• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 19, 2020

    Home security: Neighbor causing tons of drama, cops have been called repeatedly. Uncertain times. Time to beef things up. Please review my check list.

    Home security: Neighbor causing tons of drama, cops have been called repeatedly. Uncertain times. Time to beef things up. Please review my check list.


    Neighbor causing tons of drama, cops have been called repeatedly. Uncertain times. Time to beef things up. Please review my check list.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    So we've lived in the same home for a decade, there are only 3 houses on our small street. This is a relatively upper middle class super quiet neighborhood. That is until the new neighbor moved in.

    He has started fights with our other neighbor numerous times over property lines and apparently animal abuse and he's also a peeping tom (I know right, wtf is going on). He does all sorts of other aggressive behaviors like taking our garbage cans, parking his vehicles basically on our yards, and also perpendicular blocking the entire small road. Basically he's a huge confrontational asshole. The cops have been involved at least 4x that I'm aware of. I don't know all the details.

    So in that light + these crazy times we live in...time to beef up home security. So here's what I've gathered from this subreddit.

    -re-enforce doors. Maybkick plate and carpenter screws

    -wood/metal sticks for all windows and sliding doors

    -motion detection lights

    -home security sign

    -a nest doorbell camera or something comparable

    -trim all bushes/foliage to decrease "hiding spots"

    -Fence at maximum legal height (design is a work in progress)

    -HD weapon (I'm a long time gun user)

    -first aid kits, fire extinguishers, and a hiding/evacuation plan for the family

    what else am I missing? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/xixi90
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a self-monitored system that has good app control/notifications over WiFi

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    Looking for recommendations for a self-monitored system that has good app control/notifications over WiFi. I like what I'm seeing from simplisafe, but from what I understand you only get the app and mobile controls and alerts if you subscribe to monitoring. Also I dint have a land line, hence the desire to have it over WiFi.

    submitted by /u/engi-nerd_5085
    [link] [comments]

    Simple wifi enabled motion detection / camera

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 10:28 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a really low cost and simple motion detector for an airbnb I have. Basically I just want to notify me when somebody comes in or out since the property is going to be vacant for a while.

    Sound detection would be a plus but I care more about motion notifications.

    There is basically one choke point in the house where an intruder would have to pass through no matter what.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Omgfunsies
    [link] [comments]

    Friend wants a surveillance system recommendation with front door intercom.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    I have a cheap branded system that fits my needs but would not fit his, so I am looking for suggestions.

    He would like POE, local storage or free/low cost cloud storage, intercom for front door (can be through standard camera or door bell camera), and a smart phone app (must work on android, IOS is a plus).

    submitted by /u/bitchitits
    [link] [comments]

    Screened in porch workshop

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    TLDR at bottom:

    So I know this is sort of a far fetched idea but I have a house without a garage and I would like a space for a workshop. I could build a garage or a large shed in the back yard but that would be quite expensive and I would have to pull permits. I'm an electrician and pretty handy and I have enough other tradespeople in my family I could do the work myself but even so it would still be quite expensive to do what I want.

    That said I do have a porch on the front of my house that wraps around to a second porch on the side of my house and the second porch is screened in and pretty hard to see into from the street (my house sits back a good bit). The porch is about 10' x 20' and while I couldn't do everything I want in a workshop it already has power, it stays fairly dry and cool and I could do tinkering and small projects in there no problem. Except it's a screened in porch and anybody with a pocket knife could break in and walk off with all of my tools. So the way I see it, if I pursue this route I either need to find a way to secure the entire porch without being too much of an eyesore( for the wife's sake) or just make sure to lock up my tools in a way that they can't walk off easily.

    TLDR: I am thinking about putting a small workshop on my screened in porch and need to secure my tools from thieves.

    Here is a picture that shows pretty much what I'm working with:

    https://imgur.com/a/ZoRs5ge

    I am considering maybe putting a tall hedge along the outside (right in picture) to keep people off the side and/or maybe replacing the wooden lattice with a metal one and securing it so people can't just push it out. Then I could just put a more secure door on it. OR I just make sure everything is in tool boxes and figure out a way to make sure they stay in the porch.

    Thoughts? I know this is a long shot and if it isn't possible I will just save up for a separate garage/shed in the back but I figured I'd give this a try first.

    submitted by /u/straighterisgreater
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a BNC connected doorbell

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. I have a 16 camera system. I'd like to add a video doorbell but would like to just wire one to my system via BNC. Does something like that exist?

    submitted by /u/Sluggerknuckles
    [link] [comments]

    Security add-ons for front external door security

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 02:14 PM PDT

    I already have CPI active monitoring for security detection/etc, but I was looking into adding a thing or two to my front external main door. It currently has a standard lock and deadbolt. I've heard a lot of good things about the Defender Security U 11126 Reinforcement Lock, but am still looking for recommendations.

    submitted by /u/Outlander77
    [link] [comments]

    Building my PoE Security System - Need Guidance

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:05 AM PDT

    Hello, r/homesecurity.

    Wife and I just bought a new house and I'm trying to build us a security system. I've been spending the past week doing a bit of research on all the different types of security cameras, connections, software, NVRs, etc. I have an idea now of what I would like to accomplish and could use some help: A) making sure that this is even possible, and B) ensuring that I get what I need.

    My goal is to have continuous recording around our home that is saved onto a local device. I also would like to have motion detection, that once triggered will automatically alert me. The tricky part is that I'd also like to be able to drop in and watch the cameras while away, but I don't like the idea of giving a company 24/7 access to my cameras and/or home network.

    Here's what I'm thinking:

    • PoE Cameras with NVR. I like the Reolink RLK8-520D4-5MP

    • Gigabit PoE Switch

    • Local Router without internet access feeding into a dedicated home PC/RPi/NAS with internet access, to store footage and host a remote viewing program

    • HomeAssistant to manage devices

    I know the Reolink system linked above can do what I want; however, it has to be done so by plugging the NVR into your router and using their app, which gives them access to your footage/network to be able to send to your devices. If buying different PoE IP cameras and a stand-alone NVR makes more sense and allows me to do that, I can do that, too.

    I am pretty DIY handy with computers/tech, but I lack the experience in home security. Is there a way I can build a system that fits my needs? Or should I suck it up and use the Reolink as-is?

    Looking forward to your questions, suggestions and, most likely, corrections. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ZombieAstronaut
    [link] [comments]

    DAHUA IP cam SD22204T-GN firmware

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    i want to update the firmware but the firmware looks for a certain model and my cam has reset itself to IP PTZ CAM. The firmware upgrade wont finish.

    i know there is a firmware that jumps that hoop and it will install the latest (2018) firmware making the cam html5 capable.

    DOES ANYONE HAS THAT FIRMWARE???? it is not from the website itself. someone got it from a tech, but i cant find that treat anymore.

    Device Type SD22204T-GN
    Software Version 2.400.0001.0.T.T1.484, build : 2017-02-09
    WEB Version 3.2.1.345759
    ONVIF Version 2.4.2

    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

    u/dahua

    submitted by /u/marcoNLD
    [link] [comments]

    What is the Top Home Security Camera Brand in the Wold?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Accoruding to your experience,which of the worlds top security camera brand is installed in your home?.

    DAHUA,HIKVISION,SONY,PANASONIC,SUNBA,ZKTECO,POLLO,etc...

    submitted by /u/hashmi126
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment