• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 16, 2020

    Home Improvement: My new house has a hidden basement room. Should I leave it alone?

    Home Improvement: My new house has a hidden basement room. Should I leave it alone?


    My new house has a hidden basement room. Should I leave it alone?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    I just bought a house from 1890 in a historic area of Michigan. The home is high up on a hill and has a very dry surprisingly nice basement for the age. It is poured concrete with 7 feet tall rafter ceilings. I do not take possession for at least another month. I looked up the property tax record which contained a blueprint like drawing. Here: https://i.imgur.com/JJEHos3.png

    It has a note next to a 12 by 12 foot space in the basement that reads: "full basement. Has wall blocking access. Priced as crawl due to no access". When my wife and I toured the house we did not notice a false wall or anything, granted I was not looking for it and feel like I wasn't paying attention enough. There was a lot of shelving and personal items though so idk.

    So reddit, I'd love to have an extra 12 by 12 foot room and maybe the Oak Island treasure is in it, but am I walking into a mess? Anyone else have walled of rooms and how did it turn out? My wife thinks this is going to be a mess, but I don't know if I can stop myself from getting in their.

    submitted by /u/ThanksBeau
    [link] [comments]

    Why do contractors spend the time to come out for estimates and then disappear?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    it seems expensive to send people out to take pictures and take measurements. Are they just looking for suckers they can take advantage of and if you're not one of them they just pass?

    submitted by /u/aceofspades111
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: If you plan to purchase furniture from Ashley furniture, they price match multiple online outlets that can save you a ton of money.

    Posted: 16 May 2020 05:17 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    Just wanted to give you all a bit of a heads up in case you didn't know. With Ashley furniture being the only real big furniture store around here, my girlfriend and I often shop there for our furniture. I'm not sure if it's completely useful for this sub but they often price match on many online furniture stores, one particularly being homemakers.com.

    Recently we purchased a new kitchen table, a couple of couch sets and some end tables and by price matching saved close to $450. They also carry most of the inventory that Ashely carries so it works out well.

    That is all! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Bdubs21
    [link] [comments]

    How to tell contractor we’ve changed our minds?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. We're having some work done to our ceilings. Initially I contacted a contractor for the bedroom only. The way our bathroom is set up the contractor suggested we do the bathroom as well, which we agreed to. Now the bedroom is almost done, and we've decided we don't want to do the bathroom anymore.

    The reason is mostly I'm really worried about being furloughed from work, and doing the bathroom added on an additional 2k in cost. But the other reason is honestly that we just changed our minds and jumped into the project too quickly. I don't regret the bedroom, but doing the bathroom at this point seems silly and unnecessary. The contractor we hired is a really awesome guy and cut us a deal due to the lockdown situation (he has to work by himself vs. with a team so a 1week project is taking him 3 weeks). Has anyone been in this situation and asked for a project downgrade mid-project? This is our first home and I feel so clueless.

    submitted by /u/misstamilee
    [link] [comments]

    What home improvement project or chore seems like a waste of time to you?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    For me, it's pressure washing sidewalks. My neighbors have all been pressure washing their sidewalks all week. My spouse is doing it right now to keep up with the neighbors. We live in Florida. The sidewalks are going to be discolored again within a week. It seems like a waste of gas and water. I don't get it.

    submitted by /u/ejoanne
    [link] [comments]

    Is it even remotely feasible to expand my house by buying the one next door?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    I LOVE where my house is located but I don't like the size of it. It's small (750 sq ft). My neighbor next door has a corner lot that's basically sat empty for the past 6 mos or so. They were out today doing a ton of work on it and clearing out the non-running vehicles that were sitting in the driveway. It's possible they plan to sell.

    Is it at all feasible to consider buying this house and using the land to expand my own house? Ideal perfect world I'd want to demolish both houses and build from scratch but that could get really expensive really fast. There's only a one car driveway between the two homes so it might be possible to just build across the driveway and link the two houses. This would depend on the floor plan of the other house of course. It would leave me with two kitchens which could be problematic but one or both of them could be remodeled into something else. Again, this would all depend on the floor plan of the other house. From what I can gather, the rooms nearest my house are bed rooms.

    I know this might not be the right sub to ask this but I know there are a number of contractors on here who might have done something like this. Financially I can easily afford to buy the property. I have no idea what I'm looking at after that so I'd have to do some work there. I'm curious if it's even possible.

    submitted by /u/agreeingstorm9
    [link] [comments]

    I just ordered a 3d printer - what little plastic gizmos have you printed to improve your home?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    I'm excited about many aspects of having a 3d printer, but it occurred to me that there must be little things people print for home improvement.

    Attractive hooks perhaps? Door stops? Others?

    Surprise me with your creativity!

    submitted by /u/bms42
    [link] [comments]

    Re-staining a deck. Do I have to sand off the old stain first or is there a way around that?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    I have a large deck and about 50 wood balusters. The old stain has worn off in varying degrees and I don't know what it was so have to use a new one. The thought of sanding the whole thing gives me nightmares and I'm wondering if that's the only way to approach this or if there's another way to re-stain?

    submitted by /u/ChickenYale
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn how to do all things home improvement but I don't have a home (I rent an apartment). How can I get some skills for this stuff without having a home to work on? What are some things I can learn that will translate well?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    If the answer is "youtube and episodes of This Old House until you buy a home" so be it, but I was hoping you guys might have an idea for how I could become a better home improver without a home.

    I was thinking it couldn't hurt to learn some basic woodworking but after that I'm lost.

    submitted by /u/ManInBlack829
    [link] [comments]

    Our first time putting up tile backsplash

    Posted: 16 May 2020 03:57 PM PDT

    Post cover photo

    We recently moved into a new home and were disappointed that there was no backsplash in the kitchen. After months of going back and forth trying to decide if we were going to hire someone or do it ourselves, my wife and I got the courage to do it on our own. We've never done tile of any kind, so I was terrified of doing it. That being said, I knew other people had done their backsplash themselves, so I knew we could do it too. We watched a bunch of videos on YouTube, read various tips and tricks, bought the supplies, and waited for the kids to go to bed.

    The photos:

    Before

    Tile is up

    All done!

    Another angle

    Basic materials:

    The tile: MSI Amalfi Cafe Interlocking 12 in. x 12 in. x 6 mm Glass and Porcelain Mesh-Mounted Mosaic Wall Tile (1 sq. ft.)

    The mortar: Custom Building Products VersaBond White 50 lbs. Fortified Thinset Mortar

    The grout: Custom Building Products Polyblend #122 Linen 10 lb. Non-Sanded Grout

    The trim: Custom Building Products Silver 5/16 in. x 98-1/2 in. Aluminum L-Shaped Tile Edging Trim

    (And various other supplies)

    It's hard to say exactly how much it all cost, because I bought enough to do the wall where our stove is, plus all the initial supplies (trowels, floats, sponges, buckets, nippers, wet saw). Rough guess, we're all in at around $500. We definitely saved money doing it ourselves.

    Lessons learned:

    1. Put up all the trim first, that way you're not trying to pull it up the trim to put mortar under it.
    2. Make sure not to put the mortar on too thick. When I pushed the tile into the mortar, a lot came out through the gaps. Before grouting we had to spend quite a bit of time with a grout saw and a razor blade clearing out enough room to put the grout in.
    3. Make sure there's enough room for the screws for the GFCI outlet cover. I had to grind away some of the tile so that I could screw down the GFCI outlet cover.
    4. Make sure there's plenty of tape where you're not tiling to make sure you don't get mortar/grout where you don't want it.
    5. Make sure to have both big and small trowels and floats. It was difficult to get the mortar all the way to the edges just using the big trowel. I bought small ones the next day to make the grout process easier.

    We "practiced" on the wall without the stove/ microwave. We'll be tackling that wall starting tonight. And then eventually we'll be doing tile for the bathtub surround as well. By the time we're done, we should be regular experts.

    submitted by /u/johaen8
    [link] [comments]

    Is $15k enough to remodel a ~600sqft home?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 10:50 AM PDT

    My mom is remodeling her home and I wanted to make sure she wasn't getting ripped off. She has contractor friend who is giving her a "good deal."

    She will be painting the walls one color throughout the house, new wood floors, new cabinets, new sink, new countertop, removing bathtub and replacing with shower only, new sink and toilet.

    Thank you!

    Edit: located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago

    submitted by /u/real_deal272
    [link] [comments]

    Should a in wall AC unit be set to a low setting for a while or should I do bursts of it at a higher setting?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    Like it's 1-10. Should I have it at 5 for a while or 8 for moments of time?

    submitted by /u/andrewstern57
    [link] [comments]

    Pocket door keeps getting stuck in pocket. Any tips to prevent door from going too far?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    Our pocket door keeps going too far into the pocket which has made it difficult to reach in and grab it. A few people have cut their hands trying to slip their hands in to grab the door to pull it out. We have considered adding a handle but we don't want it slamming into the pocket (and damaging it) or preventing the door from closing. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/yankees2828
    [link] [comments]

    Unfinished garage - drywall questions

    Posted: 16 May 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    First time poster and new to home improvement, glad this sub is here as a resource.

    I have a 1-car detached, unheated garage at my townhouse in Boise, ID. Right now it is unfinished with visible studs and exposed nails from the siding. I'd like to drywall it to reduce risks of the nails and make it look better before I rent out.

    My questions are:

    1. Would it be OK to leave the ceiling open? I'd prefer not to mess with the garage door hardware if possible and I'm mainly concerned about the nails on the walls where someone could hurt themselves. Not sure if it will look like sh*t or if there is another reason to reconsider

    2. I'm inclined to not insulate prior to drywall. Any reason to reconsider? Garage is small and in a downtown area so most likely use is parking and storage, not a workshop etc. since it isn't heated or cooled seems like a moot point in either case, want to confirm my assumption

    Thanks for the knowledge, garage seems like the perfect place to get my feet wet with drywall

    submitted by /u/radioactive__ape
    [link] [comments]

    New homeowner. Can someone tell me what's going on with the paint on this wall I'm currently prepping to paint?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 10:32 AM PDT

    Currently prepping a room to paint. When I'm taking off face plates, curtain rod holders, etc it looks like the current paint is sticking to the fixtures and coming off as I remove them.

    Can anyone let me know what's going on here? Is it enough to sand these spots down? Do I spackle it?

    Here's a pic: paint sticking to face plate and peeling off

    submitted by /u/CaptBassfunk
    [link] [comments]

    How do you fix textured wall like this

    Posted: 16 May 2020 08:05 PM PDT

    Title says it all. textured wall

    submitted by /u/DangerDre735
    [link] [comments]

    Pressure Washer Suggestions

    Posted: 16 May 2020 07:16 AM PDT

    I own a small painting business and I'm in need of a new pressure washer. It would get weekly use and be subject to a fair amount of abuse (in and out of trucks etc). Would love to spend less than $500 for a reliable machine. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/jasonaborn
    [link] [comments]

    Asphalt Driveway Resurfaced - Did I get ripped off? (Album in comments)

    Posted: 16 May 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    Recently had my driveway resurfaced and I'm curious to see what you guys think.

    This is my first asphalt driveway and I'm unsure how to judge a resurface job. The driveway cost $3600.00 for 2inches of overlay of an existing asphalt driveway (1,755 sq ft)

    Album Here

    Second Album one video included

    submitted by /u/SitrukSemaj
    [link] [comments]

    Spice cabinet drawer glide

    Posted: 16 May 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    I have an upper spice cabinet that is in between the fridge and microwave. It current runs on full extend drawer glides, but I would like it to at least extend another 4", so I can reach/see everything. I haven't had any luck finding a glide that over-extends that far especially with a depth of only 11". Any one know of a type of glide that would work for this, or have another solution?

    submitted by /u/ehammer83
    [link] [comments]

    How do you repair scratched hardwood floors?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    I am staying with my sister at her new house and I set up an office in my room. And the chair I have been sitting on as scratched up there floors. How do I restore this as it was? I feel quite fucked right now. Guys her husband literally said careful with the floors they scratch easy.

    https://imgur.com/a/mPFHCM3

    submitted by /u/Kroywennow
    [link] [comments]

    What do you call these type of storm window latches?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    The pins are slowly falling out of our storm windows, making it hard to open them. What is this type called?

    Photo here

    Is there a way to fix them without replacing the window?

    Edit: link

    submitted by /u/prairiebud
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to have a walk in shower installed

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    Hey you guys, thinking of having a small walk in shower installed on my bathroom and was wondering what kind of costs am I looking at? Not lookin for anything spectacular just want to get rid of the jetted tub that no one ever uses lol.

    submitted by /u/mrpowell6302
    [link] [comments]

    Gas vs. Electric lawn mower

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I'm looking into buying a lawn mower-up until now we have been paying someone to cut the grass but we want to save money and its not economical to keep doing that. I have about 1/4 acre that needs to be mowed, flat terrain so I don't need anything fancy. Is there a big difference between electric vs. gas? What about repairs? Wanting to make sure we are able to fix our own fairly easily.

    submitted by /u/blue0507
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a front porch swing?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:07 PM PDT

    We have a perfect front porch for a bench swing. I've found one I like, but I'm uncertain how to proceed. I assume I need to find the joists in the porch ceiling to hang the bench from, but I'm not sure how to do so without ripping it up?

    Has anyone installed one of these, or have suggestions for how to go about it?

    submitted by /u/iugameprof
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment