• Breaking News

    Friday, November 6, 2020

    Home Improvement: Hell must have frozen over, b/c I found 5 actually straight 2x4’s at Lowes!! Are pigs flying as well?

    Home Improvement: Hell must have frozen over, b/c I found 5 actually straight 2x4’s at Lowes!! Are pigs flying as well?


    Hell must have frozen over, b/c I found 5 actually straight 2x4’s at Lowes!! Are pigs flying as well?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 09:32 AM PST

    I feel like I should go buy a lottery ticket

    submitted by /u/funkykolemedina
    [link] [comments]

    Do you ever wish you could go back to high school to take shop or more hands on courses which would of better prepared you for ongoing household repairs later in life

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 05:17 PM PST

    I sure do. I would of loved to do this as a living now - wish I started younger.

    submitted by /u/BookRead8585
    [link] [comments]

    I'm an idiot. New home problems.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 05:16 PM PST

    Last week I asked for advice about pressure in my bedroom due to the HAVC in our new house. I appreciate the responses, I ended up calling in an AC company to diagnose the problem. Th gist of the problem was that the master bedroom was extremely loud when the fan cam on.

    Turns out I don't know how close windows (at least at the new house). Even though the window looked closed, it wasn't. And that created a weird loud sound in the master. Turns out I need to call in a HVAC company to close windows for me. Shame!

    submitted by /u/jpg4878
    [link] [comments]

    How to Fill Space Between Door Frame and Floor?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 04:16 PM PST

    I recently removed some old laminate flooring and refinished the hardwood underneath. Now I have a space between the bottom of the door frames and the hardwood. Any advice on how to fill the space? I am thinking that if I use wood putty it would look terrible.

    Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/bravoxrayniner
    [link] [comments]

    distilling water at home - using firewood

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 09:05 PM PST

    I want to distill water for drinking purposes over firewood (outside obviously, not inside the home!). I will use it for drinking and coffee, so it has to be made in bulk - perhaps a week's worth every weekend. Can someone recommend a set of tools to do this safely? I don't mind buying some equipment so it doesn't have to be the pot & upside down lid method. Goals are:

    1. Make sure it's safe from bacteria, heavy metals, etc...
    2. No chlorine - perhaps I'll need to let it sit for a few days for the chlorine to evaporate first since chlorine evaporates before water does and distillation won't help remove it.
    3. Keep it from acquiring any harmful gases from the wood being burned, such as if I use pine for the fuel source.

    Thinking about modifying one of these:

    https://www.amazon.com/Lopbinte-Stainless-Whistling-Stovetop-Induction/dp/B087TFG9CP

    By slipping one of these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/EZ-FLO-1-1-4-in-Inner-Diameter-x-1-ft-PVC-Clear-Vinyl-Tubing/1000180531

    on top of the spout, closing the lid, putting the kettle over an open fire, and putting the other end of the tube into a clean plastic or glass bottle. Will it work?

    submitted by /u/GetInHereStalker
    [link] [comments]

    Purchase Home from Remodelers in Dallas. Found out months later they cut truss. I would love opinions.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 02:33 PM PST

    Hi,

    I purchased a home in Dallas at the end of May from flippers. I had it inspected and this issue was missed. Since moving in, I've had several major issues (pool, major plumbing, drainage, etc.)

    I bought the house As-Is, and now I've just become aware after having a structural engineer here because of a leaning ceiling and roof sag, that the remodelers cut the truss to put a recessed ceiling in. From my understanding, this is a huge no no. From my understanding, I could be wrong, but even though I bought the house "as-is", it does not cover the seller from negligent actions that caused structural defects within the home.

    Does anyone happen to have advice or have dealt with a similar situation in Dallas, or anywhere in Texas? Does anyone have any real estate attorneys that would personally recommend?

    These last few months have been quite hell on my family, and I apologize for posting an annoying question, but I'm desperate for any advice/opinions.

    Thank you ahead of time!

    submitted by /u/NewDFWresident99
    [link] [comments]

    Blowing insulation on top of existing vapor barrier in my attic?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:35 PM PST

    I live in Oklahoma & while I've actually not laid eyes on it, HVAC guys have told me I have a barrier up there, presumably on top of the existing insulation. I've also heard that the height of the current insulation is low (maybe 5" or so; it's so low they can see the rafters), so would it be fine just to blow new insulation on top of the vapor barrier? Is there anything particular I need to keep in mind with this process? Thanks for any help you can provide this inexperienced noob.

    submitted by /u/Mr_A_Rye
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for child size dust masks

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:34 PM PST

    I've been building a playhouse with my 10 year old and 7 year old. They've been very involved in every stage and we're ready to start sanding but I can't find any proper dust masks for children. Does anyone have a source for child sized dust masks?

    submitted by /u/zrpurser
    [link] [comments]

    What minor repairs/maintenance make a big difference?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 09:30 PM PST

    I just replaced my 30+ year old shower cartridge after my wife was having trouble shutting off the water and it's amazing how easy it is to turn on/off the water and adjust the temperatures. I'm wondering what other minor repairs/maintenance often gets overlooked but can have a dramatic impact.

    submitted by /u/Pyro919
    [link] [comments]

    Homebuying red flags

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 02:13 PM PST

    Hey yall, Sorry if this is a bad sub to ask this in.

    I am planning on buying a home soon, I don't have a specific one in mind but lots of the stuff that is in my price range could be fixed up but is livable right off the bat. What are some warning signs and deal breakers to look for?

    A house I am looking at in person this weekend has some water stains on the bricks in the basement on one wall and some grout has fallen out and the other wall is painted blue which makes me think there is something unsavory going on. Also there are some water stains on an exterior wall which makes me think the roof is questionable. I am still going to look at the house because we already set the appointment but I have a feeling these repairs will be extremely costly and will require professional help.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/zzZ0_0Zzz
    [link] [comments]

    What type of wood are my floors made of?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 08:09 PM PST

    Building a Pantry in the Kitchen...

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:54 PM PST

    Wife and I would like to add a pantry to our kitchen. We have a small nook that we would transform into the pantry. My wife and I are debating about the most efficient way to build it. I'm suggesting walling off the nook with a door in the kitchen (galley style kitchen and would lose some counter space but access is in the kitchen and seems cheaper). She would like to build it in the same spot but instead of access from the kitchen, she wants to build a door through the wall to the dining room and access it from there (dining room is adjacent to the kitchen, separated by a wall). The walls are plaster (old house) and I'm not sure how thick any of the material inside the wall is (or even what sort of lathe is in there).

    My question is, which is the easier way to go, and will the financial aspects be significant for either way? Thank you!https://imgur.com/a/2ql2TOy/

    submitted by /u/STOPHAMMERSTEIN
    [link] [comments]

    Romex Fire Hazard?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 07:45 PM PST

    So I was going through my basement the other day and saw some burn marks on a header that had 3 romex wires going through. I haven't necessarily noticed that we've had any shorts in the house, but given the way it looks, I want to know what I should do for next steps. I had an electrician look at it, and his thought was that it was related to some welding that was done on plumbing nearby (picture 3 in the link), but I am not necessarily convinced. Imgur album here for those who have any insight.

    submitted by /u/fuzzyaces
    [link] [comments]

    Brown bats in my soffit dormer (I think), what to do?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 05:17 PM PST

    Heard bat noises this evening and sure enough I saw a pair of bats on my roof! They were under the eave, right by a dormer. I checked my soffits (from the ground) and attic, no bats to be found. It seems plausible that there might be an entry point to the soffit in that dormer.

    How should I go about checking this out? I was planning on going up on the roof tomorrow and poking around with some gloves on. Any advice?

    I'd like to flush the bats out and then seal the hole(s) by putting wire screen over them. I don't mind if the bats stay in the eaves but if they're in the soffit I think they need to find a new home.

    Also, can bats in the soffit make it through the breather baffles into my attic? That's my concern.

    submitted by /u/YukonBrawler
    [link] [comments]

    Should I redo my contractors questionable work in my shower?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:53 PM PST

    When me and my spouse bought our first home last year (built in the 80s) my in-laws paid a contractor (of their choice) to make us a new shower pan and retile everything. To keep it brief and to the point the issues we now have are as follows

    • The grout cracked and crumbled less than a week after it was completed. Bc of this we have yet to use the shower since he "finished" the job
    • fast setting grout was used and he spread it over the entire shower before realizing it was fast set and then he could not remove large portions of it
    • He used caulking between tiles, not just in the adjoining walls but randomly in between spans of grout
    • The tiles are not level with each other. Some sit back farther than others
    • no spacers were used so there is hardly an area where your eyes dont notice imperfections
    • Its very messy and sloppy looking overall

    I was going to remove all of the grout myself and then regrout it but now that I have read into this process I cant tell if he even did the mortar coverage correctly. Based on the work I can see, I have serious doubts he did.

    Should I salvage the tile and try to redo it, just stick to regrouting, or tear it all out and pay someone to do it again?

    submitted by /u/knox41
    [link] [comments]

    Power strip for washer and dryer

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 02:51 PM PST

    Is there any safe power strip that I can use for a washer and dryer? My outlet is directly behind my washer. Because the power cords aren't flat, it prevents me from pushing my machines against the wall causing it to block a walk way by a couple inches. I'd like to get a power strip with a flat power cord if I can do so safely.

    submitted by /u/kmin4240
    [link] [comments]

    Washing machine walked 2 feet and locked us out of the laundry room

    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 11:10 PM PST

    Got a new washer about 2 months ago and it has worked great this whole time. Tonight my girlfriend just informed me she can't get into the laundry room because the washing machine is blocking the door.

    And what the heck, it was! a good 2 feet forward, blocking the door from opening. Still plugged in and the clothes are inside washed just fine.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/nerfavarixx
    [link] [comments]

    When is it time to replace a roof?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 01:31 PM PST

    What signs do you look for in determining when to replace a roof? Mine was not new when I bought the house 7 years ago. I have no idea how long it's been up, but the house is 30-something years old and this isn't the original roof.

    Obviously, I don't want to wait for a leak, but I also don't want to reroof before I need to.

    submitted by /u/SmileFirstThenSpeak
    [link] [comments]

    What size propane gas pipe do I need for tankless water heater?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:15 PM PST

    Switching from a 50 gal gas water heater to tankless. The unit we are looking at is 200k btu. Talking with the person who might install it, they say we need a 3/4" pipe to the unit (which we have), BUT if the pipe is being shared with something else (like my furnace), the pipe will need to be an 1". Is this accurate? Almost everything I read said 3/4" would be fine, but not sure if sharing affected it.

    submitted by /u/NinjaiRose
    [link] [comments]

    Toe kick saw for ceramic saw.

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:00 PM PST

    Has anyone fitted a tile blade for these saws?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/QThBnHE

    submitted by /u/Alcoholhelps
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a ductless heating/cooling unit: What do I do with the old ducts?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 09:11 PM PST

    I have a sunroom addition on my house that has it's own HVAC system (I didn't build it, I just got it that way) in addition to the one for the main house. The system is overpowering in the small room; think "V-12 in VW Beetle" type overpower. Either we're freezing from the AC or roasting from the furnace. Going to have a minisplit installed.

    What should I do with the ducts, registers, vents, etc. in the room already? I don't want to rip them out, but I don't want critters and such moving in, or losing heat/cooling through the open air vents.

    submitted by /u/Separate-Chemistry59
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to get pricing on materials for finishing a basement?

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 09:03 PM PST

    Bought my house about 2 years ago. previous owners had a bedroom and a bathroom added to the basement but the rest (about 2/3 the footprint of the house) remains unfinished. It's my goal to finish the basement myself sometime in the next 10-20 years.

    I've gone ahead and taken all the measurements and dimensions of the basement and thrown them into a some floor-planning software. What I don't know is the best way to go about figuring out the costs for materials for framing, flooring, ceiling, etc... (also I intend to have professionals do things like wiring, plumbing, etc).

    So what i want to know, is if I should be heading to home depot to speak with folks there, calling a contractor and having them quote me, or should I be contact wholesalers for the lumber and other materials.

    I'm also open to any advice that anyone wants to offer. I'm in no hurry as this is a long term project and am looking to learn as much as possible while i go through this

    submitted by /u/turnturnburn
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to get a odor out of my home

    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 06:41 AM PST

    The other day I screwed up making microwaveable Mac and cheese. I forgot the water and the entire thing burned/melted and of course smoke filled my kitchen and since then my house has smelt like an ashtray. I have never had something like this happen before and I don't know any good ways to get an odor like this out. Any help is appreciated for my really stupid mistake

    submitted by /u/man544
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment