• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 3, 2020

    Home security: First time homeowner looking for a reliable home security system.

    Home security: First time homeowner looking for a reliable home security system.


    First time homeowner looking for a reliable home security system.

    Posted: 03 May 2020 01:19 AM PDT

    As the title says my wife and I finally bought our first home a few months ago and we are looking into a good reliable security system for an affordable price. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/TwEaK354
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a wifi outdoor cam with ocean side weather

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    We live near the sea and it gets really foggy here. I'm not sure if there's something out there that can withstand the sea salt breeze.

    Budget is ~$100. Would need to be sd card compatible. I've been looking at the Amcres 4mp; not sure if I should pull the trigger.

    submitted by /u/Blu-
    [link] [comments]

    Napco IBV-DBELLL

    Posted: 02 May 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    Does anyone have experience with Napco's video doorbell IBV-DBELL? I'm looking to add a video doorbell and this one caught my eye as I have a Napco Gemini 3200 panel. However, the doorbell does not integrate with the security system.

    submitted by /u/stevies3
    [link] [comments]

    How to use a GetSafe system after the contract is over

    Posted: 02 May 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    Right before the lockdown started we hit the end of our contract and decided to try a new company. We never had any major issue with GetSafe and live in an apartment, so it's been fine. We just wanted something new/better.

    So I thought using my equipment after my contract was up would be pretty straightforward, but part of the offboarding process removed my access to the application, which controls everything. Even when trying to sign back into it and using the serial number on the control unit, it doesn't work. So keep in mind if you use one of these systems, they basically brick them after your contract is over.

    But...

    I also had the foresight to get the remote to use with dog sitters, family etc.

    I had noticed that even though the app doesn't work, and obviously there is no monitoring, that my door sensors and siren chime still worked, so I left it all in place to use it for what it is, and I'm in no hurry to find a new service/system due to being at home full-time now.

    Then I decided to see what would happen if I arm the system with the remote.

    It works!

    Keep in mind that I took the SIM card out and it's not on my network at all. It works as a door chime and an unmonitored alarm, as a completely standalone unit.

    I know this has limitations obviously, but I thought it might be fun to share my discovery.

    submitted by /u/ButteCyberSecurity
    [link] [comments]

    Cars in Apartment Parking lot are getting broken into

    Posted: 02 May 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    Hi guys.

    I live in an apartment and the cars in the parking lot are getting broken into every week. Not so much actually "broken into" but people are going around at night lifting door handles to see which car is unlocked.

    Luckily I'm pretty good on locking my vehicle, but I want to put some sort of camera inside my car to maybe catch the person(s) who is doing it. Does anyone have any ideas of a camera that will look outwards and have decent IR for night time? I was thinking a Trail Camera because they are battery operated and have invisible IR. I was thinking about just proping it up on the seat facing the driver window as I'm assuming the door the perps try is the Driver door as it can be unlocked even if other doors aren't.

    Does anyone think the door window will bounce the IR off of it rending the picture/video useless?

    Also looking for any other ideas on how to get a good photo of these guys!

    submitted by /u/TheDeltaFlight
    [link] [comments]

    Replacement for Piper app Home Vitals graph

    Posted: 02 May 2020 09:44 AM PDT

    Piper, offered in Classic and NV models, was a well reviewed all-in-one security camera and home automation hub with multiple built-in sensors. Since the company behind it was acquired by Alarm.com in 2017, Piper cameras are effectively end of life: no new features or bug fixes, no longer available for sale, support and reliability are spotty, and while its app and cloud services are still running, that could change anytime. While it never lived up to its full potential, in the past I was a big fan of the Home Vitals sensor graph in the app (screenshot example here: https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/nexus2cee_piper-vitals-2.png).

    For a long time I've tried in vain to find a suitable replacement. Any recommendations for an easy to implement (off the shelf or relatively painless DIY option) that includes the following sensors and logging / graphing capabilities similar to the venerable Piper?

    • Outdoor temp (pulling weather data without an outdoor sensor is fine, that's how the Piper works)
    • Indoor temp
    • Humidity
    • Brightness
    • Sound
    • Motion

    Cloud-based services and apps are nice but I would strongly prefer something that keeps my home sensor data secure and private. App integration is nice but I can settle for a decent web app.

    I have decent IT and electronics skills but a general lack of time and tools to get into soldering, programming beyond modifying simple scripts etc. Thank you for any suggestions.

    submitted by /u/newsred18
    [link] [comments]

    Nest Cam (Outdoor) vs Logitech Circle 2 (Wired)

    Posted: 02 May 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    These two cams seem to be very similar. Which one would you consider getting for a single standalone cam?

    submitted by /u/2LPOWER
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment