• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 14, 2020

    Home Improvement: [UPDATE] I’m expecting a tree to fall on my house today

    Home Improvement: [UPDATE] I’m expecting a tree to fall on my house today


    [UPDATE] I’m expecting a tree to fall on my house today

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 02:21 PM PDT

    original post

    Boring, but relieved, update. Tree is still standing, as is my house. Winds were much less fierce than forecasted. Now I'll look into having the tree professionally (and legally) removed the proper way. Thanks for all your advice!

    submitted by /u/Augusta13
    [link] [comments]

    Can't afford a backsplash so I painted one

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/sTFDLe3 Took about 3-4 hours to tape the design, and I used old wall paint that was lying around.

    submitted by /u/zorozara
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: clean your washing machine if you have some free time!

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:07 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/qjIsyEX

    My husband & I bought a new house about 4 months ago that came with a standard GE washer & dryer. The washer drum was so built up with soap residue that I didn't even want to use it. But I managed to scrub most of that off with water/vinegar & it works fine. It has a fabric softener dispenser in the agitator, looks like a cup. I noticed that was kind of built up too but I couldn't get the damn thing off & didn't want to break it.

    I got bored on Easter so I scrubbed the washer drum again to get the rest of the soap residue out (wish I took photos of that) & I dumped hot water into the fabric softener cup over & over until it cleared up a bit. Eventually I was able to pull the cup off & the photo is what I found underneath. A whole bunch of build up that had the consistency of butter. Disgusting looking!!! I scraped it out with a butter knife & scrubbed with hot water/vinegar. Then the cup was able to go back in & actually drain out like it's supposed to. Hallelujah! Felt so damn satisfying.

    TL;DR if you're stuck at home & bored, do some cleaning/maintenance on stuff you might have forgotten about or been too busy to get to.

    Also anyone know if there are certain products that are LESS likely to clog up your washer? I use liquid Gain & Snuggle. I'm guessing the previous owners used powdered soap & maybe that caused the buildup?

    submitted by /u/Crazy_catt_lady
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to replace a ceiling light with a ceiling light + fan combo?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    We converted a storage space in our home to a workout area, problem is that the ceiling lighting is hideous and dim and it gets hot fast. I was wondering about buying a light/fan combo and installing it myself but the lighting store I called (they offer virtual consultations) said I needed an electrician because the fan and the light have separate wiring. I don't really want to have anyone come into our home at this time for nonemergencies. Just thought I'd ask for any solutions before I bought a cheap box fan. Just to clarify, there is an existing fixture installed in the spot I want to put it

    submitted by /u/WeddingElly
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for remodeling home

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    I'm undergoing a major home reno: new kitchen, bathrooms, finishing basement, laundry room, front porch deck, etc. I'm working with a designer/contractor team but looking to maximize my budget so I can make as much as my dream list come true. The home's bones, and floors are solid. I've budgeted for the needed electrical and plumbing upgrades. What are some pitfalls I need to avoid? what are some tips as we are demoing? What am I not thinking of lol? Experiences and Advice are welcomed!

    submitted by /u/HudsonCountyFella
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a Structured Media Box Where a Stud is?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    Recently, I embarked on moving all networking equipment to a closet inside a bedroom. So far so good, all the equipment and wires are now where they need to be. However instead of mounting everything to the wall, I wanted to take a cleaner approach and install a Leviton 28in SMC to put all my networking equipment inside.

    Normally the panel would go between two studs, however, where I am installing it, there is a stud in the middle. Hopefully this photo will illustrate what I am saying(red is the stud, green is where the panel will go.) I apologize for the messy networking equipment & the closet is narrow so It's difficult to get a directly straight photo.

    Now my question is, would I cut out the stud between the green lines, then lay two studs horizontally(where both green lines are)? Then the panel could sit flush and also be screwed into these horizontal studs?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/iModFrenzyV2
    [link] [comments]

    Yard is full of broken glass, how to clean up?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    We bought a house last summer that had a very overgrown yard. During the fall and winter, the weeds and grass died off, revealing the soil underneath.

    The entire 1/2 acre yard is covered in glass. Broken window panes, broken bottles, broken cups, broken tempered glass ....etc all semi buried and seemingly evenly distributed in the yard.

    Twice now our dogs have have cut their paws in the yard. And it seems like every day I go out I find new pieces of glass.

    Any ideas on how I can clean this up?

    We do need to re-grade our yard (the backyard slopes down towards the house and is above the sill plate) which requires lowering the level of the entire thing by a good 6-12". Though I'm not sure where I can dispose of dirt that's filled with glass...

    submitted by /u/appropriateinside
    [link] [comments]

    Parts of hardwood floor is sun faded, will a sand and refinish make everything even again?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/Bm1HETF

    I am in the process of tearing up old carpet. I noticed that the previous owners probably had a stair runner judging by the pattern on the stair treads. Will the color even out after a refinish? The sun is at the top of these stairs, the south side.

    submitted by /u/cckriss
    [link] [comments]

    One Door Bell Two Chimes?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    I live in a 3 family with 3 separate doorbells and 3 separate door chimes, one for each floor. I occupy the first two floors and purchased a smart doorbell so that I can see if there is a package arriving etc. Does anyone know how I can wire the doorbell so that when I press the button on my smart doorbell the chime rings on both floors?

    I don't want to purchase another smart doorbell. I was hoping I can just have one.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/MarcinK95
    [link] [comments]

    advice needed for Dekton countertops. Chipping away.

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    We finally got around to remodeling our forever house and splurged for dekton countertops believing they were the best. Less than two years later we have some significant damage. We have babied them and can't believe how fragile they are. We have had marble, quartz and corion, and never experienced this before.

    Big disappointment. This area is right above our dishwasher, so it does see some activity, but we never thought they would fail this bad.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Is there a nice edge protector I can purchase to prevent future chipping?

    Any thoughts on any potential repair solutions? The material is solid in color, so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

    pics here... link

    submitted by /u/michelework
    [link] [comments]

    Wallpaper behind baseboards

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    So I bought a house built in the early 80s, and it has original wallpaper in it. Some rooms have had the wallpaper taken out, and left at the drywall. So with all of this newly found time on my hands I've gotten around to repainting the house. I've found that they didn't remove the wallpaper behind the wood trim and baseboards, and you can see it sticking out. Should I pull the boards and remove it, or just caulk over it and go?

    submitted by /u/405King
    [link] [comments]

    How to get my bathtub to stop draining all of my water?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    I love taking baths, and overall I'm a tall person so I need more water in the tub. We have this thing that drains the water if it gets too high, now my question is, how do I stop this from draining the water at all? I would love to take baths again. Thank you :) Heres the photo of the drainer, it's like a box with a metal rectangle that you can move around. The drains are holes on the side.

    submitted by /u/naturaltiddies
    [link] [comments]

    No pressure in newly renovated sink? Where’d I go wrong? VIDEO INCLUDED

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    This has been happening for about 6 months but I'm posting about it now . After I finished the renovation and siliconed the back granite strip behind the faucet, I realized the pressure on the sink is not what it should be. I installed everything right, any thoughts?

    VIDEO TO SINK PROBLEM

    submitted by /u/mahrama
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix noisy stairs with limited access?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    So I have some very noisy stairs in my split level home. The run going up stairs doesn't really have rear access because the HVAC blocks it. I've watched several videos on how to make them less noisy but that's all done from the back of the stairs. Is my only option really to remove that section of HVAC fix the stairs and put it back?

    Thank you!

    https://imgur.com/a/7WHsYkU

    submitted by /u/evanbagnell
    [link] [comments]

    Came across some black at the bottom corner of my mom's shower. I want to try a fix for her (can't hire anyone obviously) but I'm not sure where to start. Any beginner advice? Note: bottom is still black after a couple hours of scrubbing. So I don't think it's just mold. Pic in comments.

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    Feeding wire to breaker box in wall?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    I need to add a breaker and wire to an in-wall breaker box. I am struggling, however, with how to make this happen. The wires all run through a hole drilled into the top plate in the attic and down from there, behind the sheetrock/insulation, to the breaker box. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/topwoodrock
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding a cooling solution

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 05:54 PM PDT

    Hi there. So I'm desperate to find some type of solution to living in my super hot house. My dad is extremely stingy with the a/c, in the summers he keeps the upstairs (where my room is) at 83 during the day & 81 during the night. I absolutely can't stand it especially since we live in Arizona where the summers are brutal. He's not willing to lower the AC so I thought that I would purchase a portable AC unit just for my bedroom. I bought the Black & Decker 8,000 BTU portable ac unit. Turns out I have to return the unit because 1) the outlet in my bedroom does not have a strong enough voltage, and 2) I can't open the window for the exhaust pipe because the dry 115 degree AZ heat would overpower the cold air coming from the unit. I have looked into purchasing a window A/C unit but that won't work for me either. I have a screen on my window that my dad won't let me remove and my window opens vertically, not horizontally. I have looked into purchasing a swamp cooler as well but every one I've looked into has a mix of poor and great reviews. I thought I would come here and see if anyone had some suggestions??? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/frandemarzio
    [link] [comments]

    Painting?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit.

    You know everything. We inherited lovely Adirondackchairs when we moved into our house but i think they need some tlc. Should i paint them?

    submitted by /u/maryalice28
    [link] [comments]

    Any idea what this pipe is?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/RMPA8xa.jpg

    This pipe was here when we bought our house from the previous owner. It's right next to our patio so I'm guessing it's a closed-off natural gas pipe? No idea why someone would close it off though. Home was built in 2008 in a suburban neighborhood. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/obiwanshinobi87
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice and help with cracking / peeling paint from wood siding

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    We bought a home a few years ago and the previous owners did a "for sale" paint job on the siding. Home was built in 1960's and siding is from that time - a T11 type plywood siding.

    The paint in some areas is cracking and peeling away. In some areas i can pick the paint off with my fingernail. Concerned that this would cause some water damage & rot. The entire home was neglected by the previous owners (who lived there for 35+ years and bragged about not putting a single nail into the home!!). Siding in particular probably had not been painted in the entire time they lived there but only did a quick / cheapest paint job for sale.

    We have been working on mainly interior projects and replacing the siding is on the list but not something i want to do right now and if i can push it off by 2 years it would be great (crazy times now).

    What is the best option in this case?

    Scrape off paint that is cracking, putty, prime and paint OR can i use a good primer and use elastomeric paint? Will it hold or will it still keep cracking and peeling?

    Pics https://imgur.com/a/9QJ0VQm

    submitted by /u/biroc
    [link] [comments]

    Repairing Flagstone Pond Surround

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    My house has a large cement pond in the backyard, surrounded by flagstones mortared in. A few have come loose and I want to fix them, but don't want to half ass it. I was thinking of just getting some structural adhesive, but thought there's probably a better way to do it.

    I pulled up one of the loose stones, and it looks like it wasn't really anchored all that thoroughly in the first place. How should I go about fixing this permanently? I'm not terribly worried about quick and easy, I'd rather only do this once. Something probably worth mentioning is these are all 3-6" above the water line.

    submitted by /u/BlackholeZ32
    [link] [comments]

    High roofing quotes?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    I bought a house last year. At the time of buying everything seemed fine. The house was built in the early 1900's. Since buying the house and working on the attic, I've noticed a couple leak spots while up there. The house has slate for the upper roof with the lower porch roof being asphalt shingle. The house is pretty square with mainly hips and I'd say about a 45 degree slope on all sides. I also have a two car detached garage thats asphalt.. I've been looking at what to do and got a couple quotes from a contractors in the area.

    The first was around 20000 to do both house and garage roofs. Nothing aside from that. Don't have the quote in front of me as I travel for work but pretty much nothing but tearing off and replacing the roofs.

    Another contractor I'm sitting at around 22000 to do the house roof only but with a few caveats. The second quote is for all new roof, removal of chimney from roof, power vent installation, fix a bathroom vent thats not properly done, as well as brand new 6" gutters all around. Wondering if these quotes are exceptionally high or correct for the work being done. I see everyone saying around 8-10k for the average roof

    Also house is around 1700 sq ft two story home and would be installed with full CertainTeed system with ice guard and synthetic underlayment and all that. Live in Ohio. Sorry, not the most versed in roofing. Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/Icesick06
    [link] [comments]

    Rad heating not working

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. We have radiant heating throughout our house. It works on water heated by gas. Over the last couple of days, none of the radiators are emitting heat. The radiators run on the same boiler that supplies our taps with water. We still have hot water

    I have tried restarting the boiler, resetting the thermostat, bleeding the rads/boiler but no luck. It's a Navien and installed new in 2015. Any suggestions to try before I call in a professional?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/crazymonkey2020
    [link] [comments]

    trying to remove toilet supply line- it still lets out water even with the main turned off.

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    Redoing flooring in the bathroom and tried to take off the supply line to I could make sure the flange sat on top of the new flooring.

    Removed toiled just fine, but when trying to remove the supply line, even with the main turned off and water run in the sink until it ran dry, detaching the supply line still had water coming out. Had to just reattach it quickly to make the water stop.

    What did I do wrong??

    ***EDIT I meant I'm trying to pull up the shut off valve, not the supply line. The part with the flange on the floor :)

    submitted by /u/Aware-Reaction
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment