• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 9, 2020

    Home Improvement: We did it! Home Renovation: Kitchen Version

    Home Improvement: We did it! Home Renovation: Kitchen Version


    We did it! Home Renovation: Kitchen Version

    Posted: 08 May 2020 09:07 AM PDT

    We had a crazy time. We did everything ourselves (GF and I) and were lucky to have a helping hand with some plumbing issues and laying the LVP. This was finished late 2019 and it's unreal to be living in this after all we went through. We did the entire main floor including both bathrooms but the link below highlights the kitchen as it's the biggest piece.

    My advice for young, mid-20's couples planning to buy a fixer upper and renovating yourselves: have enough money to get the things you need and don't sweat the little mistakes that nobody will notice anyway. Luckily, our relationship survived the renovation and made it as strong as it could be.

    See before and afters here: Our hard work

    This sub literally had a huge hand in figuring things out. It's unreal the willing knowledge in this sub. We DIY everything including demo, subfloor replacement, cabinet assembling/hanging, electrical, everything. YOUTUBE is our savior.

    We'll never do this again. EVER. But I did get to buy some dope @$$ tools!!

    EDIT To Follow Sub Rules:

    Kitchen renovation cost roughly $17k.

    Brands:

    - Whirlpool appliances,

    - Blanco Sink

    - WholesaleCabinets Cabinets

    - LifeProof Luxury Vinyl Plank.

    Materials used:

    - We had to use OSB subflooring to replace the rotting subfloor.

    - We used shaker cabinets from http://wholesalecabinets.us/

    - We used all Whirlpool appliances (roughly $3k)

    - Counter was from Lowes (Butcher block slate) (roughly $250)

    - Counter was from local shop (Quartz)

    Troubles we ran into:

    - Improperly installed dishwasher leaking over the course of years caused a ton of damage. we had to replace subfloor. We learned there were no GFCI in the kitchen so we had to replece those.

    - We ripped out the soffit as there was nothing in it and had to patch it up with compound.

    - the walls were not square. They were bulging down the middle so we shimmed and screw threw the shims. In the pantry, we had to use thicker pieces of wood and used a large trim piece to hide the giant gap behind it.

    - the original subfloor didn't match the new one (it was much thicker; almost an 1" and we had to use a thin 5mm plywood to stack with the new OSB to match heights.

    - Sink drain pipes were in the corner so we had to cut the base cabinets tot get it to fit.

    Costs:

    - 1,400 for flooring (but we used it for both bathrooms as well)

    - 2,500 quartz countertops

    - 300 for butcherblock countertop slab/stains/waterlox

    - 3,600 cabinets

    - 3,000 appliances

    - 600 for tools

    - 200 in beer/wine to help us get through the frustrations.

    - 35 for black handles (Bought on amazon. don't buy at lowes/home depot)

    - 150 pendant lights (amazon as well)

    - 200 for backsplash tiles, tools, mortar, grout

    - 50 disc led lightsEdit: In total we spent about $17k. you can find a breakdown in the comments. But a lot of it were tools/supplies that we were able to use elsewhere like the bathroom subfloor and walls.

    Edit edit: See semi cost breakdown here: Costs

    submitted by /u/DoingitFortheMusic
    [link] [comments]

    Am I being ripped off?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    Having my kitchen done. Trying to do it right. It's about 300 square feet. Cabinets, counters and appliances are 30k. Contractor wants a massive $45k (in addition to the $30k) to rip out old cabinets, countertops and appliances + make the doorway 1 foot wider + install the new stuff. Seem extremely high right? Or am I crazy?

    submitted by /u/Cornwallis400
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing Front Door

    Posted: 08 May 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    What is the best brand of a front door that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? And what material do you recommend (wood or fiberglass). I should say I don't want steel bc I want the craftsman wood look that I can only get with wood for fiberglass.

    submitted by /u/OnAJourney8
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for examples of ranch renovations

    Posted: 08 May 2020 03:56 PM PDT

    Hi I'm interested in renovating my home. It's a ranch home and I was wondering if there is a resource that has examples of renovated ranch homes. I'm planning on adding a substantial amount of square footage to my house (around 1500). My house is about 1700 square feet total on the main floor and 1700 in the basement. I also plan on redoing the exterior of the home (adding a large porch and changing the overall aesthetic of the home). I am planning on spending about 300k on this renovation and am wondering if anyone knows of any similar projects that I could look at. Thank you!

    Here's a picture of the house.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/5XzgIiS

    submitted by /u/jojcece
    [link] [comments]

    Would opening the windows in my cool basement help keep the upstairs cooler?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    I live in the PNW. My basement is partially underground and quite cool. My main floor is very hot with tall ceilings, single-pane windows and no insulation in the walls. I did blow insulation in the attic though but the large single pane, western facing windows, keep the main floor way too hot.

    Would opening the windows in my basement help keep the upper floor cooler? What if I hooked up fans to blow the cool air up the staircase?

    submitted by /u/slipnslider
    [link] [comments]

    Floor tiles dark after pipe burst. Please advice on next steps.

    Posted: 08 May 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    Hello, I had a plumbing accident in my rental apartment today. The pipe to my faucet (which is behind my dishwasher) burst and water started to pour on to my kitchen floor. We were able to turn off the water, however, it took some time. Now, a lot of the tiles have darkened as you can see in the picture. I have a fan aimed at the floor but no change so far (its been about 6-7 hours since this happened). I'm not knowledgeable about flooring and was hoping to get some advice from the experts:

    1. Does the darkening indicate that the tiles have absorbed water? If yes, can they dry out or will they need to be replaced?
    2. I'm guessing it possible that the tiles themselves may be OK but water may have seeped under them and affected whatever's there. I'm concerned that it could lead to mold under the tiles. I'm not sure what should be my next step in this case.

    Picture: https://imgur.com/a/bXagNew

    Thank you all very much for taking out the time to read this!

    submitted by /u/aaaazzzz1234
    [link] [comments]

    Help with media center wall outlets

    Posted: 08 May 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    I have three outlet things behind my media center and I am not sure what they do.

    https://imgur.com/YCoOGyj

    The white cable running through the middle of the center one is a coax, but I'm not sure what that's for since there's another coax ~6 feet away. I think the colorful nubs are audio-related since we have these speakers in the ceiling.

    https://imgur.com/uW5pkFI

    Not sure how to connect them to the TV or if they work though. Also they are all on the right side of the TV and there are only 4 of them, despite there being 8 wall plugs.

    Lastly I have no idea what the blue and white cables are. There are 3 blue and 1 white. The inside of the cables have more individually insulated cables. I think it may be an Ethernet cable but not sure why there are 3.

    https://imgur.com/ndtPZnB

    submitted by /u/AladdinSnr
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on painting 1950’s veneer furniture set

    Posted: 08 May 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    I need some help with painting this furniture . It's veneer which makes me nervous to paint it. I have cleaned it and sanded it down (this picture was taken before sanding). I would like to paint it white and put on new handles. Any tips on what paint to use/best methods to paint it? A friend has recommended Wise Owl paint but I've never heard of it. Thanks in advance!

    Edit: here's a picture with the mirror as well!

    submitted by /u/spillltheteasis
    [link] [comments]

    Replace Basement Insulation? (Pic included)

    Posted: 08 May 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm an inexperienced first home owner and wanted to ask about the insulation in my basement.

    I'm planning on putting some workout gear in the unfinished part of my basement. I don't mind the basement being unfinished, but one of the walls has fiberglass insulation that's torn and looks like it previously had mice inhabiting it. It has some sort of plastic sheet covering it as well.

    My question is this: should I remove the insulation and replace it with the same type of insulation? Is there a best practice way to insulate these walls if Im not actually finishing them?

    Thanks so much for your time.

    https://m.imgur.com/a/YDSLMrR

    submitted by /u/Recurzzion
    [link] [comments]

    What's behind my wall?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 04:08 PM PDT

    Walls ripped open due to water damage, giving me a unique opportunity to do all sorts of things.

    Noticed one particular section of party wall with my neighbor has a ton of outside air coming through. There is some sort of rectangular metal 'conduit' for lack of a better term, but it's much sturdier than anything I would expect from HVAC (albeit, it is labeled 'Air Box', but not sure if that's entirely related.. neither my unit or neighbor has HVAC in this area) or electric. It also coincides with the strangest drywall patch I've ever seen with some sort of mastic looking material surrounding it (again, this is an internal party wall).

    Pictures are horrible, but the best I can do given the angle - anyone have any ideas as to what this might be, and why a random spot in the middle of a party wall would be leaking outside air?

    https://imgur.com/a/0WO2d6L

    Edit: Update - I believe the 'conduit' is a structural beam. It terminates into a steel plate and is bolted into my neighbor's foundation. Mystery possibly solved...

    https://imgur.com/a/nAKk92N

    submitted by /u/sHORTYWZ
    [link] [comments]

    which drill bit should I use for this?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    Covid-19 Swimming Pool

    Posted: 08 May 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    Since it is unlikely that our swim club will be opening this year, we purchased a 10' diameter above-ground pool.

    I need to level part of the ground. I was going to use sand, but I'm concerned about the fact that the sand may not create a favorable environment for planting grass seed come the fall.

    Since this is only a 3-month endeavor, should I just use some topsoil, assuming I don't want to dig, or will the sand be fine?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Blue-Hen
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a cleanout?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    Found this in my subbasement. It looks like maybe it's a sewer cleanout, but I'm not sure. That ledge under it is the corner of my foundation (upper foundation that is). Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/do_hickey
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know any details about getting an automatic double barn door that open outward, for a garage?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    My basement doesn't have the right clearance for an automatic garage door and opener. It currently has double doors you can just open to swing outwards.

    Anyone know of a way get that where I can have them open automatically so I can park in the basement?

    submitted by /u/ChuunibyouImouto
    [link] [comments]

    Wanted to share the new floor I put in for our laundry area

    Posted: 08 May 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    I forgot to take a picture of the linoleum before I started ripping it out, but the front of it did have a big tear in it.

    I started first by taking off the trim pieces. Then I started pulling up the old linoleum. It mostly came off in big pieces so it wasn't too bad. After I got all it ripped up I took a sander and sanded down the big bumps of the leftover paper. Once that was (mostly) level, I cleaned up the area really well. Then the vapor barrier went on. I've got a concrete slab so wanted to make sure my new vinyl plank wouldn't get moist. After I laid that down I started with the LVP. This was my first time so at first just learning how the pieces went together was a struggle, but it wasn't so hard. The directions that came with the LVP plus YouTube sorted out any questions I had, except for one... is the floor supposed to slide as you're putting it together? I found even after the first 3 or 4 rows, the whole floor was sliding all over the place. I cut the planks short enough to allow for a space gap from the wall, but I kept having to move the floor to where it was centered on the floor, and not against the wall. Cutting around the trim of the "door" frame was a pain but I was able to trim it back enough to where the LVP would slide underneath.

    Sorry I didn't take pictures of the whole process, I just wanted to get it done!

    https://imgur.com/gallery/yZ10LhG

    submitted by /u/21brandon021
    [link] [comments]

    What is this pipe

    Posted: 08 May 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    We are in the process of fixing up a house to live in and we're wondering what this pipe was for an can we cut it? It is currently only used by the wash basin (the sink the washer drains into) and it is leaking so we were going to replace it with a PVC elbow into main the cast iron plumbing. Googling around I'm seeing some say it's just for ventilation but it is clogged (mostly with rust) and needs fixing. all the exit piping is below where the top pipe goes. Any advice would be appreciated - additional pics - https://imgur.com/a/orCybs1

    submitted by /u/iSmurf
    [link] [comments]

    GFCI Outlet Issue

    Posted: 08 May 2020 08:08 PM PDT

    I have 3 outlets that are out in the master and guest bathroom that are labeled as GFCI outlets but have no reset button. I've checked every single outlet on the property (attic, garage, outdoors, closets, and even checked cabinets in case I missed anything) and can't find a single switch other than the ones in the kitchen that are currently working. I've also checked the breaker box to see if the GFCI switch was in there.

    The lights and exhausts work in both bathrooms and I've even tried flipping the breakers.

    Where do I go from here?

    submitted by /u/Into-The-Oblivion
    [link] [comments]

    Trickle Behind Gutter

    Posted: 08 May 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    I was getting some water behind the gutter on the corner of my porch where the upper roof drains to the lower roof. I called a reputable local gutter company and they installed flashing under the drip edge. Basically, the water was finding a way between the gutter and was bypassing the drip edge.

    We had some heavy downpours and the problem was solved. Under the gutter was dry as a bone.

    Tonight, we had some lighter rain and I am getting a minor trickle in two spots. Prior to the install of the flashing you could shower under the water getting behind the gutter.

    I probably would have never noticed this if it was not something I was focused on post repair.

    Is it acceptable to have a tiny amount of water get behind the gutter? I

    Image of trickle: https://imgur.com/a/BbwPXxi

    submitted by /u/CTek20
    [link] [comments]

    Small flood in garage

    Posted: 08 May 2020 09:43 PM PDT

    The drainage pipe for our washing machine broke during a cycle, and I walked into the garage to find 10-15 gallons of water spread across the concrete floor. It wasn't a major flood (less than 1cm deep throughout) but it covered the entire floor.

    I mopped everything up and opened the doors to allow air flow, but is there a risk of further damage? Anything else to be done? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/dangerouscurrency1
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to seal/ preserve historic door?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Here's our door

    This is our original 115 year-old door. We just bought this home in a historic district, and the house is a landmark, so we're required to keep the door and original windows in place (which we're happy to do)!

    The door is very dry and splintery so I'm looking for the best product to clean and condition the door, and another product (if needed) to seal it against the elements. The door is south facing under a 7 foot porch overhang. We're located in Houston where most of the year is hot and humid.

    We don't want a shiny finish, just a matte, conditioned wood look. I'm prepared to do this a few times a year if necessary so I'm not looking for a one and done sealer, just something that will bring out more of the brown wood tones and make it look less dry.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/realmefakeme
    [link] [comments]

    Best Basement Floor

    Posted: 08 May 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    We had wall to wall carpets in our basement which we ripped up as they were moldy and bright red. What do you guys recommend for flooring types? Also how to prep? Half of my basement is unfinished which has mainly clean concrete but some stains and some patching where there used to be a subpump with a few cracks. The other side where we ripped up the carpet has glue encrusted on it.

    I planned to rent a floor belt sander and then was thinking about epoxing the unfinished side (future weight room and workshop) while installing engineered vinyl planks on the previously carpeted side. Any special prep I should be aware of or more optimal flooring choices?

    I also am planning on repiping my copper pipes above the ceiling line so i can put in drywall ceilings instead of the current dropdowns on the "finished side" while insulating all the walls with rigid foam. Also was going to do spray foam with bat overtop for the floor joists (just bat now)

    Anything I should be thinking about or considering or any floor prep suggestions? Not sure if things are level but haven't seen many easy ways to level it.

    No water in the basement during the spring rain season. It's a little humid but the dehumidifier takes care of it. I also have two drains in my basement that are plugged but have no clue if they were connected to an old subpump or if they are piped into the sewage. Anyway to tell without digging everything up?

    submitted by /u/wrightetiedee
    [link] [comments]

    Coax cable installation on old house

    Posted: 08 May 2020 09:12 PM PDT

    Hi all, We recently bought a house that had recent renos done but they never installed cable or anything - to my knowledge it's never been set up or installed, we will know after the inspection is done. We're going to need to a hire a service for this. How much can we expect something like that to run?

    submitted by /u/thatbookishgirl
    [link] [comments]

    New House. Found growth in hardwood floors

    Posted: 08 May 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    Hello HomeImprovement fam. Got a question about my hardwoods. We bought a brand new house (built in 2019) in March. We moved a few boxes today and noticed this strange growth on our brand new floors. Wasn't entirely sure what it is and how to fix it/prevent the spread of it. Any help?? Images to follow!

    https://imgur.com/gallery/m4frHIA

    submitted by /u/jacobjohn90
    [link] [comments]

    Pretty large gap under bedroom door, (not completely even) would appreciate some suggestions on draft stoppers or other methods to block air from coming in/out.

    Posted: 08 May 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    My bedroom door has a large gap, and it's uneven. Most of the draft stoppers I've seen only cover about 1" gaps.

    The widest part is ~1 1/2" - 2" and the smallest is ~1".

    The door is wooden, underneath is solid concrete/tile. What options do I have to completely block air/dust from coming in? It doesn't need to look pretty, but I also don't want to have to move it (such as using one of those foam draft stoppers.)

    Here are a couple of photos if it helps.

    submitted by /u/SacraficeMyGoat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment