• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 2, 2020

    Home Improvement: Washed an old sheepskin in the washing machine and now I have strands on clothes every time I wash. What to do?

    Home Improvement: Washed an old sheepskin in the washing machine and now I have strands on clothes every time I wash. What to do?


    Washed an old sheepskin in the washing machine and now I have strands on clothes every time I wash. What to do?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    I have cleaned the filter, and ran a drum cleaning program to no avail....

    submitted by /u/joosefm9
    [link] [comments]

    How do I replace a lock but keep the latch, model unknown?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    I have no DIY abilities at all but am keen to try nonetheless. New apartment (I'm in Massachusetts), but my back door didn't come with any keys for the lock. I would like to replace the lock on the outside with something that comes with keys, but preferably keep the latch on the inside.

    Googling yields a bewildering array of lock terminology, and I remain unsure what sort of lock I have. There's no manufacturer or model name visible.

    I've attached pictures - can I just replace the lock cylinder thing on the outside of the door? And if so, can I buy any lock cylinder (are they generally standardized)?

    Any advice to a complete novice would be enormously appreciated!

    Pictures: https://m.imgur.com/a/rWpoPd9

    submitted by /u/samw1979
    [link] [comments]

    Old house. New cabinets. The floor isn't level. How would you cover up this gap?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    Recommendations: Welding Kit for a beginner?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 03:46 PM PDT

    Hubby is super handy with all things wood (that's what she said) but wants to get into welding, mostly so our house isn't exclusively full of wooden furniture; the place can't pull off the full Swanson look.

    I want to surprise him for his birthday but have no idea what I should be looking for. Any recommendations for a good kit for a beginner who's looking to use it primarily for furniture/decorative work, with maybe some repair stuff thrown in?

    submitted by /u/abracadumbass
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on getting rid of ants once and for all

    Posted: 02 May 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Hi all. First off, I apologize for the formatting, I'm on mobile. My family has had problems with ants in the house for years now. One fateful weekend in 2015 we went on a quick family trip, and when we got back we found all kinds of ants in our kitchen. Since that day the ants haven't relented once. We keep the kitchen clean, they find another way into our house. We put out bait every other day and they take some, go away for a few days, and then come in again from another entrance. Over the years they've found their way into our kitchen, living room, entryway, bathroom, and my bedroom(not either of the other bedrooms, only mine. I don't eat in there). It's getting to a point where I don't even like being in the house because they make me so uncomfortable. I feel like there's nothing we can do. We've sprayed the entire perimeter of our house with ant killer multiple times, and it hasn't done anything. It's like they sit feasting on our crumbs and laugh at us because we can't figure out how they're surviving. They come inside in droves when it rains, which is a problem living in Seattle. We can't really afford to get anything professionally done, so I was hoping some of you here on reddit could help us out. Is there something we're missing? Hopefully there is, and we can get it over with and done pretty quickly. Thanks you guys.

    submitted by /u/lkz665
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult will it be to move this tree?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    I want to move this tree in my yard. As you can see, there is already a small Japanese maple against the fence in the far corner, and then just out of sight on the L side of the picture, there's another Japanese maple in the opposite corner. Moving this tree to the fence line will open up my yard space and also provide privacy from my neighbors while allowing for more sunlight to a portion of my yard when I plan to garden.

    I'm most worried about relocating the tree and then it dies. What can I do to ensure a successful outcome for this Japanese maple? TIA

    submitted by /u/rizzo1717
    [link] [comments]

    Interior Paint secrets

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    What paint is the best value? Is there a store brand that is actually a top level paint but with a different label?

    submitted by /u/Dkopp
    [link] [comments]

    Did I make a mistake installing window wells with a lag shield in cinder block?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    I recently purchased a house that has casement windows in a basement where they sill of the windows are right at the grade line. (Probably slightly below if I'm being honest). So today I installed some window wells so that snow and rain can no longer collect at the windows. I used 3/8" lag bolts to connect the window wells to the brick. The top of the window well overlapped the brick while the bottom of the well overlapped the foundation wall. The foundation wall appeared to be cast concrete, but after an inch of drilling, my drill sank so it was cinder block after all. The lower bolt hole was below grade. I covered the lag shield in silicone and covered the threads of the bolt in silicone as well. Then I put silicone between the window well mounting flange and the cinder block around the body of the bolt. I guess a small amount of water could still find its way into the cinder block. (For the remaining window wells, I just bolted into the brick mortar bed). Anyone have an idea how bad this is? If it's bad, any idea how to fix my error? Thanks Reddit!

    submitted by /u/luka_luka_lula
    [link] [comments]

    Why are there staples in hardwood flooring?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    Bought a house and the flooring seems to be original from mid 90's. There are staples In Several locations, is this normal?floor

    submitted by /u/ablazingap3
    [link] [comments]

    I want to install a new shower head. What tool is needed to remove this part?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    Not even sure what to Google because I don't know what it's called.

    https://i.imgur.com/ygQzonq.jpg

    It seems to be pretty circular and smooth so I'm not sure if a wrench is correct? And there's plumber's tape underneath so probably on there pretty good.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/throwaway894261
    [link] [comments]

    How to do baseboard at threshold from tile to wood??

    Posted: 02 May 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    Finally getting around to doing the baseboards in our kitchen post-renovation (pictures of before/during/after), but I'm not sure how to do the baseboards where there is this step up from the wood floors onto the kitchen tile.

    Can anyone provide any insite/pictures/guides for how to do this and make it look good?

    pictures of the wood floor/tile transition

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/RedditBot90
    [link] [comments]

    How much to have a door installed in a finished basement bedroom?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 08:34 PM PDT

    I have a basement bedroom that never had a door installed (weird, right?).

    How much should I expect to pay a person to install a standard 32" door? Lower ceiling due to beam/hvac above.

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/YNhjuGe https://imgur.com/rs6rnc4

    submitted by /u/JeepMunkee
    [link] [comments]

    Turned our storage room into an work-from-home office

    Posted: 02 May 2020 09:29 PM PDT

    Since we have nothing else we can do with COVID-19, we decided to tackle some home projects. We had a room in our house that was non-conforming as a bedroom and used as a storage room. The room had the bare slab as a floor and nothing else much going for it. I work from home and decided it would make sense for this to be my office versus using an actual bedroom.

    Added some new LVP flooring, trim, lighting, and paint. Put in some smart switches and outlets and we're ready to as well. It cost a couple hundred bucks and a few weekends, but now we'll have an extra bedroom to take on foster kids after things open back up.

    https://i.imgur.com/9s0pOgs.jpg

    submitted by /u/delftblauw
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a Home that Needs Some Driveway Work - Does it Need to be Resealed? Cracks and Loose stones

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    Brand new build code violation?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    I know this is home improvement, but I am looking to get a home.

    So basically I am looking at a brand new build in the panhandle if Florida. It will be finished in 2 weeks.

    The thing is, the island in the kitchen is 5 feet by 3 feet. No sink or anything. Just cabinets.

    I read that power outlets were required in islands. NEC code 210.52(c) section.

    Am I right or misinformed?

    Should I bring this up to the builder? Or is this a sign this builder might have also skipped code in other places and should run away.

    Tldr; large kitchen island has no power, want to know if this is a code violation.

    submitted by /u/noom14921992
    [link] [comments]

    Please help identifying countertop

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    photos of counter

    Hello! I am trying to extend my countertop in my kitchen and am trying to identify the type of counter I currently have so I can match exactly. They are not actual stone, just a grey composite with white specs. The cabinets are from ikea I know if that helps. These were put in the house by the flipper I purchased from back in 2018.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/btrip793
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on covering grass strip by driveway to reduce maintenance time

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    TLDR: What should we do to prevent the grass from growing in a strip along our property line? More driveway gravel? Mulch? Lots of salt?

    My husband and I bought a house recently and there's a strip of grass along our property line adjacent to our driveway.

    There's railroad ties along the property line with the neighbor. If it matters, our driveway gravel is the same as the neighbor's.

    My husband doesn't like using the weed wacker every weekend to cut the grass down. It's anywhere from 2 feet to seven feet wide, and we're interested in getting it covered in gravel or some material that won't allow grass to grow through.

    The driveway is about 110 feet long, and the strip ranges from 2 feet wide to about six feet.

    We're willing to pay someone to do this. What are some options we should consider? We live in North Carolina on the Piedmont if that matters.

    Should we widen the driveway? It's just us two so we don't really need a wider driveway.

    Should we find some mulch?

    Do we need an underlayer to prevent weeds from growing? Weeds grow in the current driveway which is super annoying. Not sure what to do about it yet.

    Thanks in advance for the advice.

    submitted by /u/kinare
    [link] [comments]

    Office renovation complete.

    Posted: 02 May 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    All photos are captioned if you wanna skip to the good part!

    https://imgur.com/a/G7dOc8M

    This project started with us wanting to paint and replace worn out carpet in our "junk" room. We wanted to have a nice looking office/playroom.

    Our scope was to replace carpet with with vinyl flooring, paint the whole room, remove the ceiling fan, and add recessed lights. We knew the floor was a little uneven, but it didn't seem that bad.

    I intended to hire a local electrician for the lights and we often hire a local painter. The floor was something I planned to do myself.

    The hardest part was going to be cleaning out the junk room. It took a long weekend and some new wire racks in the basement. I pulled the carpet out the next night and found some issues. We found high and low spots of 1/2" or more in some places. It looked like the house builder used all scrape pieces of subfloor in this room.

    This stalled me for a long time. Eventually I decided on taking out all the subfloor to level the joists. Thanks to this old house, an episode in a old brown stone inspired me to do this.

    I used a skill saw set at the subfloor flooring thicknesses to rip the entire perimeter of the room. Then I pulled every nail with a crows foot and hammer. With the nails out the subfloor came up easy.

    Next used a 6' level to find where my problems were. I put joists into three categories ok, low, and high.

    I suspect the space under this room had flooded many many times and that led to the foundation moving and also put a lot of moisture in/out of the wood. We installed a French drain and worked on grading outside the year before and have not had flooding issues since.

    The high and low joists had new level joists sistered in level. I used bolts, glue, and screws to join old and new joists. The high joists I sanded or cut level to the new joists.

    I went with 3/4" tongue and groove Advantech subfloor. It seems fine and no issues to report. Glued and screwed it all.

    Then we added a layer of thinner board. I forget the brand, but it was stapled to the subfloor. This was to make my new floor end up at the same level as the rest of flooring on our first floor.

    For flooring we picked a vinyl plank from Shaw that had a rubber underlay built into it. This stuff is holding up great! I didn't need any tools except a good utility knife, a metal speed square, and a table saw to cut the width of my first and last boards.

    My only issues with the flooring install was mistaking the 8" width to literally mean 8", it was not. This made my final board very narrow and hard to install. I also didn't inspect my flooring and had to return three boxes that had damage.

    At this point I took a break and built a desk out of cherry. We decided on a purple accent wall. As planned we hired out the painting and electrical work.

    Do I regret ripping out the subfloor? Now I don't, but many days during this project I did.

    I think we spent something like $3.5-5K including furniture.

    submitted by /u/Melon_Howitzer
    [link] [comments]

    Product suggestions to screen in patio

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    I have this patio that I'd like to screen in (going to put up glass around the screened in porch above), and I was looking for some suggestions on products. https://imgur.com/a/8HZ3Usq It's about 8-10 feet which is taller than most screens that I have seen. I'm trying to avoid framing, are there any free hanging screens or mosquito nets or something? Also the side with the concrete I'd like to be able to slide that open to get in and out.

    submitted by /u/williamiger
    [link] [comments]

    Can I remove these vertical boards in my attic that run between my joists and rafters?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    These are the top of my attic stairs in my garage and I'd like to remove them so I can use that space more easily for storage. The run vertically from my garage ceiling joists to the rafters above my garage. I have no idea what they are or what they are for. The middle of my attic doesn't have them, but the other end of the attic near the soffits has them just like this. They are 1x4s and therefore don't seem big enough to be structural, but what do I know.

    Thanks.

    https://i.imgur.com/kLwAMyZ.png

    EDIT here's some more photos and explanation

    Here's some more photos. First one is the other end of the attic where there is no opening in the ceiling.

    https://i.imgur.com/T75aGO5.png

    Second photo is looking straight down from the roof. Right to left at the to of the photo is the joist that terminates for the header of the attic stairs. Top to bottom at the top is the vertical board in question. The doubled up 2x6 originating at the bottom of the photograph is a beam that runs across my garage and is parallel to the header of my attic door header.

    https://i.imgur.com/KJ2nHKy.png

    So, the joist that terminates for the attic stairs rests on top of the beam. Putting the vertical board there does nothing to keep the joist from flexing.

    submitted by /u/BCeagle2008
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a ceiling fan in place of a chandelier, I bought a ceiling fan support box but now I’m questioning if the chandelier box is strong enough. It looks like it’s pretty solid and the chandelier is about 20lbs, compared to maybe 30lb fan. Is it ok to leave the current light fixture box?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    Replacing chandelier with ceiling ompared to maybe 30lb fan. Is it ok to leave the current light fixture box in or is it too risky ?

    submitted by /u/DanielSon602
    [link] [comments]

    Need a white recommendation to match SW 6937 Tantalizing Teal front door.

    Posted: 02 May 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    I am looking for some white paint code recommendations to match my front door which will be painted SW 6937 Tantalizing Teal. The exterior of the home is Hardie shingle. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/peppapig604
    [link] [comments]

    What’s going on with my stair treads?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    Here's the link to the pictures of my stairs: https://imgur.com/a/yS6u1Tr

    So I've been slowly fixing up our stairs. Eventually we want to have the whole thing redone, but that's years down the line, so I'm doing things myself so we can live with it and see if it's a style we really want to stick with. I've removed the old thick oriental carpet runner, and painted the bannister black (we're thinking of eventually going with a metal railing). I want to sand down and make the treads look less orange, but why are they currently so uneven? I don't mean where the runner was, I mean some treads have very different colored boards running through them. Were they improperly stained? Thanks for your help!

    Edit: I edited so the picture of the treads close up come up first, as I think that's a bit easier to see what I mean.

    submitted by /u/corgidress
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to fix gaps in my hardwood floors?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    My house had the original oak hard wood floors from the 70s and there are quite a few large gaps (about an eighth of an inch). What's the best way to fix this? https://i.imgur.com/2TF55rO.jpg

    submitted by /u/mattgup
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment