• Breaking News

    Monday, May 18, 2020

    Home Improvement: Converting a mud house without dimolishing it

    Home Improvement: Converting a mud house without dimolishing it


    Converting a mud house without dimolishing it

    Posted: 18 May 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm (m50) from Ethiopia. I've my parents house built 44 years ago. It's built with wood and mud. A typical African mud house of around 100 square meters. It has been well maintained and still liveable.

    Both my parents passed away recently. I'm thinking of converting it to a more geometrically correct modern house without demolishing it. One thing bad about the house is its geometry. The house has one living room, three bed rooms, a kitchen and one bath room.

    What I'm thinking is if I could use wood boards on the top of the mud walls to renovate the house.

    I heard that in US, you guys are good in constructing houses using only wood and wood boards.

    I can post pictures of the house to give further details of what I'm saying.

    I'm looking for good ideas and advice that will help me advance my project.

    Looking forward for any kind support. I thank you.

    submitted by /u/FikruYK
    [link] [comments]

    Hello people of Reddit, what would you love to own in your house, but, nowadays, doesn’t exist?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 07:10 AM PDT

    Friends, show me your basement storage! I need some ideas for my 60s dungeon.

    Posted: 18 May 2020 05:03 AM PDT

    My spacious ranch basement from the 60s is in need of revitalization. I want to make the far end inhabitable, but that means passing through the area where I keep our junk. I want to make it somewhat presentable, without sacrificing its utility. Building more shelves manages the mess, but that doesn't prevent it from looking like a cave.

    submitted by /u/ForEden
    [link] [comments]

    City Patio Project

    Posted: 18 May 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    Link: https://imgur.com/a/hyi4YRQ

    Since my wife and I aren't going anywhere for a while, I accelerated my patio project so we could enjoy being at home while COVID has us locked up here.

    submitted by /u/nickcappp
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to install a pre-hung front door?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    My husband and I want to replace our cheap front door. We're not very handy, but good at following directions. Is it realistically something we could do ourselves? If we have to pay someone else to do it, it moves too far down the priority/cost list to do right now.

    submitted by /u/wineandcoffee
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-designed Pergolas

    Posted: 18 May 2020 07:57 AM PDT

    Hi all.

    My wife and I are looking at solutions similar to this:

    https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/paragon-outdoor-verona-115-w-x-166-d-metal-pergola-with-canopy-pgno1000.html

    We asked a couple of contractors about building one that's fixed to our house, and the average bid was $13.5K, so we're wondering if anyone has gone the pre-fab, free-standing route. If so, something we could install on our own? I'm pretty handy and have a couple of friends who could help. Otherwise, the contractors want $2K to install.

    submitted by /u/sp3ci4lk
    [link] [comments]

    Angry review about septic tank-question

    Posted: 18 May 2020 07:34 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! My husband and I are looking to buy a house , that has a septic tank,and as we are researching the builder we see a very angry comment from someone else who tried to buy the exact house that said that the spray field is 1000 sqft too short. She came across this when she looked into potentially getting a pool built. We've never lived in a house with a septic tank and have no idea what this means. Help?

    Update: thank you so much for all the advice!! Ultimately, we decided to walk away. The house is beautiful but the builder showed his true colors when we met with him to go over negotiating. Moral of the story- do all your own inspections before buying a house. Never use with what they give you especially when they tell you they use the " best" in town.

    submitted by /u/flight1411
    [link] [comments]

    Cutting foundation to prep for waste & drain line repipe!

    Posted: 18 May 2020 10:32 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/0NEoEtm

    Hey y'all, I know it's Monday but I wanted to throw out my weekend project!! I need my waste pipes re done because of bad cast iron. It's saving me a ton of money to do the prep work myself.

    Got two quotes, one for $12,000 and one from the more reputable plumber for $7,700 and if I did the prep work myself, only $4,700 So I borrowed a concrete saw from a buddy and heavy duty pry bar & went to town. I got everything out in big pieces. Hardly any rubble and small bits compared to what it could have been with a jack hammer.

    Now by next week I'll have brand new waste lines, shower and sink drain lines and kitchen drain line!

    Remember kids, always get multiple quotes and don't be scared to do it yourself!!!

    submitted by /u/KeithGPhoto
    [link] [comments]

    How do I install a bolt on this door that is not flush with the wall?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    My duplex was recently broken into. The handle lock was destroyed by some method. Cash stolen. Now I'd like to bolt this door but how do I install it when it's not flush? Also, any recommendations on the most secure style/brand of bolt apparatus?(http://Diy https://imgur.com/a/pzmRnHx)

    submitted by /u/KurtG85
    [link] [comments]

    Stripping old house baseboards/trim - perhaps talk me out of it?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    UPDATE: Thanks y'all. I think I'm going to wear a respirator and sand down some bits (gloops are latex paint) on a couple spots and completely remove trim and baseboards everywhere else. Thanks for talking me off the ledge, I have a ton of citristrip in the house left by a friend and I could easily have created a massive timesuck for myself.
    --------

    I live in a 1931 house in a college town. It's in great shape structurally, but I knew it needed some cosmetic work. Unfortunately, in the last few years it became a student rental owned by out of town landlords and every paint job has been wildly sloppy. There is a teeny tiny hallway I need to paint, and about half of the surface area is doorway trim, cabinet trim, and baseboards. I can't just paint the walls without addressing the trim - just full of GLOBS of paint, and probably some lead paint underneath given the age of the house.

    It looks like the amateur landlord folks who owned it before just painted a new layer of extra gloopy paint every tenant change instead of cleaning the trim properly, and now it's impossible to keep clean as all the bumps and texture accumulate dust etc. (plus two truly massive dogs don't help).

    I have stripped paint off some of our wood paneling (which is gorgeous, but they did the same sloppy painting on adjacent walls leading to quarter-size gloops on the bare wood that were never cleaned) and one long windowsill using Citristrip, toothbrushes, scrapers, etc. These were not nearly as coated and were from an addition to the house without lead paint. I do plan on repainting the wood. Most of the trim is flat surfaces, not curved. I just want a normal, not insane paint job and easier-to-clean surfaces.

    So I guess my questions are, I guess:
    - If you have done this, how much of your life did it take up? Was it worth it?
    - What products would you use?

    submitted by /u/Tympan_
    [link] [comments]

    What is this sillcock model and the part?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    Album: http://imgur.com/gallery/eeTmM9B

    I'm trying to stop a slow leak from right behind the handle. Tightening the packing nut didn't work. I opened it up and found this white rubber part right behind the packing nut that was pretty worn out (see the last photo in the album). I'd appreciate if someone can identify the model and the part. The black o-ring behind the packing is my attempt at fixing it but it didn't work.

    submitted by /u/italophile
    [link] [comments]

    Can I touch this up or do I need to repaint completely?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    https://m.imgur.com/II7rE3I

    My kitchen cabinets are an (almost) completely black. At the handles they've started to wear. It's there a way to touch this up or do I need to repaint completely? If so, do I just get some regular latex paint?

    submitted by /u/MonocotyledonousShy
    [link] [comments]

    Was shiplap originally ever a finished surface, or has it been glamorized by modern celebrity interior designers?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    Shiplap has never, in my experience, been used as either a substrate, or finished surface in my region. However, I know that it was a popular substrate for various wall finishes in older homes in parts of the south. With my limited experience with it in mind, I can't help but think that this technique done in other regions was meant as a substrate/underlayment, rather than a finished wall. When an HGTV personality uncovers it, they always act like it was some hidden treasure that was hastily slapped over with some ugly plaster or drywall. This makes me wonder if in 100 years someone will rip up flooring and think that the ugly laminate was covering up the hidden 1/4" luan underlayment. I've used shiplap on my own home, and love the look of it, but was it ever really meant to be a desirable finished surface?

    submitted by /u/Bigredmachine878
    [link] [comments]

    Indvididual tile replacement - help me do a better job than my builder

    Posted: 18 May 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Hi

    Master bathroom, non-wet part. Floor squeaking like MAD. I couldn't take it anymore. I managed to source identical tiles that are color matched, so I am going to replace at least 3 tiles.

    I used a manual grout saw to get rid of the grout around the first tile. Then I drilled 3 small holes in the tile in a corner, and then i banged it with a chisel to break the corner off. Then I used the chisel to lift the tile.

    The tile came off super easy, and I could peel the thinset off the backer board with my fingers. The thinset also didn't seem to cover the entire tile properly.

    The backer board according to builder is 1/4" cement board. To me it seems to be a bit fibrous. I don't know for sure.

    Photos: https://imgur.com/a/9s9c3vz

    So, help me put new tiles on. I have never tiled before.

    My plan:
    a) Remove the rest of the tiles. Remove the 1 1/2" rusty nails (?!).
    b) Drill a pilot hole in each joist bay to locate the joists via an endoscope camera.
    c) Screw through the backer board and 3/4" OSB (sigh) to really fasten things to the joists using 2 1/4" backer board screws (and miss any water lines)
    d) Fasten the backer board to the subfloor using shorter screws of the same type
    e) Use medium set mortar to attach the tiles, using a leveling system (which one?) to keep the spacing consistent, approximately 5mm grout line (isn't that a weird number in the US?)
    f) Grout using "TEC 939 Mist" sanded grout

    The tiles are 12x24" porcelain tiles that are 9.5mm thick, also known as EcoStone from Pental Surfaces.

    I need help with thinset and trowel selection. I need the finished thinset to be about 3mm thick so that the tiles are level with the existing tiles. I believe if I use a 1/4" square notch trowel and a very thin back-butter I will get the achieved effect? Can anyone verify this?

    Do I need anything special to properly bond to this backer board?

    Also, anywhere I can actually buy LESS than a 50lb bag of whatever mortar I need?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Faldaani
    [link] [comments]

    Alright we have two post's to share organized spaces. Now show me your chaos!!

    Posted: 18 May 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    I have a problem.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/YPVSsTh

    I know I am not alone.

    submitted by /u/Thomas_anonymous
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Crawl Space Water Management .. HELP

    Posted: 18 May 2020 09:10 PM PDT

    Hi,

    My crawl space is bone dry in summer when it doesn't rain, however I live in PNW and it rains quite a bit, every time it rains for couple of days crawl space gets water in. I do have a cheap sump pump in a deepest part of the crawl space. The pump does the job, but there is always some water there.

    It was like this when I bought the house and now it is bothering me.

    I want to put in french drain around the inside perimeter of the crawl space, put new collection basin and a new sump pump.

    So specific questions I can think of are :

    1. How deep should I dig?
    2. How wide should I dig, I am planning to put in perforated pipe in, 4 inch is good ?
    3. How much gravel do I need under and over ?
    4. What size gravel should I buy ?
    5. Recommended pump to buy ?
    6. I am planning to do this alone. How many days would it need !?

    Any resource, reading material, video that would help here?

    How much would it cost me if I hire professional? And should I just hire professional to do this ?

    Thanks in advance for guiding me on my home improvements !!

    submitted by /u/BuddyFromNepal
    [link] [comments]

    Quartz or Laminate Countertops

    Posted: 18 May 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    Wife and I want to redo the kitchen counters and backsplash in the near future. Been going back and forth on whether to pay for the more expensive quartz installation or go with an affordable laminate countertop. Quartz and backsplash looked to be about $5000 installation while the laminate would be significantly cheaper and we could potentially DIY

    We're in a 1959 house that we'll probably only be in for another 5 years or so. We're looking for durability and a good resale value. Appreciate any recommendations or things I should think about

    submitted by /u/jiveturkey38
    [link] [comments]

    how to hang a heavy mirror on hollow door?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    So, I have been looking to get a mirror into my room however, there is no room for a mirror on a stand. I've been thinking of mounting one onto my closet door, but there is a problem. There is a certain mirror that I've been looking to buy, and it is 33 pounds. My closet door, as the title mention, is hollow. Closest i could compare it to is maybe plywood.

    I've looked into non intrusive ways to hang this mirror but i just can't trust a command strip to hold a 150 dollar mirror up on a closet, sliding door. What do you guys think my best route is? Should I just search for a lighter mirror?

    submitted by /u/necroklaus
    [link] [comments]

    Why do I keep stripping screws?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 09:03 PM PDT

    Can anyone tell me why 20% of the time when I screw into wood with my cordless drill (Craftsman v20) I get the screw halfway in and strip it?

    I'm preparing to hang gaspipe shelf brackets in my kitchen and if I start stripping them and trying another screw and repeating I'm worried I'll lose some structural integrity and mess up my tile.

    Any tips to help prevent this? Should I just pilot hole everything? Are zinc screws my problem?

    Project info

    Built and tiled a bump out and put wood behind the dry wall specifically for the shelves so I wasn't using anchors.

    The bracket is a pre made straight pipe with 4 screw holes to mount to the wall.

    submitted by /u/rkeller9
    [link] [comments]

    Porch delivery lockbox

    Posted: 18 May 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    I live in a rougher neighborhood, a part of the home defense subreddit too. I just bought a delivery lockbox and am planning on installing hardware to lock the box, and attach it to the railing on my porch. 3 of us live here, usually someone is home and can be awake for packages if needed.

    Anyone know any tips or have experience/success with these?

    submitted by /u/AuroraCosmoss
    [link] [comments]

    Removing 30 year old adhesive floor tiles. Ideas?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    Yesterday, my brother helped me remove an old adhesive floor in my laundry room. Problem is, we had a large issue with removing it as the adhesive flooring was basically rock. The age of the floor, and the water damage from the non ventilated dryer is my guess as to what caused it. The room was only about 150 sq ft and a basic rectangle so it was able to be completed.

    The issue I am having it that I want to also put tile into the bathroom which is the exact same adhesive flooring as the laundry room. We are estimating both floor are more then 30 years old (grandparents old home. Mother was able to guess from her memories) the bathroom is more then double the size with lots of twists and turns around appliances, as well as a low shelf that is gonna be hard to get under.

    Does anybody have any recommendations for how to remove the flooring in an easier way? We tried using an adhesive remover but that didn't help very much. The adhesive floor scraper we bought also was useless in removing. We ended up using metal spackle scraper which was the only thing useful. Any better ideas? I don't plan on starting the bathroom for at least a month. Anything would be appreciaated!

    Edit: I am getting a lot of inquiry's about asbestos in the flooring tiles. There is no asbestos. My father helped install the floors and he is certain of it.

    We also found out they are only about 20 years old and my moms memory is terrible.

    submitted by /u/zoomzoommotherfuck
    [link] [comments]

    I accidently put some dry cricket quencher down my sink and it is now clogged... Material is like orbeez but to a lesser extent. Should I try Draino?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    Hi!!

    So basically. Title. I was cleaning a reptile dish and didn't realize some was left on. It expands in water so I'm guessing it's just blocked up. Seen some recommendations of salt, Draino, etc.. Basically just orbeez-lite

    submitted by /u/Gbro1862
    [link] [comments]

    What color can I paint the upper wall of a yellow and maroon tile bathroom? Pics inside.

    Posted: 18 May 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    https://m.imgur.com/a/nZ4oBdN

    The trim and door will be white.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/CleanFlow
    [link] [comments]

    I messed up

    Posted: 18 May 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    I built a fence this weekend and my dad told me to get the same size of drywall screws and I misunderstood and thought he said to use drywall screws. So all of my fence pickets are up from the black drywall screws. Will this be alright? Can I get some helpful ideas?

    submitted by /u/TheBeast1147
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment