• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 14, 2020

    Home security: Home Security Cameras still accessed by installer

    Home security: Home Security Cameras still accessed by installer


    Home Security Cameras still accessed by installer

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    I had my neighbor, who is a home entertainment installer and security camera installer, install cameras around my house.

    Yesterday the police needed access to my recordings for a crime involving my other neighbors. i couldn't get the app to work on my phone, so I went to my neighbors to get hi to help and he goes "oh no worries, I'll pull it up on my phone."

    I was taken aback by his non-nonchalant attitude of still having access to my cameras. I have a password setup to be able to access my cameras through my phone. But honestly, I'm not really "home security" savvy.

    I'll never be able to trust that he's given up having access. So what are my options now? How can I ensure he doesn't have access.

    submitted by /u/el_SAnTANa
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Exterior lighting and camera plan.

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    I am renovating a home and it turns out that my architect did not include a single exterior light on my plan except for the lights over the covered areas.

    A few things:

    • the home is in a historic area with heavy foot traffic.
    • There are basically no street lights so I do not mind brightening the sidewalk / area for pedestrian traffic.
    • there are two units in the property. The small rear unit will be occupied long term, and the larger 2 story unit will be an airbnb.
    • the 2nd unit has a gated entrance then an alley for entrance. I want the gateway and alley to be lit.
    • I ran Ethernet to a handful of areas with the intention of installing PoE cameras. Those areas are marked with an X on the overhead picture: https://imgur.com/W4qFxs5
    • The lights located on the porches are indicated with yellow cirlces: https://imgur.com/W4qFxs5
    • Street view: https://imgur.com/14pLFXT
    • Side renderings: https://imgur.com/bFkNNwV

    As mentioned I have no exterior lights. I would prefer dimmable LED flood lights. The motion capabilities can be built in or automated with cameras and external PIR sensors. I am also considering pathway lighting down the alleys.

    What I really would like suggestions with is where to place the lights since I am wrapping up with the electrician soon. The backyard is fairly small 14 x 20.

    submitted by /u/moosefist
    [link] [comments]

    Camera systems easy enough for my mother to use

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 09:36 PM PDT

    Camera systems easy enough for my mother to use

    I'm having difficulty finding a solution stable and user friendly enough for my mother to use at her house. Any input would be appreciated.

    Requirements: - Ease of use! Receive push notifications and view all cameras from one app anywhere in the world - local recording preferable (no cloud subscription if possible but not a deal breaker) - built to last 5+ years - Secure! I am adept at networking and can setup separate VLANS if necessary. However, securing the system cannot preclude my mom from being able to receive notifications and view cameras from anywhere (AKA she shouldn't have to flip on a VPN on her phone to view cameras)

    Cameras: - (1) Doorbell Cam with push notifications when rang and push notifications upon motion detection - 6 outdoor cameras with night vision

    Info: - Ethernet is run to the doorbell already - Outdoor cameras must survive Chicago winters - Echo show integration would be amazing

    What I've considered so far: - Axis - Ubiquiti Unifi: Not ONVIF-compatible; no doorbell (yet) - Hikvision: security concerns(?) - Ring: subscription only :(

    Bonus if there is a way for motion detection on outdoor cameras to trigger floodlights between the hours of say 12am and 5am. Thinking of using Lutron Caseta and IFTTT for this.

    submitted by /u/appleciderpie
    [link] [comments]

    Please criticize my idea in Google Form otherwise this obsession keeps me awake :)

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 05:17 AM PDT

    Hey, guys!

    A month ago I lost his driving license and was really sad and nervous.

    I searched the car, the apartment, all the pockets of the jackets, the driver's license was not found. I spent a lot of time for making new one, went to the police, took new photos for documents. I could not drive for 2 weeks because there were no documents. As a result, the driver's license was restored.

    Last week, I drove the car to a full wash. When I returned for a clean car, my lost driver's license lay on the seat. It was found while cleaning the car under the seats :)

    After that, I had an idea. What if to make a documents case with a tracker and a lock that only you can open? What do you, guys, think of it?

    Please criticize my idea in Google Form otherwise this obsession keeps me awake :)

    https://forms.gle/XCgdhpe93i6ScZr2A

    submitted by /u/Lizzy-bobrova
    [link] [comments]

    Corner House and Fence

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 08:30 PM PDT

    Hey All,

    Bought a house on a corner lot in a residential neighborhood last year and now looking to put up a fence to keep my dog in and provide some privacy/boundary.

    I am between a 4.5ft 4 board fence and a 6ft privacy fence both wood. The front of my house is the major road for the development and the side is a minor road. My back neighbor has my side on that minor road lined with junker cars that are ugly but don't bother me too much.

    I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of each fence in regards to security and I hear conflicting information about high fences on corner lots and that making it more burglary prone. I want the privacy and the hiding of the junker cars but I don't want to make myself a target. What are your thoughts on my situation and choices?

    submitted by /u/Garobo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment