• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 18, 2020

    Home Improvement: Wallpapering my bathroom in wedding invitations

    Home Improvement: Wallpapering my bathroom in wedding invitations


    Wallpapering my bathroom in wedding invitations

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:42 AM PDT

    Hi there! I just finished wallpapering my bathroom with the extra wedding invitations I had left over. They all had different vintage botanical illustrations on the back. See photo here: https://imgur.com/gallery/kzbGBY0

    I used wallpaper glue to adhere them to the wall. I'm looking for a recommendation on what to use to seal them to avoid water damage. Any suggestions?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Madame-blush
    [link] [comments]

    Soundproofing my room so my upstairs neighbours won't hear me screaming

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 05:06 AM PDT

    I'm an aspiring voice actor, and I'm recording my work & auditions in my bedroom. I am sort of better at doing insane characters, and those roles require a lot of screaming sometimes. I would not want my neighbours to hear that and file a complaint.

    I live in Romania, in a block of flats, and I do not know much about soundproofing/sound absorption or anything like that.

    I've visited many sites and some have said that soundproofing foam would help, others said it would not, as it only helps out with the incoming sounds from outdoors or from the said neighbours.

    What would be the best way to go about this?

    Thanks a lot for your time!

    submitted by /u/NewWeabgas
    [link] [comments]

    I hate whoever did the electrical in my sun room.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    Seriously, every time I looked at it I found something new that was horribly wrong. https://imgur.com/gallery/NGd8h8p

    submitted by /u/cosmicsans
    [link] [comments]

    Bifold into traditional?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    I have a closet that has a bi-fold door on it. I want to convert it to a traditional door. How difficult of a task is this? Im just trying to secure the closet better since its got firearm stuff in it (guns will still be in a safe).

    submitted by /u/homemadeammo42
    [link] [comments]

    Insulating Garage Walls

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:31 PM PDT

    Hey folks got a question.

    Got a new build and they only finished about 40% of my 2 car garage. I looked at some vids and I see some people installing the R13 with the fiberglass facing out toward the inside of the garage, and others faced the fiberglass toward the outside.

    They are thin exterior walls so I want to make sure I do it right. I will be finishing with drywall and tape. I do live in a colder climate, North Idaho.

    Does the facing of the paper side matter? Obviously it looks better with thr paper facing in, and I probably won't get the drywall for a month or two. What are your thoughts and thank you.

    submitted by /u/Killroyjones
    [link] [comments]

    Can't figure out where my studs are to hang my tv

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    So I'm trying to hang my TV at my new place and am so confused as to what is going on with my studs. Normally I used my magnetic stud finder and that finds me a vertical stud. Not so in this case. To help troubleshoot and try to find a pattern I have done the following

    Found every single screw and covered with blue tape. Notice the top row has two screws

    The bottom yellow fiberglass rod is one continual metal something. I'm not sure if it's a stud

    Finally I took a picture with my phone in the drywall cutout pointing straight out. I can see the horizontal metal something and a horizontal stud above that.

    Any suggestions as to what may be a stud and what that horizontal metal something is? Thanks for any help!

    Help me figure this out

    submitted by /u/Amdaxiom
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice on dealing with failing recessed CFL fixtures.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:54 PM PDT

    I'm in Northern California, the home my wife and I moved into a few months ago is a condo built in 2007. I have 3 fixtures that now don't work. I need to try a known good bulb on the latest one to fail but on the previous ones, a good bulb does not work.

    It seems likely that the ballasts in the fixtures has gone bad which is not unexpected after 12 years.

    What is the best way to go about dealing with these? Is it worth trying to replace the ballast (I have not pulled a can to see how difficult it will be to get to)? Should I consider bypassing the ballast and use an alternative bulb for such a setup? If so, how do I make it clear that the ballast has been bypassed so I don't leave the next homeowner in a bind when we do eventually need to sell?

    Or, if I ID the manufacturer and model of the fixtures, can the ballast be bypassed and the can replaced with one that has a standard screw mount?

    submitted by /u/splynncryth
    [link] [comments]

    Quikcrete for small project?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    https://m.imgur.com/a/Y2JlM9A

    https://m.imgur.com/a/nZVgJM3

    Hey guys I'm trying to see if its feasible for someone with no experience to be able to quikcrete a small area that wraps around a garage. Dogs like to dig, Kids like to play back there. Obviously I would like no chances of messing with a ground, telephone pole, meter, or digging under the fence.

    Any tips/advice on how to start, or if I should attempt a "large area" like this with no experience?

    submitted by /u/itango35
    [link] [comments]

    House needs roof, siding and windows and I can’t do them all at once. What order should I prioritize?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 06:40 PM PDT

    None of these 3 things are causing immediate, big problems but all are past due for replacement. The roof has no leaks and no sagging but it is very old. Old wood siding is ugly, cracked and rotting a bit in places so I'd like to replace with vinyl or something else modern for looks and efficiency. The windows are all old aluminum framed ones that are missing parts and let in a lot of cold in the winter.

    Is there a best order for importance or practicality? Seems like it might be easier to do windows before siding so that I don't have to worry about modifying or damaging new siding or is that not really a problem?

    submitted by /u/7DollarsOfHoobastanq
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for removing stump/table thing

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    We thought this stump table was cool when we bought the house, but quickly realized it didn't add much function. It's way too tall and over a few winters has warped and grown some neat shelf looking fungus. We would love to have a fire pit (doesn't have to be an actual pit) where the stump is. How in gods name do I remove this thing? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/The12thDimension
    [link] [comments]

    Temporary solution for leaky cement ceiling

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 10:01 PM PDT

    I'm renting an apartment unit but recently, the ceiling has been leaking. Is there any temporary solution I can do to stop the leaks while my landlord figures out a way to fix my ceiling?

    For context, I'm living an upper floor unit below an open rooftop area. So when it rains, instead of the water slowly evaporating into the air, it seeps through the cracks down to my apartment.

    I tried flex tape but it Either doesn't stick to cement or i bought a dud. Help?

    submitted by /u/Mr_Cuddlebear
    [link] [comments]

    $250 DIY cabinet update

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 07:13 AM PDT

    See photos here. I didn't take real before pictures, so I've used the listing photos.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/EVSmnX6

    I used Banjamin Moore Advance satin paint and their primer. The color is Hale Navy, I struggled with the decision between Hale navy and the SW Naval, but ultimately decided that the naval seemed better for a farmhouse vibe and the Hale was a bit more modern since it was less blue and had a bit of grey in it. I bought a gallon of each paint since the store was having a "leap day" sale (2/29) and it was $15 off per gallon. I'm sure I'll use the rest of the paint in something else because I have more than 3/4 of each gallon left over.

    We also put in a new KitchenAid stove, not included in this cost because it wasn't part of the project budget. We had our own budget for that of $1000, my husband cooks every night and lunch, we are foodies, but a gas line isn't in the budget because of the way our house is situated. And this house will be a rental in a couple years so we didn't want to splurge and move in a couple of years. We got the stove brand new on Facebook for $600, and paid our handyman $150 to break out the old stove and install this one. I'm glad I paid someone because we discovered the plug doesn't exist and it had to be hardwired into the house.

    Costs and process are detailed below:

    Paint and primer: $70 since the store was running a sale

    Sand paper, tack cloth, sanding blocks, TSP, brushes, foam roller and holder: $100

    Hardware from Amazon: $35

    Hinges: $20

    Contractor paper roll: $10

    I live in the south, and pollen started early this year so I did this entire project inside. To say that was a feat does injustice to the space I needed.

    My cabinets were in rough shape, the old owners painted them badly before we bought the house, and they didn't clean them before they painted them so I had to work to remove the old painted in dirt and grime. I spent way longer than normal sanding these with a very course sand paper.

    I cleaned with comet first, then TSP. Then sanded them within an inch of their lives and cleaned with a dust rag and tack cloth. That took a full Saturday. Sunday I primed them all with the tinted primer. Because we went so dark the tint was a must. I used a 2" brush on them and then rolled with a small foam roller. I allowed the primer to dry for two full days and came back on Wednesday after work to start painting. I lightly sanded them before the first coat of paint then wiped with a tack cloth. The first coat was split into two days because I was doing this after work. The second coat took about 5 hours on Friday night. Again, I sanded lightly and cleaned with tack cloth before painting with the brush and roller. The second coat took the longest as I was being much more careful with the paint since I wouldn't be sanding again. I let them dry for 24 hours and hung them back up Sunday morning. I did need to replace a few hinges, so I did that when replacing. The hardware was easy to install and came with a bunch of different length screws to accommodate different drawers, buying them on Amazon was a risk but I really love the way they look!

    Overall, this project wasn't too bad I'm glad I bought the Benjamin Moore paint and primer because it really is self correcting and leveling. I'm also glad I primed instead of listening to the people on YouTube saying I might not need to. It was hard doing everything indoors, but it only took a week to complete this small kitchen.

    New sink, faucet and counters will come in the future when we can agree on the counters.

    submitted by /u/ChiknTendrz
    [link] [comments]

    Thinset- how long is too long?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    Mixed up a bucket for subway tiles. Waaay to much for what I could install in two hours. Managed to mostly be able to spread it for a little over 4 hours. (correct ratio used)

    Think those tiles will pop? It's on a shower wall.

    submitted by /u/laughinghammock
    [link] [comments]

    Finishing my detached garage

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    I moved into my home this January and I've become interested in finishing my garage. I want to insulate my walls and then hang sheetrock. My only issue is that I'm trying to figure out how to water proof my walls before I add insulation, or if that step is even necessary. The current walls are plywood but directly underneath there is exposed studs and a plywood base. I wanted to have a general idea of what I should do once I rip off the old painted plywood walls in favor of insulation and sheetrock.

    submitted by /u/BrandonLH88
    [link] [comments]

    Question on basement ( possible mold ) help

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    I recently purchased a home. Home is fully paid off ( bought in cash ). No inspection was done. Here are the photos of what I have. Basement has flooded once a few years ago during a heavy storm that is not usual here where I live. Any suggestions or answers on what this is ? Is it serious ? Anything will help

    https://ibb.co/y55Pcd1

    https://ibb.co/LCDbLcy

    https://ibb.co/Kw3f72f

    submitted by /u/Flanik
    [link] [comments]

    Help with converting hallway closet into small bathroom?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    We've started thinking about redoing the only bathroom in our 3 bd/1 bath rancher. It's about 7'x10.5' and the house is only ~1,000sq ft total, so we don't have a lot of space to begin with. We were thinking of removing the hallway closet and downsizing the current bathroom closet to make just enough space to squeeze in a 3'x4' small bathroom.

    It obviously wouldn't be very big, the door would have to swing outwards due to space limitations, and it'd be right next to the main bathroom... but it seems doable? We would need to keep the small shelving area in the main bathroom to account for the current pipe access, but we wouldn't really be losing that much usable space in the main bathroom by extending the one wall a bit and getting a slightly smaller vanity. We have no idea how much this will cost us.... maybe like $10,000-12,000?

    The main/only bathroom is functional as is, but it can definitely use updating (ex: the butter- yellow tub would need to be replaced/reglazed). We plan to sell the house in ~3-4 years, so we're wondering if it makes sense to try to add the small bathroom, since most other houses in the area are at least 3 bd/1.5 baths. The house was built in the early 70's and is definitely on the smaller side compared to most other houses. We're within walking/biking distance of a university and a major hospital. We just had a new roof & gutters put up last month as well as a new hot water heater today and central air two summers ago. The lot is slightly bigger than the normal lots, and we have a newer kitchen with SS appliances as well.

    So, do you guys think it's worth trying to add the second bathroom to make us more competitive? We'd definitely follow-up with an architect/engineer/contractor to hammer out any details if it seems feasible.

    https://imgur.com/a/RYQDYGB

    submitted by /u/cheddarchexchick
    [link] [comments]

    Flower box removal

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:27 PM PDT

    We had this ugly flower box in the front of the house that we really didn't like, so we decided to get rid of it. I took off the whole structure to find out that the box was sitting in beams that are sticking out from the house. Not sure what to do with them at this point I'm thinking to cut them off and put cement on the area to cover it.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/NmeZDYj

    submitted by /u/anemanem
    [link] [comments]

    How to build composite deck on top of concrete pool surround with minimal rise

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    My pool is surrounded by ugly concrete like this https://imgur.com/a/CgC3K9i

    I've found plenty of resources for putting a deck on concrete slab but they end up being too tall. I'm looking for a max 2" rise from the slab. I'm trying to find the best way to safely secure a composite deck while keeping it as low as possible and while not putting pressure treated wood on the concrete. (Although I've had pressured treated wood planter sitting on my concrete patio for 10 years with no rotting).

    Is there some safe MacGyver way to do this? Galvanized stud/joists layed flat and secured to the concrete with galvanized L brackets? Some futuristic plastic mounting system? Open to all ideas that are not crazy expensive.

    submitted by /u/HateToSayItBut
    [link] [comments]

    What's the difference between two differently sized filter housing with the same GPM flow rate?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 05:38 PM PDT

    I'm looking at purchasing a Pentek "Big Blue" filter housing for whole-house sediment filtering; deciding between these two:

    So both would provide the same flow rate.

    Other than flow rate, what other differences are there between a smaller vs. larger cartridge/housing?

    Are you just changing cartridges less with the larger housing/cartridges?

    Specs if it's relevant: 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen, 2 adults; well water.

    submitted by /u/difranco999
    [link] [comments]

    Large tube tv drywall fix

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    Just bought a house and the previous owner had cut out a large drywall hole to put a 66 inch tv (old tube kind with stand) to make the screen flush with the drywall. I want to patch this huge cutout and just drywall it and hang my 82 inch right in that drywall. Possible? My dear is no studs... Any help would be appreciated

    I'd attach a pic if I could.

    submitted by /u/thegreatone1357
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay to caulk the gaps on the side of my kitchen cabinets?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:52 PM PDT

    Upgrading my hot water heater

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    I live in Florida and don't have gas lines in my home so electric is my only real option. I've been reading up quite a lot and I believe I've settled for a heat pump hot water heater, has any one here used these before? If so what are you're thoughts and what are the pro's/cons? Any advice would be great our unit now is about 25 years old

    submitted by /u/Btm24
    [link] [comments]

    Drainage issue near old wooden fence

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    I plan on putting vinyl fencing in, but need to correct the drainage issue.

    I am unsure if a drainage basin would work. I do not have anywhere to take the water.

    drainage issue pictures

    submitted by /u/UpnorthKING
    [link] [comments]

    Reducing patio bugs

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    Hi! Hope this is the right place to post. I'm looking for the best ways to repel outdoor bugs without any electricity. I can't run electricity from the house for a bunch of reasons.

    I know about candles and sprays, and to keep standing water away, but are they're any bug zappers that are solar or battery rechargeable? I've found some tiny ones on home shopping network but they don't seem to work too well.

    Any ideas very appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Paulanovela
    [link] [comments]

    Need a splitter for faucet hoses in newly installed double vanity

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    Replaced a single vanity with a double vanity but didn't change any of the plumbing in the wall. I cannot find a Y splitter for the hot and cold coming out of the wall. Basically I just need a splitter to send hot to two faucets and cold to two faucets.

    For some reason I can't find this anywhere, can anyone shoot me a link, Home Depot or Amazon would be great! Thank you!

    submitted by /u/neophytism
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment