• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 17, 2020

    Home Improvement: Good people, please post picture of your organized garage. Need inspiration.

    Home Improvement: Good people, please post picture of your organized garage. Need inspiration.


    Good people, please post picture of your organized garage. Need inspiration.

    Posted: 17 May 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    My garage is a mess, tools, random boxes. Would love to see how people organized their garage.

    submitted by /u/offenderWILLbeBANNED
    [link] [comments]

    Hung my patio furniture on the wall

    Posted: 17 May 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    My "patio" area (AKA driveway) doesn't allow me to leave a set of outdoor funiture out. I found this folding patio table at Walmart and my creative juices started flowing. There's 8 chairs in the picture. I can take down and unfold a table and 4 chairs in about 1 minute for my family. The seat belt buckle/strap is only to stop my youngest (4 y.o.) from pulling it down.

    https://imgur.com/a/lhxpArE

    submitted by /u/NervousCaptain
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone ever wish they just rented?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 07:16 PM PDT

    I get tired of owning sometimes. I find it rough. There's always something I want to do. Those things don't always go according to plan. Looking at things I did that aren't 100% bugs me.

    Sure, it's more security than renting, I can do whatever I want with it, it's an investment, etc. And I learn things. But I'd trade it all in a heartbeat for a super nice apartment.

    submitted by /u/Grahf0085
    [link] [comments]

    Wrecked my deck...need help! (power washer gone wrong)

    Posted: 17 May 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    I need your help!

    New home owner. Wife and I don't like the colour of our blue deck. Paint was chipping off it everywhere. I get the bright idea to power wash the paint off it using a paint stripper. I planned to sand and stain it with a transparent stain/white railings & spindles.

    Well...turns out this thing had 3-4 coats of paint on it. I spent 4-5 hours power washing it today and the thing looks awful. I could barely get the paint off the deck floor. I don't know where to go from here. I don't think I can paint it let alone stain it in its current state.

    Any advice? I'm thinking belt sander once it dries out but I could really use some direction...

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/JHcjNdO

    submitted by /u/Little_Sader
    [link] [comments]

    Concrete counters

    Posted: 17 May 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    I am wanting to put concrete counters in my home and I am trying to find a black mix in dye. Im really struggling to find a black dye. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a dye or where to get a dye. We are looking make this concrete as dark of a black as possible.

    submitted by /u/Smoke_the_Bear
    [link] [comments]

    Room color

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I am looking for a neutral color paint that will go well with the dark brown and black furniture. I don't want just a plain white or gray. I am planning on removing the ugly wallpaper as well. photos

    submitted by /u/niarb-gib
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor wants to cut down my tree

    Posted: 17 May 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    So my neighbor came over and said he was going to cut down a couple trees but wanted to check with me first on one of them since it was on my property. It's a tree on my property that's leaning over and supported on one of his and if it fell I could probably take out a couple of his fences. The tree

    I know legally it's not my problem because I had a neighbors tree fall over on my fence and even though it was her tree, I had to pay for the damage and get it removed.

    He said he wanted to get a quote on it and a few of his and I was curious how much cost/percentage do you think I should pitch in on taking out that one tree? (He didn't ask for payment, at least not yet)

    Homeowners insurance and the law says if a tree falls on your property even if it was from a neighbor, is your problem and they aren't liable. But was curious what you all think you would do.

    submitted by /u/jbeech01
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried one of the baseboard waterproofing systems?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:50 PM PDT

    I've managed to lessen my water problem with some exterior work, but I still get a bit water after an extended rain/heavy pour. Eventually, I'd like to finish my basement, but I need to control the water first. I was curious if anyone has tried the baseboard water proofing systems? They seem like a cheaper DIY alternative to the perimeter gutter systems, but do they actually work? Any recommendations on which brand to use?

    submitted by /u/jd22333
    [link] [comments]

    Which “extra outlet” should I choose? Surge, extension cord or tap safer? I live in an older house. I know I should get surge protectors for the tv and computer area. I need extra outlets in my kitchen,

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    I have the microwave, keurig, can opener and google home that all get plugged in the same area. In my bedroom, I have string lights on my window, rope light under my bed, I'd like to be able to flip a switch instead of digging for plug in each time. I also kee my phone charger there and a small 9 inch fan I keep in window. I bought some outlet taps from Walmart for like $3 a piece, are they safe or should I buy a "real" brand?

    submitted by /u/nonweirdaccount
    [link] [comments]

    Garage Door Opener Track is Bowed

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:36 PM PDT

    This is a TIFU.

    TL;DR: Used my garage door opener with the lock on the door. Rail where chain is became bent. But works fine. Do I need to do anything?

    One of our cars was broken into a month or two ago. The garage door opener remote was taken. Kind of a long one.

    As a precaution, we unplugged the garage door opener and placed a lock.

    Well, today I learned how to reprogram the opener. I got it all reprogrammed. And then allowed the opener to open the garage door. Like an idiot, I FORGOT THE LOCK ON! Luckily, I caught it early. Stopped the door. Closed it right away. After removing the lock, and letting the door open and close, it seemed fine. But when I look at the track for the garage door opener where the chain is, the track is bent to the side opposite of where the lock was.

    Do I need to get this replaced?

    submitted by /u/WanderingNomad16
    [link] [comments]

    Using my oven makes me feel sick but I've been told it's not carbon monoxide?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 04:58 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right sub to post this on but let me know if it's not.

    I've lived in the same rented house for almost six months and had no problems with the natural gas oven until a couple months ago. One night I used the oven for about half an hour to roast some vegetables and noticed I was feeling a little weird but didn't really think anything of it.

    The next night I used the oven for an hour to bake something and started to feel really weird. I was feeling nauseous, lightheaded and disoriented. I realized it could be carbon monoxide from the oven so even though the nearby CO detector (which had been tested recently) didn't go off, I turned the oven off, opened all the windows, and went outside. I called poison control, who forwarded me to the fire department.

    It took about an hour of sitting outside in fresh air for me to feel normal, during which time the fire department came and went. They told me that their equipment sensed no carbon monoxide, even when they tested the oven.

    I know that I did not feel OK though and it only happened when I used the oven so I contacted my landlord, who sent an appliance repairman a few days later. The repairman looked at the oven and said it was working perfectly and that I would smell it if there was a gas leak.

    The only explanation he could think of was that something was burning in the oven and putting off fumes. This didn't make sense because the oven was still pretty clean and I had not used any cleaners on it since moving in. Still, I cleaned it with natural products. Even after that, I've felt the same way every time I use the oven.

    I've only used it a handful of times the past couple months for that reason and every time, I open all the windows and hang out in my backyard keeping an eye on the oven through the doorway. This is of course a ridiculous thing to have to do every time I use the oven and even then, I still start to feel weird just going in and out to check on things.

    I'm currently the only person living in this house so I haven't had a chance to see if other people feel the same effects. The stove part of the range works fine and doesn't have the same effect and I always use the extraction fan when using the stove or oven. I know something is wrong but don't know what to do about it because both the fire department and the appliance repairman assured me that it's not carbon monoxide. So, any ideas what could be happening?

    TLDR: I start feeling sick whenever I use my oven but the fire department and an appliance expert have both told me it's not carbon monoxide.

    submitted by /u/lobster-telephone
    [link] [comments]

    Pigeon is NOT moving

    Posted: 17 May 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    Literally looking for tips on how to physically move a pigeon off of my balcony. The internet only tells me how to deter them, which is great, but I actually cannot get it to stop sitting on my balcony. The pigeon appears to be protecting an egg so I think it is being extra stubborn. I don't want to hurt it. But I've tried shooing it with a broom but it gets to the point of almost attacking me.

    submitted by /u/reyrey2204
    [link] [comments]

    Leveling a patio to flush mounted deck

    Posted: 17 May 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    Installing deck flush mounted to covered patio.

    https://imgur.com/a/oa2dqv7

    Patio is not level. 2" too low in one corner furthest from house. I suspect when they built it they put a slope to it thinking it would be exposed to rain. However it's covered and never gets wet.

    Which method should I use to bring it to level?

    submitted by /u/j3rv4r
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on building a fire pit

    Posted: 17 May 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    Hey, so I'm new to the whole home improvement thing. Due to the quarantine I've decided to make my simple NJ townhouse look nice. I really want to build a nice brick fire pit in my back yard instead of the small metal one I already have. As seasoned house improvement veterans what tips and tricks can you offer me

    submitted by /u/wafflewizurd
    [link] [comments]

    Yard So Dense with Weeds

    Posted: 17 May 2020 10:09 AM PDT

    There's a small area of my lawn (about 400 square feet) that has so dense in weed growth it's making it near impossible to grow grass. I'm looking start over.

    What are some suggestions? I've heard various opinion from over seeding to tilling to killing the entire lawn and starting new.

    I have two dogs and want something that can be safe for them. I can put up a temporary fence so they can avoid that area if chemicals are needed.

    submitted by /u/rfreeman85
    [link] [comments]

    Building a shed, need to make sure my foundation is OK

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    Image of shed build: https://imgur.com/UrPK1UF (just framing)

    I'm building a 10x14 shed on already flat ground in my back yard, and my plan is to use four 4x4x14 skids to hold my 2x8 joists on, then use a few anchors to hold down the joists. I'm getting a lot of different information about what to do and what not to do when building a shed foundation, and I'm worried that all of my effort to over-engineer this project may go to waste if my foundation sucks.

    I live in Michigan, which definitely gets cold, so I worry about shifting. I've already purchased all of the lumber and it's sitting out there waiting for me to make up my mind and for the rain to stop someday.

    Is this going to be OK? Do I need to lay gravel down? Do I need to go even further and dig post holes that go under the frost line? Am I overthinking this?

    submitted by /u/stringpoet
    [link] [comments]

    What are some QOL improvements I can do while I am stuck at home for the foreseeable future ?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:15 AM PDT

    I've been working from home for the past two months. In that time I've started to notice a few things that I think I can improve pretty easily. For example:

    • The fan in the master bathroom is really loud. I bet I could find a replacement that is quieter.
    • The back door could probably do with a storm door.
    • The LED bulbs used throughout the house are a mishmash of whatever happened to be on hand at time of replacement. That should probably be more consistent.
    • Allergies are terrible. Looking into an air purifier. I change my HVAC filters regularly.
    • Pocket door track is wonky and squeals. I wonder what's going on there?

    Since I am going to be working from home for the foreseeable future, I am wondering what else I can add to my list ? Anyone else getting Tell Tale Heart vibes sitting at home?

    submitted by /u/bushnrvn
    [link] [comments]

    Lighting options

    Posted: 17 May 2020 08:47 PM PDT

    Anyone know if I can alter the light in these fixtures? Way too bright/cool toned for my eyes and cannot seem to adjust. Never seen this type of lighting before so have no idea what options I have.

    https://ibb.co/K57yrT9 https://ibb.co/vYJCxRY

    submitted by /u/fluffywhitwhit
    [link] [comments]

    Using unfinished attic for storage

    Posted: 17 May 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    With all this extra time at home, the wife and I wanted to overhaul the way our house is organized. We clearly need some extra storage space, but our house (located in NJ) does not have have a garage or basement. There is an opening to our attic, so today I went poking around up there. Here's what I can see:

    • Joists are 2" x 6" and 16" on center.
    • The peak of the roof is only 4' so not much headroom... essentially a crawl space above the house.
    • Cellulose insulation was used and some spots have settled below the height of the joists, while other areas are piled higher.
    • Before the cellulose was installed, someone made boxes out of a rigid insulation to cover/protect junction boxes.

    In my head, the project would simply involve screwing down plywood and installing a light or two... but I know it's not that simple. My questions are these:

    1. Thickness of plywood? We're not looking to pack the attic with everything we own... just stuff like empty suitcases, seasonal clothes, and holiday decorations. Due to the low height, I don't think we could even stack two storage bins on top of each other.
    2. How should I handle the junction boxes? I know you can't hide a junction box behind a wall, but all of these boxes are accessible from INSIDE the house. Am I required to keep them accessible from the attic space as well? I was planning to make a mark on the plywood wherever a box is located underneath.
    3. Is it OK to move the cellulose around? Some spots are higher than others, so can I simply brush the tall spots over the settled areas, or does disturbing it cause it to become less effective? Does covering a junction box with cellulose pose a fire hazard?

    I don't have any pics of its current state, but if it's helpful, I can take one tomorrow.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/w0rx4me
    [link] [comments]

    Alcohol use on job site

    Posted: 17 May 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    I purchased a home a few months ago which I'm having renovated before we occupy it. I've hired a contacting company who had good reviews and who I've been otherwise pleased with their work so far.

    Today, I went over to the house to inspect the progress of the work and to take some measurements. While in the garage I caught a whiff of stale beer and upon opening the garage cans found about half a dozen empty bottles of Corona. The cans are always in the garage, never outside, and only the workers have been in the house, so there is no doubt that members of the crew were drinking on the job site (my home).

    I'm not against drinking or kicking back after a hard days work on a Friday, but I'm not really excited about the potential liability I might face with this going on in my home that's a construction zone.

    How should I handle this?

    submitted by /u/Corporal_Peacock
    [link] [comments]

    Interior Door Slab Replacement?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    Based on the advice of this community I've decided to replace the cheap, hollow-core, bedroom door slabs our previous owners installed before they sold the place. I will not venture into replacing the frame, just the slabs (we painted the walls last year and I WILL mess them up). They are 6 paneled and seem to be pretty standard sized though they vary by a quarter-inch here and there. A few questions for you kind people:

    1. The previous owners clearly just replaced the slabs (not the frame) so I imagine it's not hard to replace but if it's needed, is trimming a door easy? I have experience with pretty basic tools but never done anything like that before.
    2. I haven't been able to find a solid-core, single bored interior door slab. Solid-core slabs at HD tend don't seem to be pre-bored. Am I looking for these properly?

    Thanks to all!

    submitted by /u/videoinvasion
    [link] [comments]

    Where to find interior metal box planter replacements?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    So I have no idea what these things are called and searching the internet was a bust when I can't figure out what to search. I'm guessing it's a planter of some type.

    Anyways the original ones to the house were very badly rusted and I attempted to scrape the rust off to prime and paint them but the metal just began crumbling.

    Any ideas on the best place to look for a replacement and maybe what material to use? I'd prefer not have a giant rusted mess again unless maybe painting the metal can prevent that. Any advice is appreciated

    Picture of old metal boxes and where it goes

    submitted by /u/justpostagain
    [link] [comments]

    A fireplace facelift, uncovered this 80-year old beige art-deco(?) design. Home was built in 1940 by architects kaplan and Sprachman. Keep or replace?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    I have tried to maintain as much original character of the home, while still introducing modern elements. Original wainscotting and window/door trims in gum wood have never been painted. I was planning on refacing the fireplace until I uncovered this under the tiles and wood yesterday. Now I'm at a loss what to do. If I keep, should I paint it? Living room walls will be a light grey, most likely. Was also planning to put in an electric fireplace.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/EcNcL6C

    Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/mimi0067
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment