• Breaking News

    Friday, May 29, 2020

    Home Improvement: Recessed wall shelves using studs and free space inside the wall.

    Home Improvement: Recessed wall shelves using studs and free space inside the wall.


    Recessed wall shelves using studs and free space inside the wall.

    Posted: 29 May 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    I'm kind of proud of myself for thinking of this. We built recessed shelves between the wall studs in an unusable pantry wall. The shelves use the free space between the wall studs and take up zero space, and they have the capacity to hold more than 100 cans. This simple project turned out way cooler than I was expecting! I documented the project here: https://imgur.com/gallery/2kujFsx

    submitted by /u/AtomicDairy
    [link] [comments]

    Sulfur smell from bathroom faucet?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 05:20 AM PDT

    Hello, hope all are keeping well! We are first time homeowners, just moved in a couple weeks ago. The house was turn key and everything clearly very well maintained.

    We were surprised that there is a persistent smell of sulfur emitting when we turn on the faucet in the master bathroom, mostly when I wash my face.

    I can't detect the scent coming from anywhere in the room except for what is coming out of the faucet. No other sink or room has this problem. I believe the master is a newer addition to the property, but still at least ten years old (the house is about 50). Has anyone else ever experienced this?

    Many thanks!

    Edit: There is a p-trap and we are on city water and sewer. Not done getting through comments but I have learned a lot about plumbing today! Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/themix669108
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice: neighbor moved survey marker

    Posted: 29 May 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    As my 65 pound dog reminds me every day... I need a fence. We recently finished having a surveyor mark our property boundary.

    One surprise or this establishing the boundary, about 15 feet of what we had assumed was our neighbors property is ours. In the image here you can see the marker is roughly in the middle of a mulches tree ring.

    https://imgur.com/a/6GptevT

    There is one tree entirely in our property which they planted in the past 12-18 months it looks like.

    This morning, when walking my dog in my back yard, I discovered that the marker has been moved. Not the metal bolt in the ground (secondary marker) but the flag has been moved about 10 feet back into my property. We have lived here about 3 weeks and have not yet met our neighbors as of yet.

    How would you advise proceeding? How do you broach the topic without coming off like a jerk? I will be firm, but don't want to ruin the first impression. (Even though they already have)

    EDIT: To clarify just flag marking the iron marker was moved, not the in ground border marker itself.

    Edit 2, electric fence boogaloo: My wife and I went to introduce ourselves. No answer, about 30 mins later they had guests come to visit. I've replaced the flag marking the iron marker. We wrote a nice greeting card, put in the mail, simply introduced ourselves and said we had a survey done and were curious as to whom planted the trees on the property line.

    submitted by /u/JBKReef
    [link] [comments]

    I have a section of tree I would like to use as a side table, but I'm... stumped.

    Posted: 29 May 2020 08:01 AM PDT

    A neighbour felled a tree and I got a section of it: https://imgur.com/gallery/GNRTiYr

    I would like to use it as a side table, but I'm not sure what I should do to preserve and enhance it. Ideas?

    submitted by /u/hercarmstrong
    [link] [comments]

    Drywall repair

    Posted: 29 May 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/VvuJW6N

    I put up new drywall there must have been something stuck to the drywall sheet. What's the best way to fix it? Can I cut around it and fill it with compound? It's a little bigger than a quarter but oval shaped.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Rivermill
    [link] [comments]

    Hardwood under carpet in my mid century home. They painted it white! Is it salvageable?!

    Posted: 29 May 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    Need to cut 1/2” off edge of granite countertop in order to fit new gas range in. Is this something I can do myself?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Hello, my new gas range will not fit in the space. The granite counter sticks out 1/2" too much on both sides. Is this something I can trim off myself? Photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/CcZSGi5

    submitted by /u/Worriedeyes
    [link] [comments]

    Should I move doorbell wires to ring doorbell?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    I'm fairly handy when I put my mind to it,. Looking at my photo, my old doorbell to the left, ring to the right. I don't get a good angle if using the old spot. I'm currently using 2 batteries that have gotten to the point I have to swap and charge about once a week.

    Should I be brave and attempt to move my old doorbell power wires to the ring?

    The attic space will probably be pretty tight where I need to get to. I'm assuming the best course of action would be, run a long drill bit from where the ring is mounted up into the attic, go find the doorbell wire,...pull it up, tape to bit....pull down to the ring.....done!....sounds simple enough.

    Thoughts?

    Ring doorbell https://imgur.com/a/tcoPWe6

    submitted by /u/drjoeshmoe
    [link] [comments]

    How to dim Cafe lights ?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 08:52 PM PDT

    Cafe lights are nice, but dimmability is so key. I got 2 strings with (15) e26 1 watt led bulbs each. Bought this controller to control and dim!

    VAVOFO Dimmable Alexa Smart Dimmer Switch for Brightech Outdoor String Lights Indoor, 350W Dimmer Timer for Led or Incandescent Bulbs

    Controller is appealing because it: Has great Alexa, Siri and google integration. Works on WiFi as opposed to a hub. Outdoor rated . The app is great.

    But.... it worked for dimming for one week and now after several resets and reinstalls it still won't dim.

    The setup is all Compatible per manufacturer recommendations (bright tech lights, comes in way under the 350 W limit)

    Lots of folks have reviewed on amazon that they saw similar results... that being said is anyone getting reliable results from this style of device? Am I in the minority?

    submitted by /u/originalsmp
    [link] [comments]

    How best to address this bulge in my laminate floor

    Posted: 29 May 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/HRYMFEl

    Garage 2nd floor loft. Really basic HD laminate flooring.

    I think the issue is that it was installed around New Year's, in about 30-35' F temps. Come March when 50s and 60s were hitting, it started bulging. Today it is the worst, and probably our warmest day of the year yet in the mid-80s.

    I was thinking I would just leave it, but 2 days ago the bulge was maybe half of this in height. Noticeable and kind of annoying but not that bad. Now it feels like I am stepping on something that is slipping under my foot

    This appears to be at a joint (which would make sense as it is exactly in the middle of the floor's width). Could I just disconnect it, maybe shave off 1/8" to start with using my tablesaw, and put it back (shaving 1/16" until it fits)? I know this would kill the locking mechanism but I have glue I could use (Loctite const. adhesive). It's a garage floor - a gap in winter wouldn't be that big of a deal.

    We anticipate this being future teen kid hangout space, and overflow sleeping when we have oodles of family in town. That's it. Storage otherwise.

    submitted by /u/meanie_ants
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody use COIT cleaning services?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    TLDR: Has anyone ever successfully used COIT to remove wet dog smell from tile floor?

    Our tile floor (~270 square feet) which we think is original to the house (~40 years) has wet dog smell. I've confirmed the former owners definitely had a smelly dog. I've tried baking soda and vinegar, a torch, different cleaning products, and of course odour absorbers. Nothing works.

    COIT advertises "specialized" tile and grout cleaning and afterward applying a penetrating sealer.

    The guy who came for the estimate said normally it would be around $829 but they're offering 50% off right now, so after tax it'd be $462. To me that sounds like a sales tactic, but anyway, I definitely wouldn't consider it if it was actually over $800. By that point I'm more likely to spend extra and replace the floor altogether. He also said that he can't guarantee removal of the wet dog smell. Sigh.

    Seeing as we could be saving a few hundred dollars, does anyone reading this think it's worth it? Could using a penetrating sealer alone lock in any odours? The tile is a bit beat up in places but I don't mine its appearance, the smell is what gets me. After being out for a while and coming home, it's a disheartening thing to know my house stinks.

    And yes, it is definitely the tile floor. Since moving in a year and a half ago, I've replaced the laminate and sealed the foundation beneath that, where smelly carpet used to be, painted the walls, even painted the ceiling, and replaced the kitchen which had mold in the original cabinets, the attic smells perfectly fine, etc etc etc. The tile floor is the last possible culprit. It sucks because as we walk around the tile floor smell has gotten all over the new laminate as well.

    Help!

    submitted by /u/9_years_left
    [link] [comments]

    Is this pipe too far off to set a drain?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/afYdenS

    I moved the drain pipe to fit the new shower pan but apparently it's not plumb. I can get it to line up but there's a little tension on the pipe. Ok or do I need to redo it?

    submitted by /u/golfguy1984
    [link] [comments]

    Repair broken concrete gap between patio and foundation

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    I've got a small patio on my side door where a small chunk of concrete and the foundation has broken off. I'd like to repair it so there's no Gap and no ability for water or critters to go down there.

    Photo: https://i.imgur.com/xoEhZ2h.jpg

    Would getting some concrete repair mix be good for this?

    Was looking at this product as a possibility for this:

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-20-lb-Polymer-Modified-Structural-Concrete-Repair-124125/207102852

    submitted by /u/TheMarkTomHollisShow
    [link] [comments]

    My Wall Peeled Too - Help Please

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    So we've been doing some painting around our house. We just finished the bedroom (Woot Woot) and was pretty proud until we started peeling off the painters tape...

    The tape was placed on an adjacent wall to prevent getting paint on that side (the walls have different colors). When we took the tape off, it pulled the paint off the freshly painted wall! In addition to the paint it pulled, it pulled off the top layer of the wall! Now we have a painted paper-like piece hanging until we can figure out what to do.

    Not sure how to fix this without messing up the rest of the paint and wall. I've been looking online, but all I can find are videos on how to fix the peeled paint-- not a whole piece of a wall.

    The wall is textured dry wall and we used latex paint. Tips and advice anyone?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/BDuncaDunc
    [link] [comments]

    Home Exterior Trim Replacement. Work involved in DIY or should i have painters or somebody else take it on?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    Hello All,

    IMGUR ALBUM: https://imgur.com/a/lkMHDwH

    Recently purchased a home and am interested in understanding common protocol for my siding issue. This is a 15 year old home and we are are looking to have the outside repainted. No issue hiring this out as its not something I want to deal with doing. However what should I expect if I call them out for a quote (multiple companies) and show them this siding/trim? Obviously it needs to be replaced and is like this around the home. Is this something i can DIY with just common materials at Lowes or home depot? Im handy and work on cars so if this is nothing more than a cut, nail, caulk job i'm all for it.

    Additionally, what will painters say if they show up and there are bare boards nailed onto the house because i obviously did not paint them prior to installation?

    Looking for general advice here. I appreciate all the input!

    submitted by /u/solarsuplex
    [link] [comments]

    Hanging wall shelves for plants

    Posted: 29 May 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    I am trying to hang shelves to hold plants. There are a lot of them, maybe 10 in various sizes. Most are 1-6 lbs I have about 4 that are probably 10 lbs. I bought 2 pole-like things that have slits in them and screw holes to hang. Then you put the brackets in the slits on the pole and put the shelves on the brackets. (I have absolutely no knowledge as you can tell) lol. I plan on having 3 shelves. Screwing into the studs is not possible. Do you think it would be ok to hang with plain screws. There would 10 screws (5 on each pole thing). Would it be able to hold about 80 lbs? Depending on how much they grow.

    Edit: Hanging from the studs is impossible because the shelves need to be by the window to the plants can have light. There aren't any studs by my window, I have about 15 holes in the wall to prove it 😂

    submitted by /u/kaylaap
    [link] [comments]

    Potential flooding?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    I'm in Northeast Ohio. Just left an open house - absolutely loved the house but it's raining pretty hard today and I noticed all this water sitting on the side of the house. Didn't notice any issues in the basement or anything but wonder if something like this is a cause for concern. Neighbors house was slightly higher off the ground. Disclosure papers say they haven't had any flooding issues in the past. Here are pictures:

    https://imgur.com/a/bKnwtAp

    submitted by /u/Agcryptonic
    [link] [comments]

    renovations worth it ?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    I read in another Reddit post renovations are rarely worth it unless you do the majority of the work yourzelf ..is this true ? even if you have friends who do it for a living and supposedly quote you a lower price

    submitted by /u/joyceetal3000
    [link] [comments]

    LA retaining wall repair/maintenance?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    Hopefully im posting correctly. I have mutli-tiere landings running up the hill in my back yard. Each landing has a retaining wall behind it, with one of them being about 6ft.

    pics: https://imgur.com/a/yvD6Kpn

    There are some surface cracks and some cracks that looks like the previous owners tried to fix using a silicone caulk? Im a bit nervous about the stability of the walls because of the cracks but the walls them selves dont look to be leaning. hopefully this could be repaired or at least maintained by my self. Any insight would be great.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/maverickPixel
    [link] [comments]

    Sealing recommendations for butcher block?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, we recently installed an 8' butcher block slab to be used as an office desk. We really love the natural light color of the wood in the room, so don't want to do a heavy stain or finish. Any recommendations on sealing products? Looking for something that will hold up to wear and tear of everyday office use, mugs, cups, scratches, etc but doesn't need to be food safe

    Have seen a lot of recommendations for Watco, tung/linseed oil or can I just go with a polycyclic minwax?

    Any help is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/alwaysonthejohn
    [link] [comments]

    How do I keep a new dishwasher from clogging up with hard water deposits?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    Just got a new dish washer. The old one had lots of hard water deposits and stains. What's the best routine for keeping all the jets, mesh, etc. from clogging up in this new one? I don't particularly care about the dishes being immaculate without any streaks or spots, I just want the appliance to last.

    Vinegar? Some commercial product? How to apply? How often? I liked the idea of filling the rinse reservoir with vinegar but read that it can eat away rubber seals :-/

    submitted by /u/dbrez8
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix gap between bottom of baseboard and vinyl plank flooring?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    Installing vinyl plank flooring and new baseboards from scratch.

    The flooring has been laid down nicely, now it's time for the baseboards, but the baseboards do not sit flush against the floor, there are gaps.

    The gaps are 1/8"

    The baseboard is 3" tall and 3/4" thick pine — it's not flexible enough to simply push down and nail in place to cover the gaps.

    With the baseboard resting in place the top reads level. So it's overall level, but the floor has subtle peaks and valleys that create the gaps under the baseboard that are not so subtle.

    I was hoping to forgo quarter-round to save money and I like the clean look of the simple board. But I don't know what else to do.

    Are there other options?

    submitted by /u/PixelPsyche
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a stud finder.

    Posted: 29 May 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    Store of choice is Home Depot although Lowes and Menards are doable but they are a distance. Ace Hardware is also a option as well as Harbor Freight. Need to mount a 50lb tv to about a 5-10lb tv wall mount. The walls are plaster and lathe and I need to have the stud finder be able to see behind the lath to know if there's a stud behind it. I don't know how far apart the studs are because it feels like they went wild with spacing cause no studs are the same. One may be 20", one may be 16", one may be 3", or even 13" (Past experiences). I'm using a cheap $10 stanley currently and it's a shot in the dark even on drywall.

    submitted by /u/ChaoticDominance
    [link] [comments]

    Living room light stuck on semi dimmed after power outages.

    Posted: 29 May 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Hello, hopefully this is the right place for this.

    We recently experienced some power outages and after one the living room ceiling light has been stuck in a semi dimmed state. The control is a simple switch, not a dimmer. The light stays on regardless of the position of the switch, the only way to control it is to shut off the breaker. We tried doing that to see if it would reset it (classic turn it off and back on again) but that didn't fix it. I'd like to add that this is a new house and we are the first residents.

    I haven't taken the switch cover off to mess with it because.

    Hopefully this is enough information because that's pretty much all I know at this point.

    Thank you for taking the time to read this

    submitted by /u/Razvodka
    [link] [comments]

    Garage loft framing questions

    Posted: 29 May 2020 10:05 PM PDT

    I'd like to build a loft for storage in my garage and have some questions about framing it. Pictures here of the project site: https://imgur.com/gallery/0cSB2p3

    1. Any concerns with attaching to the main beam that spans the garage?
    2. I'm planning on using 2 x 6 lumber for the joists. Can I use a 2 x 6 for the 11.5 ft ledger board span?
    3. Should I add/connect some 2 x 4s from the beam above the 11.5 ft span to the ledger board for additional support?

    These are the main questions I have now, all help is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AgentG96
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment