• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 19, 2020

    Home Improvement: Update on my parquet floor repair!

    Home Improvement: Update on my parquet floor repair!


    Update on my parquet floor repair!

    Posted: 19 May 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    I'm so happy with the results! Here are the before/after pics.

    I've decided to fix my decades-old parquet floor. After much abuse and neglect, it was in such a bad shape that I almost removed it and installed a new hardwood floor. Fortunately, I didn't have the budget for it, so now I can be proud of my eco-friendly decision! :)

    At first I considered doing it myself, using a hand-held sander, but after figuring out that I wouldn't finish before the quarantine ends, I hired a guy to do it for me. It was not cheap, but still I spent less than a fifth of what I would spend replacing the floor.

    submitted by /u/daish33n
    [link] [comments]

    I cannot exert control over this thing without knowing its one true name.

    Posted: 19 May 2020 03:27 PM PDT

    Y'all have helped me before. My experience level is low, so be kind, as I may not have all the terminology.

    We have water coming in our exterior french doors and the moisture is warping the corner of the door jamb and the corner of the door itself on the outswing side. After several tests, the water does not appear to be coming in through the swinging door part, but from the window/door to the left of it. It looks like the seal thingie at the bottom has come away from the edge and either needs to be recaulked or replaced. Pictures: http://imgur.com/gallery/7x1EAys

    So two questions:

    1. Recaulk or replace?

    2. If replace, what the heck is the NAME of this strip??? So I can look up how to remove and replace?

    I have tried Googling this dumb thing all morning. Is it a rain deflector? Is it flashing? Halp!

    Pics of door

    submitted by /u/thevittorious
    [link] [comments]

    Replaced my sump check valves with silent check valves. Life changing.

    Posted: 19 May 2020 04:53 AM PDT

    I never knew I would be able to rid myself of the 'thud' coming from the pipes of the sump. I thought it was just part of having a sump pump.

    I should have just googled a long time ago and discovered silent valves.

    I replaced them (1 ejector, 2 sump) and it rained yesterday through the night. It is life-changing to not hear that noise through the night.

    submitted by /u/billyvnilly
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know who needs to hear this, but close and re open your water shut offs

    Posted: 19 May 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    So, I'm changing the sinks in a place that I moved into recently and the water shut offs would not budge at first. Took me 30 min of tinkering with them and a lot of pb blaster to finally get them to pop. So save future you some trouble and go close and re open all of your water shut offs. That way if there are any major issues, you can address them now and not while your house is flooding. Also, there is a nut directly behind the oval handle called a bonnet ( upon many other things) that you tighten a bit if you notice any water starting to drip when you deal with a shut off.

    submitted by /u/rdeuce88
    [link] [comments]

    I am that person that need confirmation from others before I do something or else I will feel like I am messing up! I am going to install interlocking pavers in my yard. I want to confirm if I would be doing this right! I am excited, yet scared.

    Posted: 19 May 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    I do not have any experience really with handyman work. My parents never let me touch anything since I was a girl, but hey, here I am now!

    I know very simple tasks(?).

    So installing pavers in my yard will be my first real gig and I am kind of scared.

    I am getting the concrete removed by a company. We have no idea how deep the concrete goes.

    So here is the jiffy I need confirmation on:

    - If the concrete is 6 inches deep, I won't have to remove any more dirt.

    - If it is 3-4 inches or 5 inches, I will have to remove enough that there is a 6 inch hole in the ground.

    - Use little wood sticks to mark off where the gravel will end, the sand, and then string for where the pavers should end.

    - I have to level out the dirt and then I can put the 4 inches of gravel on. I am going to use recycled 3/4" Crush & Run Gravel. Is that correct? Compact the gravel, wet it, compact it, wet it, compact it a second time, and then it is all ready.

    - Then I would put on the base layer of sand, which will be one inch. To know it is one inch, I will use 1" PVC pipes. I will use a wood 2x4 to pull it towards me so the sand becomes nice and leveled out.

    - After the sand is on, I can put the pavers on!

    - Once the pavers are on, I put on the polymeric sand and use a broom to gently brush it into the sand and then I can wet it all with a hose for the interlocking process to start.

    Questions:

    - When should I put the edge restraints on? I have seen people do it before the pavers have gone on and after the pavers have gone in. Should I do before or after?

    - I have seen people use a vibrating plate compactor for the last step, but I have seen others not do it. Is it necessary or not?

    The area I am doing is 240 sq ft rectangle. I have no idea how many pavers I will need. The pavers I am getting are 4x8 bricks and are $2.49 CND per sq ft.

    OH! And one I should know is that everything leveled has to be...sloping down the house, not sloping towards the house, right?

    (Not removing the concrete because I do not know where it ends as it is right up against the house, so I do not want to do anything that will mess with the foundation of the house.)

    edit: pictures of my patio https://imgur.com/a/YCLbHpo

    submitted by /u/ihavenoideawhattonam
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have strong sink opinions?!

    Posted: 19 May 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    We are gearing up for a kitchen remodel & are stuck on sink proportion. Currently have a 50-50 (double sink with equal size basins). Thinking of going to 70-30 -- small side for fruit/vegetable/hand washing with 70% side for the dirty dishes (have a dishwasher so really only hand-wash pots) . Other option is 60-40. Any strong opinions from those who have used one or the others?

    submitted by /u/MaritimeMuse
    [link] [comments]

    Is having 280V instead of 220V troublesome?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I've hired an electrician to do some random renovations, and he noticed that I'm getting 280V instead of 220V and 160V instead of 110V from my power company. He said that sometimes they send higher voltages to remote locations (which is my case) to compensate for <something I didn't understand>, and it should be ok.

    Should it be ok, though? I'm contacting my power company to figure out if there isn't a problem with my installation, but what could happen if I use 160V instead of 110V and 280V instead of 220V?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/daish33n
    [link] [comments]

    Paint tested positive for lead

    Posted: 19 May 2020 05:39 PM PDT

    I'm prepping a large piece of lumber to make benches. I got it from a recology place that dismantles buildings. Before sanding, I tested for lead paint. Test was negative. So I started sanding. I'm now halfway through the project in my backyard, and for shits n giggles I decided to use the other test that came in the packet.

    It tested positive.

    So now I'm covered in dust, my yard is covered in dust, and my tools are caked in dust. I did wear an N95 for the projects. I used 60 grit sand paper. How do I manage this fucking mess? I figure I would just wet everything down into the dirt, wait until it just damp, and then shovel it up. Any other suggestions?

    submitted by /u/rizzo1717
    [link] [comments]

    How should i insulate my shed?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    I have a fairly big shed that i'm planning on turning into finished brewery.

    it's about 250sq ft. 22' (W) x 12' (D) x 8' (H) with a 4ft pitched roof in the center.

    I live in AZ and summer temps can hit 110*f or higher. I planned on putting in a wall mounted 10-12k btu ac unit to help quell the heat while i'm working in there. but without adequate insulation, that probably wont help.

    i'm wondering if i should go with full on R-30 (or higher) or if i could get away with Foil bubble wrap and dry wall because that would save me quite a bit of money.

    submitted by /u/spaceghost_n_moltar
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendations on how to spruce my baby up

    Posted: 19 May 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    Link to the album

    Hello /r/homeimprovement ! First time poster here. I'm about to close on this 3 BD 3 BA home as my first purchase in DFW, Texas. I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how to update this house to this decade. I'm open to painting the brick but also open to other options. Also, I'm avoiding breaking down that brick wall to add windows (for now due to costs), more so trying to break up the monotony that is BEIGE. Thanks for looking!

    submitted by /u/DatAbsol
    [link] [comments]

    Problem: painting tall home exterior

    Posted: 19 May 2020 01:45 PM PDT

    I am in the process of re-painting our wood siding home exterior in Colorado. We have a very tall house that is located on the side of a mountain. We have gotten several quotes from painting companies, and we have chose one, but now we are running into a problem. The painter can paint 80-90% of our house with extension ladders, but a part of our backside he said can not reach even with a 60 foot extension ladder. We also have woodpecker damage in this area so it needs to be accessed for that too.

    My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for painting extremely tall houses besides long extension ladders? All of the painters I've spoke to have said they never have painted a house this high. We need a solution!

    submitted by /u/cryptowalk
    [link] [comments]

    How to repair water damage to popcorn ceiling?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    I live in an apt (in NYC) and recently water leaking from the apt above me caused part of my bathroom popcorn ceiling to fall down.

    Here are two pictures of the damage: https://imgur.com/a/KNCWKPf

    The damaged area is approximately 1 foot in diameter. I removed the hanging piece and a plumber has (hopefully) fixed the issue in the upstairs apt. Now I'm waiting for the ceiling (concrete) to dry out so I can do the repair.

    How difficult is this to do? Should I attempt this repair myself, as someone who has no actual skills but believes in my ability to follow youtube tutorials? Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/k_mountain
    [link] [comments]

    Mysterious pipe outside my house

    Posted: 19 May 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    Hey friends. I'm in the middle of a paver patio project and everything is going great with one caveat. I've got this random pipe sticking out of the ground right next to my house.

    Some context: we bought the house two years ago after it was remodeled. It was originally built in the 1920's. We live in Atlanta. The room behind this is the kitchen and I believe that that was true before the remodel as well. Below the kitchen is crawlspace. As part of the project, we sealed the foundation with vinyl paint and I can conform that this goes at least 3-4 feet down below the foundation.

    I would like to cut this off below ground and place pavers over it but I have no idea what it is or why it was originally put there.

    Any thoughts?

    https://imgur.com/7IUjaFc https://imgur.com/6XFzuId https://imgur.com/Ab3pRAB

    submitted by /u/johnnyauburn
    [link] [comments]

    Home improvement questions.

    Posted: 19 May 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I need some advice on some projects that I'm working on/ would like to start working on soon.

    Before I go into the advice part, I just want you guys to know what has been done so far. We've lived in our house going on five years now.

    A. Our old A/C unit went out so we had that replaced not even a week ago.

    B. Our house is a little old, so it had a fuse box. Shortly after the AC unit was put in we went ahead and switched out the old fuse box for a breaker box.

    C. Pulled up old overgrown landscaping (it was mainly monkey grass that got out of control...) and I've tilled it up and I've put down grass seed. It looks 100x times better already.

    Both A and B were done by licensed professionals and took all of our covid money and then some. My wife and I are still working so we collectively decided to use the extra money to fix up the house for ourselves/ if we decide to sell.

    What I'd like advice on -

    1. At some point in the life of the house (before we bought it) the water heater had a pretty nasty leak. The wood underneath the house where the water heater is has turned white from the moisture. Ive had three different people look underneath the house to look at it. First person was a home inspector who called it a "mold like substance". The other two (one was my step dad who used to build houses. The other a family friend who works for an exterminator company that sprays for stuff like mold/pests) both disagreed. The extermintor friend said the wood was still in good shape just had the discoloration. He said there wasn't any kind of moisture problem under the house (which the home inspector said we did have....). You guys have any ideas on what could be done? I feel better knowing the wood is in good shape

    2. What can I do with the old fuse box? I was thinking the electricians would take it when they finished. Nope. Left it by my trashcan lol.

    3. We have a sunporch. It was apparently at one point in the houses' life the car port for the house. The siding of it is cedar that's been painted. Looked fine when we moved in but now the paint is chipping off. I thought pressure washing it would be the way to go to remove the paint but the more I read the more I think I shouldn't. So I'm stuck with what I should do. Repaint it (and how best to remove the paint that is there). Or pay someone to hang vinyl siding (the more expensive of the two). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    Any insights into any of the above things would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Justaheroforfun1337
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use an existing concrete pad to put a cabin or small house?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    I have a vacant rural property that used to have a standard mobile home on a fairly large concrete pad measuring approximately 24' x 60'. The mobile home was removed, the pad is level, clean, and has no apparent crack, rot, or other damage.

    Can I build a small cabin, shed, or garage directly on it? I am looking at building something no bigger than 12' x 30'. Before I build anything, does it need to be tested or assessed by a professional and if so, what kind of person do I need to hire?

    Thanks for your advice.

    submitted by /u/ykphil
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for mosquito free open patio?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    Professional spraying Electronic zapper Rig netting somehow

    What are your best practices?

    submitted by /u/But-ter
    [link] [comments]

    Soffit repair (and a squirrel problem)

    Posted: 19 May 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    2 questions:

     

    I'm in the process of cleaning up my balcony to get it ready for summer and noticed the soffit is all mangled up as you can see here.

    Question #1 - I would like to know if repairing the soffit is as simple as placing it back in the rails and adding more screws where the wooden beams are in the structure above or if there's anything more to it?

     

    Now, the tricky part is that squirrels have found a way in my ceiling (2nd floor apartment, no attic above me), I'm guessing through the soffit hence the damage.

    If I repair the soffit I don't want to risk trapping the squirrels inside the ceiling and leaving them to die. I also feel like traps might be useless because I live in a dense urban area with tons of squirrels, so even if I trap a squirrel another could make its way inside there. I also don't know how many squirrels live up there but I know it's more than one.

    Question #2 - Is there a good way of removing the squirrels from my ceiling (and keeping them from destroying the soffit to go back in) before I repair the soffit without having to call animal control/exterminators?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/iqaluit
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get rid of a robin that keeps attacking my garage window?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    This spring for the last several weeks, a robin has been perching outside my garage window and pecking at it. Repeat ad infinitum ad nauseam. All day, every day. I wouldn't care if I weren't quarantined at home but the constant BONK and the motion of something fluttering outside the window is starting to drive me crazy.

    Any brilliant ideas?

    It's not legal to shoot them in my state (MI) as they're the state bird.

    submitted by /u/andpassword
    [link] [comments]

    New Flooring That You Can Actually Clean

    Posted: 19 May 2020 09:07 PM PDT

    We are in the PNW and are looking to replace the flooring in our house. We are looking at some kind of hardwood or hardwood-like flooring, preferably in a mid-tone or walnut color. We have kids and dogs. Most of the newer flooring that I'm seeing doesn't want you to have any moisture on the floor at all. It recommends just dust mopping and "occasionally" damp mopping without spraying the floor. That just seems kind of gross to me? Especially with dogs and kids, I'd like to be able to clean the floor regularly. Is there any kind of flooring out there that I can regularly clean? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/treegardner84
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing the Windows - I Don't Know Where to Start

    Posted: 19 May 2020 10:47 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I don't know squat about home improvements. My mother has put me in charge of organizing improvements on her home - starting with replacing all the windows to her house. The home is about 30-40 years old and it needs a lot of TLC.

    I don't know the home-improvement-speak and who does what. Where do I start? Do I just go to a window store and they do all things window related? I'm not sure what they do, but do I hire a general contractor?

    submitted by /u/INeedSomeMoreWater
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on MDF/HDF or wood doors for kitchen cabinets?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    Designer said MDF is resistant to getting hairline fractures in the corners due to temperature and humidity variation, however I was put off by how light and "cheap" the doors felt when operating them.

    I've gotten quotes from several places and the door material doesn't seem to be a big contributing factor.

    submitted by /u/karpomalice
    [link] [comments]

    Closing up in wall air conditioning units

    Posted: 19 May 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    Was just wondering what a normal range in terms of cost would be for this kind of project? We have (3) in wall air conditioners that we want removed and the wall insulated and sealed back up. Two smaller units are on the ground floor and easily accessible, one larger unit is on the second floor, probably will require a long ladder or scaffolding to reach it - around 15-20ft high. We already have the vinyl siding and paint in terms of materials. We plan to get some quotes locally but wanted to get some numbers/info here ahead of time to know what to expect and what is reasonable.

    submitted by /u/flamingovibez
    [link] [comments]

    Is replacing duct work diy friendly?

    Posted: 19 May 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    Hi, I want to replace the two rusted ducts that are at the return into the HVAC system. It doesn't seem too complicated, but that's where they get you.

    Take a look at the return and the rusted ducts please: https://imgur.com/a/jMy7oFw

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BlargleToo
    [link] [comments]

    Fix sagging ceiling

    Posted: 19 May 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    Hey home improvement,

    How would one go about fixing this shitshow?

    http://imgur.com/a/hsXa7I0

    I bought this house a year ago and figured I'd live with it but as all things go, I now hate it and want to fix it.

    Best I can figure, this used to be two bedrooms but they knocked out a wall and threw this up there to brace a sagging ceiling. I haven't actually taken that post out to assess how bad out of fear of it collapsing, but the post is wedged so it's definitely offering good support.

    I imagine I'll have to do it via the attic. Can I get some advice here?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ACanadianOtter
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment