• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 25, 2020

    Home Improvement: Is your spending on home improvement gone up significantly because of coronavirus?

    Home Improvement: Is your spending on home improvement gone up significantly because of coronavirus?


    Is your spending on home improvement gone up significantly because of coronavirus?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    Is it not at all, maybe a little, or a significant increase?

    submitted by /u/OneTonSoupp
    [link] [comments]

    Now that you're home all the time, How is that open floorplan working out?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    Glad you did it? Any regrets removing that wall?

    submitted by /u/take_it_easy_buddy
    [link] [comments]

    A reminder to test your pressure tank on a regular basis if you're on a well. I cut my electric bill in half by getting a new pressure tank.

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:54 AM PDT

    My pressure tank's air bladder had a leak and was basically forcing the well pump to cycle on and off anytime we started to run a faucet. I never really noticed this behavior or paid attention to it until I set up my office in the basement and kept hearing the pressure switch clicking off and on all day long anytime someone started running water upstairs. Turns out it's not supposed to behave that way, increases your electricity usage dramatically and significantly lowers the lifespan of your pump.

    I looked at my electric bill and usage over the last year and noticed a steady increase every month. So I bought a new pressure tank and had someone install it for a total cost of $519. That was two months ago and my electric bill went from $400+ to $239 the first month with the new tank without changing any of our other electric usage. It'll pay itself off by the end of next month.

    submitted by /u/alitanveer
    [link] [comments]

    I have a wet and rotten baseboard in my bathroom and I don’t know what from

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    I found a mushroom blob growing inn the corner of my bathroom. I sprayed it dead with bleach and went to scrub it up with a toothbrush and it sank straight into the baseboard. Here are some pics and details about the room. I have some physical limitations and my spouse has COViD, so I can't fix it or call someone yet.

    I'm looking for advice on how I might prevent further damage until I have help. I am going to stop using the shower and I sprayed mold/mildew inhibitor along the wall. What else might it be?

    bathroom 1

    toilet 1

    corner

    Bathroom deetz:

    I have all new plumbing, 2 years old.

    The toilet is working fine no hissing or leaks, the floor is dry around it but the subfloor is creaking on the right side of the toilet. The grout is dry and brittle but it was like that when we moved in 10+ years ago.

    The water knob for the toilet is on the left side and everything is dry around it and behind the toilet. The shower drains well and doesn't appear to have any gaps in the caulk/grout.

    Behind the wall is a closet and the carpet, baseboards and drywall are completely dry and fine. The only water line behind the wall would be going to the toilet. The main lines run where the shower head is on the wall to the far right. Below the area is my kitchen, I don't see anything concerning on the ceiling but the cabinets cover part of it.

    submitted by /u/funfunforyourbunbun
    [link] [comments]

    Discovered a single sided ridge vent with no soffits

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 07:10 PM PDT

    I love in an old home (1870s) and while doing some work up in the attic today discovered that the people who installed the roof 5 years ago (before i owned the home and since buying it I had to have another company come and fix some janky flashing that was causing leaks) installed a ridge vent on one side of the roof and there are no soffit vents since the roof edge sits right on the brick exterior. My understanding is that this essentially causes the attic to suck air out of the home due to the pressure differential between the living area and the attic. There does not appear to be an easy way to install soffits on the roof as the roof line is not accessible from the attic and the eaves are filled with blown insulation. Does anyone have any experience with this issues and different ways of remediating. I dont think I can install a gable vent since the side exterior is brick but does open into an alley way but im not sure if that would be kosher from a structural point of view.

    submitted by /u/TypicalBender
    [link] [comments]

    Built in air conditioner unit is leaking lots of water

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    I tried to tilt it and but it's nailed down straight across. Does my husband need to unscrew it and reposition it going downwards outside? Or is it another issue?

    submitted by /u/alypooo
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a good way to refurbish old discolored bricks on an old brick house?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    Here are the bricks in question. I'm not even sure what the discoloration is from...? I am also wondering about the discoloration on the bottom 2 feet or so all the way across the ground. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/GainAboveTheCorridor
    [link] [comments]

    [CT, USA] Looking for recommendations on how to give new life to old fireplace

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/HNsorqD

    Just purchased a home that was built in the late 40's.

    There is a wood burning fireplace that has not gotten any love for some time. This is going to be in the main living space next to an open kitchen.

    There is a functional blower unit attached as well

    submitted by /u/jakenocera
    [link] [comments]

    Made a fountain out of a wine barrel and pitcher pump.

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    fountain project

    I am really impressed with the solar pump I got on amazon. I've thought about keeping goldfish in the fountain but I feel like it would be a lot of work to maintain.

    submitted by /u/rizzo1717
    [link] [comments]

    Running conduit through garage to second floor

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I'm looking to tackle running some Ethernet network from my basement to the second floor into the attic. I'm planning on using some PVC conduit pipes to make fishing cables easier. The garage seems to be the path of least resistance, and the conduit would be on top of the garage drywall. I guess my question is, do I need to consider anything with running a conduit through the garage all the way into my attic? Some things that come to mind.

    1. Possibly a cinder block wall between the house and garage. (Fire code and building code issues)
    2. Drilling into a interior wall cavity above the garage (car fumes and fire considerations).

    Just wondering if what I'm thinking of doing is risky? Does it require me to seal the conduit a certain way into the garage and also up in the attic?

    submitted by /u/stevieo81
    [link] [comments]

    Window Filter to cut down on smoke/pot smell?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    Has anyone effectively used a filter in their window to allow fresh air in while filtering out odors?

    I see some products on the market like this activated charcoal filter, and I'm wondering if anyone has used something like this successfully.

    My specific scenario involves my whole house fan sucking in 4700 CFM of fresh air with the occasional cigarette smoke or pot smoke.

    Asking my neighbor to smoke elsewhere is out of the question, as he already does his deed at the the furthest point away from our open windows, about 75 - 100' away. He's pretty cool about not intentionally blowing smoke our way, and I don't take umbrage with adults doing adulty things.

    Our interim solution is to open windows in unused rooms on the other side of the house, and circulate air using the HVAC's fan-only mode to the rooms we actually want fresh air in.

    Bonus smells - we can tell when our neighbors do their laundry, and we know specifically which one(s) it is, based on the exhaust smell of the dryer. We can tell when my neighbor's fiance comes home drunk, because she's drenched in cologne. When my neighbor works in her yard, the house has a wonderful smell of lavender and rosemary. Oh and when its trash day ... we shut the windows and turn off the fan.

    submitted by /u/eveningsand
    [link] [comments]

    How to stop the insane amount of condensation that builds on my bedroom window?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    I live on the 9th floor in an apartment building. My room is small, but one entire wall is just big windows. Every night without fail in winter they are COVERED in condensation. It leaves the window panes near the carpet totally soaked in water, and when it dries there's dust and spores everywhere. If I leave the door open, the window open, it doesn't really make a difference just makes the room FREEZING cold. What do I do :(

    submitted by /u/keepthisasecret3000
    [link] [comments]

    Remove Outdoor Gas Pipe Rust

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    What would you recommend to make this look better? I live in a townhome and this is right next to my walkway leading to the front door. My wife has been asking me to do something and the plant isn't big enough to hide the eye sore haha.

    Rusted Pipes

    Live outside Philadelphia. I'm not capable of replacing the gas pipes. (I don't even know if that can be done). Have UGI as the gas company.

    submitted by /u/SlowCookerSunday
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have tips for grading a hilly lawn?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    Like how to set up string lines, levels, etc. I watched a couple videos but I havent found any good walkthroughs

    submitted by /u/Zappa-
    [link] [comments]

    best primer?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    hi all I just finished the joints and sealed the drywall with pro 999 ex 35 sealer. I am ready to prime, what is the best primer for drywall? i was going to get sherwin William's but there is alot of bad reviews on the website. on that note what's the best brand of paint?

    submitted by /u/nathanwe44
    [link] [comments]

    Can't upgrade AC unit w/o redoing ducting?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 09:08 PM PDT

    Title says it all. I looked into an AC upgrade recently - my current AC is technically the right size, at 3tons for a 1,660 sq ft house, but it seems a little underpowered and can't get the house below 80 when the weather is 90 or 100 out.

    Anyway, the AC technician recommended a 3.5 ton unit, but told me that I couldn't just get a bigger AC, I had to get my ducting re-done.

    This seems fishy to me. I feel like he was just trying to upsell me.

    Anyone know enough about AC to tell me if this was BS?

    submitted by /u/chris_hawk
    [link] [comments]

    HVAC contractors left the old exhaust pipe in my roof. The pipe just empties into my basement. How do I seal the pipe, to avoid water and insects?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 02:10 PM PDT

    The HVAC guys moved the exhaust pipes to the side of my house, to get them out of the way of a basement remodel. They were supposed to remove my old vent in the roof, but chose not to and discounted my price instead. Now I basically have a hole in my roof that goes straight to my basement. This company has been lazy at every turn and I am tired of dealing with them. I will take the price reduction and figure something else out. But what do I do with it?

    The HVAC guy said it is easy, just put a cap on it. But if it's so simple, I don't see why he didn't do it. And if I cover the top there's still side vents on it. Shut I cut it and try and put a cap on it or something?

    This is what it looks like

    submitted by /u/peredaks
    [link] [comments]

    NC electrical code question

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    Its a long shot but does anybody happen to know the codes for undergeound wire in North Carolina? Depth, splice, pvv or no pvc. It's a long shot but worth a try

    submitted by /u/wbaASM
    [link] [comments]

    Torsion springs on garage door

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    One of my springs just snapped. I'm quoted $195 to replace and didn't shop that quote around since I called after hours and the guy was available to come first thing in the am (had a job just down the street at noon).

    Is this a fair price? Looks like a $40 part and DIY looks doable, but the stored energy in these things do make me a bit me nervous for attempting a DIY

    submitted by /u/baysic510
    [link] [comments]

    Basement soffit framing with tight clearance

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    Great trick I used that may help the masses. Had about an 1 1/16" from door swing at full open to HVAC. That's tight...I used HURRICANE CLIPS to hang osb from the perpendicular joists with STEEL STUD SCREWS and after D/W, texture and paint the results were satisfying: https://imgur.com/gallery/nBHDGeR

    submitted by /u/originalsmp
    [link] [comments]

    This pre-built gazebo is stained "mocha brown" - I don't love the brown stain colour and would have preferred the natural cedar look. Will the stain fade over time?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    Building code limits to stair angle?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    We have some basement stairs that we would like to replace. To gain more room in a closet above the stairs, we would like to steepen the angle from how the current stairs are into a more ladder-like setup. Something like the angle in this picture is what we are thinking.

    What are the building code limits in terms of angle, width, and handrails for this type of stairs to the basement? In NC.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/stealyourfarts
    [link] [comments]

    HVAC installer wants to change from Daikin to Carrier, wondering if the reasoning makes sense

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:18 PM PDT

    I had originally planned to install multi-zone in my condo, however closer to the installation we changed the plan to be single zone. We were originally planning on using a Daikin condenser, however now my installer is recommending we switch to Carrier because the part that needs to go in the attic will be easier to get it up there and service in the future. I'm wondering if I should agree to the switch for those reasons, because while the Daikin unit is a little more expensive, it is also specced to be 5db quieter and the warranty is better, which I like.

    Should I agree to the change, or stick with the original plan? The installer says that although the Carrier is specced to be louder, there really isn't a difference in his mind, but I really do want / need this thing to be as quiet as possible to not have any issues with my HOA. Thanks in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/tehmacbuk
    [link] [comments]

    Help me put sofa, television and dining table in this home layout

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    Home layout is in https://imgur.com/a/8WgZjDH

    Could you please help me plan sofa, television and dining table in this home.

    Television can go behind toilet wall but cant put dining table anywhere

    Dining table behind toilet wall and television on puja wall in living hall but cant put sofa accordingly to watch television

    What are your suggestions to accommodate all three

    submitted by /u/shanwind
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment