• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 9, 2020

    Home security: Car has been attacked twice now with paint stripper and we are looking for affordable cameras

    Home security: Car has been attacked twice now with paint stripper and we are looking for affordable cameras


    Car has been attacked twice now with paint stripper and we are looking for affordable cameras

    Posted: 09 May 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    Someone has targeted our car and no one elses twice in the space of a month by throwing nitromors all over it. We would really like to at least try and find who is doing it but obviously like for a lot of us money is very tight. Does anybody have any affordable CCTV recommendations. We are based in the UK if that makes a difference.

    Any help would be massively appreciated.

    submitted by /u/threatlvelmidnight
    [link] [comments]

    So I happen to notice these tool marks a couple months ago. I am puzzled when I saw it ! Does anybody know why and how they could have possibly been made ??

    Posted: 09 May 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    Crime problem...Help me catch the bastard(s)

    Posted: 09 May 2020 02:58 PM PDT

    Live in a nice part of town but in the last year we have ad a few issues with break-ins, there are signs of drug use outside my property. My daughters bike was taken and smashed up... the next day I found hypodermic needles close by to where my daughter plays.

    I know very little about security cameras, but my initial plan was to have a computer running 1 x dome type camera outside above the entrance to my garage. Thinking of using blue Iris or similar. I also may add two further cameras to the property in the next few years. My requirements are:

    -PoE

    -IP67 and can operate at -30C

    - Human detection

    - Notifications to phone, tv etc

    - Decent night vision

    - Auto tracking (nice to have but not essential)

    I have one other question, would Blue Iris if installed detect faces and build a database of bad guys etc. Is there a better product if I am just running 1-3 cameras?

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/Rastus547
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for mail to picture gateway

    Posted: 09 May 2020 07:33 AM PDT

    My two cams only support sending the pictures and videos to an e-mail address via smtp. I don't only want to store the files locally since a home intruder could just steal the cam and the sd card.

    Has anybody found a solution to store the files on a local server. My thought was to install a smtp server and let it just sink the files onto an external hdd.

    submitted by /u/buchinho
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do with these ? Some look like cat5 and some coax? Took over a small business empty space and saw this and open to suggestion on how best to use existing wiring.

    Posted: 08 May 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    Question: How to beef up our home's sliding glass door. Glass film tips?

    Posted: 09 May 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    I'm seeing low ratings on Amazon (3 stars out of 5) for window glass films that supposedly make it much harder to break in.

    Financially right now I don't want to look at steel bars or replacing the entire sliding glass door (which came with the house), or any option that would involve having strangers over to the house to install something during a pandemic. (I'm assuming that glass film would be an easy, 1- to 2-person DIY.)

    We already have a locking pin installed in addition to the usual latch, but I'd also like to look at some relatively inexpensive options for beefing up the security of that glass, in terms of slowing down someone who decided to smash through the glass.

    Even if film wouldn't stop determined intruders, it might slow them down enough to help me get to that end of the house and do something to further discourage them.

    Anyone have tips on this? Have you installed it yourself on any windows or glass doors? Best place to order it online?

    (An additional reason that I hesitate with Amazon, is that lately I've had multiple massive delays on shipping, such as 3 to 5 weeks, up to never - some orders of mine have simply been canceled after several weeks of not shipping.)

    submitted by /u/TeRiYaki32
    [link] [comments]

    Camera System Recommendation Needed!

    Posted: 08 May 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    Hello home-defenders, I am a new homeowner looking for my first camera system. I have a strong IT background and I'm more than comfortable running wires, Raspberry Pi, drilling holes etc.

    Some considerations:

    • It's a small home on a small property so I wouldn't need more than 4 cameras.

    • I currently have no doorbell or doorbell wiring, so I was looking for a camera system that would tie into/create a doorbell. (PoE doorbells seem to very rare?)

    • My wife is currently 5 months pregnant with our first child, should I skip baby monitor and just tie a wifi camera into this home camera system?

    • I have a FreeNAS box already, so I would like to be able to leverage that storage, but it's not a must.

    • I'm not the richest man in the world but I would be comfortable spending in the area of 1K, but I'm not too keen on paying for a monthly cloud service.

    My n00b questions:

    • If I go home build, can I run Blue Iris in a jail on my FreeNAS?

    • Should I go home build? I was browsing around Lorex's website after reading a bunch of posts similar to mine already, but I can't really tell which ones would support 1or2 way communication (for the baby monitor and/or doorbell... or even which would work with the Lorex doorbell?). I did like those Lorex cameras that LED shine when they detect motion, seems like that would be a good deterrent... but I like the flexibility of custom home build.

    In case you can't tell I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options... Any insight you can provide would be helpful, thanks!

    submitted by /u/in4thewin
    [link] [comments]

    Nest Cam Outdoor vs Nest Hello doorbell facial

    Posted: 08 May 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    I have used both and now I'm torn on which one to stick with.

    Nest Hello Pro's- Facial recognition, direct wire to doorbell. Con's- No wide angle

    Nest Cam Outdoor Pro's- wide angle recording, Con's- no facial recognition, power cord can be ripped off by a person or rodent since it plug in via power outlet.

    I like both, but what's the use of Nest Can Outdoor unless I can clearly see the person walking up to my home???

    With Hello I see the person, but I don't see them on my porch especially on the right side of the camera which includes my driveway and porch.

    What's ultimately better in the long run?

    submitted by /u/Alabaster13
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment