• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 7, 2020

    Home security: Suspicious Man walking around

    Home security: Suspicious Man walking around


    Suspicious Man walking around

    Posted: 07 May 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Is there a smart security system that integrates well with PoE cams?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    I'm looking at alarm systems for a new house my wife and I are moving into. I really like the Ring Alarm system because of its smart capabilities and their retrofit kit for utilizing wired sensors.

    I also really like the ability it has to integrate with their cameras. However, I do NOT want to use their cameras for privacy reasons. Hell, I don't really want to support them at all, but they're the only smart alarm system that can utilize wired sensors. I'm already wired for some PoE cams and would like to record my video locally.

    My question is, is there an alarm system that I can tie into a home-automation system (HomeKit, Home Assistant, etc.) that has a similar tight integration with real security cameras?

    submitted by /u/87TLG
    [link] [comments]

    Security system - DIY or off the shelf?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    It's time to add a CCTV system to the exterior of my home; we haven't had any issues, but I'd rather have something set up before there's an incident. Based on The Wirecutter's suggestion, I picked up an Arlo 2 Pro system, which I'll be returning today: the base unit intermittently disconnects, and audio/video quality is horrendous. Sure, it looks good for stills in full daylight, but I'm not installing a camera to take pictures of my yard for Facebook :)

    My criteria is something that has low or no monthly costs and takes clear enough pictures that people/vehicles could be identified in day or night. App monitoring is a plus.

    So, my plan had been to build my own system using Raspberry Pi Zeros with the new HD camera. That'll probably come out to around $120 per camera after I've bought everything I need if I'm using fixed lenses. For outside use, I assume I should go varifocal though, which puts me out of my depth and probably into more expensive territory. I could handle remove viewing through a web interface.

    The alternative is to try a different system; right now my front runner is the Reolink Argus 2 based on reviews I'm seeing.

    I'd love to hear thoughts from the community here. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Crlomancer
    [link] [comments]

    Can different Z-wave networks communicate between each other?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    I have a Homeseer automation network for my lights and power and everything non-security related, but I was thinking of getting a DIY security kit like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Syst%C3%A8me-dalarme-anti-vol-automatique-s%C3%A9curit%C3%A9/dp/B07KVTFTQV/ref=sr_1_1 And I was curious if I could set these up to communicate with each other in some way? Like could I use the motion sensors on the security system to trigger an event in Homeseer to turn on my lights? Is there any system that could work like this? I realize that the security system would have to work on a separate z-wave network to operate with it's own controller, but I thought maybe they might have some interface that I could hit to send some commands when events are triggered? I really don't know that much about Z-wave beyond turning my lights on with a schedule using Homeseer. I would evenutally like to add a security system.

    submitted by /u/StinkyKitten
    [link] [comments]

    Any way I can get this to work without monitoring? No lights are on and no buttons work.

    Posted: 06 May 2020 09:36 PM PDT

    Best camera surveillance system?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I've done tons of research on what kind of camera surveillance system I should get and most of the information I've found points me to PoE NVR systems as opposed to DVR coaxial wired systems. I'm trying to stay away from Wi-Fi cameras that transmit footage over a wireless connection because I don't want to bog down my bandwidth, however, I don't mind having a system that lets me view footage from my phone if it's connected to a router. I've seen a couple of systems on Amazon like Reolink or Armcrest and I've heard good and bad things about them, most people complain that they all have offices in China and there's limited support for them but I feel like that shouldn't be much of an issue. I haven't seen many NVR systems at places like Best Buy or Walmart, all they seem to offer is smart home integrated cameras and DVR, but is there really a big drawback with using DVR? Any help would be appreciated. Also I'm looking at budget of around 500-700 but if there's something better cheaper I'd love to hear about it. I plan to monitor an open garage and an L shaped Front yard (I live on the corner of an intersection) so I'm looking at about maybe 4 cameras total but I'm not sure what the advantages of using some style cameras vs bullet style. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/68WForever
    [link] [comments]

    Security Cam feedback wanted. Like a Kickstarter, but free.~

    Posted: 06 May 2020 07:50 PM PDT

    Hey /r/HomeDefense

    I work at a cloud services company trying to develop the 'perfect' home security camera, for Redditors, and we want your feedback.

    1) What features are missing / you'd like to see in your perfect home security system?

    2) How can we make the 'cloud' more 'privacy focused'?

    Yesterday we had some starter suggestions from /r/HomeAutomation

    • onvif / rtsp support out of the box
    • multiple streams for different qualities
    • adjustable night vision
    • no cloud requirements

    Let me know and I'll do our best to incorporate your feedback in our next smart camera product.

    submitted by /u/ugohome
    [link] [comments]

    At what point can we shoot in Self Defense in say Georgia?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 08:56 AM PDT

    I know we can't shoot an intruder as soon as they walk onto your property as that would be assuming they were hostile unless they had a gun pointed at the house and were making verbal threats but when they start breaking in, but how much breaking in will they have to do before we can shoot?

    submitted by /u/Leadcels
    [link] [comments]

    what safe should i buy for untrustworthy family

    Posted: 06 May 2020 10:13 PM PDT

    Hey basically i have a large amount of money at home and the people i live with suck. I have a crappy safe bolted down and im afraid it can be broken into. Im looking for a safe thats under 500$ that can maybe hold a rifle if possble. i understand thicknjess is a factor and number of bolts send me links

    submitted by /u/ChickenHamPhones
    [link] [comments]

    What security system would be best for me?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    My boyfriend and I are moving in a month to a new home. It's about 1,000 square feet with 2 entrances. We want a pretty basic package. Our bedroom has 3 separate windows in it, so I'm not sure if we should plan on 3 window sensors or one motion sensor. Besides that, we're mainly looking to protect our two doors and a couple other windows. He's going to be in law school and I'll be the only one with an income for a while, so we're looking for a system that is affordable but still good. Upfront equipment cost I am not too worried about, I would prefer to spend more upfront and the smallest amount I can on a monthly basis.

    submitted by /u/ochemnewbie
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment