to use spray foam or steel wool to seal gaps behind gas oven? Am also considering flex seal but have never used it before. Goal is rodent prevention. Gaps are about 2 inches off floor. We haven't had any issues, but exterminator said we should proactively seal it.

    submitted by /u/lma112519
    [link] [comments]

    Patio runoff causing major damage

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    Water Damage

    I purchased a home a few months ago and recently with more rain I've noticed massive amounts of damage to a wood shed. It's attached to my house, placed on a concrete patio. The water pools on that end and is soaking nonstop into the bottom.

    Does anyone have any sort of recommendation as to what I can do to fix this?

    My only thought to make a permanent fix would be to do a half wall/quarter wall of cinder blocks underneath the wood.

    submitted by /u/Antony8418
    [link] [comments]

    Slab house plumbing.

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    Long story short, I have a slab house and I want to switch where the toilet and the bathtub are. I haven't pulled up the floor yet to see but videos show the lines would be under the slab. Is it possible to switch them without breaking the slab?

    submitted by /u/_blemp_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment