• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 15, 2020

    Home security: Underground Garage - What Security Camera?

    Home security: Underground Garage - What Security Camera?


    Underground Garage - What Security Camera?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    I live in a condo building and park on the second floor underground. There is poor wifi down there, but I believe I will have access to power.

    Crime isn't a real concern, although there is an occasional car break in (~2 per year).... I like gadgets, so I'm thinking about installing a security camera covering my 2 parking spots.

    Do you have any advice regarding set up options, what camera(s) to look at, how to wire etc? The ceiling is exposed so there are plenty of options for hidden surveillance (above the spots I own, pointing at only my vehicles.. I think that covers me from a privacy and legality perspective).

    I realize remote monitoring is likely out of the question with weak wifi.

    I saw the blink camera and that sort of interests me.

    I am able to point the camera at my cars only so there would little to no interference from other vehicles and false motion detection.

    submitted by /u/niko381
    [link] [comments]

    Home outdoor camera

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 12:34 AM PDT

    The insolence and shamelessness of people has never been questioned. Inability to stay in two places at once - likewise. On that occasion, I have some questions for the redditors regarding the home outdoor camera.

    I've read that Nest and Arlo are great ones. But the problem is that both of the companies do not ship to my country. Also, I've been notified that there are simiral but cheaper solutions.

    What IP outdor camera do you recommend? I've got not more then 10m in front of and behind the house that I'd like to be able to check out.

    Are you generally satisfied with the surveillance? Detection / night recording of driveways, yards .. Do you use any of the cloud packages to save history? Do you use some dedicated device to display camera stream or you check what's up on your smartphones and tablets?

    submitted by /u/liqvi
    [link] [comments]

    Need help figuring out a reliable camera to buy

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 11:13 PM PDT

    I've had some suspicious activity going on around my house. My fence was cut and had a chair placed by it. On a separate occasion I heard someone jump over my fence and take off running. Some guy in a hoodie always lurking around in the bushes at night. Dogs sometimes going absolutely nuts barking in odd tones that tells me it's more than just a cat. Figuring out this home security camera stuff is a bit overwhelming at the moment and I'd like some suggestions.

    It sure would ease my mind if I had a reliable security option.

    Criteria:

    -is under $200

    -can withstand rain and heat.

    -sends notifications when movement is detected

    -records the entire thing, not just 10 seconds then a 5 minute wait

    -night vision!

    -clear enough picture

    -I really need it to be wireless but I guess I could work around this if it's worth it

    -I briefly heard that having one based off of wifi can clog up the network or something along those lines. I'd reallly rather it not interfere with things too much if possible.

    -If it's possible to only run it off my phone or tablet instead of needing a separate computer but if it comes down to it I have one I can use.

    -Don't ask me why but I think 2 way audio is creepy and prefer to just be able to hear them if anything.

    -I heard some can be "hacked" into. I have a creepy "friend" who is into that sort of thing and admitted to doing things like that to others just because he can for fun. Doesn't really matter since it won't be on anything important but it would be nice if I had tips on how to stay safe in that regard. Am a noob on this sort of thing but I'm actively learning more. Would having this on my phone also put my phone more at risk around this maniac?

    -is it possible to get one that alerts you when it gets disconnected too? Like if my wifi gets shut off is there one that sends out a quick distress signal?

    I'm sure I'm asking for too much but I'm aiming high and will probably end up settling.

    submitted by /u/loOoIoOol
    [link] [comments]

    Biscuit placed in front of door on driveway in clear view from the road

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    I'm from the UK. We've recently moved into a house. Not sure if we're being paranoid or whether it's just an odd coincidence, but just outside the front of our door on our drive, twice now (in the last 2 months) we have found a biscuit placed in plain sight. Same kind of biscuit, same place. First time we just thought it was funny, but second time around seems a little odd and it could be a marker for burglars. Is there any truth to this? What would be the goal of leaving a biscuit in plain sight just in front of our door on the driveway?

    Anyway - going to purchase a couple of CCTV cameras to keep an eye on things and potentially see if another biscuit gets placed down and whether we will see who. Will also be getting a driveway bollard and maybe even a dog.

    submitted by /u/dyingnan123
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a camera kit, didn’t think about the fact that I’d need a monitor, what are some of your favorite options for a budget basic monitor?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    I pretty much only want this thing so that I can view it from my room. I really wish I could do that and also have it display on my tv in the living room if I wanted to check it out, but my router only works with the plug in my bedroom so I'm sol on that unfortunately.

    Anyway, what is a good under 200 dollar tv or monitor that you'd suggest?

    submitted by /u/Lone_Wandererer
    [link] [comments]

    IPCam Antennas

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 03:59 PM PDT

    I bought some foscam cameras (FI9816P + FI8918W) that came without antennas (I know Foscam isn't great, but they've been working well for my setup). I ordered these 9dBi antennas and although they fit the cams, they don't work well at all: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-9dBi-2-4GHz-5GHz-Dual-Band-RP-SMA-WiFi-Antennas-Linksys-EA6900-ASUS-RT-AC68U/391436843704?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

    I also tried some antennas from my routers and they don't work well. But all the official fiscal antennas from my other camera work well, so it isn't the new cameras that are causing the issue. Did I order the wrong antennas? What specs do I need for a wifi ipcam?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/anticrom2
    [link] [comments]

    Car spray painted, camera didn't record anything

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    Hi,

    My car has been spray painted overnight and there is a 20 minute gap between when my camera recorded cars going past which is when it happened. It's not continuous recording but based on movement.

    My neighbours said the same thing - their cameras didn't catch anyone. How is that possible? Could someone wear something that would basically make them invisible to the camera? (This happened at night by the way).

    The camera is a Swann PRO-1080MSB

    submitted by /u/ApexCrisis
    [link] [comments]

    Help with camera system please

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    Hi, I have recently bought a house and it has come with 4 security cameras (one on each corner of the house, the previous owner has left me a digital video recorder and various cables where the all meet in the house, I have never used any sort of camera system so some help with how to set up would be greatly appreciated. ( I tried to post pictures but I cant) Thanks

    submitted by /u/Callum291195
    [link] [comments]

    Honeywell lyric controller

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    Bought a house a couple weeks ago and it has a lyric controller installed that isn't currently monitored. Also have series of security features, cameras hooked up, the works. But it seems like it's all worthless because the only thing seeming to work is the frontdoor and garage door, which announce themselves when open. I can't get into to this system at all. Wasn't left with a master code, can't see any listed users, or even get to that section. Tried the 'installer codes' and several YouTube diy's. Unhooked the machine and tried resetting it to no avail. My realtor has no clue what I should do as the previous owners provided no codes for the system. Honeywell said I should contact the previous monitoring system for their installer code. Alarm system said I should get in contact with previous owner (I can't), or they will send a tech out and charge me to reset.

    Does anyone have any guidance on this? Any recommendations at all would be helpful. Thanks

    submitted by /u/KanoodleSoup
    [link] [comments]

    How to get around a prewired system from builder?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 02:09 AM PDT

    Moved into a brand new home built by Toll Brothers. The home comes prewired with an alarm system, all windows, doors, motion etc but I was told none of it would work unless I signed up for their monitoring at an expensive rate per month. I see a DSC panel but there is no power to it.

    In my last home, there was also an alarm system with a similar DSC panel. I could set the alarm so it would go off with a loud noise if someone were to open any doors/windows but it wasn't connected to any monitoring.

    Can I do the same in this house? How would I go about turning the panel on? Any way to get around using their monitoring system? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/firedfemme
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment