• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Home Improvement: Amazon Home Warranty is a FRAUD - where can I post to let others know?

    Home Improvement: Amazon Home Warranty is a FRAUD - where can I post to let others know?


    Amazon Home Warranty is a FRAUD - where can I post to let others know?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    Do NOT use Amazon Home Warranty. They are not affiliated with Amazon at all. I've signed up with them for quite some time now, around 6 months. I have tried to file several claims but each time their representative gave me bull crap excuses.

    I think they're trained to make it so difficult for customers to file a claim so they wouldt not have to honor it.

    One of the excuses when I first called in a while back was "you're filing it too soon" even after the allowable grace period. I had to call them several times just for them to talk to me. Each time I had to wait on the phone, some over 30 minutes, 45 minutes.

    One other time, I tried to file a claim for a plumber but they sent out an electrician. I lost the $60 service call fee because the electrician they sent out couldn't even fix the issue and took the check. Amazon Home Warranty never reimbursed me for it.

    I had 15 properties with them and recently they claimed that my payments were past due when in fact they charged my card. So then I've tried to call back several times, each time waiting, and they said they will find out and get back to me. They never get back to you. They are extremely fraudulent and this company should be shut down immediately.

    I'm here to make this known and warn others about this crooked company.

    Let me know where else I can post this to get the word out. If you know if any other pages to post please let me know.

    submitted by /u/ezcoozi
    [link] [comments]

    Turning my yard into a nice lawn, one of many covid projects

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    Got my house in November and wanted to work with my back yard. I was laid off in April so had tons of time to do it all myself. Imgur album shows the process, buy a quick summary is below as well.

    Started by clearing all the crap out of my lawn, brought in 12 yards of dirt to raise the lower part and get a good base for grass, planted seed (I forget the exact mix but was from my local garden centre) along with a starter fertilizer. Watered religiously for weeks and got awesome results. Planning an overseed in fall as well to help fully fill in the grass and crowd out the weeds.

    http://imgur.com/a/81OdHPu

    submitted by /u/mattyboi4216
    [link] [comments]

    New fence gets a doggy gate

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    Built a new fence and decided (with my neighbor) to install a doggy gate so our pups can play together whenever we want. This is my side but I also have the same hinges lock door on the neighbors side. This allows us to both decide if it's ok for the pups to be playing.

    Edit: per request dogs actually utilizing their new magic portal of friendship

    submitted by /u/HuskerATX
    [link] [comments]

    Harbor Freight Recalls the Jack Stands Meant to Replace the Recalled Jack Stands

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:23 PM PDT

    Acciedntally pushed in 1 shower tile. How should I fix this?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    Taking a bath, rested my foot against opposite end, moved big toe and this happened.

    What kind of repair am I looking at? Is this an easy fix or a contractor kind of thing?

    Addendum: House was built in 1978 and the tub and shower are believed to be original.

    submitted by /u/Hastur13
    [link] [comments]

    I replaced some light switches with occupancy sensors a few years ago and they’ve been a huge hit with everyone. It’s a nice electrical project that’s not too hard if you’re comfortable working with power.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    Just thought I would pass it on. Like the title says, I replaced the light switches in rooms like the garage, closets, an entry hallway and the laundry room and everyone always loves them when they come over. I got these on Amazon specifically because they had a manual on/off override so if I'm working in the garage I can just turn them on (link below, wouldn't let me hyperlink it). There's nothing worse than working under the car and the lights go off!! I've had the current set installed for about 3 years with no issues. https://imgur.com/a/JWj051q

    TOPGREENER in-Wall PIR Motion Sensor Light Switch, Occupancy Sensor Switch, On/Off Override, 4A, 500W, Single Pole, Neutral Wire Required, TSOS5-W, White, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M01SVG9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OUobFbE9GNV8R

    submitted by /u/N8dizle
    [link] [comments]

    Quarantine Project

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:00 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I've been seeing all sorts of quarantine projects lately, and so I decided to share my pictures as well for our outdoor garage/patio area. I'm certainly no handyman, so I'm sure there are some areas that could be majorly improved, but this gave me something to do for a few weekends at least.

    Edit: I saw in the sidebar (after the fact) that I should detail my project from start to finish. So...from the beginning:

    My wife and I decided to clean up this area behind our house and make it an outdoor hangout spot.

    • First thing was pulling out a bush that used to reside in the dirt patch that you see in the pictures. That was...not fun.
    • Next up was bricking the area down to try and match the rest of the space (again, not professional, so this is probably the most amateur looking area, but it at least is stable and works).
    • The next day was the makeshift fence line. I bought a couple landscape timbers along with the IKEA barriers, a couple bags of Quikrete and gravel and went to town. This ended up being a longer project than I thought as I grossly overestimated how fast I could dig holes for all this stuff.
    • The next day we then put up the arch way over the walking path, just to give it an "entrance" feel, and started figuring out the solar lights (which are a bit tough to see in the pictures, but you can see them there if you really look).
    • The following day after that, we put up the shelves you see on the garage. That just required getting some larger shelf mounts for underneath and then putting it all together on the wall.
    • Finally, we moved the furniture (which is all covered because we were supposed to be getting storms that night) out and got it all set up. If people are curious enough to see what it looks like in use, I can create an update post to show that once we get it put to use.

    That's pretty much it. I glossed over a few other details (Roundup on the brick, pressure washing at least 15 times because of all the dirt and mud) so if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer!

    Enjoy the progress pics!

    Imgur Link

    submitted by /u/XMSquiZZ360
    [link] [comments]

    Reinforcing a concrete basement...with WOOD?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    Ok, I know nadda about reinforcing leaning in basement walls except that I have two walls leaning in 2.5". Sill plate never was anchored to the poured concrete walls, and probably doesnt have rebar inside the concrete just like my neighbors (1953 postwar build in South Dakota) I did some googling about foundations and frost lines and I believe my basement was not dug low enough below the frost line. FUN FACT: My floor is a floating concrete slab that is NOT sitting ontop of my undersized footers! My footers are visible inside the basement for 4". I only say undersized because one of the salesmen suggested they should stick out more. Idk what that means.

    I have two foundation repair companies and a handful of concrete general contractors with LLC type business to call on here. Unfortunately I was warned off one main company by a man I trust who used to work for them, and the second company sales person clearly didnt know jack about what he was talking about, even I could tell that which means that's super bad. Both big companies say steel I beams inside from joist to ground and crack filling, Maybe even wall anchors on the one wall with enough yard outside it (other wall is close to neighbors) I assume they have a plan to anchor that sill plate.. but neither want to dig out the ground for waterproofing but will for much more $. Both around 10k + more if I opt in for digging. My googling says that rarely this steel I beam reinforcing has damaged the joists and subfloor. Rarely. However that worries me, my house framing isnt great and hasn't been treated well. Bad notching of joists, etc. I'm not confident in anything that depends on my floor joists...

    Anywho, locally owned & operated company was the only one who was talking a dig out, fill cracks, waterproof membrane, bracing on both sides of walls for straightening. 9k. But with WOODEN beams instead of steel. I asked why wood and I was told it was to keep costs down to be able to compete with competitors as well as doing the dig n membrane which I was assured is mandatory in proper care for this situation. I agree that the membrane sounds required but hey, what do I know? He also said yeah the wood eventually breaks down in like a lifetime away (I forgot to ask but I guess I assume he wraps the wood in that waterproofing membrane too) which then can be replaced. At a lower cost again.

    Ok so I'm seriously considering wood guy as stupid as that sounds?! Steel obviously sounds better, but I think that membrane has GOT to be the way to go plus wood man would add in exterior draintile and a sump pump for an additional 3k. I know foundation work is not a place to be cheap but I have to be realistic.

    Talk to me! I super hope someone who does this kinda thing for a living chimes in but I'd love to hear any bodies opinion or experiences. Thanks!

    (I would have added a photo but I dont know how, sorry folks)

    submitted by /u/Escape_Inevitable
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Basement drywall/framing/doors

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    Hope you're all safe and sound. Thank you in advance for being a great source for learning and making our home better.

    I'm a beginner DIYer but am able to learn pretty quick. I have done mainly plumbing, painting, flooring. This project I am attempting to embark on, however, seems more challenging.

    I'd like to repair the drywall in the stairs going down to the basement and then paint it later for a clean look.

    Add framing and some accordion doors to cover my heater/boilers. Basically make a pathway into the main basement area.

    How would I go about fixing all theis broken drywall? Remove broken areas, compound, tape, then compound again and paint after drying?

    How difficult is framing a wall/door in this area?

    This will be my first at both tasks but I am up for the challenge. I've done the rest of the basement walls and flooring in the photos if you'd like an idea of things I've recently tried.

    Thank you and look forward to your thoughts!

    Photos: https://m.imgur.com/a/lhomrR6

    submitted by /u/iforgettobreathe
    [link] [comments]

    I know nothing about fixing doors and their frames

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    I have a roommate that moved out and her door frame has some cat damage. I have a picture of the frame here. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to replace it. Is it just the trim, or is it connected to the frame on the inside? I would hire a professional but I'd much rather have it done myself so that I can learn something.

    Edit: a word

    submitted by /u/Yuwego19
    [link] [comments]

    How to paint this?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:41 PM PDT

    So I'm in the process of buying a home that has a paint texture I've never seen. This texture is in most of the rooms of the home and it's so ugly. I am interested in painting the walls myself, but I don't know how I would get rid of this texture. Anyone familiar with this and covering it up?

    Thanks!

    Image: https://imgur.com/a/rvkzds0

    submitted by /u/Lilspic3girl
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen and half bath remodel

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    Right before covid hit, we ordered our kitchen cabinets. Since the factory was in South Dakota, they weren't locking down so we still received them. With me working at home 100% we figured might as well install them. We started in April and are finishing up the trim now (I'm trying to conjure up nerves to tackle the crown)

    https://imgur.com/a/UmiHPVl

    For those wondering on costs:

    Permit: $300

    Cabinets: $21k , all maple including inlay, 3/4" box

    Counters: $3500 black galaxy

    Appliances: $5300 Frigidaire professional, minus $1000 in MIR minus $1600 selling our old ones,

    Electrician: $2500 (cans, new circuit, Whole-home surge, new outlets, under cab lights, attic outlet)

    Misc Supplies, shiplap, new tools: $1000

    Drywaller: $400

    We had a local quote of 50k from a "do it all" kitchen designer, and $24k for just cabinets and counter tops (no labor, etc)

    Location: Illinois

    Link to photos and project here:

    https://imgur.com/a/UmiHPVl

    submitted by /u/Bbguy5
    [link] [comments]

    Looking at a home but the previous owners smoked.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    The guy who bought it and is fixing it up said he is going to use an ozone eliminator machine. Is this good for getting rid of the cigarette smell and will it keep the smell away for at least a year? There is no carpet in the house only tile floor.

    Edit: I'll only be renting this place for minimum of a year(I'm in college). I've gotten the landlord to prime every wall and ceiling with an alcohol based primer along with new paint. Here's a list of everything else he will be doing to the house: New ceiling fans, air vents, doors, paint, new vanities in bath, new toilets, new vanity lights, new bifold closet doors, new kitchen counters, painted cabinets in kitchen, back splash, ozone smoke eliminator.

    submitted by /u/nicksouthworth
    [link] [comments]

    Repurposing an old headboard

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    I found an old headboard on Craigslist, sanded it down, painted it white and added it to my closet for extra storage. The sliding doors were missing so I used a florescent light cover from the local hardware store and added leftover knobs from another project. What do y'all think?

    https://imgur.com/a/Q8AAcIt

    submitted by /u/AustinBlack091716
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have a hidden compartment under the step of 1925 home? Or is it just part of the architecture? (Pictures)

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    I have this weird step and a recent Redditor finding vintage nudes in their wall has got me more curious. All the steps are made of a single tread expect this one, it's made of four pieces of wood. It's the fourth step going to the second level. A nail on this tread constantly floats up and I keep pounding it back down. I also noticed knocking on the riser, this step sounds solid and all other risers have a hallow sound.

    The bottom picture is under the stairs going down to the basement, and that part that juts out is the back of the same step. I don't understand why it comes out like that, and the other steps do not. To the left, that board on the wall is weird too. Around the edges of where the wood is exposed is some strands of a cloth like (asbestos!?!) material that looks like it was pulled over the wood and painted, but someone ripped it off. House was a foreclosure, came with knob and tube, lead paint, mold and no working plumbing. All safe and updated now! Here's one other picture looking up with ductwork.

    The stair case is in the middle of the house with the living room on one side and a pantry turned water closet on the other. Here are the floor plans I found online. My house is laid out exactly like this.

    Sooo is this worth prying up part of the tread? Would an air duct go through a spot like that? Or is there a good reason it sounds solid and is made differently than the other steps? Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/OpenhammerFund
    [link] [comments]

    Updating our small garden space in Bali

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:14 PM PDT

    My husband and I have set up a home base in Bali, and this is the house we moved into last year. We just found out we have to stay another year until the Rona is over and done with so we've decided to make some small improvements to our garden. Just sharing this as we go. We're going to start with the pebble-y plant area!

    what we're starting with

    And our day 1 progress part of the grass has been laid out

    We're laying out the grass with some space in between the patches we bought, then putting some soil over it all so it settles (husband says he got this tip from the gardeners here)

    We're going into this without a real plan honestly but in general trying to put down grass, reposition some of the plants, and figure out storage for everything in that covered area (right now it's all shoes and ladders)

    submitted by /u/natasian
    [link] [comments]

    New AC Unit

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    Hi, I am planning to get a new air conditioning unit in our house. We currently don't have any cooling, only heating.

    The heating unit is about ~10 years old and was a lower-mid grade brand.

    I have 4 questions: 1. Should I get a new Heating unit at the same time - asking since labor in San Francisco is expensive? I do have home appliance insurance that covers heating unit. There is no problem with it. 2. Does anyone have thoughts on AC/cooling brands? The people i took a quote from are all about Trane, Bryant, Day and Night/ 3. Costco in my neighborhood offers Lennox air conditioning and contractors. Is it better/worse to go with Costco? It's obviously cheaper. 4. Current house doesn't have zoning but adding zoning will cost $3K. Is it worth it?

    Thank you for any help :)

    submitted by /u/evibz
    [link] [comments]

    Help displaying wife’s collection

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:10 PM PDT

     Hello, I'm looking for help displaying my wife collection and what would be the best options . To give some background my wife recently got into the k-pop group BTS and they have a lot of Merch and albums you can collect and display. Right now we have it displayed on a small table that sets on a dresser. But I have bought her some more stuff and her collection is going to triple in size on the next few months. I don't know much about shelves and cabinets and looking them up online there's so many choices I just want to make sure I get the right ones. We have plenty of wall space in the room and floor space is kinda tight. That's why I was thinking of shelves would be the best bet. But again I have no experience in putting up shelves so would be grateful for any advice or suggestions thank you. 
    submitted by /u/Fernangello
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a brand new home, what questions to ask?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 04:59 PM PDT

    As the title says I'm buying a brand new home that will be finished in 4 weeks. I have had the opportunity to walk through it and point things out to my realtor. What things should I be on the look out for and what questions should I ask? Also what is the typical warranty for a new home. The home is in Arkansas if that makes a difference

    submitted by /u/blade1012
    [link] [comments]

    Was it a mistake to install tiles on shower ceiling?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    I hired a contractor who hired a tiler to install very large porcelain tiles (12x24inches) on the slanted ceiling above my shower in a renovated attic. He assures me he used the strongest cement. Problem is, my home is in a climate with very cold and dry winters, very hot and humid summers, plus wind storms. The house is 100+ years old so I expect the walls will naturally move, expand or contract with weather and shower humidity. I recently learned about expansion joints. I'm not sure if my tiler used these. Is there any way to see if expansion joints were used simply by looking at the finished work? Edit: the gaps between tiles are 1/8 inch.

    submitted by /u/EmotionSix
    [link] [comments]

    Move light from next to door to hanging above it

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    We have a portico above the front door, and would love to have a hanging light from it above the door. Our current porch light is on the wall next to the door, though. Are there any standard ways for moving a light to accomplish this, maybe some tutorials anyone could point me to?

    submitted by /u/zahtaj
    [link] [comments]

    Wall tiles are Misaligned. Should I be pissed?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    This might be a stupid question but i almost lost my damn mind when I saw the spacing between the tile. Is level of inconsistency normal? I think I read something online that mentioned achieving consistency with consistent inconsistency. Is that what's going on here?

    These are brick shaped natural stone tiles. About $800 worth. There applied it the interior of a shower stall so on the walls. They aren't staggered. They're lined up like grid.

    I haven't called my contractor yet. I've never laid tile before but to me it seems like spacers would have been a very easy and cheap way to correct this. He used spacers on the floor tile. So it looks to me like he cut a corner that was hardly even there. He basically valued 30 minutes of his time it would take to go to the hardware store over $900 worth of my money.

    Or am i overreacting? Is there some esoteric industry rule that says you don't use spacers on walls? I do know That it will look better with grout but was it possible that it could have looked perfect with a tiny bit more effort?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/AjTZiqc

    submitted by /u/TheDirtyFuture
    [link] [comments]

    Help me, help my leaky ceiling

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    ceiling

    Hello! I am hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I purchased this house 5 years ago. We put in a new roof 4 months ago. We have this leak coming from the ceiling. Upon closer inspection, it looks like two pipes that have been plastered over. We have no idea what it is but are planning to go up in the attic to look around. Can anyone give me an idea about what this is? Thanks for your help

    submitted by /u/thtlittlelady
    [link] [comments]

    Dirty smell from AC

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    I have a Toshiba window unit.

    I've cleaned the filter, but didn't seem to have too much of an effect. I still get the "dirty socks" smell.

    The manual has no information about this.

    I'm assuming I have to take it apart and clean something? But what?

    submitted by /u/makhno
    [link] [comments]

    Closing off patio door - can't find brick match. Other ideas?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    I'm about to start a kitchen remodel which will include closing off a large patio door and converting to a normal window. This will leave an 8'x4' section below the new window that needs to be filled with brick, but I can't find an exact match to my current brick so worried about how it will look. Are there any other options here other than mismatched brick? Would like to stay away from wood or anything else that requires regular maintenance.

    submitted by /u/BlueDemon24
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment