• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 7, 2020

    Home Improvement: Two lessons learned today

    Home Improvement: Two lessons learned today


    Two lessons learned today

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    So today I installed two security plates for my deadbolt locks on two different exterior doors. For those who do not know security plates are larger than a standard deadbolt plate and use bigger, 3" screws to screw into the stud instead of just the door frame.

    Learn from my (lack of) example. When you do things like this, don't do like me.

    First, use gloves. I was cutting the door frame for the plate and my hand slipped on to the chisel. Use freaking gloves. I bandaged it up with some paper towels and painters tape, but I could have avoided this injury with work gloves.

    Second, when you buy any sort of kit that comes with screws throw those screws away and buy quality screws with preferably a star bit instead of phillips or, God forbid, flat head. Of the 10 screws I installed 2 stripped. The screws that came with my strike plate set were cheap, soft metal screws. Buy, and use, better screws.

    submitted by /u/Inarus06
    [link] [comments]

    Just found out our “house flipper” painted over the old wall with stickers, what’s the best way to fix this?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    Link to image

    So we bought this house "flipped" little under 2 years ago, and keep finding hidden gems like this. We discovered it because these stickers are starting to peel away, lifting the top coat of paint.

    Not a painter, but I wanted to repaint my bathroom (yes, this is in the bathroom) with better paint regardless. What's the best way to fix this so I can put good paint up?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/boostedgts
    [link] [comments]

    Animal smell tips?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    My husband and I are desperately working on a rental house that the previous tenants just about destroyed. They had dogs and let them pee everywhere. Most of the floors are Douglas fir. So far we've bleached, scrubbed with cleaner, and done about 3 enzyme treatments. We've sanded the floors down to refinish. There is still an odor, it's better but it's still there. Is there anything else we can try? Will the final coat of polyurethane seal in the smell or will the smell come through? At this point I wonder if we should burn the house down and call it a day.

    Thank you for your tips and experience!!

    submitted by /u/ccchaz
    [link] [comments]

    Brickwork help, no need to upvote

    Posted: 07 May 2020 09:00 AM PDT

    Have a brick wall that needs to come down under my porch, non support wall. Any good places I could look up brickwork tear down guides and or tips? Any DIY brickworking sites or info to lookup? Any and all help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/Aceinator
    [link] [comments]

    I put a bathroom in my basement

    Posted: 07 May 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    It needed one of those very expensive toilets, the $1,000 guys that have a pump to send shit upwards to the main discard line.

    My problem with it is when I'm showering or anything while the pump is running overtime, I get shit smell backup. Is there a vent I'm missing or something? No leaks or anything, just sewage smell

    submitted by /u/ihateradishes
    [link] [comments]

    Concrete patio being poured soon, would love advice

    Posted: 07 May 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    Patio will be 16 ft by 9 ft along the flat portion of our backyard, the rest of the yard beside it is on an incline. We have straight clay soil so water is a problem after heavier rains. Concrete will be graded of course, but would you keep the concrete at ground level, or have it raised 2 inches to create a lip that keeps water off and flowing down the yard?

    We're also deciding between stamped or unstamped.

    Unstamped: Fiancé prefers this, it's $400 cheaper and next to zero maintenance.

    Stamped: Looks cool, would require staining afterwards and what sounds like some minimum upkeep.

    Also can patio pavers be added on top of concrete down the road?

    https://imgur.com/a/atxvRyM photo of where it will go. Yes I know our fence and shrubs look like crap. I'm pacing myself

    submitted by /u/HoundDogAwhoo
    [link] [comments]

    What would you do with this beaten up old garage?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    So I have this single car garage thats about 60 years old. Is currently being used as a wood shed, but I would love to get it back to "garage" condition where it would be able to house a vehicle. I was thinking of pulling the rotting wooden floor and pouring a slab, also replacing the bottom rotten border of the building and adding some cross member to the roof. My issue is there is a lot of clay, and thus a lot of swelling between the seasons. I'm not really sure how to go about all of this, I have plenty of people willing to help me out but I wanted some advice and see what everyone else would do. Heres a link to pictures of said garage: https://imgur.com/a/RfNut9R

    EDIT: So side note, I considered tearing down and rebuilding, but was told that due to new zoning laws and how long his has been in place I wouldn't be able to build a new one given how close it is to my neighbors. Also, If you look closely the power line anchor is riggghhttt over the roof, so making a bigger one is impossible without moving that. I really appreciate everyone's advice thus far

    submitted by /u/NON_RELATED_COMMENTS
    [link] [comments]

    Sanity Check Before I Paint my Kitchen Cabinets

    Posted: 07 May 2020 07:17 AM PDT

    Folks,

    I'm planning on painting our kitchen cabinets. They are currently a reddish color. I don't really know what type of wood they are, but the grain isn't very visible. We will paint them white or off-white. I'd appreciate if the hive mind would validate/poke holes in my assumptions.

    I plan to remove the doors/drawer faces and do them outside. I want to spray those and brush/roll the boxes and frames in place inside. I would love to use the sprayer on everything inside too, but it seems like too much hassle to mask off the entire kitchen to protect from overspray.

    Do I need to treat the side panels of the boxes and differently, since they are veneer?

    Any tips on doing the crown molding (on the boxes, not on my walls). I am kicking around the idea of removing them and spraying them along with the doors outside.

    Any recommendations on a spray gun? I was leaning toward either a Graco or Wagner in the $150 range but not sure now after reading negative reviews. They don't seem better than sub-$100 models for a smooth finish. I am really bewildered by all the options with sprayers. Airless? HVLP? One that uses a separate air compressor? One that has its own small tank or one sucks paint directly from the bucket?

    What metrics are important with spray guns? You see some that tout that they are 500 W, and others that are 750 W, or even higher like 1200 W. What benefit does the extra wattage bring?

    Part of being willing to pay more for a better sprayer is that I want to use it for other projects in the future, like when I redo my deck. For that I will need to spray stain/sealer. Can I assume that every sprayer will also be OK for stain/sealer as well as paint?

    I do have another smaller project entailing making simple pine shelves for a closet so I plan to use the sprayer on that to get used to it and work out the kinks before I tackle the kitchen.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/Keeth_Moon
    [link] [comments]

    Paint splatter removal vs. Hanging new drywall?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    I am currently helping my future in laws get their house ready to be put on market. My girlfriend used her old room as her sons room while briefly living with them and painted the walls. Well it's more like she used a paint cannon to have thick paint explosions all over the walls. I have included a couple pictures. I am wondering if there is a way to scrape/sand this mess or would it be more effective to just tear it down and hang new drywall? Any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/BSwkeTk

    submitted by /u/TheTrueGrizzlyAdams
    [link] [comments]

    What can cause burn marks near wall sockets?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    I was helping my parents replace a broken wall cover and noticed these burn marks on the wall. I checked their second bathroom and noticed these as well. The sockets work but I'm worried they may be dangerous What is the cause of the marks or how can I diagnose the issue?

    submitted by /u/alpthn
    [link] [comments]

    Luxury Vinyl Planks vs Ceramic Tile

    Posted: 07 May 2020 08:52 AM PDT

    My husband and I have old, old carpet in our living room and bedrooms. The rest of our house is tile (I'm not actually sure if it's ceramic or porcelain). With dogs, a teenager, and allergies the carpet needs to go. We're confident we can install Luxury Vinyl ourselves, but not as sure we'd have the ability to do a great job with the tile. Initially, we'd never consider Luxury Vinyl, but some of our friends have gone the vinyl route and swear by it. The significantly reduced cost of being able to do it ourselves is really appealing. However, I think we're both worried the vinyl will not last (although we are unsure if we'll be in our house another 10+ years, but do see ourselves being here another 5, at least) and look "cheap" next to the tile in our kitchen. We ordered a sample of luxury panel and both of us are not sure, but it could be that some brands are better than others? The cost factor is important to us as we really need to invest in a new AC unit within the next year or so (we're in Arizona and using a swamp cooler at the moment which is survivable but not great, AC is really a must have in the desert). Because of the large cost of an AC I'm not sure it really makes a ton of sense for us to spend thousands on flooring as well. I think anything would be better than the old carpet, but also recognize that tile would probably last longer and add value to our home.

    Does anyone have any experience with luxury plank? Are you happy with your choice? Do you wish you went with tile instead? Do you have specific brand recommendations for luxury vinyl plank?

    submitted by /u/duffbeerformeee
    [link] [comments]

    Winged ants infestation in our rented home?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    We currently have ants in our kitchen and bathroom. Our house is always clean. We have sealed cracks and baseboards. They are trailing in the kitchen from underneath the carpet from the living room. They aren't carrying anything. We have called our landlord. Pest control sprays the baseboards and nothing improves. Now we have flying ants everywhere! They are confirmed ants, not termites. They buzz and fly all day and night. We are so overwhelmed with this and don't know how to manage and stop it. Pest control keeps telling us all they can do is spray the baseboards. What can we do to help end this? Thank you.

    Winged ants and normal black ants taking over our rented house. OP losing their mind lol

    submitted by /u/etsyanon
    [link] [comments]

    Painting an old wooden door

    Posted: 07 May 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    door

    I plan to paint two doors and replace handles. These are old wooden doors for bedroom. The current paint is glossy. Is sanding necessary? If so should I buy a machine?

    submitted by /u/ethempekin
    [link] [comments]

    Need help deck

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:45 PM PDT

    So my deck needs some help. The posts are rotting out and its construction is horrendous in my eyes. I need some advice on what to do. I know I'm replacing those 4x4s with 6x6. Notice the current posts run footing to railing which I dont want. Also get alot of wind here, should I go with y bracing or blocking? Also should I double up the rim joist? https://imgur.com/a/uhUPafl

    submitted by /u/robbredd13
    [link] [comments]

    Air conditioning quotes seem high? [denver]

    Posted: 07 May 2020 10:36 AM PDT

    We're looking into installing air conditioning (none existing) in our house. We have central heat, it's a one story house with 700sqft above grade, and the same below.

    The two quotes we have gotten are _~$6k and that seems astronomical. The techs didn't point out any significant beside the fact that our breaker is almost full, but it has 200amp service and they could easily swap switches for condensed options.

    I've talked to a couple people who have had ac installed for half our quotes in the same size or bigger homes. I'm not sure if we're calling the wrong companies or if I'm missing something.

    submitted by /u/hendric_swills
    [link] [comments]

    Botched Kitchen Backsplash - What to do

    Posted: 07 May 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    Hello, We recently hired a service to install back splash in our kitchen and the job was completely botched. The "technician" did not ensure the tile was level, did not use spacers, and even slopped up broken tile (or no tile and tried to fill in with grout). We refused to pay when we saw the finished product and were in disbelief and completely shocked at how sloppy the end result was. Not only was the tile horrendous, he left grout and caulk all over my cabinets and floor. He also broke our home alarm during the installation as well. After consulting with a contractor friend, they advised us to take the tile off the wall before it dried so we didn't have a bigger issue on our hands (so we did).

    After we refused to pay him, he became irate and also began to threaten us. We considered paying him for his time, but after sleeping on it, we don't want to pay anything at all. How do we handle a situation like this? We are now scared this person will come back and try to physically harm us, and also stuck hiring someone else to redo the back splash. We have tried to connect with owner of the company who will no longer call us back. ADVICE NEEDED!

    submitted by /u/MotherHen23
    [link] [comments]

    Stained cedar shake siding

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Not sure if this is the place to ask, but 10 to 20 years ago someone applied a white semi transparent stain to the cedar shakes on one side of my house. And we wanted to remove the stain and rejuvenate the cedar shakes to their natural red cedar color so that they can fade naturally over time. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks, -Mike

    submitted by /u/mfk1230
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling Light Help

    Posted: 07 May 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    I was trying the replace the light bulb when I accidentally took out the canopy and now I can't put it back in. Please help.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/pzQkped

    submitted by /u/Macodocious
    [link] [comments]

    What type of insulation is this? And is it possible to paint over it?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/QyKTXS8

    I can definitely take a closer picture if necessary.

    This house was built in the 1920s in the Midwest, US. It's in the subterranean basement, under the stairs. I'm trying to convert it into a very small retro gaming nook for two people, but I need to be able to paint the walls first.

    submitted by /u/penfifteenth
    [link] [comments]

    Can you wallpaper a textured wall?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 07:50 PM PDT

    Install hook for hanging lights into aluminum siding?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    Last summer I built a concrete patio in our backyard and my wife wants to add some hanging lights from the house to the edge of the patio.

    I'm squeamish about drilling into the aluminum siding to install a mounting hook. Does anyone have any tips or alternative suggestions?

    submitted by /u/I_Made_it_All_Up
    [link] [comments]

    Restoring a natural brick color to painted brick?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    I have a two sided fireplace and I really like how the white looks from the main loving area, but I was maybe thinking of having a more earthy and warm feel to the other side of the living space. Has anyone tried this before?

    http://imgur.com/gallery/v8kDTh9

    These are photos of my house before I bought it.

    submitted by /u/BeachPeachMcgee
    [link] [comments]

    Can I demo a building full of trash? Or must it be empty?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    I did a gut remodel on my house and during the process filled the old garage entirely (up to within 2 feet of the ceiling) with the debris. I'm now looking to demo the garage - is there any reason I would need to empty it first? I can't see why it would matter, but wanted to ask here in case I'm missing something. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/edmvapors
    [link] [comments]

    How should I finish these closets? Paint EVERYTHING? Walls, shelf, rod, trim?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment