• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 30, 2020

    Home security: Oh man - why didn't I switch from Brinks to Ring sooner?

    Home security: Oh man - why didn't I switch from Brinks to Ring sooner?


    Oh man - why didn't I switch from Brinks to Ring sooner?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    We've been with various Alarm.com providers for years. Started out with Frontpoint, then moved to LiveWatch, who was bought by Brinks. We like the Alarm.com platform, though I never realized how clunky it was until I moved to Ring.

    After some epically bad tech support from Brinks, we started doing some research. We found we were getting gouged at $40/month for their monitoring service. I hate paying a premium price for a sub-par service.

    We were fans of Alarm.com, and their Z-Wave integration was nice, but we eventually made the decision to switch to Ring.

    Boy, are we glad we did. I didn't realize how clunky and difficult to program Brinks was compared to Ring. The automation integration is way better, especially when you add Alexa into the mix. And monitoring at $8.33/month instead of $40? Hell yeah.

    Brinks is SO high pressure, it's disgusting. When I first told them I was unhappy, they offered me a $5/month discount, but only if I signed a new 3-year contract. I might have stayed as a customer if they had handled it better, because changing out the system is not a small task. But a ridiculously small discount for a three year contract? No freakin' way.

    Then when I called back to cancel, they offered me another discount if I signed a three year contract.

    And today, even though I've disconnected the system and filled out the cancellation contract, they called me yet again to offer me an $18/month price if, you guessed it, I signed a new contract.

    I had to tell them to put me on their "do not call" list.

    So if you're considering switching, do it! Even with the cost of equipment, you'll make your money back fairly quickly with the huge difference in monthly cost.

    And for anyone else who's considering Brinks, stay away!

    submitted by /u/hamsammiches
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone recommend an alarm system which is available in the UK?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    Hello there,

    I have an aging Yale home alarm system which has suited me well for the last 10 years, but is starting to die. I've decided to upgrade, but haven't been able to find something quite right. I wondered if anyone here may be able to help me?

    My requirements:

    • Essential: It must be a wireless solution - I do not want to hard wire alarm PIRs etc, instead relying on batteries.
    • Essential: Must come with pet friendly PIRs, or they should be available to purchase (I have 2 cats and a 17kg dog)
    • Essential: Must be able to use a rffrid type keyfob for quick arming/disarming when we come/go
    • Essential: Must have a home mode which will allow me to arm specific door and PIR sensors whilst we sleep

    • Desirable: Can be armed/disarmed from a mobile app
    • Desirable: A smaller second control panel at the top of my house for quick arming/disarming
    • Desirable: Batteries in the components (e.g. PIRs) last a reasonable time - my current system lasts a year - I'd rather not change batteries every 4 months!
    • Desirable: Easily (and ideally cheaper) extended with additional equipment which is easily purchased online in the UK

    • Not required: An external siren / box - I'll leave the Yale one up, which is deactivated anyway.
    • Not required: Monitoring, or phone line access - it won't be located near a phone line, nor do I really want it to call people when activated.

    Alarm systems I've considered:

    • Ring Home Alarm - in the UK we can only get the "older" model at the moment (I know a new one is coming). The older model doesn't have the rffrid keyfobs, and also requires you to enter a pin when arming (which i think is bonkers). I am unsure if the new 2020 version addresses both these points. I do like the fact the PIRs are pet friendly from the outset.
    • Yale Smart Alarm - This ticks many (all?) of the requirements however the reviews are pretty poor for this system. The PIRs you get with the bundles are not pet friendly, which will involve sizable additional expense. Plus, my old Yale alarm panel started playing up after 5 years - so I'd worry about longevity.
    • Honeywell Home HS331S - Not pet friendly, and reviews badly. Doesn't appear you can buy pet friendly PIRs for the system either.
    • ERAY GSM 3G WiFi Home Security Alarm System - Chinese item, not that many reviews around. PIRs bundled not pet friendly; they do sell pet friendly PIRs but not available to buy from any UK shops from what I can tell. Too risky for a no-name brand.

    Can anyone recommend other wireless alarm systems I should be looking at?

    submitted by /u/ReflexReact
    [link] [comments]

    V20p upgrade chip

    Posted: 29 May 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    Can I use the v20psia chip on honeywell vista 20p panel and vice versa?

    submitted by /u/vandit007
    [link] [comments]

    Panel Identification

    Posted: 29 May 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    Can anyone identify this panel? It is in a house that I plan on purchasing, and I would like to get more information.

    https://imgur.com/CCfIuir

    submitted by /u/AveryAlanMiller
    [link] [comments]

    Help asked with picking recording app/system

    Posted: 29 May 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    Hi there! While looking for a way to record and safely store sounds I stumbled upon this subreddit. With all these experts around, I hope you can help me (and hope I can someday return the favour).

    So what's my situation?

    I would like to use my phone (android) to record sounds 24/7. Right now I use a recording app (and couldn't find anything that worked better than smart recorder). That works ok to some degree, but is far from ideal. The problem is that I need to start/end recordings manually. And manually have to send the taken recording from my internal phone to cloud/e-mail. Then manually delete them from my phone. This every day.

    I imagine there is a way this could be more streamlined or automated.

    Therefore I'm looking for an app (android) with which it is possible to:

    1. Automatically start recording when phone is turned on

    2. Can record 24/7 in background

    3. Can upload recordings by itself to cloud/network NAS (when connected to wifi/When connected to my home network ). (pref after a set amount of time / gb of recording while continuing to record after ending the former one)

    4. Will delete recordings from phone after uploading (preferably automatically)

    Is there anyone here who has any experience with apps who are capable of the abovementioned? Or any other way I can automatically record and store sound from my phone for longer amounts of time?

    submitted by /u/diemetdebril
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex Playback Error

    Posted: 29 May 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am having trouble getting a live feed from one of my cameras of my Lorex system via the mobile app: Lorex Home.( https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-security-surveillance-camera-system/4k-ultra-hd-ip-nvr-security-camera-system-with-8-ip-cameras/TN81828B8-1-p )

    Of my 4 cameras, I cannot get any feed from camera 2. I've tried different ethernet cables, different switches including a factory reset of the entire system. Still nothing. Has anybody ran into this scenario?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MaximiniMan
    [link] [comments]

    Switching Smart Home Systems

    Posted: 29 May 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Hi /r/homesecurity!

    I hope you're doing great. So I have a Vivint SmartHome system. I inherited this when I bought this house. The equipment is paid for and I'm on month-to-month. That costs me $50/month.

    In my home, I have a video doorbell, HVAC controls, automatic door locks, a really shitty interior camera, a panel, some sensors for the doors, a motion sensor, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

    The panel that Vivint has installed in this house is nuking my wireless internet in part of the house. I've been able to confirm this. Vivint won't help me at all unless I sign a contract with them. They're pretty firm on that. I priced out a total system replacement with Nest products. I gather this subreddit doesn't really like Nest, typically. But if I'm okay with the hardware cost and switch the monitoring to Brinks home security for $30/month, does anyone have any experience with this?

    submitted by /u/GumpTownNtlHotline
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to repurpose an old nanny cam?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 06:58 AM PDT

    I have two Cocoon Cameras. Both have fully functional hardware, but the software is trash and no longer supported. They have built-in IR lights, Wi-Fi, etc.

    Is there a way to repurpose these into something usable?

    Edit just to be clear: Hardware is the only functioning part of these. Software is obsolete.

    submitted by /u/jws_shadotak
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment